AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-08-25, 20:48   Link #61
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I like cool mechanical things like Star Wars’ Star Destroyer, ATAT, Millenium Falcon, Star Trek’s Ships, Airwolf, KITT, Viper, Iron-Man’s armors, etc. So I’m automatically drawn to cool humanoid giant robot designs. In fact, it’s baffling how some people like Iron-Man and his suits but despise giant cool robots in animes solely by concept and designs. Many of the mechas in anime are simply bigger, cooler, crazier, more varied and overall more well-designed since more thoughts are put into them. Not to mention that there are a number of shows with a lot better stories than Iron-Man movies combined. You must’ve heard about Gundam franchise (among others). The core story of the franchise (UC) is mostly great, realistic and gripping, at least for many people. The characters are relatable and awesome, the story is realistic sci-fi, the battles are well-animated and thrilling, the music are great and certain moments in the show can give you some feels. It’s just that enjoyable.

When a mecha show comes up, I will first observe the designs of the mechs and then read the synopsis and if I like it, I’ll check out the first few episodes of show. If the show clicked with me then I’ll continue watching then becomes the fan of the show if it’s good. It’s that simple since.

Those people who hate mecha mostly just don’t like the concept of watching characters using giant robots to battle each other, or think that all mechs shows are meant for kids and there’s no other value in the show beyond the cool robots. I can easily understand the former reasoning, but the latter is clearly wrong.
Old 2017-08-26, 13:20   Link #62
PhoenixRising

I like mecha too, but I have to agree with Tanuki too about how its not really the mecha themselves that i find interesting. Its actually how the directors navigate real world issues e.g. war, child soldiers using the mechas that is the most interesting part.

However, I don't like it when mecha shows use a standard trope over and over again.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote