AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-04, 10:51   Link #61
Savia

Send a message via AIM to Savia Send a message via MSN to Savia
Well,

5: Marmalade Boy: epic romance that's also got a good sense of humour. Never slips the reader's attention. Eight volumes.

4: Mars: even more epic at fifteen volumes, and very tense and emotional throughout. A page-turner like no other- impossible to stop ^_^;

3: Blade of the Immortal: an action manga with stunning art, direction, plot and characters that are vibrant and believable. Another great page-turner, albeit one that drags the eyes back again and again to appreciate the fine detail of the art.

2: Narutaru (Shadow Star): another manga with good art, that is darkly energetic and involving like few others. An excellent plot combined with shocking visuals and an original concept that is carried well by an obviously extremely competent author.

1: Yokomaha Kaidashi Kikou (Record of a Yokohama Shopping Log): it's been going for nearly ten years, and I could happily read it for another ten or more. Art to make your soul ache and your day brighten. The kind of slow, subtle plot that only a very few can write well. Characters that after only a few panels seem as familiar as family. Emotion and beauty and elegance unbounded.
Old 2004-03-04, 12:41   Link #62
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Well, maybe I'll finally do my post in this yet again favourite manga thread.
It'll be very hard for me to try to restrict myself at five manga, but I'll try my best.
So here they arein no particular order :

- GTO : A terribly fun story that gets you going and laughing all the time, while following the beginer teacher Onizuka and his whole Junior high class. But a manga that also gives you a good insight at japanese culture and it's current problems and shortcoming. The lot supported by a good and realistic art.

- Akira : A classic, and the first manga I ever read, excellent art served by a long, original and complex story set in a bleak near future and staring a band of young bikers and their confrontation with the military and their strange secret project. What is there to add, this manga has inspired generations of mangaka, in terms of both form and content.

- Beck : An excellent story with excellent art focusing on a young man that discovers music and then depectiong the progress of the emerging rock band he joins. The story is quite realistic and really manages to create a realistic setting with lots of secondary charachters.

- Hikaru no Go : A manga about go, and how a young boy came to like it and live his life for it. Sounds lame? It might, but the surprising thig is that it itsn't. It manages to grip the interest and never let go passionationg the reader for Go and the world of go that is depected very accurately through the progress of Hikaru (the young boy hero of the story)

- Monster : A dark manga that depicts a terrible investigation lead by a genius doctor with an altruist mind who comes into contact with individuals so cruel they defy his imagination. It is a splendidly written story that keeps the reader begging for more. The art, while it seemed just so-so to me at first really goes well with the story and allows the author to draw vivid charchters.

- Harukana machi e (Jirô TANIGUCHI) : A manga that feels like a novel, with a very simple but yet powerfull art. It relates the history of a middleaged salary man that gets sened back for a time 30 years ago in his 14 year old self. It really is an amazing read that I recommand to anybody, and in particular to people that think manga are for kids or just fun stuff.

Other of my favorite include : Gumn, Blade of the immortal, Apple Seed, Eden, 3x3 eyes, Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, Blame, Flame of Recca, Midori no Hbibi...
Old 2004-03-04, 18:02   Link #63
Diedrupo

i've read tons of stuff over the years, the five that I can remember right now, manga-wise (that is, japan-originated comics), are:
1. Maison Ikkoku
2. I''s
3. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
4. Monster
5. Hana Yori Dango
Old 2004-03-05, 16:09   Link #64
Shirayuki
<insert cool title>

there's way too many mangas I'm addicted to right now, and since I'm more of a manga person than an anime person... > >;; here's my current list anyway:

- tsubasa resovoir chronicles
- xxxholic
- naruto
- bleach
- prince of tennis
- black cat
- peace maker kurogane
- saiyuki reload
- full metal alchemist
- and a buncha other ones @_@;;
Old 2004-03-06, 04:55   Link #65
Meier
A Beck anime? SWOON!

1. Beck
2. Monster
3. I"s
4. Kare Kano
5. One Piece
Old 2004-03-10, 10:46   Link #66
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

1-Naruto
2-One piece

only have two
Old 2004-03-10, 20:57   Link #67
nicotine
Highly Addictive

Send a message via AIM to nicotine Send a message via MSN to nicotine
seeing as i've only read one manga i'm going to have to go with that...Love Hina!
Old 2004-03-12, 14:27   Link #68
Nyssane
Mohji Fanboi

Send a message via AIM to Nyssane Send a message via MSN to Nyssane
1. One Piece
2. Vampire Game
3. Demon Diary
4. FAKE
5. Petshop of Horrors
Old 2004-03-13, 20:19   Link #69
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

5. Record of Lodoss War: The Lady of Pharis (Ryo Mizuno - Akihiro Yamada) Some good ol fashioned midieval combat! Sorcerors and swordsman, sinful distaste and royal honor... it's all on the line here.

4. Love Hina (Ken Akamatsu) Unbelievably hilarious and touching material! This is probably one of my favorites because of the storyboarding, simply excellent.

3. Ghost In The Shell (Masamune Shirow) How can a manga that approaches humanity's existence not be high up on the list? This one is beautiful and philosophically magical in every way, shape and form.

2. Real Bout High School (Reiji Saiga - Sora Inoue) Not only does this manga have some of the best martial arts in comics that I've seen in a long time, but these characters fight with and for honor... and not for meaningless bloodshed. Keep in mind that the anime pales in comparison to this spectacular comic...

1... Phoenix (Osamu Tezuka) They call him the God of Manga, you know. His storytelling is legendary, and his post-futuristic insight is equally matched by very few in current days. The varyous Phoenix storys tell us all a lesson in one way or another, and relates to us all on one level or another; truly remarkable.
Old 2004-03-14, 00:21   Link #70
llama

Send a message via AIM to llama
1. Wish
2. Marmalade Boy
3. Inu Yasha
4. Kodocha
5. Slayers
Old 2004-03-15, 01:47   Link #71
yakipurinzuki

1. Tenshi Nanka Janai
2. Nana (so far anyway)
3. Rurouni Kenshin
4. Hana Yori Dango
5. Gokinjo Monogatari

My numbers 1, 2, and 5 are by the same mangaka, Yazawa Ai. After reading her works, the shoujo manga genre is ruined for you! No one else is half as good.
Old 2004-04-11, 03:58   Link #72
Zyan

City Hunter
Slamdunk
Love Hina
Hikaru no Go
I's

The mangas I have read numbered in the hundreds. There are a lot of others I really really like such as Bastard, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Psychometrist(?) etc but the above are the ones I have re-read the most often.
Old 2004-04-11, 05:15   Link #73
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Very hard to say. Here's a rough list:

1. Midori no Hibi and Black Cat - tie

2. Love Hina

3. Akira

4. Pretty Face

5. Yakitate!! Japan
Old 2004-04-11, 11:30   Link #74
Maikeru
Fabulous Muscles

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru
  1. Naruto
  2. One Piece
  3. I"s
  4. Cowboy Bebop
  5. Rurouni Kenshin
Old 2004-04-11, 23:32   Link #75
Ruisu
勇気ある者

Send a message via AIM to Ruisu
...and I am drawn into the fold:

1) Tenjou Tenge - A fighting manga with a storyline? WOW!

2) Boboboubo Boubobo - The sheer hylarity of this one is enough for me to buy it.

3) Hakaima Sadamitsu - Not the most original of concepts, but it is pulled off extremely well.

4) Hamerun no Baiorin-hiki (The Violinist of Hameln) - There's something to be said when a story about a guy lugging around a big violin can take up 37 volumes, and not get dull or boring.

5) Ashita no Joe - The original inspiration story. Incredibly powerful for being just a boxing manga... >.>
Old 2004-04-15, 13:53   Link #76
Velg
The Jackal

1. Fullmetal Alchemist
2. GetBackers
3. Naruto
4. Gantz
5. Trigun
Old 2004-04-18, 00:50   Link #77
yukari_kiss
dreamer flyer

here are my favs at the moment, as I'm often changing as i discover more and more goodies in the manga world, hehehe:

1) Itazurana Kiss (OMG!!! this manga made me laugh, cry, frustrated, happy....all the emotions in the world, so good so good, the only downside was the mangaka died before she could finish the series)

2) Power!! (sooooo funny, totally loved it, from beginning to end! it doesn't lose its humour...just didn't like how sometimes, this one character becomes naked at the most random scenes)

3) Akuma de Sourour ( it's sooo sweet and it deals with a lot of other issues other than love! the art is very unique i reckon, i totally love the art, should have a look at the art! and the story, of course)

4) Dream Saga ( i don't know, i just have this thing about people from this world being transferred into another world kinda thing...hehe it's such a sweet story too)

5) Hot Gimmick ( the art is unique too...lol I'm a sucker for unique arts! and the story is somewhat dark yet sweet and it's never ever boring although it's twisting and turning sooooo much!)

sorry...i'm a really big shoujo fan...lol i'm a sucker for romantic stories or just sweet stories...
Old 2004-04-18, 09:42   Link #78
pbruiz

Maison Ikkoku
Bastard
Berserk
Marmalade Boy
Kare Kano
Old 2004-04-18, 09:43   Link #79
refused!

1. Love Hina
2. Full Metal Panic
3. Naruto
4. Hunter x Hunter

That's problaby the only ones worth mentioning....
Old 2004-04-18, 19:49   Link #80
S_Hikari

hrm..
In no particular order

Marmalade Boy
Fruits Basket
Rurouni Kenshin
Hunter x Hunter
Prince of Tennis
Closed Thread