AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-01-18, 21:23   Link #61
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is that any different that painting something with dogma and pretending is doesn't exist? It doesn't go anywhere either.

It is like repeatedly white walling wall art that gets painted again and again and again. If no one bothered to scrape off the old paint, it will eventually fall off by being too thick for the wall to support. The same goes for painting ideology over the dogma repeatedly. Eventually it will all fall away. The wall of truth is under all the paint.

History is. Noble or not noble. That it was written down at least lets someone point to it later and say it happened. It would be up to the reader to decide how important it is, and then it gets put into books based on ideology or dogma.

It is finding the originals without the bias that is the tricky part.
Old 2012-01-18, 21:52   Link #62
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Sure, one can rob and kill someone, as long as he writes it in the history books, it is all good. How noble.

As I said, painting it with ideology and pretending that one has the moral high ground is not going anywhere.
They can't change the past, but they can admit to it. And they do admit to it, and they (usually) admit that it was wrong. You can't really ask much more of them.

Besides, the british of today, are not the british of 100 years ago. Do not visit the sins of the father onto the son.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 22:03   Link #63
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
They can't change the past,
Well that they are telling us anyway.....
(Go Go Mikuru, Time Traveling Waitress)
Old 2012-01-18, 22:32   Link #64
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Spoiler for slightly OT rant: on 'History':

Now, on topic: I take it this means the continuation of the status quo limbo for Taiwan's China policy, right?

Well, good for everyone. At least for the short term.

Oh, and the New York Times is being itself again. By itself I mean it being this consensus-of-American-opinion, media institution-of-record thing that it usually does when it's not under fire from angry Fox News watchers over wedgy domestic issues.

As in, it's trying to be optimistic in continuing the Democracy in China line based on public Chinese reactions to the Taiwanese Presidential election. Interesting article, most certainly reflecting American hopes, but I doubt this is the beginning of a new dawn for Chinese Democracy or something so crazy.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 22:57   Link #65
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

@Irenicus: I completely agree. I've always loved to read history, I devour it with abandon. Historians don't get enough respect, not only that, but historians get conflated with idealogues.

I think Western Historians haven't put enough into documenting China though. For instance, 19th century China is really under-represented in literature. You might find 100 publications dealing with the American Civil war, or Franco-Prussian war, but only 3 or 4 on the Taiping Rebellion.

It's not so much a matter of bias, but on certain subjects being under-represented. Like the 2nd Sino-Japanese War, the volume of books on it is a magnitude lower then the volume of books on every other theater in WW2. This does seem to be getting corrected though.
Old 2012-01-18, 23:01   Link #66
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You can only make books if you have source materials to cite.
Old 2012-01-19, 00:40   Link #67
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Somewhat off topic question here.

Spoiler for off topic question:
Old 2012-01-19, 02:25   Link #68
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

I don't know what Flying Tigers is until I looked up Wikipedia (nice to have it back), and I spent 15 years in Hong Kong. It is too small of an episode in WWII to be widely known by most Chinese.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 04:45   Link #69
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

How about Alexander von Falkenhausen.

It's a bit ironic that Germany's military aid to Chiang Kai Chek, and the german trained divisions that came from it, was instrumental in China managing to hold out against Japan.
Old 2012-01-19, 05:29   Link #70
Xion Valkyrie

I really doubt China would eventually end up being a democracy. If anything, Corporatocracy is far more likely. At the rate things are going, most 1st-world countries are going to end up as Corporatocracies.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 05:42   Link #71
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The irony is that the modern PRC is probably a lot closer(if not basically identical) to Chiang Kai-sheks vision as it is to Mao's.
Old 2012-01-19, 05:54   Link #72
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

They are still remembered and respected for those who know their contributions. But I am afraid they are gradually fading into history because the rocky relationship across the pacific. There is simply not much incentive to celebrate their bravery.
Old 2012-01-19, 08:43   Link #73
Crusify_me

Quote:
@Irenicus: I completely agree. I've always loved to read history, I devour it with abandon. Historians don't get enough respect, not only that, but historians get conflated with idealogues.

I think Western Historians haven't put enough into documenting China though. For instance, 19th century China is really under-represented in literature. You might find 100 publications dealing with the American Civil war, or Franco-Prussian war, but only 3 or 4 on the Taiping Rebellion.

It's not so much a matter of bias, but on certain subjects being under-represented. Like the 2nd Sino-Japanese War, the volume of books on it is a magnitude lower then the volume of books on every other theater in WW2. This does seem to be getting corrected though.
I don't find the lack of documentation by Western Historians as a great lack of problem, since the tone of Chinese history and literature is vastly different than Western history. Even if you look at modern literature today, Western fantasy is a alot different than Chinese/oriental fantasy (which consists martial arts, wuxia ect..) Attempting to westernize chinese literature/history I think is a mistake.

But to get back on the OT
What does President MA winning his second term mean for Taiwan in the next 4 years?
Crusify_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 08:50   Link #74
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
The irony is that the modern PRC is probably a lot closer(if not basically identical) to Chiang Kai-sheks vision as it is to Mao's.
It is the same as what China is throughout 5000 years minus the Internet.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 10:38   Link #75
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusify_me View Post
I don't find the lack of documentation by Western Historians as a great lack of problem, since the tone of Chinese history and literature is vastly different than Western history. Even if you look at modern literature today, Western fantasy is a alot different than Chinese/oriental fantasy (which consists martial arts, wuxia ect..) Attempting to westernize chinese literature/history I think is a mistake.
I don't really see how that be used as a legitimate argument. The goal of History is to chronicle the history of the whole world, that we may understand historical processes and peoples. China is not exempt from that, if anything, China is an especially interesting subject to investigate, due to it's rather unique history.

There is no reason why Chinese scholarship should be exempted from the standards of western scholarship, when the primary standard of Western scholarship is truth, conciseness and impartiality.

China has plenty of historical documents, ripe for production of history.
Old 2012-01-19, 12:18   Link #76
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My grandfather packed parachutes for the Flying Tigers...well more likely the 23rd Fighter Group that came from them since I don't think he was in the area until 1944.
It is hard to track exactly what unit he was in, just that he served in India, Burma, and China from 1944 to 1945.
Old 2012-01-19, 21:35   Link #77
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Now here is an interesting commentary I got :

Quote:
As long as its westerners, getting assfucked is fine eh? good for you
I am quite astounded that there are still people living under rocks. Bigger countries have been buttraping smaller ones since the start of civilisation. Living in a smaller country means to offer your ass to someone who you know that don't rape you as hard or painfully as someone you don't. US did a pretty good job in mass media convincing that the Orwellian nature of Russian society is fact rather than fiction - hence their supporters throughout to the collapse of the Soviet Union. But both of them buttrape their satellite states and supporters simply because they are huge superpowers in the 20th century.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-01-19 at 21:45.
Old 2012-01-20, 06:27   Link #78
Crusify_me

Could we revert back to OT

What does President MA winning his second term mean for Taiwan in the next 4 years?
Crusify_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 08:14   Link #79
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:

Whatever possible civil war or independence will be delayed at the least.

While he is focused on economics and improving relations with China, it's hard to say he actually wants unification. I'd say he's just being careful and saying what Beijing wants to hear. Which is the right choice, pursuing independence now is not the wisest choice. It's China, it's not the kind of freedom we have in other nations. Listening to the one pointing the gun is the only choice.

I don't think Taiwan will change much at all in the next 4 years. President Ma is trying to go along with Beijing and that probably means keeping relations the way they are.
--------------
As for things not related to Beijing-Taiwan conflicts, I wouldn't know. That's all I really care about. xP
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 09:24   Link #80
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Not much difference. Ma isn't quite honest about his stand so as not to provoke anyone from any side. It is a pretty tencious issue for him and he can't afford to act like North Korea.

Though I find it sad that no matter what their decision, that place is a hotspot for crises, or just buttrape by either NATO or China.