Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-05-02, 01:24   Link #61
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Wait. Doesn't this mean if Obama uses this correctly he might win the next election without effort at all?
He'd have to make sure nothing happens to America between now and the election, I think.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:27   Link #62
JokerD

And he was found in a major Pakistan city a short hop from the capital, sure, I believe that you're not hiding him </sarcasm>

Anyway, seems like 3 men and 1 woman (human shield) was killed along with him. Damage was 1 helicopter on the US side.

I wonder where they will bury him. Seems like a graveyard would become a big target.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:28   Link #63
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Well it'd definitely be a feather in his cap.

He'll have the "national security" credentials Republicans (and Fox) are always saying he doesn't.

He can just fire right back "I caught Bin Laden, and America was safe throughout my presidency" and sit back and relax.

Can't really beat that.

Quote:
I wonder where they will bury him. Seems like a graveyard would become a big target.
Good question. While some Americans may not like it, it would be best to give him a conventional Islamic burial, that or release his body to his family. Desecrating the body would just be a recruiting tool. A bit like pulling Hector's body around the walls of troy.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:30   Link #64
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Osama Bin Laden: Hide and Seek World Champion, 2001-2011.
Old 2011-05-02, 01:33   Link #65
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

He can just fire right back "I caught Bin Laden, and America was safe throughout my presidency" and sit back and relax.
He's already gone and given credit to the CIA and everyone working over the past 10 years.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:34   Link #66
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Anyway, seems like 3 men and 1 woman (human shield) was killed along with him. Damage was 1 helicopter on the US side.
Whats the worth of one life to Osama. I wonder if he had a kid infront of him would the soldiers still shoot? I am asking an american btw. Was the death of Osama great enough to exempt the death of the human shield?

(not trolling, genuine questions)
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:35   Link #67
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
And he was found in a major Pakistan city a short hop from the capital, sure, I believe that you're not hiding him </sarcasm>
I wonder what is going to happen to the mansion he stayed at? Would it be torn down, or become a tourist trap?

If it becomes possible to visit it, somebody would probably make a Counterstrike Map out of it.
Old 2011-05-02, 01:35   Link #68
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

any politician who tries to use this for political gain shouldn't be allowed to be reelected. him being president had no bearing on this event. it was an inevitability and should be appreciated by all Americans, whether you lean right or left.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:44   Link #69
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
any politician who tries to use this for political gain shouldn't be allowed to be reelected. him being president had no bearing on this event. it was an inevitability and should be appreciated by all Americans, whether you lean right or left.
Well, there has been enough wackos who somehow believed that Obama is secretly working for Osama. So this is going to help Obama even without him saying anything.
Old 2011-05-02, 01:45   Link #70
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Whats the worth of one life to Osama. I wonder if he had a kid infront of him would the soldiers still shoot? I am asking an american btw. Was the death of Osama great enough to exempt the death of the human shield?

A kid would make a lousy human shield for a 6ft tall guy. Unless it's a really big kid. But the dead human shield kinda answers your question doesn't it? Unless it's a hostage rescue situation, I don't think most special forces (US navy SEALs in this case) care about what stands in between the bullet and the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I wonder what is going to happen to the mansion he stayed at? Would it be torn down, or become a tourist trap?

If it becomes possible to visit it, somebody would probably make a Counterstrike Map out of it.
Last I heard from CNN the mansion is burning so I'm not sure how much of it is left.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/201...cials-say.html
Looks like it'll be burial at sea, is that in accordance with Islamic traditions? Not too sure about it.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:48   Link #71
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:

in most eyes, she already threw her life away by being with a globally known terrorist
Old 2011-05-02, 01:49   Link #72
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
He's already gone and given credit to the CIA and everyone working over the past 10 years.

Which was very wise on the part of Obama.
That will (or at least should) improve his approval rating with the all important independents.
The Repubs hate him no matter what, so for Obama they're a lost cause.
The indies on the other hand are up for grabs, and they may look favorably on him giving credit where it is due.
Old 2011-05-02, 01:50   Link #73
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
That's not quite true. This wasn't a chance encounter in a warzone, or a bounty hunter seeking the reward for Bin Laden's head. This was an intelligence driven operation that existed at the say so of the President and could only be fully carried out by the President's orders. To put it in perspective, if Obama had thought the operation was too risky (and there was an amazing amount of risk involved in the raid), then Osama bin Laden would still be alive today. Instead, Obama took the information on hand, made an informed decision, and ordered the operation to capture or kill Bin Laden.

That is not to say that the situation should be politicized, but let's give credit where credit is due.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:55   Link #74
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Thanks I just don't get how this is a historical moment (greatly due to the fact im not american so im not immersed in the, for lack of a better word, hype). I get its symbolic of victory and all but wouldn't this kind of parading attract more retribution. Well I guess you can't let the fear of retribution dictate your lives but still when something recieves this much media attention it can't be good (unless its a royal wedding, then its secks). I guess what im trying to say is its not worth glorifying this guy with multitudes of attention and let him go down in history, thats what he wanted. Rather let him suffer in the realm of the forgotten, along with that Bernie May-thingy dude

p.s By parading I simply mean the over-the-top coverage (this is speaking from my experience as an overseas observer (where even im bombarded with this shtick)).
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:58   Link #75
solomon

It's emotional. Osama symbolizes the enemy that attacked our people and destroyed the World Trade Center.

Anyway it's 3 am in Washington. It's dream time for me.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 01:59   Link #76
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...Clinton took a shot at him and missed. Bush sent in the Army and the guy kept getting away. Obama just keeps up what Bush's troops were doing and finally gets the guy. Bang, and dead. Three presidents to one Osama.

Let's hope the next guy to try something like this doesn't take so many elections and lives to take down. Sure we lost 3,000 or so people on 9/11, but we've also lost a lot of people since then trying to get that guy. We've also killed a lot of people in the process. Casualties of war...Osama is one as well...like Saddam.

Carmen Sandiego's record is still greater than Osama's.
Old 2011-05-02, 02:00   Link #77
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I think they made a bigger attraction for when they found Saddam Hussein.

Regardless, what Osama did was HUGE, seeing as (forgive me if my history is wrong) the only thing bigger than 9/11 was Pearl Harbor. (in terms of attacks by foreigners on American soil)
Old 2011-05-02, 02:09   Link #78
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Wait. Doesn't this mean if Obama uses this correctly he might win the next election without effort at all?
He's got such an uphill battle for the next election, it'll require the GOP to be completely and utterly disorganized for him to win by even a small margin.

Quote:

In a hostage situation, SF are trained to remove the hostage from the situation; killing them if necessary.
Old 2011-05-02, 02:09   Link #79
Kyuu
=^^=

Well... America isn't gonna feel like a total failure upon the 10th mark from 9/11.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 02:10   Link #80
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Pearl Harbor was a shock and a military action. More people died on 9/11 than at Pearl Harbor. Also most of the death at Pearl were military personel....9/11 was almost all civilian dead and considered an act of terror.

The Japanese failed to get their Ultimatum out to the UNited States before they attacked (it wouldn't have matered all that much...they media would still call it a surprise attack since the Japanese Navy was at sea long before the ultimatum would have been given...It being on time would have given those in Washington...oh, about an hour to try to warn people...and even then have to figure they were going for Pearl Harbor instead of the Philippines like most people expected....or Guam, or Wake, or any other of a half dozen islands in US control).

Osama failed to remember that the Americas react with vengence when we are attacked on our own soil...the same leason we gave the Japanese...however they expected it...within six months to a year they expected us to be pushing them back...if they didn't knock us out quickly.