AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-10-17, 18:17   Link #721
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
People looking for Turn A connections is likely because this was directly stated to be between the UC and CC eras.
They also have to remember that the entire AU stands between RC and CC.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-17, 18:32   Link #722
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

There's that, but that's secondary to everyone else, and a lot of people don't even want to acknowledge that's how the Dark History works (I sure as hell don't, because it doesn't make sense).

People do, however, want to see something that bridges Turn A to the other series, UC in particular.
Old 2014-10-17, 19:21   Link #723
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
People looking for Turn A connections is likely because this was directly stated to be between the UC and CC eras.
Yeah, but Tomino also said he intentionally avoided too much references to other shows... And making the Turn X this thing the Capital Army fear would constitute too much references.

Quote:
People do, however, want to see something that bridges Turn A to the other series, UC in particular.
Any references will be subtle as they have been for UC references so far. I doubt any major story elements will do that.
Old 2014-10-18, 16:40   Link #724
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
They also have to remember that the entire AU stands between RC and CC.
I understand if people don't really want to put it into consideration since the DH and Moonlight Butterfly reasoning thing just doesn't make a lick of sense. For example, we know that in Victory Gundam, most modern cities of the past are already in ruins and the manmade landmarks are gone, hell, we get to see how some modern cites have turned into forests and some of them are under the ocean (they're not recognizable anymore). Yet, we can still see those manmade landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, Liberty Statue, that big building in TIbet, etc in the series which supposed to take place thousands of years after Victory (G, Wing, SEED Destiny, etc) according to DH. So what happened? Do people just decide that they want to rebuild every goddamn well-known manmade landmarks from thousands of years in the past in every goddamn continuity just for the lulz? And that's just one factor (out of many) that go against the DH concept. Even back when I watched Turn-A Gundam when they first reveled that G, Wing, Endless Waltz, and X are part of their linear past, I called bullshit on that. And now that Sunrise/Bandai has made it even clearer that Wing TV & Endless Waltz are in their own different universes, that makes DH looks even more retarded. Asspull (official) shared-continuity is asspull.
Old 2014-10-20, 04:40   Link #725
crysisnet

God damn this is the worst gundam i ever watch , I delete it after i watch episode 3. Its just like teenager playing gundam suit on for fun and think its just like a game
crysisnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-20, 06:04   Link #726
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I understand if people don't really want to put it into consideration since the DH and Moonlight Butterfly reasoning thing just doesn't make a lick of sense. For example, we know that in Victory Gundam, most modern cities of the past are already in ruins and the manmade landmarks are gone, hell, we get to see how some modern cites have turned into forests and some of them are under the ocean (they're not recognizable anymore). Yet, we can still see those manmade landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, Liberty Statue, that big building in TIbet, etc in the series which supposed to take place thousands of years after Victory (G, Wing, SEED Destiny, etc) according to DH. So what happened? Do people just decide that they want to rebuild every goddamn well-known manmade landmarks from thousands of years in the past in every goddamn continuity just for the lulz? And that's just one factor (out of many) that go against the DH concept. Even back when I watched Turn-A Gundam when they first reveled that G, Wing, Endless Waltz, and X are part of their linear past, I called bullshit on that. And now that Sunrise/Bandai has made it even clearer that Wing TV & Endless Waltz are in their own different universes, that makes DH looks even more retarded. Asspull (official) shared-continuity is asspull.
If I may ask, when and where did Sunrise say Wing is in its own universe? I'm just generally curious because I thought the MG Turn X manual said all of them were in except Build Fighters.

I agree with you about Dark History. Sunrise told us that was we saw isn't actually what "we saw"..........and the rest is nanomachines apparently. And I have to not think about it much before my brain literally melts.
Old 2014-10-20, 10:47   Link #727
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
If I may ask, when and where did Sunrise say Wing is in its own universe? I'm just generally curious because I thought the MG Turn X manual said all of them were in except Build Fighters.
IIRC when Endless Waltz (EW) first came out, they never outright said that Wing TV & EW are in separate universe. Even with that, the oh-so-obvious mecha-design retcon alone should give everyone an idea that EW doesn't took place in the same continuity as the TV series (similar case also happen with Gundam AGE TV & OVA and to some extend, MSG/Zeta TV series & their movie counterparts). In other words, those two different versions can't be exist in one timeline. I'd like to call EW being in "AC ver. Ka"-universe (a nod to the Gunpla line because the Gundams are designed by Katoki Hajime ) while the TV is plain AC universe. And now that we actually got a story of the AC ver. Ka in the form of Glory of the Losers manga that replaces the TV series and actually tied directly to the events in EW with consistent mecha designs (by Katoki) as well as events that happened differently than what we see in the TV version (Tallgeese Flugel with wings that arguably the origin of the wings on Wing Zero's back, etc), it's a clear statement that EW is no longer tied to the TV series. There's just too many proofs pointing at it.
Old 2014-10-22, 16:12   Link #728
Gundam888

I consider g reconquesta alternate U.C
Gundam888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-23, 13:30   Link #729
wm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisnet View Post
....Its just like teenager playing gundam suit on for fun and think its just like a game
Not it's like, it's exactly what Yoshiyuki Tomino have been doing for ages.
Growing-ups chasing the balls.

I guess you are certainly coming from 0083....
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 05:10   Link #730
Yesman
PMS Avenger

Don't know if this has been posted yet..

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...nguista/.80151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio Okada Rips Apart Gundam Reconguista
"I can't figure out what's going on"

Toshio Okada, a former Studio Gainax president involved in Gunbuster and Otaku no Video, is now a noteworthy anime scholar. On his video channel, he recently gave quite a tongue-lashing to the latest installment in the long-running Mobile Suit Gundam series, Gundam: Reconguista in G, and its creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino. Here's the video (the relevant portion lasts until 1:05):

This is the translation:

How is Gundam Reconguista? Gundam Reconguista is really bad! I was thinking, "What are they doing?" (laughs) Compared to this Parasyte, which was fairly interesting... Tomino... How should I put this? He doesn't engage with anime fans. It's fine to make it for today's kids, but who does he think kids today are? Who does he think the kids that watch Yo-kai Watch are? (laughs) I don't know what's what. I watch a fair amount of anime, and I can't figure out what's going on. Ordinary people watch this and don't know what's happening, but Tomino thinks it has to be like this. Tomino hasn't changed at all. (groans) Tomino... Ugh! Dialogue won't work, lecturing won't work... [...] Nope, I'm not watching Gundam Reconguista.
Okada earned the nickname "Otaking" for his deep roots in the Japanese science-fiction and anime fan circles and for even lecturing on "otaku culture" at the University of Tokyo. Vertical published his book Sayonara, Mr. Fatty: A Geek's Diet Memoir in North America. He has made a reputation for his outspoken opinions on anime topics such as digital piracy.
Yesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 05:18   Link #731
brightman
Ancient Member

Aww man, you're going to start that here too?

For the record, Okada is nowhere nearly as respected as the ANN article claims. His opinions are hardly gold, and anime fandom generally hates him for inflammatory comments he makes (example: http://altjapan.typepad.com/my_weblo...eady-dead.html). And quite frankly, for a 60 year old otaku "lecturer" one would think something like G Reco wouldn't be too hard for him to understand. Gotta question his intelligence on that regard.
Old 2014-10-24, 05:24   Link #732
wm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Okada
I think he was just unhappy when militarism isn't the main focus of the new Gundam anymore.
Old 2014-10-24, 05:36   Link #733
brightman
Ancient Member

I guess the only irony is that Tomino, who's known for his harsh criticism of Gainax's works, among many other things, just got the reverse treatment. Not that I think Tomino values what this guy says at all though.
Old 2014-10-24, 05:56   Link #734
wm4

It doesn't matter anyway, Tomino won't use a more modern animation style anyway.
Old 2014-10-24, 07:48   Link #735
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm4 View Post
It doesn't matter anyway, Tomino won't use a more modern animation style anyway.
On the other hand, I think Sunrise should introduce more retraux art design to fit with Tomino's vision.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 15:20   Link #736
wm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
On the other hand, I think Sunrise should introduce more retraux art design to fit
with Tomino's vision.
There is Infinite Stratos already, but it never get a higher evaluation than it should
have earned. You guys just don't really *watch* an anime, or just any animes.

Tomino's hidden message in his "G Reconguista" is actually: A G(iant robot anime)
(including this) is always a low-budget crap show ripping off all previous works,
the audience shouldn't be too picky and over-expecting it to be something epic
(because if it's epic, it just happens to be.) It seems like that he wanted to
re-define not only Gundam, but the mecha genre in general.

G Reconguista itself is already a copycat of Medieval renaissances. Everything
are just clones from early UC, Seed and AGE just like the alternative Gundams
ripping off the former.

Note that the service record of Motero is a direct derivation from the 0079 Gundam
and probably Rick Dias/Dijeh later. Tomino didn't even hide his
inside humours between Klim and Lalayia.

As another note, I guessed Cathill was actually a clone of Seabook in Crossbone
Gundam or Kira in Seed, both of them... you know. So would it turn out
later that Manny is actually Cathill's sister?

I'm afraid following Tomino's owned style isn't turning anything to a gold tree
for sure. Do IS, the recent Zweistar, Symphogear, or even partly Unicorn,
get properly recognized as works at the same level as, let's say,
Char's Counter Attack? The answer is no. So the answer is no, Tomino's style
won't save your day without serious hypes eg. megastar animators.

G-reco got rated high (but not overrated) not because it's working in a working
formula. If you were talking with Tomino, and if you weren't either
Fukuda/Yamagan, he would probably tell you to work on the craps that is proved
to be working (fan services, star VAs, star writers, stupid gags, non-sense personalities, etc.) but not bet your money/time to pretend it as anything epic.

I think a good enough director will have no difficulties reproducing the themes
that Tomino/Makoto Shinkai loves to use, but they must have also good enough
reasons not to do that.
Old 2014-10-25, 09:30   Link #737
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Personally can't really disagree with the guy though I think the analysis is too simple in this case.
Old 2014-10-26, 08:32   Link #738
brightman
Ancient Member

In another news, Sony has named G-Reco as the most watched Fall 2014 anime on their various PlayStation platforms:

http://mantan-web.jp/2014/10/20/2014...00015000c.html

The full list:
  1. 1. Gundam Reconguista in G
  2. 2. Fate/ Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks (2014)
  3. 3. Psycho-Pass 2
  4. 4. Kiseijuu
  5. 5. Sora no Method
  6. 6. Denkigai no Honya-san
  7. 7. Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
  8. 8. Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete
  9. 9. Cross Ange
  10. 10. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
  11. 11. Grisaia no Kajitsu
  12. 12. Madan no Ou to Vanadis
  13. 13. Gogure Kokkuri-san
  14. 14. Trinity Seven
  15. 15. Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai
  16. 16. Terraformars
  17. 17. Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji
  18. 18. Amagi Brilliant Park
  19. 19. Akatsuki no Yona
  20. 20. World Trigger

Also, TV ratings for the 1st episode
世  個  K  T  M1 M2 M3 F1 F2 F3
1.5 0.7 0.0 0.0 1.3 2.0 0.4 0.7 1.1 0.0 Gレコ1話

Looks like Tomino failed at reaching them kids (as expected)
Old 2014-10-26, 08:48   Link #739
monster

Yeah, the time slot doesn't seem like they're expecting a decent TV viewership. It's probably because, in addition to disc release, there is streaming as an option, like for the PlayStation.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 11:05   Link #740
Elder

Actually this is a usual timeslot for a Sunrise type mecha anime.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote