AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2019-01-25, 17:45   Link #641
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
During the start of episode 3 while Naofumi was looking over the stat screen showed Raphalia's age at that point to be 20. I think many missed that.
HAHAHAHAHA..... since when can you just "gain" bonus years.

Her age will always be however much time passed since her birth, obviously.

But ya sure whatever... she's 20 whatnot now
Old 2019-01-25, 17:48   Link #642
Dark Wing

My mistake it says age 20 under Naofumi's name at 40 second in.
Old 2019-01-25, 19:27   Link #643
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I didn't realize Naofumi's age was shown on his "screen". That's such an odd thing to include. It's not like he's going to forget his own age
It would be useful if he could see the age of other people though, but that doesn't seem to be the case if he can't see his own party member's age.
Old 2019-01-25, 19:38   Link #644
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I didn't realize Naofumi's age was shown on his "screen". That's such an odd thing to include. It's not like he's going to forget his own age
It would be useful if he could see the age of other people though, but that doesn't seem to be the case if he can't see his own party member's age.
In a world where some people age so randomly I think I would prefer not to see the age, lol.

"Announcing the arrival of her Exalted Eminance Empress of the Demi-Humans"
"[System: Age 7]"
Old 2019-01-25, 19:53   Link #645
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I just felt that point needed to be made. Believe it or not, I do like this part of the series. Naofumi making medicine and cash is the kind of thing I'm into. Him getting screwed over and rising up through his own efforts is a great story.

I just wish that the subtlety was in the dictionary, because if you took what I said into account and they didn't make it blatantly obvious that the King is also biased against the Shield Hero, you have the plot of the book that Naofumi was reading in the first episode about a single woman trying to arrange the three heroes into destroying the fourth and thus weakening the heroes overall in her plan to turn them against one another.
The start is a bit blunt yeah. Mainly I think, to not drag start of the story out too much.

It also has a bigger emotional impact. And is probably some sort of commentary about the unreasonableness of life.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-25, 20:51   Link #646
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Well, if they somehow imprison him in some sort of void without any sort of reference it should allow him to keep some level of sanity, if only to see the years tick by whilst being helpless ....

For all we know, there's some sort of magic/fantasy element that could influence him in some way where age is relevant (reversion into child, etc), though that would be physical characteristics and not 'age' as in 'years since birth'. That being said, it hasn't been clearly defined as to how time is tracked (aside from the countdown timer on the hourglass). Perception of time is altered by any number of factors and we don't actually know if time is tracked in the same way as their 'source' world.
Old 2019-01-25, 22:47   Link #647
Mars Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
Do you mean her mentality ?

If so, remember that she was nto bonr a slave or anything like that, she was a normla girl until some monster killed her parents and she got enslaved, so we can safely assume she is back to her previous/real personality.

Regarding the second point, well, it's only a concern if you see her and naofumi as a romantic relationship and not a foster parent/daughter relationship; which, going by the baggage of most light novels is not unreasonable; but thena gain going by baggage mens that the girl in tanya the evil would ge sexualized the hell off and we got nothing like that.
I know that she wasn't born as a slave, regardless, the matter of the fact is that she went through a lot with her last master--to the point that the slave trader stating that she has been broken by him--so for her to change her persona so drastically over the course of a week is simply unreasonable, even if she's not fully free of her trauma I'm not buying it.

Moreover the reason for Raphtalia becoming older--as far as the plot goes--is to be what Naofumi needs her to be at any given moment so far. In other words, she is very close to being nothing more than a plot device and the fact that they're sacrificing her characterization for the sake of the protagonist's is poor writing, it only serves to make it clear how horribly thought out the plot is if this is the best they could of come up with.

Currently reading:: The Sirens of Titan.
Mars Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 08:03   Link #648
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

This is just ANOTHER reminder:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Spoiler Policy
any comment that discloses an event, character, plot or other information before it is revealed within the specific work being discussed is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
Please don't make us ban people for violating this.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 08:23   Link #649
Ghostfriendly

She's a Tanuki. She should be a jolly little trickster, drumming on her belly...WHY ISN'T SHE JOLLY?

Order of the Stick jokes aside, another problem with Isekai 'deconstructions' is that the banality of a single male hero, irresistible to the ladies, saving the world, can't really be shown by a story about a single male hero, irresistible to the ladies, saving the world. Whatever the trappings, Goblinslayer and Shield Hero are trying to have their male-power-fantasy cake and eat it. Unfair persecution is absolutely a self-indulgent fantasy as well, which Kirito 'the black swordsman' was gracelessly exploiting long before GS and SH. The only way to deconstruct a ridiculous genre is to play it for laughs, a la Konsuba.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 08:52   Link #650
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Order of the Stick jokes aside, another problem with Isekai 'deconstructions' is that the banality of a single male hero, irresistible to the ladies, saving the world, can't really be shown by a story about a single male hero, irresistible to the ladies, saving the world. Whatever the trappings, Goblinslayer and Shield Hero are trying to have their male-power-fantasy cake and eat it. Unfair persecution is absolutely a self-indulgent fantasy as well, which Kirito 'the black swordsman' was gracelessly exploiting long before GS and SH. The only way to deconstruct a ridiculous genre is to play it for laughs, a la Konsuba.
Is he really a "single male hero" when it is literally forced to party with other people?

Is he really "irresistible to the ladies" when the only female who doesn't despise him is his slave?

Besides, people watch Isekai stories because they like them. Not only would deconstructing every single "Isekai" element make it incoherent, it probably wouldn't be enjoyable to the target audience.

Basically, in order to make a "different" Isekai story, you need to change the elements you want while keeping the rest the same.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 09:45   Link #651
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You know what movie tried to deconstruct tropes at every turn and miserably failed at engaging the public, turning the franchise it represents into a clusterfuck? The Last Jedi.
Old 2019-01-26, 10:21   Link #652
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You know what movie tried to deconstruct tropes at every turn and miserably failed at engaging the public, turning the franchise it represents into a clusterfuck? The Last Jedi.
Can you give some examples?
Old 2019-01-26, 10:30   Link #653
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Ughh don't remind me.
Old 2019-01-26, 12:22   Link #654
Dark Wing

I decided to compare the manga and what was shown in the anime. I have to say I like the manga a bit better. Naofumi has...How should I put this...a little more bite to him.
Old 2019-01-26, 13:43   Link #655
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly
the banality of a single male hero, irresistible to the ladies, saving the world
Sounds like Motoyasu, honestly. Or at least how Motoyasu views himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly
Whatever the trappings, Goblinslayer and Shield Hero are trying to have their male-power-fantasy cake and eat it.
So you're saying we should be empathizing with Motoyasu instead of Naofumi?

I mean, seriously, Motoyasu-sama is trying to protect Myne, saving her after a traumatic incident, and keeping her in his party with promises to always defend her. She showers him with praise and adoration, and is no doubt eternally grateful that he fights to make sure that the scoundrel Naofumi never harms a woman again — even that poor little half-human girl that's taken to following Naofumi around lately, who would undoubtedly be just as grateful to be taken away from her current oppressed and dangerous position.

He is such a great character. /s

Last edited by Kinematics; 2019-01-26 at 14:53.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 14:14   Link #656
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Good Lord no, this thread is already prone to flareups, don't bring that mess in. I may agree with you, but I think we'd be better off fighting that war on a different battlefield.

Also, Ghostfriendly, that statement kind of makes it sound like you haven't seen Shield Hero. Or Goblin Slayer for that matter, as it's left rather vague there whether most of the girls are interested in him. But in this series, we've only seen him win the adoration of a single lost child. As others have mentioned, the role of shallow hero who receives unearned love from countless women goes to the joke that is Motoyasu.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 14:36   Link #657
Dharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
I mean, seriously, Motoyasu is trying to protect Myne
Only one complaint with your post:Motoyasu-sama. You can't honestly consider yourself Motoyasu-sama equal, right?
Old 2019-01-26, 14:53   Link #658
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
Only one complaint with your post:Motoyasu-sama. You can't honestly consider yourself Motoyasu-sama equal, right?
Ah, right, of course. Let me fix that.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 16:02   Link #659
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know, I wonder if he public's absurd adoration of the spear hero is related to their sheer contempt for the shield hero.

Why didn't it occur to me before that of course the shield and the spear would be rivals?

EDIT: Small addition.

....What kind of "male power fantasy" has literally everyone hate you for no apparent reason?

Last edited by Dengar; 2019-01-26 at 17:43.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 18:07   Link #660
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
....What kind of "male power fantasy" has literally everyone hate you for no apparent reason?
Every chinese one. Also, same for all "female power fantasy" variants.

It's very common. A lot of Japanese stuff is a lot more fluffy, true. But not all honestly.

Tags
isekai, traumatized protagonist