AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-04-28, 21:08   Link #41
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire View Post
What you call trolling they call protecting their content... lawl.
How exactly do they protect anything like that? We're still able to get it. They're just crippling their broadcasts. If it is some kind of protection then they're needlessly crippling their broadcasts...
Old 2009-04-28, 21:20   Link #42
neothe0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craymel View Post
How exactly do they protect anything like that? We're still able to get it. They're just crippling their broadcasts. If it is some kind of protection then they're needlessly crippling their broadcasts...
Tell that to the nice people who decided to include the ability to cripple the playback of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs you own via AACS, for the purpose of - you guessed it - protecting their content.
Old 2009-04-29, 00:07   Link #43
DryFire
Panda Herder

They think a horrid broadcast = more dvd sales. It probably doesn't, but they think it does.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 01:09   Link #44
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
niko: all DTV, and BS to add, is 16:9
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 08:19   Link #45
niko
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to niko
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshark View Post
niko: all DTV, and BS to add, is 16:9
I know that. But it's not (good) reason for making 4:3 cut then padding to 16:9.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 21:04   Link #46
Zalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soichiro View Post
I don't know what you mean. Many, many groups always do WS versions (either broadcast or DVD) after the FS versions.

If you want examples of groups who have done WS versions of at least one TBS anime...

SS-Eclipse (obviously)
Shinsen
Aniyoshi
Chihiro
CoalGays-Doremi
Dream

And considering not too many groups sub TBS animes (there are only 6 TBS 4:3 shows every year), this isn't a bad list of groups. I could probably find more if I wanted, but I'm too lazy.
Also, note that a.f.k. skipped the 4:3 entirely and only released 16:9 for the episodes of Clannad S1 that they subbed.
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 00:49   Link #47
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
Also, note that a.f.k. skipped the 4:3 entirely and only released 16:9 for the episodes of Clannad S1 that they subbed.
I wish more groups would do that. It seems like more often than not, groups prioritize releasing the 4:3 versions and then the 16:9 gets delayed. I don't bother with 4:3 if there's 16:9 versions on the way, so that gets annoying.
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 04:15   Link #48
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
because 4:3 is intended for quick release and 16:9 is for archive-level release? (it's actually not - they should do dvd instead. but whatever)
Old 2009-05-03, 05:17   Link #49
Desbreko
*Fansubber

I guess that's the idea, but I'd prefer the time spent on the 4:3 versions were used to get the 16:9's out on the same timetable, just with the three week delay. They may not be worth archiving if there are DVD versions planned but at least they don't have 25% of the video cropped off. If an encoder cropped a 16:9 source to 4:3 themselves it would be as laughable as the 4:3 broadcasts getting stretched back to 16:9, so I don't really get why quality focused groups bother just because it's the station doing the cropping. Unless they're as impatient as the leechers are.
Old 2009-05-03, 07:59   Link #50
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

and it's impossible to release 16:9 before 4:3 because 16:9 is aired week(s) after 4:3 aired
(in case you think both aired simultaneously)
Old 2009-05-03, 12:52   Link #51
Desbreko
*Fansubber

I'm aware of the delay between the airing of the 4:3 and 16:9 versions. I even mentioned it in my previous post.

I'm just saying that I think it would be a better use of time to wait until the 16:9 versions start airing and concentrate on them instead of splitting time between both versions. The 4:3's get trashed in only a few weeks as they're replaced with the 16:9's, whereas the 16:9's have months to float around before DVDs are released, assuming DVD versions are subbed at all.
Old 2009-05-03, 13:25   Link #52
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Too bad some (many?) people prefer to get their anime ASAP even with (slightly?) lower quality

And it's pretty much impossible to blogwalk/camp@chan comfortably (as in not getting spoiled) if you wait for widescreen version when watching certain popular series

Tags
aspect ratio, tbs