Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-28, 07:39   Link #41
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Is this one of those fancy shmancy action RPG MMO like Vindictus & Tera?
Looking for one to try out but Vindictus isn't available outside of NA & EU and Tera thinks i'm a criminal if i m not living in NA & EU region XD
I think it's more like Aion, with skill cool down and combo

And instead of fly, it's like gliding all the way
Old 2012-05-28, 11:17   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Is this one of those fancy shmancy action RPG MMO like Vindictus & Tera?
Looking for one to try out but Vindictus isn't available outside of NA & EU and Tera thinks i'm a criminal if i m not living in NA & EU region XD
Well, I don't consider the "hub and instance" games (like Vindictus) to actually be in the same category as immersive worlds (like TERA), so I really hope it isn't the former. Hub'n'instance games can be fun but to call them MMOs in the original Everquest sense I find a bit of false advertising.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-29 at 10:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 15:19   Link #43
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's being run by NCsoft, so it's almost guaranteed to be terrible. NCsoft has the worst customer service in the universe, even worse than AT&T and Verizon combined.
Old 2012-05-28, 16:57   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's being run by NCsoft, so it's almost guaranteed to be terrible. NCsoft has the worst customer service in the universe, even worse than AT&T and Verizon combined.
And that is my biggest alarm bell.... NCsoft manages to make anything it touches radioactive which is sad because they've had some fair properties.
Old 2012-05-28, 17:38   Link #45
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Eh, GW1's support has always been pretty good for me.

Now Nexon, on the other hand, is a company I want to strangle.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 03:29   Link #46
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I think it's more like Aion, with skill cool down and combo

And instead of fly, it's like gliding all the way
That doesn't sound too promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, I don't consider the "hub and instance" games (like Vindictus) to actually be in the same category as immersive worlds (like TERA), so I really hope it isn't the former. Hub'n'instance games can be fun to call them MMOs in the original Everquest sense I find a bit of false advertising.
That's true though personally, i haven't felt much immersion from MMOs lately since my days of RPing in DAoC and SWG. I wouldn't attribute persistant world with immersion.
Old 2012-05-30, 13:02   Link #47
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
I don't think NCSoft's customer service is that bad. They take a while compared to Western companies, but they get your stuff fixed eventually.

Unlike Nexon, which basically does not have a Customer Service department. Your tickets will be in limbo forever and they never restore accounts or money you paid even if you were hacked because of their own server security.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 17:37   Link #48
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
I have heard a lot of bad cases about NCSoft, and I think I would agree in general that they aren't the best. But I did not have any bad experiences with them myself for the extremely short of time I played Aion back when it was P2P. A couple of my TERA guildies have also had no problems with NCSoft (and they've dealt with them for a much longer period of time than I have), so opinions will differ from person to person, of course.
Spoiler for Off-Topic:
Old 2012-06-03, 19:04   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Verizon and AT&T are huge mega-corps... anecdotal evidence from either good or bad is pretty worthless as it depends on the specific call center person you get.

NCSoft has a marginal public relations track record in keeping the customers informed and in responding to serious problems - particularly with transplanted games. Are they worse than Nexon? To me that's like fighting for the bottom of the scum pond - neither one is all that great.

So what you hope for is basically a relatively stable game so you don't have to depend on customer services or the existence of GMs, etc.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:32   Link #50
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

So, with Ncsoft behind the wheels and the growing market shift in MMO's, what are the odds of this being F2P?
Old 2012-06-04, 03:51   Link #51
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
That doesn't sound too promising.

That's true though personally, i haven't felt much immersion from MMOs lately since my days of RPing in DAoC and SWG. I wouldn't attribute persistant world with immersion.
Yeah i was waiting for this at first, but then the earlier gameplay trailer seems to be not as promising.

Waiting got Guild War 2. And actually one more Ncsoft game: Lineage Eternal. Seems to be similar to Diablo (Or Lineage 1) but there are lots of interesting and creative mechanisms. Massive number of mobs at every spawn (like hundred easily), draw the mouse on the ground for Aoe, or throw mobs up and blow it away down the cliff for instant kills, or fire up the torches to kill ghosts. It said the investment for Lineage Eternal just in preparation state is as much as the whole budget for Blade and Soul already
Old 2012-06-04, 05:50   Link #52
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
So, with Ncsoft behind the wheels and the growing market shift in MMO's, what are the odds of this being F2P?
Considering it's not a full on MMO, probably very likely to be a sub-less model. Not sure if they ll drop the box cost though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Yeah i was waiting for this at first, but then the earlier gameplay trailer seems to be not as promising.

Waiting got Guild War 2. And actually one more Ncsoft game: Lineage Eternal. Seems to be similar to Diablo (Or Lineage 1) but there are lots of interesting and creative mechanisms. Massive number of mobs at every spawn (like hundred easily), draw the mouse on the ground for Aoe, or throw mobs up and blow it away down the cliff for instant kills, or fire up the torches to kill ghosts. It said the investment for Lineage Eternal just in preparation state is as much as the whole budget for Blade and Soul already
Doesnt look like there's much focus on marketing this to the non-Asia region. So far, most of the effort seemed to be focused on the Korean and China market which is understandable considering the setting of the game.

As for Lineage, it's a very very well established franchise (especially in the Korean market) unlike Blade&Soul which is a brand new IP. Not surprised to hear NCsoft putting their weight on this one.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:59   Link #53
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
They've been having pretty good luck with MMOs being F2P, so I wouldn't be surprised if it starts out being just a box sale and no sub like GW2.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 12:11   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. so far their actual press announcements make it sound like they're leaning toward a classic subscription model... but the translation was bad enough I wouldn't place bets on any final business model.

Personally, I *like* the subscription model with a cosmetics cash shop. Proper game design does more to mitigate gold farm/sellers to annoyance level.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:46   Link #55
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Since my spare time has shrunk considerably since my WoW days, I've grown to dislike the subscription model. I'd rather have a game I can play when I finally find the time without having to check whether I'm allowed to and pay up if I'm not.
Old 2012-06-04, 16:22   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A "pay by the hour" scheme might be interesting and address the time available issue (perhaps it would come to $20/month if 24/7 and people who opt in monthly get a lesser rate just like the current 1/3/6/12 sub model). Of course, I have no idea whether an hourly model would sustain the game's operation and development.
Old 2012-06-04, 17:23   Link #57
Xion Valkyrie

All MMOs, other than TERA, are pay by hour in Korea and China. I don't think there's even box fees. Monthly subscriptions are pretty much a western thing only.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 17:39   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So "by the hour" ... is one still billed monthly? (e.g. You played for 16 hours this month, that'll be $8 at 50 cents an hour)
Old 2012-06-04, 19:02   Link #59
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So "by the hour" ... is one still billed monthly? (e.g. You played for 16 hours this month, that'll be $8 at 50 cents an hour)
More like go to an internet cafe play for a certain period of time and pay for that time. (In fact a lot of internet cafe's in Asia make a heck of lot of money from this) or pay for how you played at home.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 22:20   Link #60
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
More like go to an internet cafe play for a certain period of time and pay for that time. (In fact a lot of internet cafe's in Asia make a heck of lot of money from this) or pay for how you played at home.
Interesting, so the internet cafe fees will also including the hour subscriptions fee?

Smart business if it's the case. 50 cents more or so will be hardly recognisable. But then you still feel like no subscription

Tags
mmorpg