Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-19, 00:07   Link #41
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
That's actually not too surprising to me. I watched something on The History Channel today about robots and how we can interact with them right now in the form of verbal commands and even have them operate large objects such as backhoes and other large construction equipment. So, this can't be too far.

On the other hand, one side of me is hoping for a Chobits like future, and the other half is fearing something like iRobot or A.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I personally don't give a hoot about this "news" (come on..., it's FOX "news"), but if the option becomes available in my life time, I would definitely get a robot for maid service. I'm tired of doing my own laundry TWICE in a week, every week.
I'd much rather listen to FOX "news" than whatever blasphemy is going on at CNN or MSNBC
Old 2007-10-19, 03:03   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Frankly, all 3 of those choices suck ... I recommend the BBC World News and European Journal for a gnat's chance of getting some decent depth of news (outside of the US PBS's Business Report and News Hour with Jim Lehrer). Much of corporate US-based news has been completely broken in the last 15 years.

on topic: a real household meido-bot would be a god-send but it'd have to be about the price of a new car to really snare the market. I really can visualize the engineering and basic bot routines supplemented with rudimentary AI == persocoms within about, oh, 50 years --- but they'd be rather expensive at first.
Old 2007-10-19, 04:31   Link #43
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Marriage with a robot? I would, with several...one chi model per day of the month. They would certainly be better then some bitches I've met in my life..
This also makes me remember of this trash movie called cherry 2000 with Melanie Griffith...oh man, now I have to find it again and rewatch it...
Old 2007-10-19, 06:06   Link #44
Pell14

Seriously if that happens, it could be wonderful. Provided that each robots look amazinglu great, with life time warranty, have unique AI for every single one of them, 100% loyal to the user and human-liked. i would get 7 robots, cosplay them with maids costume and be my personal assistances where they will cook and serve me. Forget about 7, 1 will do. You can call me sick, but certainly i dont mind that kind of lifestyle holy. even if that is possible by then, im quite sure i wouldnt make it alive to see that. that is if i continue with my crappy instant meal lifestyle
Old 2007-10-19, 08:02   Link #45
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Demonstrate a robot as an independent self-supporting legally unowned entity who enjoys walks in the park and then you might discuss "marriage" (or civil unions).
I agree that you shouldn't be able to get the legal status of marriage (and the advantages such thing supposes) but if you're really "in love" with a robot, what's keeping you from living a "married life" with it?

That's the point I'm tackling, mostly.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-10-19, 10:06   Link #46
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I agree that you shouldn't be able to get the legal status of marriage (and the advantages such thing supposes) but if you're really "in love" with a robot, what's keeping you from living a "married life" with it?

That's the point I'm tackling, mostly.
People can pretend all they want. Being married to anime characters, for instance. It's not real marriage though.

Seriously, the concept of marrying a robot is the same as marrying your hand IMO.
Old 2007-10-19, 10:13   Link #47
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer View Post
People can pretend all they want. Being married to anime characters, for instance. It's not real marriage though.

Seriously, the concept of marrying a robot is the same as marrying your hand IMO.
Basically nailed it for me. What more is there to say? =o

Frankly it will never be possible I think it's atleast a law that you have to marry someone of the same race. No matter how much the time changes. Unless we get an alien invasion where the population consist of 90% hot females.
Old 2007-10-19, 10:32   Link #48
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:

But is the person doing so hurting anyone in the process? Seriously, no matter how dumb it might sound, people (you and I included) do dumb stuff all the time. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, and the person is happy with it, how the hell can it be a bad thing?

EDIT: Besides, married life is just what you want it to be, there's not a right way to "marry". Remember that I'm not talking about the legal aspect, but the very concept behind it.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-10-19 at 12:23.
Old 2007-10-19, 10:50   Link #49
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
But is the person doing so hurting anyone in the process? Seriously, no matter how dumb it might sound, people (you and I included) do dumb stuff all the time. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, and the person is happy with it, how the hell can it be a bad thing?
So if he isn't hurting anyone it should be ok? That's just a flawed way of thinking.

He can't get married to a robot. Why? Because the robot isn't registered as a person.

If he's happy then let him be happy. No need to get a certificate for marriage. Just do your own play marriage.

Homosexual marriage has a point since it 2 people living together and if something happens to one or the other. The get warned. Also financially things get done(like buying a house).

Or are you telling me we should consider them human?

Also if their AI gets that advanced we get to the point it just gets unethical to make them. Unless the world really gets a fucked up way of thinking, but I doubt that will happen.
Old 2007-10-19, 11:00   Link #50
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
He can't get married to a robot. Why? Because the robot isn't registered as a person.
I said already that I don't think possible the legal aspect of marriage, but the spiritual (?) aspect behind it, IMO, is perfectly fine. If you want to live the rest of your life with a robot and have it as your "wife" or "husband" (though not legally married), what problem is there?

Old 2007-10-19, 11:12   Link #51
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

People here tend to draw a distinct dichotomy between robots and humans. Meh, I personally believe in a robotic evolution towards the future. Humans would have robotic parts in them, and robots would likewise have human parts in them. The lines would be blurred by then, and perhaps we would think a little more highly of robots. Maybe it's because with current technologies the most we can visualize would be a bunch of machines, let's say, a toaster, or an oven for instance.

Here's the question:
If your spouse one day gets caught up in an accident, and gets all his/her body parts replaced with robotic ones, (but of course the matter of mind is still intact) would you divorce thenceforth just because he/she has been replaced with a robotic existence? Even if such an existence is almost completely identical, metaphysically?
Old 2007-10-19, 11:29   Link #52
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
I said already that I don't think possible the legal aspect of marriage, but the spiritual (?) aspect behind it, IMO, is perfectly fine. If you want to live the rest of your life with a robot and have it as your "wife" or "husband" (though not legally married), what problem is there?
Oh my bad. Don't really care if we have one rival less to care about. Even though he probably wouldn't make much of a rival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate View Post
Here's the question:
If your spouse one day gets caught up in an accident, and gets all his/her body parts replaced with robotic ones, (but of course the matter of mind is still intact) would you divorce thenceforth just because he/she has been replaced with a robotic existence? Even if such an existence is almost completely identical, metaphysically?
That wouldn't make her a robot now would it.

On a side note though if she only has her "brain" intact though I think we should draw the line and just let her die. >.> <.<

A robot with human parts has no point and would probably illegal and we have a lack of donors as it is. =o
Old 2007-10-19, 15:16   Link #53
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat View Post
Marriage with a robot? I would, with several...one chi model per day of the month. They would certainly be better then some bitches I've met in my life..
This also makes me remember of this trash movie called cherry 2000 with Melanie Griffith...oh man, now I have to find it again and rewatch it...
Well... if you put it that way then yes. They most likely are meant to be the perfect partner, no hassel, no nagging, but is her upkeep more now >.<? Since the price was never stated. But i'll assume that since the title says "sex and marriage with robots by 2050", this might mean it's possible to the masses and not just Bill Gates.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-10-19, 15:45   Link #54
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
On a side note though if she only has her "brain" intact though I think we should draw the line and just let her die. >.> <.<
Haven't watched much Ghost in the Shell, have you?

Old 2007-10-19, 17:17   Link #55
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Oh, another thing about marrying a robot. Some members already posted that it would be impossible because robots can't understand the meaning of love and marriage. More than that, I haven't heard a solid, crystal clear definition of love from a human. If we are unable to clearly describe love, then how do you expect robots to do that?
Ok, so one of the main aspects of marriage is where you learn to respect and listen to the other half. Most importantly you learn to reason. I know that you can try to reason with a robot, but there is a huge difference. For example, when reasoning a robot will state the most rational or logical point, idea, whatever. While humans often aren't rational and a logical answer isn't always the best.
Therefore, you learn how to compromise. You can't just reprogram your wife, so that she would listen to your every whim. (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.)
The most important part of long lasting relationship is where you talk about your problems and solve them, by respecting and understanding each other. I mean what's the point of marriage if you can completely reprogram your spouse. It's like playing a game with cheat codes.
Old 2007-10-19, 17:20   Link #56
Ending

I doubt we have a working AI much less a robot in mere fifty years, so whoever wrote that things was overly optimistic of what the researchers are capable of. Perhaps they get them on their feet, but it's sure as what that they won't be pretty.

But if they were, I would consider it
Old 2007-10-19, 17:34   Link #57
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Oh, another thing about marrying a robot. Some members already posted that it would be impossible because robots can't understand the meaning of love and marriage. More than that, I haven't heard a solid, crystal clear definition of love from a human. If we are unable to clearly describe love, then how do you expect robots to do that?
Ok, so one of the main aspects of marriage is where you learn to respect and listen to the other half. Most importantly you learn to reason. I know that you can try to reason with a robot, but there is a huge difference. For example, when reasoning a robot will state the most rational or logical point, idea, whatever. While humans often aren't rational and a logical answer isn't always the best.
Therefore, you learn how to compromise. You can't just reprogram your wife, so that she would listen to your every whim. (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.)
The most important part of long lasting relationship is where you talk about your problems and solve them, by respecting and understanding each other. I mean what's the point of marriage if you can completely reprogram your spouse. It's like playing a game with cheat codes.
I'll tell you what the most important thing about marriage as a concept is: happiness. A robot can't be happy, but the partner can. Who cares if it's "cheat codes"? Let the people decide for their own happiness. If it makes them happy without harming anyone else there's no reason to object. At least the way I see it. I don't plan on doing it, but that's not an excuse to ban anyone else from doing it.

Old 2007-10-19, 17:53   Link #58
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
chobit :P

sounds wierd idea though.. nice to have 1 though..

but if you could have sex with it, wouldn't teenagers by them.. i mean like my age too.
Yeah, I was thinking that, too. The concept of "Persocoms" keeps popping into my head...
Old 2007-10-21, 04:16   Link #59
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
but this can be an otaku's dream come true...horny kids would be losing their virginity at the ripe age of 10 at this rate
Brave New World anyone?

Quote:
You're trying to argue that we should dismantle social and legal constructs for the sake of one person's imagination. They can pretend to be married all they want, but they can't actually be married.

Last edited by monir; 2007-10-23 at 02:35. Reason: Please use the "EDIT" button instead of consecutive multiple posting
Old 2007-10-21, 08:51   Link #60
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
See, the fun thing is that humans are machines themselves. Organic rather than mechanical, but still machines. What really separates us is our consciousness.

Oh what a fun day it will be when a robot demonstrates sentience. I really hope I live long enough to see that.
Closed Thread