AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2006-09-21, 03:39   Link #41
JarOfMayo

I had no clue this thread was still around. lol

Been awhile, but i remember the day the last chapter came out... It was a sad ... sad day. I not sure I'll revisit that sort of feeling I had that day for quite awhile. As some of you saw in my earlier posts... every chapter before the end was a gasp of excitement and terror... Of the end or not so the end!

I don't think I have the artbook ( ) anymore or... forgot where I saw it (maybe I browsed through a version I got off Share) but I'm sure it holds no spoilers and is in general a very cool overall look at characters and scenary in the town they live in. Its nice to have.

I want to say more... but what else is there to say. For those who have finished there is ... almost nothing but our feeling of loss and gain and no words. None at all.
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 11:11   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah... I almost found myself dreading turning the last pages of the story, just because I knew it was ending.

I have a fair number of manga I love, but most of them have trainwrecks, ramble, lose focus, or contain story plot twists that annoy. Mahoraba, at least for me, was clean from start to finish. I'm hoping this isn't a single burst of glory from the author and that we'll see more good stories from him. AND, I'm absolutely befuddled at why neither the manga nor anime got picked up --- given some of the sloppy stuff that is of "similar genre" that *has* gotten picked up.
Old 2006-09-27, 18:21   Link #43
wrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I don't know that Hiyoko no Gao *dropped* it so much as its backburnered for an indefinite time ... they did say they were looking at volume 11 back in May.... but then that was back in May.
Just thought I'd respond to this, even though it's from a while ago. Hiyoko no Gao has definitely not dropped it. Unfortunately the translator got a job and doesn't have time to work on it anymore. So, I've stepped in to help out (). We're slowly getting things back together. I expect we'll be back on track very shortly. The scans we have aren't the greatest right now but I'm hoping to fix that problem as well... somehow... (when will the damn mail arrive!?)
wrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 18:48   Link #44
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I haven't follow the other works of the author. I did read the ending of Mahoraba though, although I wasn't able to grasp all of it at all. The is one of those manga that actually had me in tears in alot of segments. It sticks to its premise and there's extravagant with the art style, yet it is beautiful from start to finish.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 19:42   Link #45
retracnosna

^I only watched the anime, but it didn't seem like the kind of story that would leave anyone in tears

does the feel-good vibe completely change in the manga?
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 21:47   Link #46
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by retracnosna
^I only watched the anime, but it didn't seem like the kind of story that would leave anyone in tears

does the feel-good vibe completely change in the manga?
Manga > Anime

The 'feel-good vibe' is definitely there a lot of the time. The comedy is hilarious, but the solemn parts are very touching. Momono's backstory about her long-distance boyfriend especially is a lot better in the manga.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 00:57   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Lets just say the manga did a much better job of establishing the complexity of these interesting characters and the obstacles that must be overcome. And the ending blows away the anime ending (though that was quite good as well).
Old 2006-09-28, 03:57   Link #48
retracnosna

I'll probably check it out then

I'm hoping it isn't overly serious though, the main charm of the anime was how heartwarming everything was (imo)
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 10:19   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agree... obviously this is just my opinion but the heartwarming isn't broken by the expansion of the nature of the characters. It actually raises the "heartwarm" several notches
Old 2006-10-28, 13:48   Link #50
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

I've just finished reading volume 12. Most of the loose ends were tied up, but I have some queries:
Spoiler for Volume 12 spoilers:
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 14:25   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

vol 12 spoiler
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-28, 14:52   Link #52
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 15:13   Link #53
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Those spoilers are so tempting... Still haven't gotten volume 12 yet... I just can't justify the shipping costs for one manga ordering from japan. I will get it soon though, at least I hope I will...

Anyway, it seems Hiyoko no Gao released their version of chapter 51 a few days ago. I was a bit suprised to see my translation wasn't off by much. There were a few places it wasn't quite right, but 90% or so was pretty good and I got all the important points right. Though it's amazing the difference the editting made.

edit: 52 is out as well. Time to check how I did with those 4-koma.
Old 2006-10-31, 15:38   Link #54
wrook

I just thought I'd update you guys that Hiyoko no Gao has released Chapter 51 and 52.

Torrents are available from the forum at http://www.hiyokonogao.co.nr/
Yes, the address has changed. We had a server problem and had to restart the forum from scratch.

Anyway, the scan quality isn't what we normally release, but should improve for Chapter 53 (which is in translation at the moment).

Anyway, I won't spam any longer. I'm just posting because someone asked previously.
wrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 22:59   Link #55
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrook View Post
Anyway, I won't spam any longer. I'm just posting because someone asked previously.
That's not spam, wrook: it's the best news I've heard in a while
Nothing worse than a great manga that's unlicensed and unscanlated. Glad to see Mahoraba won't fall into this category after all.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 03:29   Link #56
chrono12
PPP

Just finished the last vol, and i must say this is one great manga i have read in a long while. Heartwarming to the MAX!

As for the manga better than the anime, i don't really tink that it's right to comment like that. The anime was done while the manga was still being published, hence some plots didn't managed to get animated...

Now that the manga had finished, would anyone like to have a 2nd season for Mahoraba? Personally i don't mind one and i like to see how the rest of the manga would get animated. The ending for the anime does allow a continuation of the story with little changes.

chrono12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 04:11   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, my reading of the person with Sayoko is that of
Spoiler:

The anime is outstanding but like any moving interpretation of a fixed media (like a film from a book) there are going to be differences. The cool thing about the anime is that it provided a distinct ending yet left a big opening for a second season that could follow the manga once it was completed.

We could hope for such a thing (though I'm not too optimistic.

On Kozue's parents:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-03, 02:21   Link #58
chrono12
PPP

Regarding of the person with Sayoko
Spoiler:

Let's cross our fingers & hope we can see a 2nd season of Mahoraba
Old 2006-11-03, 03:28   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The wood carver first appears I think when he/she finds a discarded statue of Sayoko's in the park but I can't remember which volume that was. I'm crashing for now but I'll try to flip through tomorrow at lunch.

I'm wishful for the 2nd season but not hopeful because there wasn't a huge amount of merchandising. Wierder things have happened though...
Old 2006-11-06, 22:38   Link #60
chrono12
PPP

The wood carver appear in vol 7 of the manga when he/she spotted Sayoko wandering around in the park then gave her a block of wood to crave. Sayoko went home (cos she hungry ) while the wood craver went to buy drinks for them leaving behind a wood craving of Asami. In vol 10, the wood craver reappear again when he/she spotted Asami. Given that the small number of appearance for the wood craver, it may be hard for us to get an ans for the wood craver's gender.

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen, slice of life