AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-04-05, 23:04   Link #41
Alchemist007
*Author

I honestly didn't watch SSSS Gridman when it was new because that's all I heard about it. Very recently did watch it and it was pretty alright narratively, despite the included perversions.
Old 2021-04-07, 10:46   Link #42
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

But... thicc thighs save lives.

Somehow the cast reminds me more of Promare than Gridman, but I guess we'll see.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-09, 09:32   Link #43
Frontier

The Opening is a solid successor to "Union" from Gridman, showing off the cast, the villains, and Dynazenon and its components in action .

Junya Enoki is still really focused on work, albeit not as excruciatingly, he even wears glasses like Red Blood Cell. But what he should really be focusing on is learning how to fight Kaiju .

"Kaiju Eugenicists?" So they're the villains? It seems like they're just grabbing random Kaiju to control and attack the city with, but what's their endgame? And what's with that female member who looks like an older Akane and has thighs that could probably kill a man ?

So Dynazenon can transform into Dyna Rex, but it seems like the main versatility is Dyna Soldier (piloted by Yomogi) combining with the other components, like Dyna Wing (piloted by Yume) or Dyna Launcher (piloted by Gauma) and Dyna...Car? Driver? Whichever one Koyomi is piloting .

I'm glad Yume actually decided to apologize to Yomogi and seems surprisingly committed to learning to fight Kaiju along with the rest of the team. She also told him about her big sister, and despite saying they didn't get along, even Yume isn't sure of that because of how much her sisters' death impacted her. It was also nice to see Yume genuinely happy and smiling alongside her friend, but I wonder if we'll ever see her smile like that around Yomogi and the rest of the team ?

Yeah, Gauma seems like the type who would go to your house, get naked, and join you in the bath to ask why you didn't come learn how to pilot robots to fight Kaiju .

I know this show is ultimately trying to sell toys and merch, but it's kind of funny for me that the Dynazenon components are basically just figurines in their dormant form .

Dyna Soldier does the whole rising transformation sequence that Ultraman and Gridman do! That's how you know it's the main character/part .

It was pretty neat to see the Dynazenon components save the day in this episode, particularly with Dyna Wing Soldier .
Old 2021-04-09, 10:40   Link #44
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Had to pause just to appreciate the OP. It lived up to Gridman’s and had me instantly go back and rewatch it with a huge smile on my face. Also, I want a handheld Dynazenon toy. Now, on with episode 2!
Old 2021-04-09, 10:48   Link #45
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

So I guess this is set in another world? Hyper Agents are dimension hopping beings after all and the SSSS side stories were set in other worlds (they even have a Diaclone crossover recently) so it's not far from being the case.

Also someone pointed out that the dragon statue is from episode 18 of Hyper Agent Gridman and is owned by a mummy.

Oh Chise, why are you so ominous in the OP?
Old 2021-04-09, 11:11   Link #46
Blaat

So the OP is also played inside the cockpit? That's brilliant. The series is totally working for me on every level from the characters, the action and the humour. (loved the sneeze scene and Gauma's "I hate to intrude more than I have" gag)
Old 2021-04-09, 11:29   Link #47
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
So the OP is also played inside the cockpit? That's brilliant. The series is totally working for me on every level from the characters, the action and the humour. (loved the sneeze scene and Gauma's "I hate to intrude more than I have" gag)
Yeah, hearing the Opening muffled in the cockpit implied it was somehow actually playing during the battle. So Dynazenon literally has its own theme music it plays during battle .
Old 2021-04-09, 11:44   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Great OP & great episode!

Don't wanna write paragraphs off text-wall, so I'll just make bullet points:
  1. The episode 1 battle re-enactment from Yomogi's POV is very interesting (dat cockpit theme song ).
  2. This world does not reset. And LOTSA people should be dead during the battles. But the chance between this world being Akane's independent matrix-world after she got out or another universe entirely is still 50-50.
  3. Dayum! This group is already half-way there to a perfectly-working sentai-team when it comes to piloting giant robots. I guess Dyna really chose them based on their incredible aptitude
  4. Gauma was entrusted the dragon statue by a certain someone. So the possibilities are: Gridman, Sigma or the Chinese Mummy that the live-action protags had to deal with before in the OG show. The Mummy kinda thought that Yuka was his long-lost lover (echoing Universal's classic movie The Mummy from 1932). And before you ask, no, the Chinese Mummy is not Jet Li . As said before the statue was from the mummy episode and in that shot in the OP it looks like the statue was put on top of the closed-up mummy's body.
  5. The villains are Kaiju Eugenicists......Eugenicists....where have I heard that word before.....Oh crap! It's Khan! From Star Trek. Khan Noonien Singh fought the Eugenics Wars in Star Trek. Wait, is the show making a connection between Khan Noonien Singh & Khan Digifer from the OG Gridman? Are these Kaiju Eugenicists followers of Khan's teachings?
  6. Anyway, nice in-your-face toy commercial there, Tsuburaya-Trigger .
Old 2021-04-09, 12:03   Link #49
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Fantastic episode. Great action. And it still has that human element that made SSSS.Gridman stand out. Exploring the city’s destroyed segments was nicely done. And we’re still drip feeding info about Yume’s sister.

Let’s see, what else...

Yeah... do not sleep on what happening with Chise! If SSSS.Gridman taught me anything it’s that everybody in the OP is important. Especially if they get any kind of special focus! And Chise... well:
Spoiler for For size:

Sure, she’s supportive for now, but I think maybe she’s being left out. Look at her empty handed as everyone else gets their Dynazenon toys:
Spoiler for For size:

She’s also the first one we’ve seen interact with those mysterious pebbles! I think she might eventually become a problem! (Or, she’s a human form kaiju... or a god...)

Last edited by Ragashingo; 2021-04-09 at 12:43.
Ragashingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-09, 13:52   Link #50
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Dayum! This group is already half-way there to a perfectly-working sentai-team when it comes to piloting giant robots. I guess Dyna really chose them based on their incredible aptitude
I want to say they're also colour coded like a sentai team but then again their colours don't really match up what you would expect in a sentai team: Gauma/Yellow, Yomogoi/Blue, Minami/White or Pink, Koyomi/Green, Chise/Red

Gauma is the leader but Yomogoi has the main character centre piece mech, but neither of them are red. Chise is red and she's on the sidelines, for now.
Old 2021-04-09, 14:55   Link #51
Frontier

It's kind of early, but Chise's personality kind of reminds me of Akane? At least her public persona.
Old 2021-04-09, 16:36   Link #52
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Ok, so maybe this ain't kiznaiver and is a much more classic type of show instead, which I can get into. A bit weird that everyone but Yomogi is pretty good at the mechs already, but hey, power rangers did it, and this way everyone gets a piece of the action (a HUGE improvement over Gridman), and we actually see the differents parts fight rather than just combine into dynazenon all the time, so yeah, it was a bit weird, but if this is the template from now on, let's go!

Oh Chise, you have green ranger written all over already.

So Yomogi's mom is that type. Guess that sort of explains his attitude.

Nice to see Yume not being anywhere near as gloomy or disinterested as I expected. Sure, she's not excited, but she's doing the thing.

And yeah, the cockpit music was a nice detail. Good OP too.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-09, 17:03   Link #53
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Ok, so maybe this ain't kiznaiver and is a much more classic type of show instead, which I can get into. A bit weird that everyone but Yomogi is pretty good at the mechs already, but hey, power rangers did it, and this way everyone gets a piece of the action (a HUGE improvement over Gridman), and we actually see the differents parts fight rather than just combine into dynazenon all the time, so yeah, it was a bit weird, but if this is the template from now on, let's go!

Oh Chise, you have green ranger written all over already.

So Yomogi's mom is that type. Guess that sort of explains his attitude.

Nice to see Yume not being anywhere near as gloomy or disinterested as I expected. Sure, she's not excited, but she's doing the thing.

And yeah, the cockpit music was a nice detail. Good OP too.
To be fair, he'd probably be better if he hadn't missed the off-screen training they did in the mountains .

I wonder if Dynazenon itself is ever going to win a fight. It had to go Dyna Rex to fend off the first Kaiju, and that seems to be it's "real" main form (since it's basically Dyna Dragon).
Old 2021-04-09, 18:37   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Interesting that the damage done to the city doesn't reset, and that people barely seem to give a shit there are kaijus and giant robots walking around.

Yume is turning out to be a great gal. I was surprised she not only showed up to the training sessions but even went out of her way to help Yomogi. She clearly felt bad about tricking him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illsteir View Post
Oh Chise, why are you so ominous in the OP?
Probably has to do with her picking up a kaiju "egg" in this episode.
Old 2021-04-09, 20:04   Link #55
Wandering Soul

I was expecting Yume to be quite the problem for the team going forward, but she's actually pretty cooperative. She not only actually trains, but help out Yomogi.

The OP playing in the cockpit was a nice touch.
Old 2021-04-09, 21:46   Link #56
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

To put more emphasis on the Star Trek theme of the Kaiju Eugenicists, the "Instance Domination"-hand gesture is basically a variation of the "Live Long & Prosper"-hand gesture from Star Trek...

....... and Trek-Khan is basically a eugenist himself.

Also, back to the Mummy thing, look at Gauma's get-up:

Look at the yellow bandages on him. It looks suspiciously mummy-like. Is he the mummy himself, or is he the mummy's successor like the kaiju girl (Anosillus 2) is the successor of Anosillus?
Old 2021-04-09, 22:01   Link #57
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

I was wondering what was up with the reverse "live long and prosper" hand sign...

So far this reminds me more of Thunderbirds than a color coded sentai squad, though.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-09, 22:17   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
So far this reminds me more of Thunderbirds than a color coded sentai squad, though.
It's mostly a major callback to Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad. In that show, the MC's friends actually fought along by piloting the Assist Weapons instead of just controlling them in front of a PC like Teppei & Yuka.
Old 2021-04-09, 23:42   Link #59
Chosen_Hero

Episode 2 happens and well:

Culture has finally arrived.

Good to know that the team making the show knows their audience.

(P.S. I didn't make that, it was already made by someone else by the time I finished the episode.)
Old 2021-04-10, 00:45   Link #60
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Ah yes, there are the thighs. See?
And we even got loli armpits too this time. Excellent... Excellent. Now we got a show.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, tokusatsu