Irenesharda

A great end to this arc.

Spoiler for Ep. 14:

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 09:43   Link #42
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I originally posted this on Reddit, but I'll re-post it here as well.

Spoiler for Episode 14:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 20:03   Link #43
Wandering Soul

Spoiler for episode 14:
Old 2020-06-21, 06:18   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for episode 9 and 10:
Yes.

Spoiler for Tneory about the eventual ending:

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2020-06-21 at 07:19.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-21, 10:56   Link #45
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes.

Spoiler for Tneory about the eventual ending:
I'm not going to pretend to know much about Japanese history, I only know those characters from the many anime they've been in. So I couldn't begin to theorize there. And it kind of gets thrown when Makoto gets Edward VIII in the 3rd arc. So, the figure might not apply to the characters themselves but to the arcs they are in? Like as an overall theme?

Spoiler for What Laurent is Doing:

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2020-06-21 at 11:07.
Old 2020-06-21, 12:14   Link #46
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Yes.
I guess you're being facetious?

Spoiler for episode 14:
Old 2020-06-21, 16:30   Link #47
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I guess you're being facetious?
No, but I can't really comment as I've only seen through episode 10.
Old 2020-06-21, 17:41   Link #48
Uribatake

Just finished watching the first arc, and while this show is entertaining and beautiful to look at, not to mention the ED sung by the peerless Freddie Mercury, it's exactly the kind of story that was ruined for me by Rick and Morty episode 4x03, down to the
Spoiler:

Edit: now that I've seen all 14 episodes that have been released so far, I must say I enjoyed the second and third arcs much more than the first one. This show just works better for me when Laurent and co. don't keep Edamura (and the viewers, by extension) in the dark about the scams they're running.

Last edited by Uribatake; 2020-06-22 at 23:03.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-25, 17:02   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Anyone know when Netflix JP will release the next bach of episodes? Nothing this week, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribatake View Post
Edit: now that I've seen all 14 episodes that have been released so far, I must say I enjoyed the second and third arcs much more than the first one. This show just works better for me when Laurent and co. don't keep Edamura (and the viewers, by extension) in the dark about the scams they're running.
He's always kept in the dark on some level, but I get what you mean. In the first arc he was pretty much an outsider they were making use of. Now he's actually part of the team, whether he likes it or not.
Old 2020-06-25, 17:18   Link #50
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Anyone know when Netflix JP will release the next bach of episodes? Nothing this week, apparently.

He's always kept in the dark on some level, but I get what you mean. In the first arc he was pretty much an outsider they were making use of. Now he's actually part of the team, whether he likes it or not.
It was announced from the start that it will air in two parts, so I presume a long break. Just hope it's not till September or so.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-25, 18:07   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
It was announced from the start that it will air in two parts, so I presume a long break. Just hope it's not till September or so.
I didn't remember that. That sucks. Definitely hope the wait won't be too long.
Old 2020-06-26, 10:34   Link #52
Irenesharda

New promo for Great Pretender came out. Shows some new scenes for those of us who are already caught up on all the released episodes. Next case (Laurent's) will be called "The Wizard of the Far East".

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-06-27, 07:54   Link #53
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So now I'm thinking - maybe Laurent is the cat?
Old 2020-06-27, 10:42   Link #54
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I've decided to finish the first two cases before making a post on my first thoughts, so here we go.

Los Angeles Connection is pretty much the story of Edamame and the grayness of circumstances. The guy has a pretty strong sense of justice because of his lawyer father, though his father's involvement in a human smuggling ring and the ensuing collapse of his mother's health brought everything crashing down. Being entangled into Laurent's business brought him to meet the former gang leader Salazar, who like him was forced into doing shady things for the sake of someone they deemed important. Laurent's interest towards Edamame was interesting in itself; why put this much effort into bringing up some random Japanese guy into what can be considered the lynchpin of his plan to take Cassano's money? This may be something that would be brought up in future cases, but I had a hunch that Laurent was seeing part of himself in Edamame. After all, their confidence man group only targets people who are up to no good anyway.

The same interaction occurred in Singapore Sky, where this time, Abigail becomes a pilot for a team designed to wiggle into the rigged (almost WWE-tier scripting, I swear) air racing series by the Ibrahim brothers. However, it is a bit heavy on the details as Abigail's past as a former child soldier was revealed, and by sheer coincidence, one of the former pilots in the competition, Lewis/Lewis Mueller, was an Air Force soldier deployed to bomb down Baghdad, where Abigail was once such victim of the bombings. Turns out, they somehow had the same idea of wanting to be in a good spot to die. (I felt like even if Abby would slit out Lewis there, it won't be as fulfilling as the guy wanted himself dead anyway.) Anyway, by the end of the case, things haven't improved between Edamame and Abby, but well, she has her personal hell to deal with, and now may be too soon in opening her heart to a new friend or ally.

As for the next case, who's next? Chances are that it's Cynthia's turn for some exposition.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-30, 16:13   Link #55
Irenesharda

Quote:
So now I'm thinking - maybe Laurent is the cat?
I think Laurent is the guy kissing the woman at the end of the ED. He has Laurent's shape, shirt style, and hair style.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-06-30, 16:54   Link #56
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It'd be more fun if he was the cat. And the cat could be that guy, actually - same person.
Old 2020-07-01, 20:42   Link #57
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I think Laurent is the guy kissing the woman at the end of the ED. He has Laurent's shape, shirt style, and hair style.
I've been thinking that they are Makoto's parents because his mom was the one into cats and because the male shape looks like his dad.
Old 2020-07-02, 06:50   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
I've been thinking that they are Makoto's parents because his mom was the one into cats and because the male shape looks like his dad.
The ED features Laurent's ring, it's about him. Not to mention the song. I do think Makoto's dad will get involved at some point, but he's not an important enough character to get the ED to himself.
Old 2020-08-20, 12:23   Link #59
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So it's now available on Netflix in the US. I only watched a couple of moments but was amused to see this billboard at the beginning:

Apparently the vending machine has joined electric lines to become an icon for Japan.

When I first heard about this show, it was close to the release date (today). So rather than torrenting the individual episodes I decided to wait. Probably won't start watching until tomorrow or the weekend since I want to watch Biden's acceptance speech tonight.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 02:57   Link #60
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Looks like the Netflix JP airing will contionue on September 21st. I presume they'll show arc 4 and a week later arc 5.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conmen