AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-07, 04:04   Link #41
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So this is Fate Stay Night but with Super Robots? The plot and setting is a curious mix of fantasy for sure but unfortunately the Cute Girls Only Cast is a bit of let down for me. Not a single character felt authentic imo.

I was only curious because it had the ReZero staff behind it but it looks like I'll be giving this one a pass after all.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-07, 10:29   Link #42
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Cool title, but it's just another (only)Cute Girls Doing x Thing

Blatant removal of the other gender just makes it uninteresting
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-07, 13:06   Link #43
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The mechs reminded me of Ryu Knight. It's been a while since a mecha anime's gripped me, but I don't think this one will do it either. I hope I'll at least find it watchable.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-08, 20:14   Link #44
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Granbelm. First Impressions

Episode 1. The Only Mages in the World

I wasn't keen to pick-up Granbelm at the start of the season given that prior to this show I'd made my mind with another nine titles beforehand. Nevertheless, there was something in the art that piqued a bit of my interest, and so with low to no expectations at all, I hopped right into the first episode, and, to be honest, while Granbelm did sport redundant tropes (attempted before over and over) such as brandishing a generic plot and playing with the fantasy formula non-stop, nonetheless, I felt some potential with the storytelling.

The storytelling may deliver so as long as the characters develop for me to truly invest my time on them and, actually, care for them as well. The must obvious of this developments is the precursor beginning to the Shingetsu and Mangetsu friendship so as long the staff keeps it grounded around the scope and setting of the story, as well the possible ramifications that would affect such relationship as the Granbelm war rages on and on.

Needless to say, I do get the match of tropes being used in this show for magical girls and mecha, since the mages operate giant, magical mecha dolls (unofficial term) known as the Armanox, which their design while cute also feels to me like exuding an aura of elegance backed-up with such humongous destructive power.

Definitely, I'm hooked up with the visuals of the battles and what the Armanox are capable to do in the battlefield, but it is wishful hope from my part that the plot as well delivers, or at least becoming entertaining enough for this anime to be cheesy funny for me to enjoy. By the way, if I have to complain about the first episode was the scarce exposition on the state of matters regarding the history of magic explained by Shingetsu and the mystery nature of the magiconatius, as well as be left with a dumbfounded feeling, like the MC girl, when the first episode ends abruptly.

Still, the music and soundtrack sound majestic and borrowing from high fantasy cues which nicely remind me of the anime from the late 1990's to early 2000's period.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 16:29   Link #45
rpgman1

Okay the 2nd episode explains so many things about Granbelm since it only happens during a full moon which give clues about Shingetsu and Mangetsu's names. Shingetsu is something of an anomaly, which reminds me of Shirou Emiya from FSN. Difference is that she wants to be acknowledged for her existence, even if she isn't good at anything else.

The mecha they're piloting are like their body doubles. When it's heavily damaged their gems turned grey indicating they no long have any magic power to participate in Granbelm. Granbelm seems to mirror what is the equivalent of FSN's Holy Grail War.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 18:23   Link #46
Applehell

As expected this took a much needed break from the action in episode 1 to recontextualize what happens and provide some characterization for the characters. Mangetsu is the most focused here and episode did a decent job displaying her pathos and why it lead a seemingly ordinary girl like her to participate in Granblem. I'm guessing her family part of some very long forgotten mage bloodline, perhaps ones hat cast off their magic heritage hence why she wasn't taught anything about this until now.

Right now what I don't get is the point of becoming a Princep means exactly aside from inheriting a power that was once common. Magic was mostly sealed off from the world due the dangers brought about by it's misuse from what I understand so I'm not sure why this position needs to exist unless it necessary for sealing process to remain? Or is one allowed to whatever they want with that power? Too little is known about this particular detail at the present. Hopefully that is revealed at one point, otherwise while this isn't doing anything groundbreaking for the genre it was solid 2nd episode. Till next week!
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 18:37   Link #47
Kazu-kun

The MC is way too OP. I don't see how this thing can be interesting with the MC being so stupidly OP. All the other girls should surrender next episode or something. What's the point when the power gap is so huge?
Old 2019-07-12, 18:41   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They're telling us only one person can win and become the Princept but the anime's subtitle is "The two Princepts", so did they just spoil the whole plot or what?

I like Mangetsu more after this episode. Her motivation for participating in Granbelm is pretty down to earth and relatable. I'm curious to see how the show will handle her obviously OP powers.
Old 2019-07-12, 20:44   Link #49
Kitsu Breaker

Do I see well in the preview?
Apparently a girl will kiss the one with bands, but still not sure.

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 22:54   Link #50
rladls2121

I only watched 1/3 of the second episode, but this anime's quality itself kind of above average to me.

I think memories being erased is a very bad idea, coincidence or not Mangetsu at most needs those experiences to even keep herself alive because she may not be lucky at the second time she gets involved in this business because of some "coincidence".

Who knows someone is pulling the strings.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-12, 22:58   Link #51
Kazu-kun

^ She didn't get her memories erased though. She was too powerful for Shigetsu's memory erasing powers to work on her.

Actually that's the problem with Mangetsu. She's way too powerful. Winning this crap is gonna be too easy for her once she gets used to her super duper OP abilities. There is no tension to be had here.
Old 2019-07-12, 23:23   Link #52
Applehell

I think it's best wait couple episode and see how earlier battles fair before Mangetsu supposedly OPness is gonna effect anything. Being strong doesn't mean much unless you know how to use that strength and we see this time and time again in fiction. My gut feeling is that she will going to struggle quite a bit before she starts getting used to her ARNANOX and mastering it. Until then her specs is probably what help make up for her shortcomings.
Old 2019-07-12, 23:32   Link #53
Kazu-kun

There is no tension either way. The moment she gets used to it, it's game over. She's just way too powerful is almost ridiculous.
Old 2019-07-12, 23:42   Link #54
rladls2121

So this is going to be a series that we have to be sorry for the bad guys I mean girls?
I'm going to see what will happen next then.
It is still episode 2 and I want see why.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 06:25   Link #55
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
There is no tension either way. The moment she gets used to it, it's game over. She's just way too powerful is almost ridiculous.
It's going to be the WORST type of "tension" where the MC will probably be useless (since she consciously can't control her powers) most of the time, EXCEPT whenever the writer just gift wraps her a win by turning on her powers. Meaning nothing she really does is her accomplishment.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 14:35   Link #56
Applehell

I'm not sure how take away for her accomplishment. The story very beginning already make no bones about power difference between ARNANOXs. The strength of mechs is based on inherent magical power to begin with and that why Shingetsu can take 2-3 mechs on her own. None of them were ever on equal playing ground which probably why some of them teamed up. If Mangetsu mastered White Lily and ends up being better than others that's fine, it's entirely within the setting's rules. It doesn't mean won't be an even more powerful ARNANOX than she has either.
Old 2019-07-13, 14:45   Link #57
Kazu-kun

^ Shingetsu made it very clear the descendants of mages can only perform basic magic tricks because actual magic power was sealed away. That's why they're fighting to begin with. To gain actual magic.

Mangetsu isn't just a little stronger. Rather, she appears to be the only one to have actual magic somehow. While Shingetsu could only make a few flowers bloom, Mangetsu turned the whole school into a fucking forest. Her magical power is way over the chart.

This actually calls into question the point of the show, because of she already has actual magic, what's the point of fighting to get the magic in the first place? For all we know the source of magic is already inside her somehow and all the fightings are pointless.
Old 2019-07-13, 15:24   Link #58
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ Shingetsu made it very clear the descendants of mages can only perform basic magic tricks because actual magic power was sealed away. That's why they're fighting to begin with. To gain actual magic.

Mangetsu isn't just a little stronger. Rather, she appears to be the only one to have actual magic somehow. While Shingetsu could only make a few flowers bloom, Mangetsu turned the whole school into a fucking forest. Her magical power is way over the chart.
None of that is mutually exclusive tho. Shingetsu definitely looks both magically stronger and skilled than Fugo and her group. Maybe they could won if all 3 had been going a her constantly, but the fact that just 2 of them were struggling against her without landing a hit says a lot. The only time she took any damage at all was when a out of way bolt of energy hit her when she defending Mangetsu and blast look it should did more damage than it did. There is no way she could won if she didn't possess both extraordinary power and ability. Mangetus only shown the former and which allow to win because the enemy completely underestimated her and then lost her cool and charged at her directly. It's wasn't like Mangetsu wasn't in danger of losing here until lucked out by not being taken seriously.

Quote:
This actually calls into question the point of the show, because of she already has actual magic, what's the point of fighting to get the magic in the first place? For all we know the source of magic is already inside her somehow and all the fightings are pointless.
Shingetsu mentioned that the magic they can use is real world is very limited and sounds barely be called that. It's manipulating fields rather creating anything. It's like the Fate series where there difference magecraft and true magic. Former look like parlor tricks and compared the latter. Magicians in that verse are usually striving to achieve the latter. I imagine that becoming a Princept is part of sealing process in some way too. To normal even that much is incredibly, but nothing compared to unrestricted that once existed.

Beyond that I think each of girls might have some goal they want accomplish that power whihc they can't with they can do now.
Old 2019-07-13, 15:44   Link #59
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
None of that is mutually exclusive tho. Shingetsu definitely looks both magically stronger and skilled than Fugo and her group.
Shingetsu's just a little stronger. She had to fight pretty hard to win that battle. There's no comparison with Mangetsu. I don't know how you can't see how ridiculously OP she is. Episode 2 should have made it clear when she turned the whole school into a jungle, something none of the others could possibly do because that kind of magic is supposed to be sealed away in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if she already is a Princept without even knowing it.
Old 2019-07-13, 17:33   Link #60
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 2:

Mangetsu wakes up naked in bed, and Shingetsu taking a shower. That looks like an "after-sex" scene. -- just kidding. xD

some needed character development happens here. More characters from the OP are introduced as well.
I sort of understand what Mangetsu is thinking. She seems to have no special talent at all, she brings lunch for everyone to try and get noticed. Then finding out someday that she can do magic and pilot a magical robot, it would be hard to give up those.

The red-haired girl feels hot... well, she's always angry so that must have an effect on always feeling hot.

And why is Shingetsu a "demon". What did she do in the past?

no robot action this time, but still an entertaining episode. Looking forward to next week.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female lead, holygrail, magical girl, mecha