AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

View Poll Results: Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 4 20.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 35.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 10.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2019-02-07, 06:36   Link #41
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post
The episode was a little bit too fast for my taste, at least they covered the important parts such as the problem with the rewards, the scene with the Queen and the race.
But they didn't cover the part relating to why the other Heroes got more reward than Naofumi and the extra "Jobs" the other Heroes took/got (a question which Raphtalia raises directly to the King; in WN, LN and Manga).

The reason being that these "Jobs" do play some part in an minor issue which happens in future.
Old 2019-02-07, 08:07   Link #42
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Naofumi might be primarily a LN otaku, but at this point he should realize. He is destined to become a pokemon trainer and load that load up that wagon with furry lolis.
○ Slave hero?
○ Slave trainer?
○ Slave master?

He's gonna be the very best, like no-one ever was. To find them is the is his real test, enslave them just because.
Old 2019-02-07, 10:37   Link #43
Ichinotachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
But they didn't cover the part relating to why the other Heroes got more reward than Naofumi and the extra "Jobs" the other Heroes took/got (a question which Raphtalia raises directly to the King; in WN, LN and Manga).

The reason being that these "Jobs" do play some part in an minor issue which happens in future.
Is almost like this is an adaptation and it doesn't need to be a 1 to 1 copy, they even left the detail about the slave mark out of the episode and that's something relevant for Raph as a character.
Old 2019-02-07, 10:56   Link #44
Router25
World Connector. I think

This ep finally confirms my doubts on that one fact on ep. 1, as to why a Matriarch country has only the King on the throne. Seems like when the Queen is out to work, the Princess bitch controls the King.
Old 2019-02-07, 11:38   Link #45
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
There's a more disturbing scene this episode that's been bugging me, it's when Raph got her seal back. She asks Naofumi "What do you think?" and Naofumi didn't notice.

What exactly is Raph asking? Her face kind of implies that she's showing off her chest to Naofumi, but that scene also reminds me of when a girl gets a new tattoo that's she's showing off

Either way that's .. a bit creepy for me. Either she's showing off her boobs (I'm a full grown woman now, definitely not the scrawny child you bought 3 episodes ago!) or her boob tattoo (look at my restored front tramp stamp!), or of course I could've completely misinterpreted that scene.
Given her reaction, I think she wants him to notice her as a woman.
Old 2019-02-07, 12:17   Link #46
The Green One

It's simple, she's developed feelings for him at this point and is trying to appeal to him so yeah trying to get him to notice her as a woman.
Old 2019-02-07, 12:33   Link #47
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm surprised people are even questioning it. Of course it was her boobs she wanted him to notice. You guys are as dense as Naofumi
Old 2019-02-07, 12:34   Link #48
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm surprised people are even questioning it. Of course it was her boobs she wanted him to notice. You guys are as dense as Naofumi
What's wrong with checking the update on status menu?

Old 2019-02-07, 12:56   Link #49
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post
Is almost like this is an adaptation and it doesn't need to be a 1 to 1 copy, they even left the detail about the slave mark out of the episode and that's something relevant for Raph as a character.
What detail are you referring to?
Old 2019-02-07, 12:57   Link #50
Dharma

Quote:
If I were one of the two heroes, I would've given a portion of my reward to shield hero just to piss off the king and myne/melty/princess
And what if they execute all four of you and summon another bunch of gullible idiots AKA heroes after you piss them off enough?
Quote:
One of shield hero's apparent allies comes out just after he goes through his "healing" scene, how convenient! I'm sure he would've appreciated the help at his lowest point, it's the queen after all, one of, if not the, most powerful figure in this matriarchy. Somehow despite knowing a lot about shield hero it's only at this point that she chooses to let her secret service move to "help" the shield hero.
Maybe it is just message loop. We have only seen teleportation in relation to wave, so it is possible that message spy-girls is the fastest way of communication. Or maybe faster channels are easy to control - like crystal ball kept in royal treasury under constant watch.
Old 2019-02-07, 13:44   Link #51
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Well it's confirmed Raphtalia had the slave curse put back, even though Naofumi felt it unnecessary. And the way she said it sounds like it wasn't even just a way to ensure he'd have no reason to doubt her; instead it sounds like she'd come to view that mark as a symbol of their bond and his faith in her. Kind of odd but I suppose it could happen. Additionally, while I don't know if the slavery affected her growth before, since he's now obtained a slave-master shield I wouldn't be surprised if that has some effects. Just like the herb shields made herb quality increase, it'd make sense for a slave-owner shield to have an impact on his slave.
'Odd, but could happen'? 'Slave owner shield'? The idea of a popular anime presenting slavery, slavery based superpowers and happiness in a sexualised slave-owner bond (search Nao x Raph, it's sexualised), all uncondemned, is literally repulsive to me. The anime may present, or spin, these elements to seem less than abhorrent but they are, and shouldn't be.

I would merely find it distasteful if this was a period piece or non-Isekai fantasy, of course different societies have different values. I loved Huck Finn and plodded all through Turtledove's Southern Victory. But Naofumi has spent his entire life in modern day Japan; he must know that his love interest/sex slave's desire for him to replace the slave curse is wrong, and must be met by his outright refusal. The Isekai genre ruins everything, who would have thought it?

I admit, IF there is a copper-bottomed practical reason that Naofumi had to replace the slave curse, then all this is only thematically disgusting. Otherwise Naofumi has lost all claim he had to be owning slaves from necessity, and I'm very glad that anime can produce a better class of hero than that.
Old 2019-02-07, 14:08   Link #52
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
'Odd, but could happen'? 'Slave owner shield'? The idea of a popular anime presenting slavery, slavery based superpowers and happiness in a sexualised slave-owner bond (search Nao x Raph, it's sexualised), all uncondemned, is literally repulsive to me. The anime may present, or spin, these elements to seem less than abhorrent but they are, and shouldn't be.

I would merely find it distasteful if this was a period piece or non-Isekai fantasy, of course different societies have different values. I loved Huck Finn and plodded all through Turtledove's Southern Victory. But Naofumi has spent his entire life in modern day Japan; he must know that his love interest/sex slave's desire for him to replace the slave curse is wrong, and must be met by his outright refusal. The Isekai genre ruins everything, who would have thought it?

I admit, IF there is a copper-bottomed practical reason that Naofumi had to replace the slave curse, then all this is only thematically disgusting. Otherwise Naofumi has lost all claim he had to be owning slaves from necessity, and I'm very glad that anime can produce a better class of hero than that.
I don't see anything wrong with that. Its implied to be something similar to "Dual Gun Mastery unlocked when player use Dual Gun weapon", "Sword Mastery unlocked after several use of certain sword", or skills unlocked due to certain progresses. Its not like other games didn't have it, as example musou game have that kind of subordinate-related player skill where its only benefit those serving player and unlocked after the subordinate trust level high, or how monster-breeding game have race-locked player skills for certain monsters that you would like to have.

Following your claim, the entire leveling mechanism alone should be considered as total mistake given it encourages audiences to commit murder, slaughtering animals to became stronger while Huck Finn definitely didn't level up by slaughtering animals.
Old 2019-02-07, 14:29   Link #53
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Given her reaction, I think she wants him to notice her as a woman.
And while the whole "look at my new boobs!" routine didn't faze him, there was a moment during the episode where he blushed a little while looking at her, so I think he is becoming a little more conscious about the fact that Raphtalia's not a little girl anymore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Honestly, what threw me off a little was thinking that she's mentally mature enough to think to do that kind of thing, but I guess I should just remember that animal-people really age fast on a lot of levels on this show .
Old 2019-02-07, 14:56   Link #54
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
There's a more disturbing scene this episode that's been bugging me, it's when Raph got her seal back. She asks Naofumi "What do you think?" and Naofumi didn't notice.

What exactly is Raph asking? Her face kind of implies that she's showing off her chest to Naofumi, but that scene also reminds me of when a girl gets a new tattoo that's she's showing off

Either way that's .. a bit creepy for me. Either she's showing off her boobs (I'm a full grown woman now, definitely not the scrawny child you bought 3 episodes ago!) or her boob tattoo (look at my restored front tramp stamp!), or of course I could've completely misinterpreted that scene.
It's even more creepy when you become conscious that just before her "look at my bewbies" scene she was basically being "handled" by the slave dealer who drew the tattoo.

Quote:
One of shield hero's apparent allies comes out just after he goes through his "healing" scene, how convenient! I'm sure he would've appreciated the help at his lowest point, it's the queen after all, one of, if not the, most powerful figure in this matriarchy. Somehow despite knowing a lot about shield hero it's only at this point that she chooses to let her secret service move to "help" the shield hero.

There might be a reason for this that hasn't been revealed yet, I'll wait

I wonder what the letter said though.
I hope they actually explain something else entirely,
  1. how did the queen (that looks actually normal) marry such a shit husband
  2. how did she end up with even shittier daughter
If they didn't have some resemblance I'd even start to speculate if they were actually related by blood.
Old 2019-02-07, 15:00   Link #55
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I hope they actually explain something else entirely,
  1. how did the queen (that looks actually normal) marry such a shit husband
  2. how did she end up with even shittier daughter
If they didn't have some resemblance I'd even start to speculate if they were actually related by blood.
And is the king older then the queen or did she just age better ?

Then again, the anime mom's who could more quickly pass for their kids' older sister then mother probably outnumber the ones who look their age .
Old 2019-02-07, 15:17   Link #56
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix
It's even more creepy when you become conscious that just before her "look at my bewbies" scene she was basically being "handled" by the slave dealer who drew the tattoo.
OK, that's just crude. Would you say the same thing to a woman who just got a tattoo in real life and was showing it off?
Old 2019-02-07, 15:23   Link #57
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
OK, that's just crude. Would you say the same thing to a woman who just got a tattoo in real life and was showing it off?
If she got it from a round slave dealer with creepy glasses and a giant toothy smile? Yes.
Old 2019-02-07, 16:46   Link #58
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post

Wrong thread for this, thanks to my and others' tendency to get passionate we now have a place for such discussion, but just a note: just because someone decides to sexualize something doesn't mean it's sexual. Rule 34 and all that. You can easily find sexualized depictions of Sakura with her brother, her father, even both at the same time. Does that mean her relationship with them is sexual? Even if they are shipped in canon, that still doesn't make it a sexual slavery relationship.

Also, as far as "how did the queen end up with a piece of $^#% for a husband", I think I can answer that without any knowledge whatsoever: politics. Melromarc is clearly set up as a medieval-style kingdom, maybe pseudo-Renaissance at the latest. At that time period marrying for political or publicity reasons was far more common than marriage for love, at least for nobility. Most likely Aultcray either has some sort of familial connections that were deemed useful or did something incredible at some point and thus won sufficient admiration and support for the marriage to have political value. Most geeks out there, myself included, can tell you that you don't need to be a good person to be popular, and just about anyone alive today can see that you don't need to be a good person to have or gain a position of influence.
Old 2019-02-08, 02:12   Link #59
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
And while the whole "look at my new boobs!" routine didn't faze him, there was a moment during the episode where he blushed a little while looking at her, so I think he is becoming a little more conscious about the fact that Raphtalia's not a little girl anymore...

Honestly, what threw me off a little was thinking that she's mentally mature enough to think to do that kind of thing, but I guess I should just remember that animal-people really age fast on a lot of levels on this show .
And it makes you wonder if Raphtalia has had like ten years shaved off her lifespan from the leveling.
Old 2019-02-08, 02:24   Link #60
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
And it makes you wonder if Raphtalia has had like ten years shaved off her lifespan from the leveling.
Eh, for all we know demi-humans live for hundreds of years.

Filo is a few days old (granted not demi-human, but magical transforming monster-bird)