4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-07-03, 12:16   Link #41
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Not bad, but I'm still scratching my head why Ufotable is doing Touken Ranbu when there's this airing.

In any case, I actually like the premise. Having always preferred RPGs with a party, I actually quite like the 7 on 7 holy war here. Would like to get away from the saber clones (and looks like there's two of them here?), but I guess it is Fate, so it is inevitable.

Though it begs the question though, if Arthur in this universe is a girl, how the frig did Mordred came to be? As far as I know Mordred is the son of Arthur and his sister (the OG incest XD), and her looking like the spitting image of Arturia rules out the possiblity that she's the daughter of someone else. Is Morgan le Fay a guy in this iteration, and the KotRT didn't notice Arturia was pregnant for 9 months? XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 12:37   Link #42
Tenzen12

Well Mordred origin is novel spoiler, though not sure if anime will explain it.
Old 2017-07-03, 12:52   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Fate's got deep, consistent lore with power mechanics that rings much more realistic than Basara's character. I mean, Oda Nobunaga with Wolverine claws with katana's? That's just stupid.
First, you put "realistic" and "Fate" together: not the brightest argument. Second, you even confused and mixed up Sengoku Basara's most prominent character unlike AntonKutovoi who knows what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Though it begs the question though, if Arthur in this universe is a girl, how the frig did Mordred came to be? As far as I know Mordred is the son of Arthur and his sister (the OG incest XD), and her looking like the spitting image of Arturia rules out the possiblity that she's the daughter of someone else. Is Morgan le Fay a guy in this iteration, and the KotRT didn't notice Arturia was pregnant for 9 months? XD
Like I said, nothing is too outrageous in Nasu-verse. Anything goes .
Old 2017-07-03, 13:16   Link #44
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Not bad, but I'm still scratching my head why Ufotable is doing Touken Ranbu when there's this airing.

In any case, I actually like the premise. Having always preferred RPGs with a party, I actually quite like the 7 on 7 holy war here. Would like to get away from the saber clones (and looks like there's two of them here?), but I guess it is Fate, so it is inevitable.

Ask again after the series if it's not revealed. It's a novel spoiler, so there's a good chance it will be revealed.

Speaking of Moedred, I'm a bit disappointed that the revelation of her identity to "Golion-san" didn't go the same as in the novel. That was a nice character development bit for the both of them, but it's not surprising that a few things would be excised, given the rushed nature of the episode...
Old 2017-07-03, 13:29   Link #45
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
That was actually Date Masamune. Anyway speaking of Oda Fate's one is loli that goes full fusion dance with busty Okita and fights humanised moe battleship while utilising power of mother Earth and meta jokes.

Make much more sense right?
Those were minor works. A franchise as old and developed as Fate is gonna own some crazy territory, but it's main,surface works like Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero are solid.

Quote:

Maybe they didn't want to be monopolized by Fate. While I'm sure ufotable would've knocked this out of the park, I'm satisfied to see a different animation style for a change.

Second that. I'm really digging this team setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
First, you put "realistic" and "Fate" together: not the brightest argument. Second, you even confused and mixed up Sengoku Basara's most prominent character unlike AntonKutovoi who knows what he's talking about.

More realistic. I'm using it as a relative term here. Nasu can be counted on to provide some sort of explanation and lore for plot, characters, and abilities. I bet the same can't be said for Sengoku Basara, which I've only seen a little of. My point still stands.
Old 2017-07-03, 13:42   Link #46
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
More realistic. I'm using it as a relative term here. Nasu can be counted on to provide some sort of explanation and lore for plot, characters, and abilities. I bet the same can't be said for Sengoku Basara, which I've only seen a little of. My point still stands.
Then what's Nasu's explanation for all the genderbend in Fate (and to a lesser extend: mana-transfer through sex)? Both are already well known as just marketing stunts to attracts consumers for the games no matter how much die-hard Fate-fans rack their brains trying to explain them in-story. The core reason is just as simple and as shallow as other genderbent anime & games out there: putting cute-girl characters at the forefront to sell products. Yeah, that is so deep that simple minds can't even begin to comprehend /s.
Old 2017-07-03, 14:36   Link #47
Tenzen12

Well for all it's worth Nasu always offer explanation why nothing and no-one follow established rules. Let's be honest even very first Fate was full of exceptions and rule breaking and by this point rules could as well not exist at all.

Solid my ass.
Old 2017-07-03, 14:49   Link #48
Applehell

Animation and stuff is good as everyone said, tho it's hard to imagine a Fate show failing on that nowadays if nothing else. The rest of episode was pretty much just a giant exposition dump in the traditional Fate fashion, but at least we didn't have two old men circling around one guy this time. The twist on this Grail War is kind of neat because it adds a team dynamic to these battles however since I haven't read LN I have no idea how well executed this will be. The last two Fate properties have sapped my enthusiasm for the franchise as whole which I was never big on outside of Fate/Zero so maybe this will start turning things for me, mixed impression on the LN aside.

Sidenote: OP song is good, had part on repeat for a good while, before I switched off.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 16:20   Link #49
grecefar

so... this is everthing we know about fate but bigger, and with colors?
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 17:03   Link #50
Applehell

Quote:
I've actually read about Mordred's backstory a long time ago and I recall it being convoluted as hell.

Maybe the anime will somehow make it better than I remembered. That is as much as I'll say on it.
Old 2017-07-03, 17:48   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It would have been nice for the first episode to be twice as long as a regular episode, like what was done with Zero and UBW. Nevertheless, they did a nice job hooking the viewers with that flashforward and then setting things up.

I was surprised to see Waver again, I didn't know he was in this too. Surprised he's in this position too, given that his development during the fourth war didn't happen since there was no such wars in that timeline. They did mention pseudo grail wars were started all over, so maybe he participated in one of those and went through similar events. I'm probably thinking too much about this.
Old 2017-07-03, 18:17   Link #52
bakato

Quote:
Then what's Nasu's explanation for all the genderbend in Fate (and to a lesser extend: mana-transfer through sex)? Both are already well known as just marketing stunts to attracts consumers for the games no matter how much die-hard Fate-fans rack their brains trying to explain them in-story. The core reason is just as simple and as shallow as other genderbent anime & games out there: putting cute-girl characters at the forefront to sell products. Yeah, that is so deep that simple minds can't even begin to comprehend /s.
Why is Shirou a guy? Why is Rin a girl? Setting choices like those don't need an explanation. Fanservice and waifu bait aside, without the genderbending I think we'd suffer from a serious lack of female characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well for all it's worth Nasu always offer explanation why nothing and no-one follow established rules. Let's be honest even very first Fate was full of exceptions and rule breaking and by this point rules could as well not exist at all.

Solid my ass.
If you mean fate/stay night, then absolutely. The system was fucked up by then, but Fate/Zero was pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I've actually read about Mordred's backstory a long time ago and I recall it being convoluted as hell.

Maybe the anime will somehow make it better than I remembered. That is as much as I'll say on it.
I read it recently and it's nothing complicated. Typical family drama with magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It would have been nice for the first episode to be twice as long as a regular episode, like what was done with Zero and UBW. Nevertheless, they did a nice job hooking the viewers with that flashforward and then setting things up.

I was surprised to see Waver again, I didn't know he was in this too. Surprised he's in this position too, given that his development during the fourth war didn't happen since there was no such wars in that timeline. They did mention pseudo grail wars were started all over, so maybe he participated in one of those and went through similar events. I'm probably thinking too much about this.
Somehow El-Melloi still ended up dying and Waver replaced him.
Old 2017-07-03, 18:19   Link #53
bakato

Fate/Apocrypha Anime to Premiere on Netflix on November 7. F*ck you Netflix. On the upside, a certain "unlimited" fansub group has risen out of the grave to do this show justice.
Old 2017-07-03, 18:50   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Why is Shirou a guy? Why is Rin a girl? Setting choices like those don't need an explanation. Fanservice and waifu bait aside, without the genderbending I think we'd suffer from a serious lack of female characters.
The argument goes both ways. If the writer is truly good and have done his research, he doesn't have to rely on genderbending servant. Just use historical/legendary figures who are actual females and weave it into the story.

And serious lack of female characters? Are you kidding me? Have you counted the numbers of non-genderbent female characters in F/SN alone? Also, when it comes to that, why does the number of female characters matter when it comes to a good story anyway? The Godfather certainly didn't need to fill a "female quota" to tell a truly great story. It's all depends on the writer's (& director's) hands.
Old 2017-07-03, 19:15   Link #55
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Thread Guidelines
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
Remember when this was the Episode 1 Apocrypha anime thread rather than generic Fate meta bashing thread?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 19:21   Link #56
Applehell

Quote:
I read it recently and it's nothing complicated. Typical family drama with magic.
Shrugs, well I will take your word for it.

Quote:
Somehow El-Melloi still ended up dying and Waver replaced him.
I guess the events of F/Z are still canon in this story unlike F/SN so Wavier's path to eventually becoming El-Melloi wasn't position where it could be heavily altered.
Old 2017-07-03, 19:27   Link #57
GDB

Literally impossible for FZ to be canon when the Greater Grail was stolen in the Third War. FZ can only happen because the Greater Grail is in Fuyuki for the Fourth War.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-03, 19:39   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Remember when this was the Episode 1 Apocrypha anime thread rather than generic Fate meta bashing thread?
It's funny how this is all started by discussing/complaining about Mordred's Transformer-helmet .
Old 2017-07-03, 19:52   Link #59
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Literally impossible for FZ to be canon when the Greater Grail was stolen in the Third War. FZ can only happen because the Greater Grail is in Fuyuki for the Fourth War.
I see, I got the wars mixed up then. Then the Wavier>El Melloi is anyone's guess right now. To non-source readers anyway.
Old 2017-07-03, 22:04   Link #60
Tenzen12

Well there was a still bunch of fake wars all around the he world...