AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 11 61.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 22.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-09-11, 07:57   Link #41
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
For me, the worrying part is that Chika still isn't aware that You's insecurities extend beyond the Qualifiers, and associates this incident with the pressure of the Qualifiers. Indeed, if your diagnosis is that the blame for You's troubles is not You's perspective, as Mari diagnose, but Chika's difficulty in balancing so many social relationships at once without diminishing her oldest friendship; then this problem is by no means solved.

Furthermore, note that neither Riko nor You have a relationship with each other beyond Chika. I think the awkwardness of You being unable to say anything to Riko during the group phone call with the rest of Aqours is emblematic of this. What Riko did was a start, and indeed she's reaching across the aisle. But I'm not sure just how much does she realize that You feels shut out of Chika's life increasingly.
Why does Chika need to become aware of You's insecurities that are now resolved? If you asked You, she would probably answer "It's okay, I was just silly You and Chika did nothing wrong, because up until now I didn't realize Chika's intentions". It's as simple as that. You can question why then Mari told her to tackle Chika in an honest manner, but I do think that the fact that You embraced Chika and openly cried herself out in front of her is You's way of being honest. Whether You got through to Chika, at this point in time, doesn't play a role.

I do believe that Chika doesn't actually have a difficulty in balancing so many social relationships. In the case of Chika + Riko, you can argue at least two combinable reasons. 1) Chika picked up on Riko's worries so obviously she would make sure to help out her friend. And 2) It's normal that she acts more familiar with a girl who is not only in the same grade, but even her class and neighbour. This is a normalcy that the other girls show, too. The 1st years stick with each other because of their pre-existing connection and so do the 3rd years. Basically, I'm saying that Chika didn't spend more time with Riko because she prefers being with her than You or anyone else, but because the circumstances, in Chika's eyes, called for it. I will be proven wrong if from now on Chika will still focus on Riko in such a significant amount that it doesn't stop at "well she's her neighbour and in same grade so she has more interactions like say Ruby with Maru". However, I want to believe this won't happen, because Riko's and You's realization of Chika's wish for unity and being able to shine together would be for naught then. Also, now that Riko is aware of You's feelings, I think that she will look out for You now to ensure that everyone gets along with each other. No, not out of pity that You is a third wheel, but out of genuine concern. This is actually where I would say that You is finally able to connect with Riko properly as a friend.
Old 2016-09-11, 09:27   Link #42
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
Still, you're right. I'll admit that Chika can and should be treating You as a friend better. I still stand by my other points though, and don't want to get into them on this topic because then it would quickly sound like shipping wars to me and I don't want that <_<.
Thank you for understanding. I'm sorry I lashed out at you like that x.x
I also know that Chika is not totally at fault; there are communication issues on both ends. I just like to defend You to the death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
Why does Chika need to become aware of You's insecurities that are now resolved? If you asked You, she would probably answer "It's okay, I was just silly You and Chika did nothing wrong, because up until now I didn't realize Chika's intentions".
Actually, if this were to happen, it would be Chika's responsibility as a friend to be question it and talk about it. If You can brush off her insecurities, and Chika doesn't question it, they would be back to square 1 where You isn't being honest with Chika.
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 09:41   Link #43
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
Actually, if this were to happen, it would be Chika's responsibility as a friend to be question it and talk about it. If You can brush off her insecurities, and Chika doesn't question it, they would be back to square 1 where You isn't being honest with Chika.
I don't see the problem, still. You's act of embracing Chika and crying symbolizes both the dissolving of her insecurities and her honest approach towards Chika. Btw. Chika did ask her why she is crying, but You completely insists that it's already fine, hence she keeps reiterating "It's fine!". The most Chika can do is stay persistent about suqeezing out info from You, but I don't see the necessity in that.
Old 2016-09-11, 09:54   Link #44
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
The most Chika can do is stay persistent about suqeezing out info from You, but I don't see the necessity in that.
It isn't necessary, so to speak, but a lot of things aren't necessary. It would be better for the relationship for You to be fully honest. Because while part of the reason for her insecurities stemmed from believing that Chika was choosing Riko over her when in reality there was no "choosing over", part of it is grounded. Chika was spending less time with You, and I doubt this is going to suddenly change, even if she did decide to meet up with her at night. Is it going to be a regular routine for Chika to go bike riding at night to spend time with You? Or is it only going to happen when Riko isn't around, and when they need to practice more?
It wouldn't be necessary, but it's entirely possible that the situation could arise again. Better to tie up loose ends and make sure Chika fully understands why You reacted the way she did.
Old 2016-09-11, 10:47   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@SleepingTerror - I'm not sure what more can reasonably be expected of Chika here.

Let's put aside romance possibilities for now. However we view it, Chika and Riko have clearly become very close. As you yourself pointed out, this kind of thing just happens in life. It's part of life, it's nobody's fault really.

Speaking personally, my best friend at the age of 10 was different from my best friend at the age of 17. I was still friends with "Age 10" person, but my interests had developed in different ways, and I met new people, which lead to a change in who my best friend was.

My Age 10 best friend was more of a traditionally masculine and very outdoors-y person, and my Age 17 best friend was more of a nerd... like me. I actually see some similarity here with You/Chika/Riko. You is a very active, very outgoing person with... I guess you could call them "high-energy" interests. Riko's main interests are maybe of a more artsy and private nature, and maybe that just clicks with Chika more? Chika certainly seems to love Riko's piano-playing. Maybe Chika and Riko just have more in common than Chika and You do.

Chika did reach out to You in this episode, and You decided to glomp her and have a good cry without saying much. Well, if that's all You needs to move on, then who are we to argue? If it's not enough for You to move on, well, it's not Chika's fault. You could have laid it all out there, but she didn't.

And Chika does have a lot on her plate right now. Lots of new friendships, all of the Aqours activities, and presumably normal school-work and study beside. Maybe you're overestimating just how much spare time Chika really has. Maybe there's a reason that Chika's more "strong friendship" moments tend to be at night, as she could be very busy in the day. Chika has become a little more quiet since Episode 8, and I continue to wonder just how drained she feels. I mean, Dia is pretty much running Aqours now, and Chika is just letting it happen. That says something about Dia, but it might say something about Chika as well.

Anyway, You will probably be fine. She's a likeable and colorful person, she'll have a good social life as long as she doesn't get too caught up in situations exactly like the one she's now in.
Old 2016-09-11, 11:05   Link #46
novalysis

Quote:
It's as simple as that. You can question why then Mari told her to tackle Chika in an honest manner, but I do think that the fact that You embraced Chika and openly cried herself out in front of her is You's way of being honest. Whether You got through to Chika, at this point in time, doesn't play a role....

This is actually where I would say that You is finally able to connect with Riko properly as a friend.
To this counter-argument, I have two responses.

Firstly, I have conceded at the start of my theory, that one could argue the problems left hanging this episode have been subtly solved; and the issue wouldn't be re-opened again, but is definitely concluded. So I thank you for making this particular argument.

My second response is a but, and it centers on Mari's obvious advice, Kanan's conspicuous absence and whether Mari really diagnosed the problem correctly or gave the right advice.

Mari's advice was for You to bluntly tell Chika her issues, directly. If that's the case, if it is sufficient for You merely to cry out on Chika's shoulders, the solution contradicts the spirit of Mari's advice, which is to talk it out thoroughly and bluntly. But wait a moment, what if Mari is wrong, not only in her solution, but also her advice, because she doesn't actually know how deeply Chika and You's childhood relation runs?

Which brings me to another issue: where is Kanan in all of this? You would think she is the best equipped to actually mediate between the problem You has with Chika. It could be that both Mari prescription and diagnosis are wrong, because she doesn't actually fully comprehend the dynamics between You and Chika on account of not knowing them from childhood, merely picking up that it seems strained because Riko has entered Chika's life. But if Mari is wrong, then.... is the issue really solved?

And a final point: depending, as Triple R has pointed out, what Love Live Sunshine really aims in terms of drama, whether or not You actually got through to Chika fully might actually matter. In a no-drama neat resolution scenario, it doesn't matter, because Riko would take note to be careful not to lock You out of Chika's life by mistake; and You got her point across to Chika without the need of a blunt message, and the point actually got through. In a high-drama situation, the fact that Chika doesn't actually fully comprehend that You thinks that Chika seems to be growing out away from her childhood friendship with You actually does matter, because it will keep fueling the pattern we've been seeing over the last few episodes, where Chika keeps locking You out of the loop whenever Riko's around.

At the end of the day, all I set out to do, was to raise the prospect that while one could make the argument that the episode has solved You's issues, viewers should not be surprised if Sunshine chooses to opt for the issue to be prolonged, and the solution offered in this episode to be mere triage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
It isn't necessary, so to speak, but a lot of things aren't necessary. It would be better for the relationship for You to be fully honest. Because while part of the reason for her insecurities stemmed from believing that Chika was choosing Riko over her when in reality there was no "choosing over", part of it is grounded. Chika was spending less time with You, and I doubt this is going to suddenly change, even if she did decide to meet up with her at night. Is it going to be a regular routine for Chika to go bike riding at night to spend time with You? Or is it only going to happen when Riko isn't around, and when they need to practice more?
It wouldn't be necessary, but it's entirely possible that the situation could arise again. Better to tie up loose ends and make sure Chika fully understands why You reacted the way she did.
This is probably Mari's internal reasoning too, based on her reading of this situation. Which might not be fully right either.

But I do think that Mari's advice to be completely honest wasn't actually followed by You, since You wasn't being directly honest; and was sending a message in such a way Chika might simply assume this an issue localized to the context of the qualifiers. That might or might not have significance; perhaps Mari was wrong and You get can through to Chika through the indirect, unspoken approach taken this episode.

So yes, I agree there are some potential loose ends left hanging, but it would be understandable in my view of Love Live Sunshine chooses to move on from the topic; and present the Chika-You rift as resolved courtesy of Mari-Onee sama/ Mama Mari and Best-girl Riko. I do happen to disagree with you that Chika can do more with this situation - I think she can't. I agree with you that Chika doesn't understand You's action, and that can still have consequences down the line.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 11:08   Link #47
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@SleepingTerror - I'm not sure what more can reasonably be expected of Chika here.
True, true. This is me assuming that the situation isn't 100% resolved. If it is, good, was rooting for You get over Chika and move on since the beginning. If not, well, a relationship that's one sided is no good. If Chika really doesn't feel the same way as You, that is, value You as much as You values Chika, then it is You's responsibility to move on. Can't force someone to change their feelings, though Chika telling You directly would be nice instead of stringing her along.

Last edited by SleepingTerror; 2016-09-11 at 11:09. Reason: ninja'd
Old 2016-09-11, 12:42   Link #48
Requiem-x
The slacking one

And sunshine passes the drama test with flying colors! By not having really that much of it! And yet, this was easily one of the most touching episodes.

Subs are out, by the way, but not from the usual source, so prepare for some differences in translation style.

Anyway, you all know about it by now, but in the end, You had nothing to worry about, she just hadn't had her chance to shine just yet ( Well, Riko IS a bit more delicate than You, after all. Just look at Chika's contact picture ), but when it was necessary, Chika came through for her, and without having to be talked into it by anyone. And what a way to wrap it up, having Riko being the one to show You how it is, and while her message might've sounded out of nowhere, it wasn't at all: Chika always saw herself as a nobody, so she was probably very reluctant to join the, in her eyes, much more talented You, but now that they're in something together, she's gonna go all out.

And we even got time for some comedy, without downplaying the drama either, most notable being You's anti washi-washi defenses Keep the groping to your girlfriend, Mari. And of course, gotta bring up You looks cute with glasses.

Another great episode. All that's left is how to "wrap it up".

...yeah, right

So, can we now be at ease, shipp...ers....ah... right. Whatever, great episode.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 12:53   Link #49
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
(Well, Riko IS a bit more delicate than You, after all. Just look at Chika's contact picture )
In case this wasn't clear to people yet, I would like to say that Chika does not have a Riko wallpaper. Riko only appears on the screen, because she set it as a calling image. You can customize what image appears when a specific person calls you similar to how you can set a specific ringtone to play for different people. If Chika really had a Riko wallpaper, it would mean that You has a Riko wallpaper as well (different images btw.).

Quote:
So, can we now be at ease, shipp...ers....ah... right. Whatever, great episode.
The ship will never stop advancing. And it's not gonna turn into a shipwreck either. It will pierce right through the next harbour, and the next, and the next, and etc....
Old 2016-09-11, 13:07   Link #50
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
On whether the 2nd year drama persists or not; this wouldn't be the 1st time Sunshine!! has had a "1st" conclusion. Riko's piano anxieties didn't resolve in episode 2 (resurfacing some in episode 7), and Chika's newfound confidence following episode 8's 0 is suspect when she hides from the rest during episode 9 (dinner scene). The show has 2/3 done this to the 2nd years while the others finished at first blush. Hanamaru learned to overcome the "bar to entry", Ruby had to come into her own separate from Dia, Yoshiko learned to accept herself, and the 3rd years hugged it out. Riko's story arc looks finished, but the ETA for Chika and You is waffly from the amount of time passing before Riko had the resolve to play again, combined with the Numazu merging or when Step! ZERO to ONE happens. And this is still talking about the 2nd years separately when this trio of two friendships is now ironically interlocked

It's possible the entire situation's being read too much, but remember how everyone IT'S JOKE!d about Sunshine!!'s real conflict being a ChikaRikoYou love triangle early on? If we only knew...
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 13:16   Link #51
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
In case this wasn't clear to people yet, I would like to say that Chika does not have a Riko wallpaper. Riko only appears on the screen, because she set it as a calling image. You can customize what image appears when a specific person calls you similar to how you can set a specific ringtone to play for different people. If Chika really had a Riko wallpaper, it would mean that You has a Riko wallpaper as well (different images btw.).

The ship will never stop advancing. And it's not gonna turn into a shipwreck either. It will pierce right through the next harbour, and the next, and the next, and etc....
I know that, just didn't know how to call it. I was talking about the picture itself. Looks like Chika caught Riko at a bad time.

Well, as we got quality stuff from it, its cool.
Old 2016-09-11, 13:24   Link #52
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
I keep wondering why Ruby would flip out and have one of her shyness attacks when talking to Riko over the phone.

Then I remembered that Riko is the scariest member when upset. And she did sound kind of annoyed with Yoshiko's antics passing it over to Ruby.
Old 2016-09-11, 13:48   Link #53
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
I keep wondering why Ruby would flip out and have one of her shyness attacks when talking to Riko over the phone.

Then I remembered that Riko is the scariest member when upset. And she did sound kind of annoyed with Yoshiko's antics passing it over to Ruby.
I took it as Ruby not being good with getting put in the spotlight all of a sudden. Lives requiere practice and preparations, so she's fine with those.
Old 2016-09-11, 20:55   Link #54
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

The second year drama got resolved this episode. There is no way that it will get continued.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 21:11   Link #55
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
The second year drama got resolved this episode. There is no way that it will get continued.
I disagree, as do quite a few others. Of course, I'm not saying that its impossible to interpret the 2nd year drama as resolved.

But like people have said, its entirely likely that Chika thought You's issues were limited to their current performance only, and that its entirely possible this will occur again in the future after Riko returns. It is stopgapped for now at the very least.
Old 2016-09-11, 21:54   Link #56
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

There is not really much to base this on, is there. Thanks to Mari and Riko, You is now "over it". Riko pretty much knows what's going on in You, they bonded nicely and Riko will take care of both Chika and You in that regard when she returns. And we have seen that Chika isn't as clueless as she seems. Also story telling reasons as this arc has come to an end with its conclusion this episode. We spent 11/13 episodes with various drama between members and with only two episodes to go it's high-time that they're actually working for Love Live as a group.

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2016-09-12 at 06:18. Reason: numbers
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 23:10   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
We spent 9/13 episodes with various drama between members and with only four episodes to go it's high-time that they're actually working for Love Live as a group.
There's only 2 episodes left, at least in this season of Sunshine. With this in mind, my greatest concern for this show is that they decide to have Aqours pretty much rush-win Love Live in only 2 episodes. So I'm putting this out there now - I would almost certainly find that very cheap. So I hope that any complete Love Live win for Aqours is reserved for Season 2 and/or a movie, should either happen.

Given how character drama has been a much bigger focus in Aqours than practicing and live preparation have, and given how Aqours finished "0" a mere 3 episodes ago, the thought of Aqours winning it all in Season 1 now seems a little ridiculous to me.

So, what will be the final note of Sunshine (Season 1)? That's open to speculation, in my view.
Old 2016-09-11, 23:33   Link #58
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So, what will be the final note of Sunshine (Season 1)? That's open to speculation, in my view.
It's gonna be silly if they won Love Live this season. I bet good money there will be season 2 and maybe a season 3/movie with the current pacing. If they will win anything it will just be the regional preliminaries this season.
Old 2016-09-11, 23:38   Link #59
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

TripleR, I don't think you have to worry about Aqours winning LL in 2 episodes.
The main goal is to pass the preliminaries. One step at a time remember?
We still haven't seen or met the Top 2 competitors on that Top 30 list yet.
I hope they're 9 member groups so there might be a possibility of a sub-unit battle.
When I think about it. I really want that to happen. lol
Make it happen, Sunrise!!!
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 00:52   Link #60
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
TripleR, I don't think you have to worry about Aqours winning LL in 2 episodes.
The main goal is to pass the preliminaries. One step at a time remember?
We still haven't seen or met the Top 2 competitors on that Top 30 list yet.
I hope they're 9 member groups so there might be a possibility of a sub-unit battle.
When I think about it. I really want that to happen. lol
Make it happen, Sunrise!!!
I've said this before, but acknowledging sub-units is my crazy dream for LL, so I support this, however, handling so many characters would be quite the task, and we got some very nice relationships even with the same years sticking mostly together, so I can't complain as much.

And yes, this is totally not over. I mean, we're almost done and the girls are, in their own words, taking the first step. There's plenty of story to go through.