5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 17.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 6.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-14, 19:01   Link #41
Thess

I think all the romance is so badly written that the show is better without it. Except for the Arad/Kaname/Messer triangle. Oh and Bogue's crush on Reina is hilarious.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 19:05   Link #42
Kazu-kun

Meh, the only part of the episode worth watching was the Mikumo rescue mission. Why are they wasting time when they're so close to the end?
Old 2016-08-14, 19:24   Link #43
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
She's obviously qualified to tell these things to Hayate and Freyja because she admires them. All she did was remind them who they were. But the problem was that this should have been done after she resolved her issues.
This is a big reason why I believe her feelings for Hayate are superficial like others said about Ranka during Frontier's airing. Because literally, she admires him and mistakes her feelings of admiration for "love" and it brings her character down. Meanwhile, Freyja has legitimate reason to love Hayate for all he's done for her (especially giving her the best birthday present ever) and for who he is as a person (ambitious, carefree, etc.) because she likes him as he is. Notice how she says in this episode that she loves singing as much as she loves him. Mirage, however, is coming out of left field (because she has no connection or ties to him, really; and knows even less about him than he does her on personality).
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 19:36   Link #44
Thess

I don't think anyone can argue that Mirage's entire character is awfully handled, not just her romantic feelings (I'll say that's the lesser of her issues).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-08-14, 19:47   Link #45
CriiGV
Junbi wa inka ne?

I feel like Second Son-kun would've made a better addition to the love triangle. Bring him back. I miss him, and he was only in like 5 pages of the first Freyja Manga chapter.
CriiGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 20:02   Link #46
Mistyclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriiGV View Post
I feel like Second Son-kun would've made a better addition to the love triangle. Bring him back. I miss him, and he was only in like 5 pages of the first Freyja Manga chapter.
Is this Second Son-kun her fiancé???
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 20:04   Link #47
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyclear View Post
Is this Second Son-kun her fiancé???
Yes, and her childhood friend. I actually preferred Freyja with him than with Hayate, but I just don't like Freyja/Hayate romance.

Old 2016-08-14, 20:08   Link #48
Mistyclear

Quote:
Yes, and her childhood friend. I actually preferred Freyja with him than with Hayate, but I just don't like Freyja/Hayate romance.
I thought you were against romance in general for Delta .
Also does the former fiancé have a name??
Old 2016-08-14, 20:39   Link #49
CriiGV
Junbi wa inka ne?

Quote:
I don't think so, he was just referred to as second son-kun. I thought he was really nice though. He actually loved Freyja and wanted to marry her but he helped her escape so she could make her dreams to sing come true.

It's fine though, I'll make due with HayaFre. After this episode I'm not really sure about Mirage's participation in this triangle anymore. Seems to me like she's only a plot device to actually make Hayate/Freyja come true. First she makes Hayate awake to the fact that he might like Freyja and now she conveniently pushes them together when they're being idiots about trying to do what they think is best for the other. To top it off she goes all motherly on us "I'll protect you both", girl is sabotaging herself.

Anyway, I don't mind. I think she'd be better off if she'd just separate herself from the triangle. IMO, Hayate is actually a handicap for her development, he only stumps her growth. She'd be better off moving on and assuming her role as a pilot with newfound confidence.
CriiGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 20:56   Link #50
Mistyclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriiGV View Post
I don't think so, he was just referred to as second son-kun. I thought he was really nice though. He actually loved Freyja and wanted to marry her but he helped her escape so she could make her dreams to sing come true.

It's fine though, I'll make due with HayaFre. After this episode I'm not really sure about Mirage's participation in this triangle anymore. Seems to me like she's only a plot device to actually make Hayate/Freyja come true. First she makes Hayate awake to the fact that he might like Freyja and now she conveniently pushes them together when they're being idiots about trying to do what they think is best for the other. To top it off she goes all motherly on us "I'll protect you both", girl is sabotaging herself.

Anyway, I don't mind. I think she'd be better off if she'd just separate herself from the triangle. IMO, Hayate is actually a handicap for her development, he only stumps her growth. She'd be better off moving on and assuming her role as a pilot with newfound confidence.
I'm 100% behind you on the fact that Mirage needs to get away from any romance with Hayate.
Old 2016-08-14, 22:18   Link #51
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
This is a big reason why I believe her feelings for Hayate are superficial like others said about Ranka during Frontier's airing. Because literally, she admires him and mistakes her feelings of admiration for "love" and it brings her character down. Meanwhile, Freyja has legitimate reason to love Hayate for all he's done for her (especially giving her the best birthday present ever) and for who he is as a person (ambitious, carefree, etc.) because she likes him as he is. Notice how she says in this episode that she loves singing as much as she loves him.
It's only one sided to both at the moment because Hayate currently does not tend in a romantic way towards both. He is still dense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
Mirage, however, is coming out of left field (because she has no connection or ties to him, really; and knows even less about him than he does her on personality).
No ties? Mirage was Hayates instructor. Mirage taught him how to fly with a military plane. Hayate saved her butt against the Aerial Knight. Mirage saved his butt when the ruin on Ragna was nuked and his plane was caught in the explosion. Mirage saved Freyja after the hand of his plane got destroyed. Hayate and Mirage repaired the broken electricity cable while Freyja was focussed on singing with Walküre. They even went on a shopping tour to find a present for Freyja. If there is something that connects Mirage and Hayate then it is their path both becoming pilots and their love for flying. And compared to Freyja Mirage knows how it feels to be burdened by their (grand)parents reputation. They even talked about that Hayate is not like his father. This said. They have connection, but it gets burried by the positive action scenes where Hayate gets pimped by Freyjas song. Before you write something about Freyjas birthday episode. This was nice on both ways. It shows that Freyja fell in love with Hayate and on the other side you see the same way but Mirage is suffering because she does not understand her own feelings. Wow triangle connection.

I guess it's almost time that we get to know to whom Hayate really tends to. I am waiting for the subs but it seems that some secrets will hopefully get revealed. looking forward to episode 21.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2016-08-14 at 22:28.
Father Hentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 22:46   Link #52
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
No ties?
Again, you're misunderstanding.
By "ties," I'm talking about any history which ties in with hers. For instance, his father ties in with Freyja. And also "ties" in personality, of which he has no chemistry with her to the point their interactions are beyond boring. Unlike Freyja, Mirage has to bring up topics or force information about his life prior and/or his parents out of Hayate. Nothing is really pulling him to her and vise versa other than she was his instructor and is his comrade on the battlefield. His relationship with Freyja goes deeper (more so because of their synchronization now) and because of his father, he has a "tie" into her life even more so.

And again, countless arguments could be made at how much Hayate goes into the abyss for Freyja here. A huge birthday present which is a little too romantic and agreeing to test if he'll go Var because of her song to prove it's not her (especially since if it is he'll be forced to leave flying because no one wants him to end up like Messar). Believe me, we know who he so-called "likes", it's whether he'll admit it or not by the next couple of episodes.

Right now, he's conflicted because Freyja will not sing for him like she did before and Mirage is now professing love outright in front of both of them. Things are coming full circle on the love triangle; if I could still even call it that. He has done nothing substantial for Mirage...
Old 2016-08-14, 23:10   Link #53
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misslaly View Post
I think the last thing I would call Freyja and Hayate will be selfish, especially Freyja after everything she did.
What has she done exactly that makes her any better than anyone else? People here have been railing on how Mirage is Hayate focused but asides from the one episode where Freyja decided to sing for the good of people, when has she actually followed through on that? That is, outside of her preexisting Walkure duties I mean, because as a Walkure Freyja's kind of terrible at her job.

Since then every song was and has been directed to Hayate. Heck, even the plot (Or rather Mikumo) acknowledges that she sings her songs for Hayate and has ultimately been changed by it.

What's even worse is that her feelings about her countrymen (Windermereans) aren't even all that clear. It's just thrown in as exposition as her comrades assume she's putting up a strong face. She never questions anything, she just assumes her friends of the current are right. Heck in this episode she doesn't even think about Mikumo who was suppose to be her greatest idol and comrade- who shields her from BLASTS WITH HER OWN BODY.

In Ranka's case she was sort of left to figure things out on her own and was babied by everyone she meets. As much as I hate it, i can understand why she bumped stupidly everywhere but at least she had some give a damn about what's going on around her. Characters in this show have made an active effort to get Freyja to think about things and she never seems to amount to anything of substance from it, and the fact is ignored because she has a tendency to just stumble into plot devices (Oh look an apple). Hell when she could have had a proper understanding moment with Qasim her answer to the entire situation is basically I want to sing and where I am in life lets me do that.

It frustrates me a lot.

Quote:
The last thing I would say is that Mirage is too good for Hayate and Freyja or that she can do better. Look at her vowing herself she'll protect them. Where was she two episodes ago when they actually needed her protection? This is why I can't take her or her scenes seriously. Because, unless is convenient, she vanishes like a ninja or simply freezes to gawk at the battlefield. It's not her fault, but her character is really, really awfully written (admittedly, Chuck and Arad have the same problem, but at least they aren't forced on us to continue a badly written triangle).
Because we can just ignore the fact she saves Hayate's ass on a regular basis, and has gone out to save Freyja (once though I guess technically twice since the first time she thought Hayate was up to no good in ep 1) as well. If anyone gets to vow protection for those two it would bloody be her seeing as she's already stuck doing it anyway =_=

Two episodes ago Freyja was over pumping Hayate so hard there was no way Mirage could have possibly kept up. It was already established before that she wouldn't have caught up to Keith/Messer during their regular dogfights, at boosted it would have been far worse. If the argument then is that Hayate should have been promoted instead then well sure, try to argue that the total reckless newbie being pumped with special powers would be a great leader. Then again I guess it makes as much sense as putting the inconsistent, stumbling newbie songstress as your girl group center. This show has bad writing all around and I don't appreciate that Mirage's constantly getting the brunt of the complaints.

Also, so far Hayate has frequently shoved himself in such pinches and come out alive that I really doubt anyone could have expected him to fall completely- or even that Freyja's music would have caused such a reaction in the first place. Oh, and Mikumo exploded a shrine. So a lot of shit happened, but I'm sure Mirage sucks because she didn't get out of her plane singing Seikan Hikou or GAR'd it up guns ablazing.
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 23:50   Link #54
Thess

Quote:
I'm not against romance in Delta, only the main triangle. I simply dislike Freyja/Hayate as romantic because their platonic friendship was fun and awesome and I knew the romance stuff will ruin it. And Mirage is a horribly written character overall, so her romantic side is just as bland and boring.

Old 2016-08-14, 23:51   Link #55
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
What has she done exactly that makes her any better than anyone else?
Right now, she's logically approaching things cautiously. The problem is, there is no proof their songs do not spread Var. After all, Berger had a legitimate piece of evidence to imply their songs do by showcasing Freyja singing and Hayate going Var because of it. Now, Freyja is concerned because her song, in general, caused him to go haywire. In other words, if Freyja singing at a second ruin could once more enslave all the people like it did in episode 18, this could prove fatal not only for Hayate but also everyone on the planet.

In other words, right now, she's concerned about Hayate directly because he's a member of the Delta squad (which means he has no choice but to fly) and because she cares about him personally. The biggest issue she faces is if she discovers her songs do cause him (and others) to go Var, what will she do then? After all, singing is all she has for communication for this war right now. And, if her songs do this, and Arad believes she'll still be of use, Hayate will need to quit flying so he doesn't end up like Messar. It's a no win situation, really.

As for singing at Hayate, I don't believe you're right. She does, in episode 17, sing at him; however, in episode 18, she's more or less trying to help how she can prior to becoming overwhelmed by the ruins. Episode 13 is a good example of Freyja wishing to help by reaching him with her song when he's down. Until his birthday present in episode 16, Freyja never once did sing directly for or at Hayate.

Quote:
This show has bad writing all around and I don't appreciate that Mirage's constantly getting the brunt of the complaints.
We're not blind to the show's faults; it's easier to pinpoint Mirage because hers is so obvious.

And, also, for this factor, I'd like to add in -- because no one noticed -- why is no one in the cast telling Hayate about Berger insisting music is a weapon an episode prior so Hayate will maybe come to understand why Freyja is 100% concerned about this "experiment"?
Old 2016-08-14, 23:54   Link #56
Dash_Hunter

After the "Shit on Mirage" party in the last few posts I was ready to post something but ippus has done a much better job with that post than I would have.
Old 2016-08-14, 23:56   Link #57
darkplatform

Quote:
I agree with most of what you say ippus just like many others probably, but to be honest in my case I have no mood or strength to be discussing Delta, might sound harsh but feels like a waste of potential barely "worthy" of the name Macross particularly in the people and relationship aspect. There is no such thing as natural flow here ("3 triangles" yeah, magnificent idea )

Dogfight is lacking for obvious reasons, magic asspulls piling up and no such thing as training to get better, Brera being a cyborg was more believable for him to be the top fighter; and the Music just 'fine'. Maybe the music is better than average but with the other core points failing, the entertainment from the series as a whole just flies away.

Honestly it's a little hard to believe the people responsible for Delta's characterization gave us something like Sheryl Nome (to name a recent one, there are plenty of great things in the history of Macross). And yes, Mirage deserves more than what she has been given(and probably what she'll receive at the end as well)
darkplatform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 00:09   Link #58
Thess

Quote:
Because we can just ignore the fact she saves Hayate's ass on a regular basis, and has gone out to save Freyja (once though I guess technically twice since the first time she thought Hayate was up to no good in ep 1) as well. If anyone gets to vow protection for those two it would bloody be her seeing as she's already stuck doing it anyway =_=
Yeah, she saved his life... just once since he enlisted (twice in 20 episodes if you count episode 1, wow!)? That's regular basis to you? It was rare occurrence enough to be even made a big deal about it. Are you even watching this show or did you tune in a special Mirage cutscenes where she's actually relevant and amazingly developed heroine? I'll want to watch that show, if you share it. She disappears from the battlefield on regular basis along with Arad or Chuck, unless she has to give her obligatory DELTA FIVE/FOUR and swoon at Messer's/Hayate's amazing skills.

She disappeared completely in the episode the problem began for Freyja and Hayate. KANAME saved Freyja and Hayate crashed his VF. Where was she? Don't tell me she was fighting the Drakens, because all the Aerial Knights except Keith were frozen. I guess she, Arad and Chuck decided to get a bathroom break, because they poofed.

Quote:
Two episodes ago Freyja was over pumping Hayate so hard there was no way Mirage could have possibly kept up. It was already established before that she wouldn't have caught up to Keith/Messer during their regular dogfights, at boosted it would have been far worse. If the argument then is that Hayate should have been promoted instead then well sure, try to argue that the total reckless newbie being pumped with special powers would be a great leader. Then again I guess it makes as much sense as putting the inconsistent, stumbling newbie songstress as your girl group center. This show has bad writing all around and I don't appreciate that Mirage's constantly getting the brunt of the complaints.
Eh, no. The center was Mikumo, and Kaname was the leader. Freyja was never the center, where did you get this idea? And she was pushed and pressured to get better by Mikumo for episodes until she delivered.

Sounds to me you're just excusing the awful way she's been written with headcanon. Hayate stopped and he fell. There's been zero reaction of Mirage (or anyone) who were supposedly flying in the area (and the Aerial knights aside of Keith were all paralyzed). Because Delta Squad is really useless outside of Hayate (and Messer, but he died). And the writers put zero effort on them. Mirage is only important when they try to do a triangle scene or subplot; when they don't, she vanishes as Chuck does. She's used as triangle seat warmer and filler, despite being a supposed main character next to Hayate and Freyja who actually get to do things and have agency outside the triangle. Of course she gets complains because she feels like a supporting character advertised as main.

It doesn't mean Arad and Chuck vanishing is good, but they aren't shoved as triangle plot device or falsely advertized which makes their disappearance act more bearable. Kaname does feel like a leader, Arad doesn't. Mirage doesn't either. Messer did feel like a leader. I miss Messer.

Quote:
Also, so far Hayate has frequently shoved himself in such pinches and come out alive that I really doubt anyone could have expected him to fall completely- or even that Freyja's music would have caused such a reaction in the first place. Oh, and Mikumo exploded a shrine. So a lot of shit happened, but I'm sure Mirage sucks because she didn't get out of her plane singing Seikan Hikou or GAR'd it up guns ablazing.
Mikumo did that a lot later. Again, you're making excuses for a character who has not done anything since episode 13 trying to appear all mature and useful when the protagonists are dealing with actual problems (on top of other problems they had to face last episode) while she still hasn't even resolved her minor insecurity issues. Because she's a plot device.

EDIT: By the way, in case you missed it:

Quote:
I don't have a problem with her resolution and intervention, my problem is that it was timed for their convenience and looked tacked on her underdeveloped character. Her role seems to be fairly clear since episode 1, IMO. It wasn't becoming Hayate's dancing partner or an ace (unfortunately because this is what I wanted for her), but actually embracing a 'vanguard/protector' role of those two while they do their thing (see ep 13 and 1). My problem is that she didn't actually do anything in episode 18 to actually make me believe she can do it, sure, she could if the writers remember but leaves no credence to her character in the circumstances.

She's obviously qualified to tell these things to Hayate and Freyja because she admires them. All she did was remind them who they were. But the problem was that this should have been done after she resolved her issues.
The idea was okay with me. In fact, when episode 13 aired, I was sure that would be her role: watch their backs while they save the day, but the romantic plot tumor derailed her in general (I called her a vanguard even). What I complain about Mirage is the execution of this along with the timing. She didn't come up with this after resolving part of her storyarc and issues, an episode or two after she rescued Hayate or Freyja. Her timing was after wasting time of making her do nothing except brood and sulk worriedly or in jealousy, and do nothing in the episode where the drama escalated. Not even a single reaction of "oh no, i couldn't arrive on time to break Hayate's fall". It's not organic or well written and makes her look like a glorified plot device which can be written at convenience to move the story along because Hayate and Freyja need to sync.

It's not attacking her character here because it's potentially going back in track to my vague optimistic view of what could she do in episode 13, but the way she's written. I had zero issues with Mirage becoming their protector in episode 13, I have an issue they want to rewind and pretend we didn't have 7 episodes of nothing at all.

Also is pretty hilarious you accuse Freyja of being Hayate-centric when all of Mirage's scenes center around Hayate and she has barely any interaction with other people. Look, Hayate and Freyja were flying and singing for the sake of everyone, also for each others. Freyja is understandly concerned that her voice might be spreading var, be a weapon (when she wants her song to bring peace and happiness) and is hurting her best friend. Of course that she won't be looking forward singing when her reason to sing was completely shred by Berger an episode ago. It'll be out of character. To me, by the way, Hayate is far more Freyja-centric than Freyja is Hayate-centric (or even Mirage is with Hayate, because the reason why this happens is because the writers don't bother with her do anything except orbit around the triangle eh). Freyja has an actual life outside of him, her motivation and love for song was inspired by other people, she awoke her true power to save cat daddy's life. Hayate's reason to live, fly and enjoy life was brought by Freyja. You don't need the novel to spell this aloud to you (but it is a confirmation). I don't feel that Hayate is as crucial to Freyja as Freyja has been for Hayate. She has a lot of things on her head and dumped in her in the span of three episodes. I'm just surprised she didn't break down completely.

I don't think one lecture from Mirage will just solve this either. Or hope it doesn't. Because I want her to find her own answer to "Music is..." because "genki" was something she added on a rush during her intro concert.

Last edited by Thess; 2016-08-15 at 00:50.
Old 2016-08-15, 07:42   Link #59
Father Hentai

Quote:
Yeah, she saved his life... just once since he enlisted (twice in 20 episodes if you count episode 1, wow!)? That's regular basis to you? It was rare occurrence enough to be even made a big deal about it. Are you even watching this show or did you tune in a special Mirage cutscenes where she's actually relevant and amazingly developed heroine? I'll want to watch that show, if you share it. She disappears from the battlefield on regular basis along with Arad or Chuck, unless she has to give her obligatory DELTA FIVE/FOUR and swoon at Messer's/Hayate's amazing skills.
I would count at least 4 times where she saved him.
That's in episode 3, 5 (at least she tried), 13 and 20.

It's more than comradism because they hang along after duty and they share private time. That's why they are not only "ordered comrades"but also friends. The problem is that she gets burried under the screentime because of the pilot/singer duo. There is currently not much left and maybe this gets screentime with the next episodes.
Old 2016-08-15, 08:15   Link #60
HirouKeimou

I completely agree with your post, Thess.

Of course, I'd love for a resolution to the love triangle now so we can focus on more important things. For instance, how this all will be resolved peacefully and/or at all in the next 6 episodes? Plus, I miss Ragna.

You know, magnuskn said something interesting in a prior post about "world building", and in the case of this episode, I really feel it is small. For instance, the restaurant is closed and no one is inside besides Freyja? And Mirage arriving to the restaurant is a little too convenient for me. Right now, I question if Chuck is doing his job or helping his family because he's gone from his home a lot, and he has no development where his family is concerned since episode 16. This world really does feel as small as magnuskn said it is. This is pretty depressing because it's one thing I could say Macross always had down (even with Zero and Plus).