AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 2 15.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 53.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 15.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 7.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-24, 04:19   Link #41
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
"They gotta be the very best idols there ever was". "Better" than what? Muse. "Best" compared to what? Mostly Muse a few comparing to other Aqua girls. I haven't seen a single comment that says just as good as Muse or even plain "good", its always better or best. Now you could say there are some that might be comparing to a standard, but the context has Muse as the standard.
Really? I read the stuff on the reddit forums and it's not any different than what we original had in the discussions before it started to derail. The recent episode 4 discussion had people complaining (well not complaining, criticizing) about the callbacks as far as I can tell, so I don't see this "BEST IDORU IN ZE WORLDO!" comments. If at all, it's proven that we aren't talking shit because of similarities, but just getting tired of people that like to go on and on that Sunshine is "ripping off" the OG. I like to think it's a great "homage" to the original, but it will depend on the amount of cynicism you bring to the show and how much is this "homage" a copy-paste of S1 and S2 of the OG.

Anyway, I think I'll stop before it derails any further.
Old 2016-07-24, 04:21   Link #42
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Because people are being offended when the shows similarities are being mentioned. I have no idea myself because nobody said OG was better than Sunshine, just stating similarities.
I think you're taking it too far. There are people who use the said similarities to pile shit on Aqours. Like, just take a look at the first page of Sunshine vs Original thread.

I also don't see anything implicating what you're saying in judasmartel's post. It's more of a dig at those who just blindly take all the similarities and parallels to the original and scream: "It's a rip-off! There's nothing original in Sunshine! You're being played by a complete scam!"
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 04:22   Link #43
Kakurin
大佐

Sunrise really loves analogies / comparisons, right? Didn't notice it last episode, but Chika's training shirt is a blatant copy of Honoka's, right down to the "Chi" (instead of the "Ho") on the front side.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

As for the speculation regarding the Third Years, repeating here what I thought after episode 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Frankly, the impression I got is (since she apparently knows a good deal about Love Live and school idols) that she once was quite interested in them or even tried to become one herself but got shot down by outside circumstances and thus is bitter towards the idea of school idols in that environment.
Old 2016-07-24, 04:28   Link #44
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
-snip-
Kurosawa family honor?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 04:32   Link #45
Kakurin
大佐

Oh right, don't know if this was mentioned before, regarding the time Sunshine is set in:

Images

The magazine Hanamaru has is a five-year Love Live anniversary issue. So everybody we know from the original series at Otonokizaka - including Arisa and Yukiho - have already graduated.
Old 2016-07-24, 04:43   Link #46
Nork22

Quote:
Sunrise really loves analogies / comparisons, right? Didn't notice it last episode, but Chika's training shirt is a blatant copy of Honoka's, right down to the "Chi" (instead of the "Ho") on the front side.
Indeed it is. Bring on the 千-shirts! One thing I can't shake the feeling with Ruby's training clothes is how it reminds me of Nico's.
Old 2016-07-24, 04:47   Link #47
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
One thing I can't shake the feeling with Ruby's training clothes is how it reminds me of Nico's.
I indeed got the same impression. It's the pink colour, as well as the skirt plus the overknee socks combination.

Images
Old 2016-07-24, 07:12   Link #48
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Oh right, don't know if this was mentioned before, regarding the time Sunshine is set in:

Images

The magazine Hanamaru has is a five-year Love Live anniversary issue. So everybody we know from the original series at Otonokizaka - including Arisa and Yukiho - have already graduated.
5 year+ time skip... not sure how I feel about that.

I guess it solves the issue with Riko being a transfer student from Otonokizaka who didn't know about μ's before meeting Chika.

OTOH, it's now a little strange that the only idols that the Aqours girls have talked about are μ's and A-RISE. There haven't been any notable Love Live winners in the past 5 years that managed to create their own big fandom?

In any event, good pick-up Kakurin-san!
Old 2016-07-24, 07:25   Link #49
Pen3

Makes me wonder about Midnight Cats since they were on magazine cover. The magazine was also in the store, it wasn't an old issue, so iam guessing they continued to be idols after high school.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 07:39   Link #50
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
OTOH, it's now a little strange that the only idols that the Aqours girls have talked about are μ's and A-RISE. There haven't been any notable Love Live winners in the past 5 years that managed to create their own big fandom?
It's strange but I always assumed that the show simply wants to narrow down its focus on as few groups as possible to keep everything substantial. There must have been other LL winners the past 5 years but I assume their impact wasn't as great as Muse. The following comparison may not be very good, but take Germany winning the world cup for example. They absolutely trashed Brasil and people will remember Germany as the WC winner even if they won't win it again the next few times.

Last edited by Seihai; 2016-07-24 at 07:44. Reason: typo
Seihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 07:55   Link #51
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
It's strange but I always assumed that the show simply wants to narrow down its focus on as few groups as possible to keep everything substantial. There must have been other LL winners the past 5 years but I assume their impact wasn't as great as Muse. The following comparison may not be very good, but take Germany winning the world cup for example. They absolutely trashed Brasil and people will remember Germany as the WC winner even if they won't win it again the next few times.
Good points, except that the WC is a once-in-every-four-years event.

I also suspect there have been controversies surrounding LL not so soon after Muse won, probably degenerating into something like the Dark Side of the idol industry, like what the RL idol industry has been facing these days. You know the drill, toxic fans, toxic production environments, exploitation of teenage girls, suspected Yakuza involvement, and God knows what else. Hence the succeeding winners not having the same impact as Muse had.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 07:57   Link #52
Cerilla

A good episode. I like how tasteful the reference this time around (if you ignore the flashback with Dia and Ruby). Maru is such a sweetheart. I can't decide who is my favorite now between You and Maru

Quote:

Images

Thanks! it is really bugging me for a while. If Sunshine is in 2016, that mean the OG is in 2011 when μ's started. That is kind of cute.

Quote:
I guess it solves the issue with Riko being a transfer student from Otonokizaka who didn't know about μ's before meeting Chika.
I find it weird that Otonokizaka doesn't capitalize μ's, their school is on brink of collapse five years ago. How could Riko haven't heard about it, but maybe that's just me.
Old 2016-07-24, 08:01   Link #53
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Otherwise, well, Otonokizaka's School Idol Club might have been the defending champions of LL for the last 5 years or so.
Probably not, otherwise it would not be plausible for Riko to have no idea about school idols.

Quote:
I also suspect there have been controversies surrounding LL not so soon after Muse won, probably degenerating into something like the Dark Side of Idol Groups the RL industry is facing these days. Hence the succeeding winners not having the same impact as Muse had.
Doubt Sunrise goes there. If I had to come up with some form of explanation, it would be:

1) for A-RISE because they were the pioneers of the whole School Idol thing and they won the very first Love Live

2) for Muse because a) they beat A-RISE and b) they left some lasting impression with the style of their success and the publicity leading up to the Dome performance.
Old 2016-07-24, 08:18   Link #54
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerilla View Post
I find it weird that Otonokizaka doesn't capitalize μ's, their school is on brink of collapse five years ago. How could Riko haven't heard about it, but maybe that's just me.
They probably did capitalize on μ's for a few years. But I can understand μ's fame at Otonokizaka fading a good amount after Yukiho/Arisa graduate. Students with personal connections to μ's would be very limited after Yukiho/Arisa graduate. If Riko is in her 1st year at Otonokizaka the year after Yukiho/Arisa graduated, and Riko just never became interested in school idols, I can buy the idea that she wasn't aware of μ's. μ's fame at Otonokizaka could live on for decades... for those students who are heavily into school idols. But for Akane Average? Not so much.

It's like a high school baseball team that won it big, and brought glory to their school, a few years before you start attending that school. If you're really into baseball and consider joining this high school's baseball team? Yeah, you're going to find out about that past team one way or another. Otherwise, it's the sort of thing that can easily be missed by the average student.
Old 2016-07-24, 08:21   Link #55
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Good points, except that the WC is a once-in-every-four-years event.
Yeah, I'm aware, but my point still stands I guess. In fact if the event is every year it's probably even harder to make an impression that beats Muse's one which most likely went into history.

Quote:
Dark Side of the idol industry
Nopenopenope.jpg This franchise is literally shining with happiness, hope, and magical miracles that make rain go away when orange haired girls yell at the sky.

Last edited by Seihai; 2016-07-24 at 08:24. Reason: wording etc
Seihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 08:43   Link #56
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Maybe those school idol groups from the SIF game have won it somehow. It's speculation on my part.

Also to add it up, I still wonder if the organizers of the Love Live! School Idol Competition has two tournaments for a single academic year?
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 09:23   Link #57
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm getting a bit bored because so far, this has been little more than a rehash of the first season of Love Live. Thye're sticking too closely to the formula. They're facing the same hurdles and the girl's personalities are not very different from their µ's counterparts.

I'm fairly hopeful the upcoming Yohane episode is going to change things up a bit. She's a kind of character we haven't seen in Love Live before. Hopefully they won't tone down her chunniness so they can turn her into Nico 2.0.
Old 2016-07-24, 09:56   Link #58
Triple_R
*Author

I just made a photoshop to celebrate Hanamaru/Ruby's big episode. It's based on my somewhat unusual taste in puns.

Anyway... Hanamaru has a message for Dia :

Spoiler for Kneel Before Me, Sister of Ruby:
Old 2016-07-24, 10:54   Link #59
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
Yeah, I'm aware, but my point still stands I guess. In fact if the event is every year it's probably even harder to make an impression that beats Muse's one which most likely went into history.

Nopenopenope.jpg This franchise is literally shining with happiness, hope, and magical miracles that make rain go away when orange haired girls yell at the sky.
Its funny people mention the dark side of the idol industry when these girls technically aren't even real idols, everything from their practice to their songs is handled by them alone.

They don't even have anything remotely close to a talent agency managing them
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 23:27   Link #60
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ahem ... please ... we have a thread in this subforum where comparisons can be discussed ... lets keep discussions related to that over there and focus more on the episode itself in this thread, okay?

Thanks.