AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-05-15, 16:49   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I did not see that twist coming. I didn't even realize it was Mu until Nir said her name, I thought it was Jimi.
Old 2020-05-15, 19:33   Link #42
Frontier

Wow, Jimi's Mecha was pretty cool looking....before it got re-appropriated for evil Mu .

Londinium is not a happy place. It felt like they were going for a "London during the Blitz" vibe .

Nir is still getting mistaken for a boy, getting the "Aneki" treatment instead of the "Ane-San" treatment. She didn't even bother to correct them, she just pointed out she's obviously younger then they are .

Poor Richie striking out with a cute blonde. He died a virgin .

Why would they attack their own city? What was the point of that? Is the destruction supposed to draw more Earless to form the Queen to get annihilated? Will we not find out until the next episode ?

So all it takes to become a Player is...guts, basically? Or the will to fight .

Thank goodness we didn't get to see Mu vaporize the two of them. That would've been too much to stomach .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I did not see that twist coming. I didn't even realize it was Mu until Nir said her name, I thought it was Jimi.
The figure even from a distance looked more feminine to me, but I thought it was another Mu and not our Mu until we got the preview showing that Mu getting corrupted happened before the events of this episode .
Old 2020-05-16, 08:14   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nir doesn't exactly discourage speculation by referring to herself as "Boku", though more girls are doing that these days.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-16, 17:00   Link #44
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Next week?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quadrophenia may be their best album after "Who's Next." It also has 5:15.

YouTube
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-16, 19:10   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm partial to Tommy after Who's Next, but that choice is a matter of personal preference.

BTW, the OP for this show really is fantastic. I wish the actual show looked that good.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 17:01   Link #46
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So rather than Earless being failed Players, Players are actually successful Earless? Where does the sound sickness fit in all this? I'm confused.
Old 2020-05-22, 17:52   Link #47
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm partial to Tommy after Who's Next, but that choice is a matter of personal preference.
I still have my original copy of Tommy on LP from 1969. Surprised it still plays; my girlfriend at the time and I wore it out over that summer. Went to Woodstock together, too, where they played it live.

Still, I always found the "pinball wizard" business a bit silly. I think Quadrophenia has a more realistic story and, as I said, some great tracks.
Old 2020-05-22, 22:35   Link #48
Frontier

And now we see how our protagonists went from the next step of their journey to Mu going crazy and evil .

That looked like a female Earless Jimi was embracing in the portal. Was that supposed to be Mu or some kind of Earless lover he had ?

Mu did look stunning in that dress .

Look at Mu and Echo indirectly talking about their feelings for each other through the script...although I think only Echo realized it ;.

Oh hey, it's Marshall! At least he's not here to cheat Echo again. And he actually had some wise words to say .

Compared to when we saw her practicing, Mu really improved her performance by the final show .

So...Jimi/Mu are Earless posing as Player's? Or the Players are all Earless in some form? This mystery is getting more and more mysterious .

I saw the Noise Sisters in the audience...are they part of this ?

Looks like the next episode is going to be Mu vs Nir .
Old 2020-05-23, 06:37   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Maybe it's only the Players with white hair that are Earless. So Jimi, Mu, and the Noise sisters.
Old 2020-05-29, 16:58   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What is even the villain's goal? All I get is that he's nuts.

With only three episodes left, there's no salvaging this garbage.
Old 2020-05-29, 20:35   Link #51
Frontier

So Jimi went off the plan because he wanted to find a new way for humanity the Earless to co-exist, so he helped the Earless ?

Does nobody realize the new Jimi is obviously a girl ?

Did Tommy kill the Noise Sisters or just tell them to walk away? His wording made it sound like they had no involvement in the plan anymore, but did he just let them go ?

I think Tommy became so obsessed with this ideal of uniting the world through destroying the Earless that he's going to do so by erasing everyone's free will through Purple Haze? At least that was my takeaway .

Well, Marshall's kind of just human I guess. He's out for his own skin one way or another but he's not completely unsympathetic. I guess he's tied 2 for 2 of both helping and hindering Echo .

I'm guessing Echo is going to have to get a new Mecha or Player to help him fight Mu and save her .
Old 2020-05-30, 06:51   Link #52
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I'm guessing Echo is going to have to get a new Mecha or Player to help him fight Mu and save her .
Or he could become a Player himself, since we know that's possible.
Old 2020-06-05, 16:00   Link #53
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Wow, I actually liked this episode a lot. I did notice the name on the grave was Janis Stonefree the first time they showed it, but I figured it might have been her grandmother's name. So I realized Janis was Jimi's real younger sister, but not that she was a ghost/memory/whatever. They didn't tell us how she died, but I suppose it's not important. We got some exposition about Earless and Players, but it's all pretty confusing. What I got is that The Origin, which is a record player, basically appeared out of thin air and started turning people into Players as a way to make humans and Earless understand each other but shit went sideways.

The biggest is reveal was that Mu was never Jimi's sister, but the King of the Earless who took on his likeness after grabbing his core (which is kind of a player's soul, I guess). And its name is... Listeners, corny as it is. Listeners makes a way better antagonist that what's his name, in any case.
Old 2020-06-05, 18:16   Link #54
Frontier

Echo finds himself back where he began, doing mundane work to make a living, although this ended up being far more meaningful then his previous job .

Echo meets Reina Ueda...I mean, Jimi's real sister Janis! Fitting to set Echo on the path he needed to go to save Mu. I knew she'd be majorly plot relevant from her scenes in the Opening .

The Earless' rampages or wild outbursts are because they listen to and reflect humanity? That's what the conflict has been about this whole time? And their leader is the titular "Listeners" because they listen to humanity ?

Echo seemingly finds the will to become a Player to save Mu, even if we don't see his new personal Equipment. I guess it's like Janis said, all it takes is for one ordinary person to do something anyone can do to make a big impact .

So Mu is really the "King of the Earless" (not "Queen?") who Jimi apparently injected humanity into to turn them into Mu, I assume to further connect humanity with the Earless. I guess Echo will have to complete Jimi's mission by re-awakening Mu. On the plus side, kind of cool hearing Rie Takahashi play a villain .

Listeners infecting and absorbing Tommy was well deserved .

Looks like all the Players from the past episodes will be coming together to try and take down Listeners, though I'm guessing they'll fail to set the stage for Echo coming in to save the day at the climax
Old 2020-06-09, 17:39   Link #55
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Robert Johnson (on the record label at the opening) singing the Crossroads Blues.

YouTube

Cream did this cover in 1968, thirty years after Johnson's death. Being a white 19-yo kid in 1968, it was my first acquaintance with the song. There were many talented black performers on the radio by then, but they were far removed from Johnson.

YouTube

I have about six feet of 33 1/3 RPM LP vinyl albums. The covers aren't in very good shape because of some flooding when they were in storage in my basement. I have a turntable, too. I never listen to them. Nearly all the popular music I own is available freely at YouTube, and there are many online versions of the classical albums I own. Portability is a big plus for me these days. Being able to carry around my entire collection of music is just astounding, even for someone like me who keeps up with most computing technologies.

The Victrola-styled "Origin"that we see in Listeners is hardly the "Origin" of recorded music. That credit goes to Edison. (Piano rolls were an even earlier, though more limited method of preserving musical performances.)

And, then there's Janis:

YouTube

(The woman in the sunglasses is Cass Stevens, one of The Mamas and the Papas, a popular group at the time with hits like "California Dreaming.")

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2020-06-09 at 17:52.
Old 2020-06-12, 17:02   Link #56
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was about as typical a development as one would have expected. Next week will probably be no different. Only thing I'm curious about is how they'll resolve the Nir plotline, because I doubt she's just going to forgive Mu just like that.
Old 2020-06-12, 19:27   Link #57
Frontier

That obvious episode where all the Players and past supporting characters come together to fight the big villain...and it all brings it back full-circle to Liverchester .

We got to see Nir in a dress for a brief second. That was neat .

Mu is somewhat conscious enough to psychically warn Echo's sister to get out of there .

Wasn't this what the Noise Sisters were after in their harassment of Mu? Seems like it would've been a fitting end for them to get taken out by rampaging Earless because of the released Listeners .

So they take down Jimi's legendary Equipment, but then Listener's re-forms into a true final boss form .

I am still unsure of exactly what Kevin and Bilin's relationship is .

It was pretty obvious the Players weren't going to succeed so Echo could come in and save Mu, but...points for rallying together and for trying, I guess ?
Old 2020-06-19, 17:01   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That went down pretty much exactly as I expected. I mentioned being interested in how they would resolve Nir's plotline, and that, on the other hand, was worse than anything I could have expected. I mean, seriously? What a joke.

And the Noise sisters... what?

Needless to say, this episode didn't change my opinion of the series. Worst show of the season by far. Just plain bad.
Old 2020-06-19, 19:16   Link #59
Frontier

Shows about music and rock sure tend to fall back on people understanding each other and coming together...I guess that just goes back to how central music is to connecting and inspiring people .

So the Earless just wanted humans to try and understand them, and Echo connecting with Mu and treating her as a person even after she became Listeners again was the spark that led to a revolution of human/Earless relation, to the point where Earless now have human bodies now .

A Dai Sato show where the male and female lead are falling and hold onto each other in an intimate moment, leading to a Seventh Swe...I mean, big burst of light? Where have I seen that before ?

Jimi shows up out of seemingly nowhere to pass the torch to another kid? Was that supposed to be Echo as a child? I don't know .

Ritchie and Lyde are alive!? And going to Nir's high school!? What...I can't even...I mean, yeah, we never saw the bodies and I guess we needed to redeem Mu at the last minute, but it felt so tacked on .

Speaking of Nir, I think Hole was the only character still alive who didn't show up in the ending. Guess he's still in jail .

The Noise Sisters...are blocks now. What ?

Well, good for Liverchester that they were able to save their image and their economy through Echo's actions. And there might be a new Echo and Mu growing in the town as we speak. And is that Mu-girl Janis reincarnated ?

Closing out with Rie Takahashi singing the Opening was pretty fitting for what seemed, in some degree, to be a music vehicle for Rie Takahashi. At this point I can't help but think the show would have improved from actually making that more central to the story then what we ended up with .

The show ends with Echo and Mu seemingly back doing what they were doing before, journeying together and Mu fighting other Players (some of which are Earless now?). Echo isn't even a Player anymore, apparently having spent his entire power to save Mu. The only change seems to be Mu has a slightly higher opinion of Echo because he saved her, but Echo doesn't even remember it. I guess that's a fitting enough ending for these two .
Old 2020-06-19, 22:29   Link #60
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, music, sci-fi