AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-06-01, 11:50   Link #41
woah

While I completely understand the desire to have one's preferred pairing materialize, it is difficult to read some of the comments of the yuri-shippers in the anime thread without feeling like they're setting themselves up for disappointment. And for all shippers of atypical pairings in general (who often seem to be largely composed of the same group of people each season), I do wonder if their temporary moment of delusion and certainty is worth the inevitable crash. Yes, kyoani and the light novel itself are certainly yuri-baiting (and so I can understand the suspicion of yuri), but they take it to an absurd level by shoehorning additional improbable meanings into each character's actions--practically redefining their personalities and attitudes at times--and downplay anything that would contradict them (even if it agrees with the novels). And this exacerbated by the echo-chamber.
woah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 13:41   Link #42
novalysis

Then again, Kyoani is infamous for rewriting the plot of it's adaptations ever since they started producing anime from property they either owned or were the sole investors in, to the point they differ very substantially from their LN counterparts. Case in point would be Chuunibyou and Kyoukai no Kanata. And while Kyoani certainly doesn't own the rights to Hibike Euphonium the novel, they are in the dominant position when it comes to the previously little known novel and likely the sole investor in this show.

So, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, considering the substantial changes to each character (which I find plausible, within the internal narrative and logic of the show as it is, even if it contradicts the Novel's characterization); that Kyoani may well choose to go a different route. Because as it stands, Hibike Euphonium has some very serious grounds to cover to convince Anime-only viewers that Shuichi is a viable romantic interest, after what they did in Episode 8.

Infact, I would repeat my comment on the Hibike Euphonium anime thread - if Kyoani wanted to sell us the Shuichi pairing, the easiest way would have been to do their infamous complete rewriting, arc rearranging, earlier introduction of plot points and introduction of major new characters that did not exist in the source material. And consolidate Shuichi's narrative role with that of Reina.

Moreso than most other studios, the source material often proves a very poor guide to Kyoani's actual plot decisions in their adaptations. Because Kyoani takes alot of liberties with their adaptations in recent years. That being said, this time Kyoani isn't the publisher of the source material, so I guess it depends on what kind of agreement they had with Takarajimasha, Hibike Euphonium's publisher. It's just that alot of work has to be put in, to make Shuichi a viable romantic interest, from a very bad position. Can Kyoani pull it off?

That being said, I am quite curious. The anime seems to be well on it's way to another Commercial Success (possibly Chuunibyou tier, but unlikely Free! tier). But how much of this is translating into a sales boost for the original volumes themselves? And will Kyoani benefit from a boost in the novel volume sales? Also, I wonder whether future reprints would be done with covers and illustrations modeled after Kyoani character designs.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 14:50   Link #43
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Then again, Kyoani is infamous for rewriting the plot of it's adaptations ever since they started producing anime from property they either owned or were the sole investors in, to the point they differ very substantially from their LN counterparts. Case in point would be Chuunibyou and Kyoukai no Kanata. And while Kyoani certainly doesn't own the rights to Hibike Euphonium the novel, they are in the dominant position when it comes to the previously little known novel and likely the sole investor in this show.

So, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, considering the substantial changes to each character (which I find plausible, within the internal narrative and logic of the show as it is, even if it contradicts the Novel's characterization); that Kyoani may well choose to go a different route. Because as it stands, Hibike Euphonium has some very serious grounds to cover to convince Anime-only viewers that Shuichi is a viable romantic interest, after what they did in Episode 8.

Infact, I would repeat my comment on the Hibike Euphonium anime thread - if Kyoani wanted to sell us the Shuichi pairing, the easiest way would have been to do their infamous complete rewriting, arc rearranging, earlier introduction of plot points and introduction of major new characters that did not exist in the source material. And consolidate Shuichi's narrative role with that of Reina.

Moreso than most other studios, the source material often proves a very poor guide to Kyoani's actual plot decisions in their adaptations. Because Kyoani takes alot of liberties with their adaptations in recent years. That being said, this time Kyoani isn't the publisher of the source material, so I guess it depends on what kind of agreement they had with Takarajimasha, Hibike Euphonium's publisher. It's just that alot of work has to be put in, to make Shuichi a viable romantic interest, from a very bad position. Can Kyoani pull it off?

That being said, I am quite curious. The anime seems to be well on it's way to another Commercial Success (possibly Chuunibyou tier, but unlikely Free! tier). But how much of this is translating into a sales boost for the original volumes themselves? And will Kyoani benefit from a boost in the novel volume sales? Also, I wonder whether future reprints would be done with covers and illustrations modeled after Kyoani character designs.
Kyoani already changed history, already rewrote the story, script changed.
but they never auteraram genre, or altered the love interest of protagonist, proposed and written in the source material.
Kyoani modified Chuunibyou and Kyoukai no Kanata, it just changed the history, not the genre and loving interreses of the protagonists.

do not talk nonsense, the author of the series wanna sift he was yuri or Shoujou-ai, and he had that kind of relationship, she would have shown in LN, and I would have done the pairing between Reina and Kumiko, not Reina confessed and have been regeitada by Taki-Sensei, and Kumiko accepting relacionameto with Shuichi.
The author would never accept that Kyoani take away the pairings created by it that would be an offense to the artist's work.
In the case of such a gift relationship by the Kyoani protagonists have listed in the anime, genre shoujo-ai or yuri.
Many people search before watching anime, looking resumes, the Ln, support materials, especially when we have a femina protagonist, whether he have yuri or shoujo-ai, many people hate discover that the anime has taken such a path while running, it would be an offense people who do not like such genre.
it was not the proposal of the anime of origin.

change the genre of romance for yuri and shoujo-ai, specially one genre has a huge rejection Among fans,genre that differs from the work of artist that's a fact.
It would totally change the artist's work and throw away their work.

delete the relationship originates from LN between Shuichi and Kumiko is to change the gender proposed by the artist is merely delusions of yuri fans.
Probably they created a film as they did with Tamako telling the story of Shuichi and Kumiko.

It is regrettable but in all anime that have a Femino MC have to put up with fanwank and fanfic of yuri fans, always decreasing and attacking male character with an interest in MC, become girls common, in lesbian girls. Creating false pairings, a show of friendship becomes romance.

a Kyoani que adora jogar iscas, como fez em Tamako Marketing com Midori e Tamako e Hyoka com Chitanda e Fuyumi.

I guarantee that as I researched several people also researched or read the LN or summaries before and are just watching anime because know that does not contain such gender and relationships between people of the same sex.
It would be a total disregard for fans who do not like this genre find that in the middle of the anime changed the genre and the pairing of the source material.

Last edited by Hidetoshi Nakata; 2015-06-01 at 15:46.
Hidetoshi Nakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 18:47   Link #44
twangansta

Thank you Hidetoshi and Birdway for the LN exerpts. However, I'll have to agree novalysis on his/her points.

Disclaimer: I am only an anime watcher, and from the most recent episode I thought the series was going toward a Reina/Kumiko pairing.

To me, the anime has more supporting material for Reina/Kumiko than the Shuuichi pairing. The focus on previous episodes has Kumiko trying to repair her relationship with Reina, and though we do have the Kumiko/Shuuichi interactions it is not the focal point. To LN readers who know what happens, or read more of the subtleties in the text (I believe someone mentioned some scenes were cut), it will make sense, I agree. But from an anime perspective, I don't think it does.

I am not arguing against what the author is showing in the LN (again, did not read it). Or that the genre of the book/anime is in the shoujo, romance area where its a typical guy/girl pairing, etc etc. However, it does not mean a work is limited to its genre. I hate to say the word cliche (because it gives a negative tone which I'm not trying to depict), lets just say, expected.

The anime is an adaptation and does not need to be limited to the original work or its genre. Sure the changes may be insulting to the author or fans of the genre, but arguably adaptations can be considered their own piece of work.

The problem is how the work is interpreted or shown. Considering the length of the naime, we are already 8 episodes in and most of the development has been between the female characters. I guess what I'm trying to say is that lets hypothetically say Kumiko/Shuuichi pair up in the last episode. I would be severely disappointed (unless significant development occurs in the next 3-4 episodes) because it would appear out of nowhere. And yes I know it won't happen (since this season is adapting volume 1), but I'm using this as an example to show that an author of a work has to support the plot elements that happen, not just pull a rabbit out of a hat.

All in all, I think its unfair to call people who support Reina/Kumiko delusional yuri fans. I honestly don't care for the yuri or whatever; I just support whichever is believable and supported. And from an anime perspective, that is what is being shown. And hey, if KyoAni adapts Volume 2/3/4 which shows the Shuuichi/Kumiko development and Reina going after Taki-sensei, I can understand that. The issue is that from the first 8 episodes it hasn't happened, but if it were to be properly supported (like the LN) than it will be interpreted that way.
twangansta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 19:26   Link #45
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetoshi Nakata View Post
Snip.
If you don't mind, let me attempt to roughly summarize your post. Kyoani may have made radical changes to it's adaptations, but has never completely changed the genre of a show. Hibike Euphonium is a heterosexual Shoujo Romance, which fundamentally demands that the female lead MUST get together with the male lead. Changing pairings radically changes the genre, as does changing the presumed sexuality of the lead protagonist. Such a change is so radical, that the author would never allow for it.

The problem with the anime however, is that it has starkly presented the situation in such a way that Shuichi appears to be in an utterly hopeless position. Again, I reiterate, if Reina was male, then everything that has transpired between Reina and Kumiko within the anime would not be out of place in a Shoujo romance,

The rejoinder against this, of course is that Kyoani is only adapting the first volume, while Shuichi and Kumiko get's together around Volume 3 to Volume 4. Since the first volume was open-ended, the anime would be open ended and ambiguous, and Shuichi and Kumiko will get together in hypothetical future seasons.

On one hand, Kyoani has taken massive liberties with chronology in their adaptation, bringing forward plot points far earlier from future volumes - Amgai Brilliant Park and the fairies was one example of this.

On the other hand, I can potentially see a silver of support, for this theory, if we go back to how Kumiko reciprocated Shuichi's feelings - via Reina opening Kumiko's world.
On that hill top scene, Reina references to Shuichi very briefly. Further, because Kumiko's been characterized as a person who takes the least troublesome path, in a "love triangle" between Reina, Kumiko and Shuichi, Kumiko would choose Shuichi because this is the least troublesome option, and would be perfectly consistent with Kumiko's characterization.

To this, I'd say that any hypothetical second season would have a hell of a job selling us Kumiko and Shuichi. Because a Shuichi-Kumiko ending this season seems far fetched as of the eight episode. And if Kyoani wanted to hook up Shuichi and Kumiko this season, they would have very likely have erased Reina from the story, and consolidate her role with Shuichi, judging by their previous actions.

Next, on the issue whether the author will allow Kyoani to make such radical changes to be made to the adaptation to his work: as I've stated in my original post, though I might not have made this fully clear, this depends on the balance of power between the author and Kyoani.

Finally, I would still like to ask the question - has the anime led to a sales boost for the Novels?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 19:57   Link #46
Birdway
Banned

As far as the novel are, there is "yuri" interactions which moght mislead people when taken out of contect.

I know it sold more but not how much, I can't find the data.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 20:38   Link #47
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Spoiler:
nobody is talking about that Kumiko/Shuichi iram stay together in the anime this season, we are just being realistic and telling the truth there is no such homosexual relationships in this series, you now face friendship and display of affection between same fri to such a relationship does not pass fantasy.
review Hyouka, It has two scenes similar to episode 8, the dialogue between Chitanda and Fuyumi, look at the similarity of the content of BOTH scenes, pay attention to the tone of voice, and the irony used in both is the same.
It is clear that the anime ended open without concrete relationships, as soon after the hearing takes place Reina's confession to Taki-Sensei vol.1, this tempora they are giving emphasis the band, and the resumption of friendship Reina and Kumiko, the we do not like is these false relationships created by yuri fans.
You must remember that they are always the same reread the topic Cross Ange the same users who insisted that Ange would end Hilda or Salia and swore feet together that Ange was lesbian.
This is not only disrespect to those who do not like this genre, but also with those who are watching anime for music by the band and a good story is so you notice how the anime topic already become like the topic of cross ange, jeers and yuri fanart, by the yuri fans, again the same attacks and decreased male character who has interrese the female protagonist.

they really tivesem changed the anime genre he would be listed as yuri or shoujo-ai because totally would modify the source material, making it a series with totally different sense Original reverse
Another fact is that not only is the LN which has no such relationship in the sleeve which began on November 28, 2014 has no such relationships, the manga was released recently.
that's why it's hard to believe they would make a radical change going to the reverse mode of LN and Manga list the change of genre.

I have nothing against yuri shoujo-ai.
What I do not like is when in anime that does not have such relationships or girls do not have such interesses, plus there is no such description in your character fans force such relationships,
So much so that I'm currently watching Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku where clearly Eruna explicitly in women and has several yuri elements, and she explicitamente shows his taste for womens.
I do not have the slightest problem, the case is very simple because the source material LN and Manga both elements were present, I was already aware of this situation, the description of the character also had cited his personality. different from Hibike! That not has such personality cited in the girls, or such relationships in the anime description.

Had a person asked and Reina were a man, would the same thing the fans of Yuri procuraiam other female pairing, and Reina attack for being a boy.
It was so in Cross Ange when they gave up Salia, left for Relations Hilda.
you guys can question, more such things happen not only in this anime it has occurred in any anime, that has the girl MC, that has a character of the opposite sex interested in her.

one of the baits Kyoani - Kyouka

one of the baits Kyoani - Chuunibyou
most of all bait, all the maximum they came to do more came to nothing
Nibutani xShinka they have several scenes yuri but never more than a kiss without want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
As far as the novel are, there is "yuri" interactions which moght mislead people when taken out of contect.

I know it sold more but not how much, I can't find the data.
Yuri fans are hungry of anything they think is yuri especially if the girls are beautiful.
THis the very purpose of baiting, to lure fans and not fans yet to increase their sales. But they will not alter the original genre no matter what.

I do not know if you've saw here has a manga scene, showing how Kumiko acts close to Shuichi.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Hidetoshi Nakata; 2015-06-01 at 22:09.
Old 2015-06-01, 21:19   Link #48
Romanticide

They really had Kumiko's reason for playing music be a guy??? Ugh how annoying. Instead of being interested in it herself, it's for a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Look at it this way, if Kumiko doesn't care anything about Shu, She wouldn't have held a grudge for him calling her ugly. Why does she care so much about what he thinks of her. She should know by now(being childhood friends) that Shu never really meant it yet she still can't get over it.
Uh, i'm pretty sure that he meant it. You don't call someone ugly as a joke. You do it to intentionally hurt them. Holding a grudge has nothing to do about caring about him, it has to do with him being a jerk for no reason.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 21:44   Link #49
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanticide View Post
They really had Kumiko's reason for playing music be a guy??? Ugh how annoying. Instead of being interested in it herself, it's for a dude.

Uh, i'm pretty sure that he meant it. You don't call someone ugly as a joke. You do it to intentionally hurt them. Holding a grudge has nothing to do about caring about him, it has to do with him being a jerk for no reason.

The anime cut Kumiko forgiving Shuichi at the bank side for calling her ugly while in middle school and not to mention Kumiko herself acts differently around Shuichi.

yes Kumiko started to have interest and fell in love with music when he saw Shuichi playing one instrument, starting this moment she takes taste for music and decide to learn an instrument.
The big problem is that the anime is distorting reality and cutting important parts of the story.
More you can see them also in manga.

Who should be very offended and upset must be the creator of history, which is seeing its history being distruida and distorted by adding bait to sell DVDs
Old 2015-06-01, 21:47   Link #50
Romanticide

IMO she shouldn't have forgiven him so easily. But it was still for a guy though. :/

Sorry, but i'm having some trouble understanding what you're saying? Are you saying the creator of the novels should be upset because the anime cut/rewrote things???
Old 2015-06-01, 22:17   Link #51
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
IMO she shouldn't have forgiven him so easily. But it was still for a guy though. :/

Sorry, but i'm having some trouble understanding what you're saying? Are you saying the creator of the novels should be upset because the anime cut/rewrote things???

exactly.
no artist likes to see their work distorted.

if she forgave Reina who humiliated her in front of all mebros club during the presentation I see no problem in forgiving the boy.

imagine how you would feel if you were in a band and one of his friends give you a sermon in front of others
Old 2015-06-01, 22:22   Link #52
Romanticide

I wouldn't call the work distorted, it's a given they can't have everything from a novel into an anime, and things will have to be cut/adapted differently. What sermon did Reina give???
Old 2015-06-01, 22:27   Link #53
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't call the work distorted, it's a given they can't have everything from a novel into an anime, and things will have to be cut/adapted differently. What sermon did Reina give???
that scene where Reina appears crying and blaming on Kumiko took place in front of the other band members.
think of the embarrassment that Kumiko felt at that moment being humiliated in front of his bandmates.
It is much more serious, than to be called ugly.
Old 2015-06-01, 22:30   Link #54
Romanticide

But that's not the same. The thing with Reina and Kumiko is different in that initially Kumiko said they couldn't have made it, and she said it in front of the whole band too? IMO being called ugly and ignored by someone you consider a close enough friend to invite over to your house, is worse.
Old 2015-06-01, 22:31   Link #55
Birdway
Banned

The changes aren't that glaring IMHO, IG episode 10 or 11 cut it out then I'll have to complaiin.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 22:35   Link #56
Romanticide

If anything i hope the Taki-sensei and Reina thing gets cut. He's over twice her age. Also if they're going for Kumiko/Shuuichi they should have developed Shuuichi more. He doesn't do anything plot wise???
Old 2015-06-01, 22:56   Link #57
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
In other news, I'm glad KyoAni went with their own character redesigns. Asuka in particular needs it for being as flirtatious as she is. Whatever other creative liberties (such as character relationships) KyoAni has taken also seem to be working~
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 22:58   Link #58
Romanticide

True. Reina and Asuke looked too similar in the art for the novels.
Old 2015-06-01, 23:26   Link #59
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
If anything i hope the Taki-sensei and Reina thing gets cut. He's over twice her age. Also if they're going for Kumiko/Shuuichi they should have developed Shuuichi more. He doesn't do anything plot wise???
but no one is expecting the Relationship between Shuuichi and Kumiko occur in this part of the anime, because this is the bow of the resumption of friendship between kumiko and Reina. Only reveal the relationship Shouuichi an Kumiko and the Reina interrese in Taki-Sensei for in order to prove that both girls are normal and have interreses by men, and that such relationships raised in the forum would not happen.
unfortunately have a repetition of the events occurred in Cross Ange and Aldnoah.Zero tons of Fanwank and Fanfic.
if it had not been such comments, and cited such relationships, and such personality of the characters there would be no need to reveal the content of LN

KyoAni only change the designer of the characters and cut scenes, the personality of the characters is the same, the only notable difference It is how Kumiko acts toward Shu que é diferente da LN and manga.
Old 2015-06-01, 23:35   Link #60
Romanticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetoshi Nakata View Post
both girls are normal and have interreses by men
Excuse me, what do you mean by "normal"? Are you saying same gender relationships aren't normal?

Tags
music