AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-10-06, 07:21   Link #41
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Not yet, people. Apple still lives, for today.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 08:47   Link #42
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i am talking about long term. consider apple to success is because steve job and pretty much he himself is save it from disaster wayback to most popular and successful company now. it will be interesting to see what happens next

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 09:07   Link #43
Solafighter
Hige

Rest in peace, Jobs.
Old 2011-10-06, 09:41   Link #44
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Keep watching the stock ticker. It went up again as of 6th Oct 2011, US time.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 10:25   Link #45
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I kind of find it hard to believe they'll die. They have this niche market they've exploited for years.
Old 2011-10-06, 11:34   Link #46
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

The first time I knew he had a hand in making early PIXAR Company. R.I.P to the guy. Once again Pancreatic Cancer kills a man who had a vision.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 12:36   Link #47
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe Apple made him into an iHal9000 so she can keep making ideas. Or iSteve
Old 2011-10-06, 12:54   Link #48
Nosauz

Steve Jobs was the greatest swindler of our times, he was genius at parting a fool from his/her money. I mean he did lot's of things, but he also convinced the general public, that cost efficiency in consumer electronics was to be shunned, that upgradable electronics were to be shunned, that the closed wall system was perfect for the consumer, honestly he convinced the public that these anti consumer sentiments were to their benefits, he really put the G.O.P to shame. Still you have to respect someone who could monetize an idea, and in such away, in 20 years they will make a Mad men esque series about steve jobs, where we scoff at the stupid marketing that affected us in the 00s.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 12:56   Link #49
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Lets be honest here, do anybody really care outside of is closest friends and family that he's dead? If he left me in his will I might've cared just a little but then overcame it with extreme joy over the money just like his family lollercakes
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 13:10   Link #50
solomon

According to news reports he's reportedly a saint amongst techies.

So fill me in.

I respect the man and hope he rests in peace. But I am a tech retard all i Know is that the Ipod is cool, my Mac still works well after 5 years and the products had a sleek ass design.

Other than that I must ask, in a nutshell (plz no thesis) why all the apple hate?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 13:25   Link #51
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
According to news reports he's reportedly a saint amongst techies.

So fill me in.

I respect the man and hope he rests in peace. But I am a tech retard all i Know is that the Ipod is cool, my Mac still works well after 5 years and the products had a sleek ass design.

Other than that I must ask, in a nutshell (plz no thesis) why all the apple hate?
Many reason but mainly is because their arrogance. pretty much their personality even before 2000

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 13:33   Link #52
Nosauz

Do you know the iconic 1984 parody that Macintosh did of windows? Well the sad fact is that Mac then became the exact same thing, probably to an even more controlling standpoint, although that's hard to debate when you compare xbl to itunes they both are vile closed gardens. I think when we think of Jobs legacy we cant only look at his past, we have to look at what he changed that past into, one that is focused on selling mediocre hardware for upscale prices, one that supports unfair labor laws, but then again it's hard to blame Jobs when the current market is in the state it is. I can definitely say he was a product of his environment, but the irony of that 1984 ad is just hilarious, and I think a lot of my "hatred" if you can call it that, is that I didn't think of it first, it's just like the Diamond Cartel, or the person who made pearls valuable. He is definitely a polarizing figure, but I think from strictly a technological standpoint he's hard to hammer down, he perfected the closed garden, but he also forced linux based OS to think about the UI and helped them move to ward more user friendly software.
Old 2011-10-06, 14:03   Link #53
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

This?

Old 2011-10-06, 14:10   Link #54
solomon

Interesting commentary and analysis on Jobs legacy from France 24

http://www.france24.com/en/20111006-...y-closedsystem
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 16:30   Link #55
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Do you know the iconic 1984 parody that Macintosh did of windows?
Not windows (it didn't exist at the time),IBM!
Old 2011-10-06, 16:41   Link #56
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I think the main criticism of Apple among techies is how their product is inherently a "black box", a closed system. As a user you have no influence over your hardware, and little over the software. The PC, by contrast, is an open platform. If you want you can take your PC apart, change the parts, put in a new OS, whatever. It requires little knowledge to do so, and what knowledge you need is all out there and easily accessible.

I think it rankles a lot of us how apple claimed to be going "beyond" the PC, that the PC would die. Personally, while the exact standards defining how PCs are built is bound to change, I don't think the future is closed systems like the Apple, I think the true future isn't in "boxed" electronics like Apple products, or even even consoles like the PS3, the future is in the PC. In the future, every computer will be a PC.

The other element is how Apple has this whole "anti-establishment" credibility among hipsters, that Apple isn't part of the corporate machine like Microsoft is. While Microsoft is a frequent target for it's many anti-competitive practices, and lack of OS transperency, Apple makes Microsoft look saintly. At least Microsoft doesn't control what hardware you use. Likewise Microsoft exerts significantly less control over what software you can use compared to Apple products like the IPad or IPhone.

If I'm going to pick the Software corporation I'm going to swear loyalty to, I'll go with Google first. At least Google has consistently shown a commitment to open standards, open software and independent hardware platforms, even if I prefered that they did a bit less data mining.

The Apple future of computing is not one I desire, I don't want my computing experience to be dictated by a single company. I like having the graphics cards of ATI, with the processors of Intel, with an Iomega hard drive, a Samsung display and a Linux OS (or Microsoft etc.). Not whatever Apple happens to choose.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 16:50   Link #57
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

*shakes head*

Just read about how how after Jobs was diagnosed he spent nine months screwing about with alternative medicine (I.E. special diet) instead of immediately seeking surgical intervention.

I can't believe that some people believe n that crap!
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 16:52   Link #58
james0246

So, did anyone else think of Noah Wyle when they heard that Jobs was dead? For some reason I had an immediate flashback to Pirates of Silicon Valley upon news of Jobs demise...it was a very strage moment...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 18:15   Link #59
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not windows (it didn't exist at the time),IBM!
they rebroadcasted this in 2000s, during windows rise, which makes it still relevant, that Apple was still trying to harness the anti-establishment line, but yes sorry for that woeful mistake.
Old 2011-10-06, 19:46   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What Apple (Jobs) offered were the closest we can get to technological functions you just use, you don't have to tweak, etc.

Its the difference between, say, a Lexus and a home-built sportscar -- how do you want to spend your time? Personally I like home-builts.
But either answer is correct, it depends on the individual's preferences. Frankly, I much preferred a network made up of Unix servers and desktops of Apples/Macs -- when the users were non-IT types (scientists, creatives, graphic artists, etc). It was far less stressful than a Microsoft-wide network or a Unix-wide network.

Steve didn't do what he did by himself.. but he *led* a troop of people who together made cool things. If you want, think of him as the guy at the whiteboard drawing a sketch and saying "I want to make this, I have a general idea but you guys are the best at your specialties and we're going to build this" ... a fair comparison can be made to Thomas Edison (who has his supporters and detractors).

Apparently, he was much like Bill Gates in his style... at any given instant an employee was either being called a "genius" or an "idiot", sometimes on the same day.