AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-22, 00:09   Link #41
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Nixon went into Cambodia. That wasn't Johnson.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 00:12   Link #42
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Sure. But let congress decide that. I'm just tired of the gross overstepping of power by the president.
Let the first senator who does not desire reelection cast the first vote.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 00:13   Link #43
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't think it matters what America does anymore, we're going to catch crap from SOMEONE.

I'm frankly tired of America doing the majority of action around the world. Because we spend so much on our military, Europe isn't required to spend as much on military resources. It's time they start carrying some of the load a bit more often.

I applaud France and Britain for being the main players in this recent situation. France's leader has really been impressing me. He has more balls than one of his predecessors(who's name escapes me).
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 00:18   Link #44
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
France's leader has really been impressing me. He has more balls than one of his predecessors(who's name escapes me).
It isn't about his ball; it's probably the best way he found to save face after all the mistake/mini scandal his gouvernement faced since the revolt in egypt.
Old 2011-03-22, 00:22   Link #45
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
I believe it was the "War Powers Act" that allowed Johnson's free hand with the Vietnam "conflict" (too lazy to look it up, so going off of what I remember).

I still like how Obama keeps saying that the US will not deploy ground forces in Libya. Does he honestly expect people to not believe that there are Green Berets already on the ground, working with local militias, ready to move at moment's notice?
Old 2011-03-22, 00:24   Link #46
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Ssh! don't let the secret out!

Of course there are. There's the word "Special" for a reason, because they don't apply to normal rules!
Old 2011-03-22, 00:33   Link #47
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering the state of the "police action" in Vietnam in 1970, and the movement of North Vietnamese troops through Cambodia into South Vietnam, I'd say that action was justified since the effect of those troop movements was getting more South Vietnamese and Americans killed each night. My father's tour of duty ended a week before that operation started, but he did patrol the rivers up to the border before that action happened.

(What I find weird though, after the war, the Vietnamese went in there and basically took Cambodia in a week.)

Also we had troops in Laos long before that under Kennedy's watch.
Old 2011-03-22, 00:51   Link #48
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I believe it was the "War Powers Act" that allowed Johnson's free hand with the Vietnam "conflict" (too lazy to look it up, so going off of what I remember).

I still like how Obama keeps saying that the US will not deploy ground forces in Libya. Does he honestly expect people to not believe that there are Green Berets already on the ground, working with local militias, ready to move at moment's notice?
The SFOD would have been too obvious, and they aren't trained in sociopolitical espionage and recon.

Unlike the SAD.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 01:08   Link #49
Flinch
Onii-chan~

True, but if you're going to send militia at trained military forces, you're going to need more than a few SOG operatives.
Old 2011-03-22, 03:01   Link #50
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Care to elaborate why? I am curious.
I'll try to keep this very short.

Why I think it's wrong? Well it's personal for me, in 1999 the US (Nato) bombed my country. So yes I think this is wrong and I am probably biased but I don't really care. I remember I had to watch bombs falling, and asked if I am going to live trough this. So I am kindy a holding a grudge here. I apologize if I insulted anyone it's not my intention to do so. Maybe this is not the same (attack on Libya as was on my home country) but every time I hear someone is trowing bombs I disagree with them and will hate them if they do so. Even if my own country were to do this I would still be against it.
Old 2011-03-22, 03:25   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This seems to me like a reasonable intervention on the part of the U.S/France/Great Britain and Canada who are the main powers involved. Yes there's more than just the United States that involved here. For me it comes down to the fact that if some first world nation(s) didn't intervene than Gadaffi's retribution against the rebellion and towns involved in it would have been swift, indiscriminate and brutal as it was already turning out to be before somebody stepped in.

Now I know it can be argued that the rebels started the fight themselves and should be left to finish it either way the battle turned, but the damage they inflicted on Gadaffi's regime during their successful periods was nothing compared to about what was going to happen to them. The goal here was to force Gadaffi to honor the ceasefire he and the rebels were already supposed to have agreed to. That seems to have been accomplished now so I look to the coming actions of all parties involved in order to decide who will prove to be right or wrong in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Something is surely amiss, as with any war started under the pretense of happy rosy ideals and fluff. I'm not familiar with Libyan politics and how Kadafi got to power but I would surely be surprised if there isn't more to the dictator that had so many underhanded deals with several EU nations, especially Italy.

I can hardly see the US' interest here other than for diplomatic reasons. Not even moving the cogs of the war-machine makes sense as getting rid of Libya's army is like turkey-shooting for them, it won't even justify the costs of the weaponry used.
Gadaffi basically took Egypt's Gamel Abdel Nasser as his role model and came to power following a bloodless coup against the former Libyan Monarchy while he was a young colonel through a bit of ingenuity (for the time) and a little bit of luck.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 03:47   Link #52
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its really a Brit-French-US affair with some symbolic appearances by other forces. If any of the players had not bought into it (especially the Arab League) - it would not have happened.

So its kind of misleading to call a "US Raid"...
I agree it wasn't really a 100% fitting title and I changed it into a more generic Lybia Crisis (easier to spot than the operation's name "Odissey Dawn"). Also noted the day the first raids started, march 19th, just for the record.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-03-27 at 08:00.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 04:00   Link #53
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Before I say anything, what do China and Russia think about this?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 04:10   Link #54
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
As usual. "......imperialist dogs........US hegemony.........". Their scripts always run along those lines when US does something.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 04:12   Link #55
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
As usual. "......imperialist dogs........US hegemony.........". Their scripts always run along those lines when US does something.
What of their involvement in the UN? I've heard (from an admittedly questionable source) that they voted against US and European armed military intervention in Libya because of their interests in the oil there, which wouldn't be surprising.
Old 2011-03-22, 04:17   Link #56
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
In a nutshell.
Russia is strongly hostile towards the intervention.
China is also hostile (though more mildly than Russia).
Old 2011-03-22, 04:17   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

China and Russia get ?understandably? nervous when the international community sporadically rouses from its slumber and objects to the way some government bludgeons its people.
Old 2011-03-22, 04:17   Link #58
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
What of their involvement in the UN? I've heard (from an admittedly questionable source) that they voted against US and European armed military intervention in Libya because of their interests in the oil there, which wouldn't be surprising.
If they had voted against, then the resolution would not have passed at all, given their Veto powers. They abstained.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 04:28   Link #59
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Well, my question about their opinion on the situation is if it's really an interest in Libyan oil or purely out of spite for the US and EU. If it's the latter, then that's just a question of ideology. If it's the former, they should really understand that with or without intervention, Libya's in a condition where oil is hard to get as it is due to a civil war already happening and could easily degenerate to tribal wars on top of that.

Tbh, as far as the US goes, I'm not really for or against it, and the same goes for Europe. However, I do believe something needs to be done about Gheddafi bombing his own people. My real issue with the intervention is if the western powers actually know who the protesters they're supporting actually are and what they want out of their revolution. While it's good that they know who they oppose, it's been mentioned before various times in the news thread: how do we know that whoever gains power after one dictator falls will be better or worse? Take the situation in Egypt right now for instance. The protesters succeeded in getting Mubarak to step down, but they've yet to decide who will take his place and are too reliant on the currently existing system to amend the constitution when the purpose was to really get rid of that completely. We don't know who it is that will take the government after the old one is destroyed. Part of why I'm skeptical about the intervention is because I'm not completely certain the west knows what's gonna happen in the mideast after all is said and done.
Old 2011-03-22, 05:27   Link #60
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Do people ever do things out of the goodness of their heart anymore?

The US sent foreign aid all over the world during the Cold War to bring as many countries as possible to the "Allied" side (and thus, we've yet to stop doing it, as humanitarians would throw a fit if we stopped sending aid). We did it with an ulterior motive.

Cruise Missiles are, in comparison to ground troops, a dime a dozen. If I'm remembering correctly, a US soldier's life equates out to about 400,000 USD (Including training, equipment, food, everything they'll use; and life expectancy is generally 3 tours of duty), and a cruise missile is roughly 1,000,000 USD. In comparison, its much more cost effective (for the DoD, at least) to shoot million dollar missiles than put boots on the ground (cause then you bring logistics into it, and it becomes a financial nightmare).

The primary motive here is oil. Plain and simple. You put on the mask of the humanitarian, and no one asks questions.