AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-30, 13:36   Link #41
Ending

Around here, we got media taxes. Which means that every time you buy something which can potentially used to save music or videos, you'll pay a tax to our local copyright association. In Finland's case, it would be Gramex and Teosto (equivelant to the assholes of RIAA/MPAA).

Therefore there is no piracy, since you have already paid your fees the moment you bought a computer, harddisk, cellphone, a stack of DVDs, or whatnot. You also pay a tax whenever you hear music in a public place, so the xxAAs get their money no matter what you do.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 13:16   Link #42
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

There's a copyright tax fee on anything that has the possibility to copy something on it, over here too
Old 2011-03-31, 15:50   Link #43
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Media taxes are pure bullshit! These businesses have a lot of nerve to assume "right to profit." Nobody has a right to make money. That sort of law just encourages stagnation and discourages innovation. Why bother trying to make a great product if the law ensures you get paid regardless?
Old 2011-03-31, 16:56   Link #44
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

No, think of it this way:

I now pay copyright tax

So I can 'get' anything of intellectual value without paying a dime
Old 2011-03-31, 17:01   Link #45
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm sure the content gatekeepers--and their army of lawyers, lobbyists and cronies--don't see things the same way.
Old 2011-03-31, 17:24   Link #46
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm sure the content gatekeepers--and their army of lawyers, lobbyists and cronies--don't see things the same way.
I'd actually like to see someone go up in court and argue that they paid a copywrong tax, thus they shouldn't have the right to pirate stuff.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 14:26   Link #47
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Ofcourse not, but it creates a possible precedent that may have them end up shooting themselves in the foot

The thing they are betting on is that they'll face someone who won't have the money to keep it in court for a sustained period
Old 2011-04-03, 14:14   Link #48
Ending

Which in itself is wrong, since that's the abuse of court, where the only real winners are the lawyers. If court battles were resolved in a timely fashion (say: 1-2 weeks) and if having a fair trial didn't cost fortunes, I don't think that many people would be afraid of them.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:05   Link #49
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Taken from a 'comment' in my control panel about my "I now pay copyright tax" post

Quote:
yea... no that's stupid because it's impossibe to decide who deserves the money from the tax.
And it's not stupid to put a copyright tax on paper that I write my own text on?
Or a copyright tax on a harddisk or CD I save my own made music to (or files that I paid for)?

Because that's what's happening

So, they screw me, I screw them
Since I'm now paying for copyright through 'mediums', piracy isn't possible anymore

And even more funny: the decision made to where the money goes is NOT any artist or copyright holder, the only ones benefiting from this is the dutch equivalent or the RIAA
because that's where their funding comes from

To add:
By law it is now impossible to punish me for downloading over here, but it's still illegal to upload