AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-04-11, 17:38   Link #41
Chosen_Hero

^Dying from a heart attack because you though you were going to die and soiling your underwear at the same time (a.k.a. Tracktor-kun).
Old 2019-04-11, 18:03   Link #42
Tenzen12

Wow that was terrible even by isekai standards. First half is spent on legendary heroes swoon over reincarnator teenager and then as finale we got obviously dumb as a doornail main heroine.

Why are retarded (often literally) heroines so popular? So self-inserting audience doesn't have to feel threatened by fictional "waifu"?
Old 2019-04-11, 21:09   Link #43
Greenish Growth

Swooning over an overpowered isekai main character's abilities can be funny.

On the other hand if you see the same joke over and over, it might become....very tiring.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 00:28   Link #44
rladls2121

So as the title says, I guess Shin's Grandpa will be relevant throughout the whole series.

A boy who is surrounded by lot of successful adults, that is the boy himself maybe will become even more successful than any of them, I guess he already kind of won at this new life.

Working in some company office all day and overnight alone, then get hit by a truck and die is boring and tiresome anyway right?
It feels exciting to go out in the wilds, firing those magics at the monsters, go to some medieval like-town beating up thugs, and meet a female you think that is cute and fall in love.

There's really not much anime that interests me these days.
And yet, I'm more obsessed of these kinds.
I wonder why?
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 00:51   Link #45
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
There's really not much anime that interests me these days.
And yet, I'm more obsessed of these kinds.
I wonder why?
Probably the same reasons games like "The Sims" are interesting. a story will play out that you get to spectate (regardless of what the story ends up being, or the 'quality' of the story). It's enjoyable to watch development/change over time (because of the change itself, as opposed to something stagnant and fixed).

Putting aside the gruesome 'context' of the situation, it would be a bit like Dr. Strange simulating all the various futures/realities in the Avengers (MCU). With the way anime is these days we're essentially living/exposed to that super-power (in generalized terms of course).
Old 2019-04-12, 01:19   Link #46
rladls2121

^In my case I put Far Cry Series as examples, I still enjoy them despite being repetitive and performance issues.
These "Isekai" genres, sometime reminds me of Open World games sometimes, though I die a lot.
As I explore throughout the game's immersive world, there are bound to be some actions and phenomenon worth experiencing with me being in part of the scenes.
I never get tired of them.
I would like to experience these feelings in real VR someday.

I'm really excited to watch the Endgame.
Old 2019-04-12, 02:41   Link #47
zztop

Reminder that most isekai anime so far are adaptations of shounen isekai webnovels, targeted at male readers. Bigger emphasis on female harems and abilities usage.

So far we don't yet have adaptations of shoujo/otome isekai webnovels, which emphasize character interactions/words usage and reverse harem of males (which then leads to one true pairing romance).

PS. At least until My Next Life as a Villianess/Bakarina anime comes out; but that's more a Konosuba-style parody of the genre.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 03:58   Link #48
rladls2121

^Bakarina, I saw the manga just now and it's really good.
I definitely want this to comes out as anime.
Male and female characters, all them are cute and pretty.

Somehow, I can relate to myself between these topics.
If I am actually the protagonist in the certain Far Cry game world, there are at least two characters I really have to kill in order to avoid the worst possible ending.

Well, certainly being an OP protagonist is actually practically useful, too bad that has to be somehow true, I would really want that feat in real life.
No need to mention the heroines since I feel those topics are always secondary to me.

I actually hurt my ankle this morning, damn it there is no such thing as healing magic.
Old 2019-04-12, 04:18   Link #49
Applehell

I like how the main heroine was introduced by her boobs first before her face.

That doesn't give me much hope for younger female characters in the show in terms of respectability.

Anyway beyond the perfunctory isekai setup, the most striking thing is how bland the visual direction is in anything other than the battles. Shin entire life until the academy was presented as dry as possible if it were just something to go through motions with no flair. Everything has named card attached and a lot of dialogue feel less like actual conversations and more like overly long expositions. I can appreciate that it didn't drag out things but it might be little too fast. Well at least there no game lore mechanics for a change.

The most interesting thing in first episode is how good the fight choreography is and the main character's lack of common sense. The later could amusing for a while but I doubr It will make me stay through the whole thing on it's own. I think I will give it one more week.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-04-12 at 17:17.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 11:08   Link #50
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
^ because it provides an easy explanation to why the MC is OP? as in how he knows all those stuff LOL
Yeah, I really shouldn't think too hard about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
I think, most of those errors occurred because of how the lines were worded in the translation.

So, while he knew what "Money" is, he didn't learn if they existed in the other world (maybe he thought that the whole world works on some form of barter system). He did say that he would have to find ways to earn money, and learn how to use them (aka., he just doesn't know the money system of that world).
As for the School, what surprised him isn't the fact that a School exists, but rather a 'School for Magic' exists.

Well, most of the stuff he knew was because of his work i guess, which seems to be related to Science (from the look of things in the office he was working in, it seems like he worked at the editorial department of a Science Book Publishing company).
As for the 'teleportation spell', the theory behind it actually already exists in today's science, just like the theory behind stuff like 'Dyson sphere', and other stuff like that. But we don't have the technology to make them real yet (atleast that's how its generally known).
My entire point was that his recollection of his other life was very selective. He seems to have forgotten about basic common sense stuff like schools and money (it's even in the synopsis that's he's powerful but lacks common sense) but remembers specific info like how combustion works.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 12:56   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, even if he knows about money as a concept, he may not know how much things are worth, or what the local currency itself looks like. Does paper money exist? Are there coins, or something else?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 19:53   Link #52
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
My entire point was that his recollection of his other life was very selective. He seems to have forgotten about basic common sense stuff like schools and money (it's even in the synopsis that's he's powerful but lacks common sense) but remembers specific info like how combustion works.
There are (more than a few) people in the 'real-world' who have historically claimed to be reincarnations/lived former lives as <xyz>. Apparently they've even provided supplementary information to support these claims (information that, contextually, should never have been obtainable otherwise).

Assuming you don't write-off these real-world claims as nonsense of children (often when these claims are made) then the selectivity is perfectly fine (but of course, this means accepting that reincarnation exists in the first place).

Would you find it more acceptable if someone with a massive sense of individuality and patriotism died, reincarnated and that's all that lingered from their past self? I mean if Setsuna (Gundam 00) died, reincarnated and recalled that they were a Gundam (but nothing else) would that be weird at all? (weird as contextually appropriate to reincarnation in the first place).
Old 2019-04-12, 20:10   Link #53
Nymene

The preview for episode 2 is now at the official website : http://kenja-no-mago.jp/story/?mode=story2

The school uniforms look neat and cool.
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 21:11   Link #54
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, even if he knows about money as a concept, he may not know how much things are worth, or what the local currency itself looks like. Does paper money exist? Are there coins, or something else?
I'm going with this interpretation. It is most logical way to explain it without being contrived. That said anime does make sound like he doesn't understand concept of money at all, but I supposed the only way to find out is to watch the next epiosdes
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 02:12   Link #55
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, there was also that scene where he asked if the coin he's handing over is enough to buy an apple.

I'm asking all these questions now because I get the feeling that they'll move on with the plot (meaning those girls and the magic school) and not dwell on his lack of knowledge of basic things.

I might be wrong of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
Would you find it more acceptable if someone with a massive sense of individuality and patriotism died, reincarnated and that's all that lingered from their past self? I mean if Setsuna (Gundam 00) died, reincarnated and recalled that they were a Gundam (but nothing else) would that be weird at all? (weird as contextually appropriate to reincarnation in the first place).
If I was in this situation it would've been more likely for me to remember the concept of money or schools, something that I've experienced day to day for years rather than say, knowing that you can break down water into hydrogen and oxygen, the burn them to make a blue flame.

But then I'm now convinced that it's not the concept of money itself that he didn't know, it was that how the specifics of it worked in this world, just like how he knew what schools were but not magic schools.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 06:10   Link #56
francescoG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Wow that was terrible even by isekai standards. First half is spent on legendary heroes swoon over reincarnator teenager and then as finale we got obviously dumb as a doornail main heroine.

Why are retarded (often literally) heroines so popular? So self-inserting audience doesn't have to feel threatened by fictional "waifu"?
To me Sicily seem just a timind, innocent and kind type girl. She ins't "retarded" just because of that.....

Well there are other thinks but are spoilers.
francescoG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 06:29   Link #57
Rimbo99

This is bad like Isekai Smartphone bad. Even the opening looks like it.
Rimbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 07:51   Link #58
Tenzen12

It has better animation... maybe.
Old 2019-04-13, 10:38   Link #59
alex_drian

This isn't grandiose in any way but I like it the first episode, actually I liked the isekai/tensei where is the MC having fun, in a new world with OP powers, with the plot don't take it so seriously so he can enjoy the life, that more or less is my idea of fun, kinda as Smarthphone and Slime, not those that try to sell me fucking shit and not comply as Shield or SAO. See, from this point of view: sometimes you only see to your MC WIN.

Rule of 3 episodes. Don't dissapoint me.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-14, 15:24   Link #60
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I don't think it's smartphone bad or bland. At least not yet. Shin at least has some personality thus far and you get to see this person grow into this world to the point where it's mostly just a fantasy series. At least he seems to enjoy the powers he's gotten, the grandfather he's currently got, and has emotional reactions of surprise to things. While smartphone had some guy who didn't seem to care about anything; Not that he died, that he has crazy powers, or anything about his situation.

Whether the show ends up being any good will be determined as it goes along. Hopefully the next couple episodes are good and give hope for where things go from here.

Tags
not-harem, op protagonist