4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-21, 20:31   Link #41
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Even Armin got on a fighting mindset faster than Eren. That's saying something.
And yes, a "friend" is a traitor. But that friend also happens to be an enemy of mankind, killed dozens of soldiers, including some of your other actual friends.

Given Eren's hatred of Titans, I would've expected him to be one of the first to want to shank her for what she did, not spend most of the episode trying to eat his hand.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 20:32   Link #42
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Give the guy a break, it is not everyday that you discover that your friend and someone you respect is a traitor.
If he were a bit smarter about the whole thing, he'd have considered the circumstances and whatever "evidence" they had like all the others did: a few days in advance would've been plenty of time to brace himself alongside his fellow legionnaires.

But that's not really a problem, I realize Eren's still naive and just a little overemotional since he's so early in his development as a character. It's just how he rolls, right? That's totally fine.

Edit: Also, what Dark said above. I do think he was more conflicted than he was as a kid, simply because his friendship with Annie might have dented his hatred for titans. But yeah, it shouldn't have been enough to overlook Annie's killing spree and whatever.
Old 2013-09-21, 20:39   Link #43
kitten320

Ok, imagine that instead of Annie it is Mikasa or Armin. Would you still blame him for hesitating?

And talking about Armin, unlike Eren he has common sense and grew balls long time ago.
Eren was never the smartest, he always dealt with problems with emotions and not brain. I really see no problem here. If he was smart as Armin, yes. But he isn't, he is an emotional person. Be it rage or anything else, it never was brain.
Old 2013-09-21, 20:45   Link #44
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos2099 View Post
I kind of prefer that uppercut in the manga to the punch this episode.
While I agree in that the manga's uppercut looked much cooler than the running punch from the anime...you also have to take into account that the filler basically put them both in much different positions.
In the manga Eren got over his hesitation quite quickly, right after Mikasa and Armin left to lure Annie, Eren immediately snapped out of it and transformed while inside the tunnel, UNDERNEATH Annie! Which placed her perfectly for the uppercut as he transformed.
In the anime Eren took a long time to get over his hesitation, the tunnel caved in on him, Annie fought against the Recon Corp all over the town and once Eren transformed they were already far away from eachother, so it makes sense that the attack would change.

That said...I so wanted to see the upper! It looked so awesome with Eren transforming as he crashed trough the ground and delivered a face crushing uppercut to Annie's face.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 20:50   Link #45
kitten320

It actually made more sense than Annie just spacing out.
Old 2013-09-21, 20:50   Link #46
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Ok, imagine that instead of Annie it is Mikasa or Armin. Would you still blame him for hesitating?
But it's not Mikasa or Armin. It would've been a completely diferent scenario then because they've been friends since they were children.
Besides, from what I read in other posts, Eren wasn't nearly as indecisive in the manga. It's simply a case of his character suffering because the anime needs to buy time for the big finale.

Which is a shame...
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:00   Link #47
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Action scenes were great. That was some wonderful 3D-Maneuver Gear animation there.
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:04   Link #48
Subarunyon
Yui is mai waifu <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
But it's not Mikasa or Armin. It would've been a completely diferent scenario then because they've been friends since they were children.
Besides, from what I read in other posts, Eren wasn't nearly as indecisive in the manga. It's simply a case of his character suffering because the anime needs to buy time for the big finale.

Which is a shame...
I dont think you have to be friends with someone from children to hesitate killing / fighting them. I do agree though that perhaps their interactions needs a little more screentime in the anime.

You realize that he tried really hard to transform and fight before the tunnel collapses, but deep down he feels that the action is wrong as he really respects Annie. It just shows how he really feels about the situation. I empathize with Eren, even though a person can make themselves do things they dont want to, he or she would still feel differently and this is something that's hard to change. Taking that into account Eren actually got his resolve back relatively quickly. The way it was done in the manga is acceptable but I think the anime did a much better job. It feels like better storytelling.

Also Eren != Shinji. Eren did not try to run away from the fight like Shinji did in Eva.
Subarunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:06   Link #49
kitten320

Quote:

Which is a shame...
Well if your only problem is with how it dragged out then yes I agree. Anime team over did.
Eren was supposed to transform right after Armin and Mikasa left the tunnel.
Everything that happened after that is pure filler material apart from last punch which as noted differs from manga too.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:08   Link #50
VTHokiePride

Mikasa actually lost a fight this episode. Mikasa even asked Eren if he had feelings for Annie because he couldn't bring himself to transform and fight her.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:08   Link #51
peskylemur25

Quote:

Which is a shame...
Well to be honest in the anime he was crushed under a pile of rock and it take a long time to remove that piece timber from his chest lol. Beside the anime has to stretch it out and add action to keep season finale at the place that provide the best ending for the first season. It an anime so there has to be some difference. And eren character pretty much was the same in this situation in the anime and manga. Doubt disbelief and then revenge/justice. (In the anime it delay the final emotion for 6 minutes which is not to bad. and plan c was cool too. Plan b was expanded too.
peskylemur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:08   Link #52
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I am happy they finally used ətˈæk 0N tάɪtn, as they should, unlike the last episodes, where they used this track in very unfitting scenes. 'Dat transformation and attack in the last minute of the episode!

One more week until I can finally catch up with the manga, yay!
Old 2013-09-21, 21:14   Link #53
peskylemur25

Quote:
Well if your only problem is with how it dragged out then yes I agree. Anime team over did.
Eren was supposed to transform right after Armin and Mikasa left the tunnel.
Everything that happened after that is pure filler material apart from last punch which as noted differs from manga too.
Well it was necessary to let the anime end at the place they wanted to(and would be the best cliffhanger.)

And it was good filler. At least the Nile and Erwin scene was redone to make more sense. And Levi actually said some cool stuff and hanji got that crazy look yay so stop complaining. jean was also funny.

Filler is great in this anime and it make sense and most likely the author agreed to the changes!!!!!! I just dislike stuff they don't put in.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:15   Link #54
Cocoloco

Eren appears to be doing something useful for a change.

By far, Eren's character has been the most disappointing,crybaby,good for nothing i have ever seen in any anime.
All he ever does is doubt himself and cry about it. :sick:
Cocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:18   Link #55
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskylemur25 View Post
Well it was necessary to let the anime end at the place they wanted to(and would be the best cliffhanger.)

And it was good filler. At least the Nile and Erwin scene was redone to make more sense. And Levi actually said some cool stuff and hanji got that crazy look yay so stop complaining. jean was also funny.

Filler is great in this anime and it make sense and most likely the author agreed to the changes!!!!!! I just dislike stuff they don't put in.
While there are good parts like Hanji, there are also bad.

For one anime de-gradated Eren's character as well as his relation with Annie what makes things confusing and puts them on completely different perspective.

The most obvious is that Eren transformed with intent to kill. That never was a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoloco View Post
Eren appears to be doing something useful for a change.

By far, Eren's character has been the most disappointing,crybaby,good for nothing i have ever seen in any anime.
I think you are forgetting Yuki from Mirai Nikki. At least Eren has some shit done. That guy was completely useless.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:18   Link #56
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarunyon View Post
Eren is not the same as Shinji.
He's similar. The anime portrays Eren as someone who is useless - emotional, and indecisive until he turns into a Titan. His only real value is his ability to transform, otherwise he'd have been dead due to his recklessness. Even as a Titan, it's Mikasa that's always saving his ass.

Ditch the epic music and animation, and look at the story itself. Outside of moving a rock, Eren's been pretty much useless the entire time.

He may rage and Shinji may whine, but the key similarity is that neither one of them control their own destiny regardless of how much power they wield.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:22   Link #57
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoloco View Post
"Get in the robotTitan, ShinjiEren."

Or, I'd be complaining about Eren if there wasn't a long track record of hating on Shinji to put Eren in perspective, anime adaptation changes or no.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:26   Link #58
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
He's similar. ....., but the key similarity is that neither one of them control their own destiny regardless of how much power they wield.
True. .... but both of them have this miraculous ability to spark rage and inspiration simultaneously inside and outside off the screen.

Say you disagree. I dare you.

And besides, Eren isn't all that useless if you put this image in context with Mikasa's face replacing Annie's. I am such a romantic.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 21:27   Link #59
peskylemur25

Quote:
While there are good parts like Hanji, there are also bad.

For one anime de-gradated Eren's character as well as his relation with Annie what makes things confusing and puts them on completely different perspective.

The most obvious is that Eren transformed with intent to kill. That never was a case.

I think you are forgetting Yuki from Mirai Nikki. At least Eren has some shit done. That guy was completely useless.
It be funny if the author come out and say this was his idea and then everyone is okay with it. yeah eren is weak but at least he learn from his mistake.
You try watching Korra 6 month later and she still the same. Lol

Dude or girl who plan on reading manga I don't think u should cause then it will be a month long wait. And when the second season is out u won't be surprise.
Old 2013-09-21, 21:29   Link #60
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
He's similar. The anime portrays Eren as someone who is useless - emotional, and indecisive until he turns into a Titan. His only real value is his ability to transform, otherwise he'd have been dead due to his recklessness. Even as a Titan, it's Mikasa that's always saving his ass.

Ditch the epic music and animation, and look at the story itself. Outside of moving a rock, Eren's been pretty much useless the entire time.

He may rage and Shinji may whine, but the key similarity is that neither one of them control their own destiny regardless of how much power they wield.
It IS different. Eren would be like Shinji if he was afraid of fighting normal titans or the female titan, if he never got to know her identity.

However in Eren's case, his world view was shattered. He always thought that the titans and unknown people would be the enemy, but suddenly, FOR THE FIRST TIME as far as we know, someone he trusted has betrayed him. It is a completely unknown experience for him. I mean really... it is not as if Eren was Ethan Hunt...