2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.75%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-11, 00:23   Link #41
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Well Erika's not the type to hold back base on her personality and pretty much if its about swords ryt>?

But well swordsmanship Mibu pretty much did her best~

Is it me or are they making Tatsuya too OP?
Frankly I think they have toned him down in the anime. As we have seen Tatsuya is an OP combat monster, that what attracts a good portion of his fan base. If you can't stand that he is vastly better then most of the rest of the cast then this likely isn't the series for you.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-05-11, 02:14   Link #42
Ickarium

At the least, in her own way, Miyuki is as badass, and Leo and Erika and other friends aren't bad either, if not Miyuki and Tatsuya's level. I won't comment on others as that's future stuff.
Old 2014-05-11, 02:23   Link #43
cyth
Banned

Think I'm gonna drop this show, this episode was just as random as the last one.
Old 2014-05-11, 03:27   Link #44
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Hmm.. Erika vs Mibu was at least interesting to watch.

But that aside, despite (or maybe because of?) the laughably over the top skills of its main cast, the show itself still manages only to present mediocrity.
While the reveal about Erika was somewhat interesting, the resolution to Mibu's conflict as a daft misunderstanding was underwhelming.
Miyuki continues to be a submissive cardboard cutout with nothing going for her and no one else stands out much either, amidst awkward dialogue and unnecessary, grating declarations of how amazeballs everyone is.
And I still want to eradicate that teacher from the face of the earth, she has to be the most obnoxious character of the season

That said, the show still looks pretty. Miyuki's design is gorgeous and her and Erika's magic look sufficiently cool.
I liked the reveal about the sword guy whose name escapes me.
Still less than impressed by this show, but I'll stick around until the next arc at least, if only to see if they invest some budget into facial expressions or if anyone transcends their cardboard cutout conception.
Old 2014-05-11, 04:11   Link #45
kukuru

I think the fact that this show is still too higbrow for some people even as it attempt to cliche and lowbrow it .

The director definitely need to step up, but I think people are confusing culture shock with plot. Especially the continuing ragging of Myuki even as we reach episode 6.

It is one of the most pure Japanese stlye in a while.
Old 2014-05-11, 05:16   Link #46
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
I think the fact that this show is still too higbrow for some people even as it attempt to cliche and lowbrow it .

The director definitely need to step up, but I think people are confusing culture shock with plot. Especially the continuing ragging of Myuki even as we reach episode 6.

It is one of the most pure Japanese stlye in a while.
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, or what you mean by "pure japanese style", but my problem is precisely that it is too cliched and lowbrow compared to what I expected and that the writing seems average.

I fail to see the high brow element in big boobie loli fanservice (although that is the fault of the anime. The teacher looked perfectly fine in the novel illustration that was posted), nor do I consider making yourself a perfect, entirely two-dimensional ideal waifu who does exactly what you want, when you want particularly high brow.
That's about as low as it gets. And no, hiding it in the beginning of a plot does not mean it isn't weakly done.
While her basic characterisation is perfectly fine, the way they chose to portray her is pathetic.
And it bugs me, because it is unnecessary. There's no reason to make her a mouthpiece for what the viewer wants to hear.
So yes, I will criticise her (and others) lack of a believable personality until the writing is improved (if it is). You can consider that "ragging on x" all you like, but it is legitimate criticism of the very mediocre characterisation we have seen so far. The rest of the cast is equally affected, Mibu got a big slab of it this episode herself.

There's also not too much highbrow about Mahouka in general, for that matter. It's hardly going to win a Nobel prize, is it? It may not be entirely air headed, the world seems well thought out and it's not bad for a LN but let's not overstate it's merits. It's regular entertainment, not Tolstoy.

It's quite strange to equal commentary on weak writing with someone's taste apparently not being "highbrow enough" (based on what, exactly?). Arguing that the reason people don't like certain things about this show because they "just don't understand it" and are too stupid to appreciate its genius is frankly ridiculous. But I may have misunderstood what you were trying to say, in which case, I apologise.

Also: I am commenting on the current state of things in the anime, not on any future improvements, development, explanations or things that are immaterial for present purposes. If any novel readers could kindly respect that please.
Old 2014-05-11, 06:55   Link #47
kagato3

I think them cutting a unrelated scene with A-chan at the end of the club week has back fired with that it is a bit clearer as to what's going on although I have seen a few speculation s in the right direction.

@SkullFaerie
Not sure where you are getting the idea Miyuki is someone that will do whatever you say. The anime has shown time and time again she wants to drag her brother in to the spotlight while he just wants to stay in the shadows.

Also remember due to the nature of this being a adaption it has cut a ton of the characterion moments. At this point unless they are directly related to the main plot of the series or arc they have been cut or glossed over.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-05-11, 07:18   Link #48
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Think I'm gonna drop this show, this episode was just as random as the last one.
random?
are we watching same show?

random = out of nowhere and without any foreshadow terrorist attack them

but terrorist was been foreshadow long time ago
-they said organization name
-glasses guy attack tetsuya
-Glasses guy wear the organization flag
-who was club leader of Mibu
-he used bloom vs weed to recruits class 2 to join his cause by lying about equality
- many members wear organization flag
-it look like their real goal was to steal magic school secret data instead of equality
...etc

if you want to drop it than just do it without fake reason
Old 2014-05-11, 07:19   Link #49
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
That was a short terrorist threat I have ever seen after this episode. It seems that Kinoe Tsukasa doesn't have a backup plan and he just abandon his subordinates for his safety. What an asshole kendo club captain he was!

On the other hand, Tatsuya planning to raid Blanche's base of operations is kinda tricky for a Course 2 student. Despite having OP skills in combat, the leader of Blanche might pull some surprises when confronting the First High School students.
Old 2014-05-11, 09:47   Link #50
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
random?
are we watching same show?
Indeed we have, and it sucks.
Quote:
but terrorist was been foreshadow long time ago
-they said organization name
I fail to see how info dumping a terrorist organization's name equals to foreshadowing.
Quote:
-glasses guy attack tetsuya
-Glasses guy wear the organization flag
The guy who was wearing the bike mask? Sorry, didn't read the novels nor am I psychic to have known that when the scene occured. And they revealed his identity during the terror episode. Who the fuck knew that scene had terrorist animosity behind it ...

Quote:
if you want to drop it than just do it without fake reason
There are plenty of reasons to drop it. Part of the randomness, just like this terrorist attack that came out of nowhere, are numerous cliches that I don't find very amusing. Examples include focus shot of dumb teacher's breasts, which wasn't particularly entertaining nor funny nor arousing, they were just there, hanging, begging for some sort of reaction that never came; students acting on their own against all logic, talking about reclaiming supposed manhoods and whatnot (actually, I admit, that made me chuckle deep down inside how horrible it was); one heroine getting away scot-free of punishment because she's a girl and needs to remain in Tatsuya's harem, forever; even things you see in bad Hollywood blockbusters, for example Erika trying to give Mibu her sword to fight her.

My short dismissal was such because the anime doesn't deserve the time for discussion any longer. When even my real-life friends who have read all the novels ask me what do I think of the anime whilst expecting a verbose rebutal because they know it sucks, then you know you have EVERY reason to drop it.
Old 2014-05-11, 09:55   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I agree that the attack was stupid. Since they'd turned students, they already had access, that's why Tatsuya says he's there. (I do wonder why high school students would be given access to "unpublished papers", but whatever...)

Even if they don't have access rights, stealth has got to be a cheaper way to get the research than that showy attack. (Executed right when they knew everybody would be on hand to defend the school, too.)
Old 2014-05-11, 09:59   Link #52
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
That was a short terrorist threat I have ever seen after this episode. It seems that Kinoe Tsukasa doesn't have a backup plan and he just abandon his subordinates for his safety. What an asshole kendo club captain he was!

On the other hand, Tatsuya planning to raid Blanche's base of operations is kinda tricky for a Course 2 student. Despite having OP skills in combat, the leader of Blanche might pull some surprises when confronting the First High School students.
Obviously he doesn't have a backup plan. All his men were beaten and captured. He was the mole in First High so no one knew that he was an enemy and everyone else was captured, of course he's gonna run away.
Old 2014-05-11, 10:10   Link #53
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
I think them cutting a unrelated scene with A-chan at the end of the club week has back fired with that it is a bit clearer as to what's going on although I have seen a few speculation s in the right direction.

@SkullFaerie
Not sure where you are getting the idea Miyuki is someone that will do whatever you say. The anime has shown time and time again she wants to drag her brother in to the spotlight while he just wants to stay in the shadows.

Also remember due to the nature of this being a adaption it has cut a ton of the characterion moments. At this point unless they are directly related to the main plot of the series or arc they have been cut or glossed over.
Not so much whatever you say, as whatever you desire and want to hear. You, the average intended viewer, not Tatsuya.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of intended effect on the average target viewer- who would project themselves onto the male lead.
- his (your) grades are bad: perfect Imouto with more perfect features than anyone in the entire world who has the hots for you mentions at every opportunity that it's because the system can't measure your incredible awesomeness.
- you want to do stuff: breathtakingly beautiful Imouto will follow you wherever and supplement your awesomeness unquestioningly, but never really get in the way of showing how awesome you are. She will merely compliment it, like a nice watch.

Not an unusual thing in this type of medium and teen lit in general, but it makes for poor characterisation.
Miyuki should be a personality in her own right, rather than a device to make the viewer feel good about themselves. Right now, she isn't. As a result, her dialogue is increasingly awkward and she comes across flat as cardboard. Currently, she's reduced to a pretty accessory that makes Tatsuya look cool on the "Tatsuya does cool things" show (I'm exaggerating a bit, as some other people recently got their brief moments, but this still very much feels like the Tatsuya show) and that's just not very engaging to watch.
I'm just sat there thinking, hey, you set up this pretty cool character and this is how you're wasting it.

It's not just her. The rest of the cast doesn't fair much better tbh. It's all an endless litany of "you didn't say I was awesome- I'm awesome" -"No, I meant to say you were awesome." -"What do you mean, I'm not awesome.... Wait, I'm awesome" -"are you as awesome as x?" -"no, I'm more awesome"
The entire thing seems like it has some good ideas but amateurish execution are bogging it down significantly.

And people keep repeating that something or the other was better in the novel- don't worry, we get that the novel readers think so. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. It doesn't affect the quality of the adaption which is what we are watching here
Old 2014-05-11, 10:27   Link #54
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Not so much whatever you say, as whatever you desire and want to hear. You, the average intended viewer, not Tatsuya.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of intended effect on the average target viewer- who would project themselves onto the male lead.
- his (your) grades are bad: perfect Imouto with more perfect features than anyone in the entire world who has the hots for you mentions at every opportunity that it's because the system can't measure your incredible awesomeness.
- you want to do stuff: breathtakingly beautiful Imouto will follow you wherever and supplement your awesomeness unquestioningly, but never really get in the way of showing how awesome you are. She will merely compliment it, like a nice watch.

Not an unusual thing in this type of medium and teen lit in general, but it makes for poor characterisation.
Miyuki should be a personality in her own right, rather than a device to make the viewer feel good about themselves. Right now, she isn't. As a result, her dialogue is increasingly awkward and she comes across flat as cardboard. Currently, she's reduced to a pretty accessory that makes Tatsuya look cool on the "Tatsuya does cool things" show (I'm exaggerating a bit, as some other people recently got their brief moments, but this still very much feels like the Tatsuya show) and that's just not very engaging to watch.
I'm just sat there thinking, hey, you set up this pretty cool character and this is how you're wasting it.

It's not just her. The rest of the cast doesn't fair much better tbh. It's all an endless litany of "you didn't say I was awesome- I'm awesome" -"No, I meant to say you were awesome." -"What do you mean, I'm not awesome.... Wait, I'm awesome" -"are you as awesome as x?" -"no, I'm more awesome"
The entire thing seems like it has some good ideas but amateurish execution are bogging it down significantly.

And people keep repeating that something or the other was better in the novel- don't worry, we get that the novel readers think so. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. It doesn't affect the quality of the adaption which is what we are watching here
I read 11 of the ln volumes (I was bored in the hospital) and I still think the same as you. Miyuki is flat and annoying. The only difference being the LNs give slightly more meat to side characters that'll enable you to like them if you're already favorably predisposed towards them (aka they're your type :P). I fail to see anything remotely high brow about Mahouka, it's basically a brain candy "Tatsuya is so cool" show and it'll appeal to people who like that type. The bad thing is he's not even that cool in this arc, I wish they'd compressed this whole thing in a couple eps tops.
Old 2014-05-11, 11:14   Link #55
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I agree that the attack was stupid. Since they'd turned students, they already had access, that's why Tatsuya says he's there. (I do wonder why high school students would be given access to "unpublished papers", but whatever...)

Even if they don't have access rights, stealth has got to be a cheaper way to get the research than that showy attack. (Executed right when they knew everybody would be on hand to defend the school, too.)
I doubt that students have the ability to download copies of the papers that can be moved off site since they needed what appeared to be machines to break into the system to do so. They remind me of the Microfilm papers and magazines that both my high school and collage had you could read them all day long but there was no way to make copies. Also given the level of importance the papers have I'm willing to bet the rooms are heavily monitored. so short of sending someone with perfect recall in to read as many papers as possible while at the same time trying to be sneeky about it they are going to have to break into the system and likely be flagged by the system and have to deal with what ever forces are sent their way. Instead they did a big showy raid on the other side of the campus to me that sounds like a great way to tie up any campus security.
Old 2014-05-11, 11:16   Link #56
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
The guy who was wearing the bike mask? Sorry, didn't read the novels nor am I psychic to have known that when the scene occured. And they revealed his identity during the terror episode. Who the fuck knew that scene had terrorist animosity behind it ...
The guy who attacked Tatsuya in episode four didn't wear a mask. In fact his face is shown - as that of the kendo club captain. Then his wristband was shown, which was revealed later in the same episode as belonging to Egalite, itself a sub-organisation of the terrorist group Blanche. That you proclaim you didn't see this shows that you either didn't really bother watching it, or that you only "watched" it in order to be able to bash it.
Old 2014-05-11, 11:45   Link #57
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post

Sorry to break it to you, but that's just for a minority of the LN reader

*sigh*.....well, perhaps the director is also one of the guys who didn't dig deep enough to understand and capture the essence of the LN. It is highly possible that he just thought:

"Oh!!! This LN has a beautiful imouto who is a brocon, let's focus on that!!! I hear sibling's love is a thing nowadays!! Just look at SAO and see how well it did!!!"

also, "monologues?? who cares about that thing? I think the viewers prefer more action!! YES!! Let's do that!!"

I'm really not venting anything here, it's a thought of mine when watching the anime
Old 2014-05-11, 12:59   Link #58
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
That you proclaim you didn't see this shows that you either didn't really bother watching it, or that you only "watched" it in order to be able to bash it.
Well, you do have reason to snipe my "character". But I assure you, it was a simple miss. I went back and checked out that episode. It was a one-second flash of his hand that was out of focus. In the earlier scene, his face was obstructed even though he wasn't wearing a mask.

This doesn't change my opinion that the show sucks and that the terrorist attack itself (however present the danger) wasn't foreshadowed enough. Since I like badass leads, the show was running on expense of my patience, which unfortunately ran out, no thanks to the above-mentioned facts. I can also assure you that I was looking forward to this show the most this season and that I gave it big points over shows like No Game No Life in the beginning. With bad direction, bad pacing, below average animation for a show of this profile, and annoying cliche female characters, the show's got only one thing going for it (Tatsuya), but even that quality I begin questioning, since as others have said everything is built to hype the man up, leaving everything else subpar in execution.

But of course, you can further the "us vs. them" mentality if you want, with "this show is awesome because the haters don't bother paying attention". Well we would bother paying more attention if we didn't have to roll our eyes every few minutes because we think we're wasting our precious time on promises of quality that don't come.
Old 2014-05-11, 13:11   Link #59
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
His face was obstructed even though he wasn't wearing a mask in the earlier scene.
Nope, his face is clearly visible if you look slightly more closely. At minute 7:16 you can see a pair of glasses, as well as a haircut that is exactly the same as the kendo club captain. And your objection that the attack wasn't foreshadowed enough is shaky in my opinion. First of all, the terrorist link is established in episode 4 and in episode 5 Tatsuya goes to Kokonoe-sensei to get more information, where it is established, that the kendo club captain's adopted brother is the leader of the terrorist cell in that area. Then during that conversation you see the frame cutting to a gathering of those terrorists, where they get the rings handed to them. That's as clear as it can get to saying some intervention by those terrorists will happen, without including a statement "Tomorrow we will blow up the school and steal valuable research data!".
Old 2014-05-11, 13:16   Link #60
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

They can read it, but they aren't allowed to take them off campus or make copies. This is the nations cutting edge research on magic technology.
Closed Thread