Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-26, 15:03   Link #41
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
If you think deeper, Sports itself is not completely clean and fair to begin with. Doping incidents and corrupted practices are still common and being uncovered.

It's your choice if you really want to let them barred you from enjoying the performance of the people involved.
To be honest, I think people take all these sports a bit too seriously... The training is so extreme and studied that they may as well just throw the door open to (safe) performance enhancing drugs. The competition has long lost it's "amateur" credibility. You pretty much need to treat training like a full time job to get anywhere. When so much science already is involved in training (giving athletes supplements, drinks, etc.) it's not too different to just allow drugs.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 15:59   Link #42
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikercups View Post
This Olympics will be pretty epic for me, especially the Lochte-Phelps rivalry, also looking forward to track and field and soccer (already happening lol)
I don't care which of these two win -- as long as they pull multiple 1-2 wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
True, but at least it's more interesting to watch then 10 guys running in a straight line (I can see that at my local school's sports day...)
10 guys who are the best at it. For some bias, I happen to be a runner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
The judging in figure skating has always been screwed up but well....the more artistic sports all have this weakness. Just have to deal with it I suppose...

Worth it for such graceful spectacles.
Women's (er Girl's) Gymnastics gives many the privilege of looking @ underage girls - without feeling guilty. And, I mean, not to knock on Gymnastics -- I had been watching this event since... oh... the days of Kim Zmeskal. Despite her inability to perform well @ Barcelona, she was still one of my favorites.

This time around: I don't know of any US gymnast - male or female. Of course, I'll find out who's who. The Olympics are really the only time I'd pay attention to Gymnastics, Track and Field, and Swimming combined. I've seen bits of every Olympics since 1988; and these are the big 3 I look forward to.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 19:58   Link #43
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Excited for Paul McCartney's performance at the Olympics!!!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 19:59   Link #44
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I am beyond-belief jealous of one of my friends at school. He and five other students from our College of Communications got to London on Sunday on one of the chartered Team USA jets from New York. They're officially part of the Team USA press cadre and will be there for the entirety of the Olympics. He's been posting pictures and stuff from the pressers the last few days. Just rubbing it in. lol

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 21:25   Link #45
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
Excited for Paul McCartney's performance at the Olympics!!!
I can understand your enthusiasm in a way. My favorite music artist are two guys in an electronic music duo (Underworld) and they were appointed music directors for London 2012. They are working with a friend (Danny Boyle) who worked with them on a soundtrack for a movie or play (I forget which). But they are having a heavy hand in the music for the opening ceremony. Immediately after the opening ceremony, the music will be available on their online store and physical copies will be available August 6th. 2 CDs worth of music.

An article talking about them (from last year): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...directors.html
Old 2012-07-26, 21:39   Link #46
Kyuu
=^^=

I had realized: the TV airing in the US is delayed. So, it's a re-airing. Well... gotta turnw to watch via the Internets.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 06:00   Link #47
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I had realized: the TV airing in the US is delayed. So, it's a re-airing. Well... gotta turnw to watch via the Internets.
My company's Internet filter better not block streaming video websites (I have hope; it doesn't block some sites I was SURE it would block) because the last two weeks of my internship are going to be filled with closing out two projects (one by this Tuesday) and lots of watching events live rather than waiting until the primetime NBC tape-delay.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2012-07-27 at 06:47.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 09:02   Link #48
Tom Bombadil

Anybody know a good online site to view the opening ceremony online?
Old 2012-07-27, 09:42   Link #49
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I am beyond-belief jealous of one of my friends at school. He and five other students from our College of Communications got to London on Sunday on one of the chartered Team USA jets from New York. They're officially part of the Team USA press cadre and will be there for the entirety of the Olympics. He's been posting pictures and stuff from the pressers the last few days. Just rubbing it in. lol
Dang, that's minted.

Not quite the same, but I went to the football yesterday at Old Trafford, Manchester - definitely a different atmosphere to what I'm used to at Huddersfield Town matches. Both games were decent (the first better than the second, depressingly) - but was certainly an experience I'm not forgetting in a hurry
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 11:26   Link #50
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Anybody know a good online site to view the opening ceremony online?
No idea if it will be region-blocked, but you might want to try the official IOC Olympic YouTube channel:

Social media has come a long way indeed in just four short years...
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 12:43   Link #51
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
No idea if it will be region-blocked, but you might want to try the official IOC Olympic YouTube channel:

Spoiler for size:

That channel is blocked in Europe and the USA.

I knew it wouldn't be so easy. Damn you IP overlords!
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 12:48   Link #52
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Going to watch the ceremony live on TV tonight. If I am not mistaken, it begins at 8.50pm (BBC channel).

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 14:50   Link #53
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Still remember all the emotion of 2 years ago, the way the Winter Games started with so much promise, the early tragedy, the horrible weather, that first rough week for Canada where it looked like it would instead be the U.S going home with all the glory. Then the cloud cover broke and at the same time my home country came alive and just started winning gold after gold and then that Mens Ice Hockey Medal match that overshadowed even that and set a new record. It felt like I lived and witnessed a legend of perserverance and triumph for perhaps the second time in my life.

I doubt these Olympics can come as close to the roller coaster of emotion that was 2010, but I do look forward to seeing what becomes of Bolt and will probably be following some of the athletics, pool, fencing (if I can find it) and wrestling.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 15:21   Link #54
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Watching it right now, and the most hilarious part for me is when the performers remove the grass to signal the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Quite a scene to behold, but chaotic.

My friend who is volunteering in the Olympics told me that there is only one main hairdresser for ALL the performers, and they (the volunteers) have to help out with the hair. HAHA.

Oh yeah, during the dress rehearsal, the Queen was played by an Asian

Old 2012-07-27, 15:33   Link #55
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Was doing something else so when the Bond theme just burst out, I couldn't help but laugh.

Did enjoy the Industrial Revolution that was going on before.

I'm watching it live from BBC Website but might be blocked outside UK.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 15:39   Link #56
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I screamed when Daniel Craig appeared. They were playing James Bond theme song during the rehearsal, but I did not expect that Daniel Craig would make an appearance.

NHS performers are dancing now. Am anticipating ghosts and Mary Poppins to reveal themselves any time now after JK Rowling finishes her speech.

Old 2012-07-27, 15:45   Link #57
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Industrial revolution was pretty cool. Disappointed they didn't continue with the whole progressing through history theme more.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 15:47   Link #58
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

Thanks. Although the youtube link doesn't work directly, it leads me to a webpage that list all the broadcasters in the world.

The regional scheme is really really strict for this.
Old 2012-07-27, 15:47   Link #59
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

That was Voldemort?

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 15:48   Link #60
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, I didn't know that was Voldemort until the MC said so

Mr Bean! Hahahaha, I LOL hard when he is toying around with his phone whilst playing the piano.

Tags
olympics