4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.64%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-17, 17:34   Link #41
The Green One

Right after Miyuki froze her opponents her expression show she got too angry and went too far. She's not a solider and the thought that she had actually killed them in her anger clearly distressed her and she felt guilty. Towards the end of the episode she was clearly relieved when Tatsuya confirmed her victims survived.

As far as I can tell Miyuki doesn't have good emotional control and that sometimes inhibits her magic control. Though this time she just went to far because she got pissed that random terrorist #7 tried to shank her brother in the back with a knife. Not that Tatsuya would of had any trouble defending himself.
Old 2014-05-17, 17:46   Link #42
Irisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Right after Miyuki froze her opponents her expression show she got too angry and went too far. She's not a solider and the thought that she had actually killed them in her anger clearly distressed her and she felt guilty. Towards the end of the episode she was clearly relieved when Tatsuya confirmed her victims survived.

As far as I can tell Miyuki doesn't have good emotional control and that sometimes inhibits her magic control. Though this time she just went to far because she got pissed that random terrorist #7 tried to shank her brother in the back with a knife. Not that Tatsuya would of had any trouble defending himself.
Yeah, but she separately froze that guy first, so the "OMG I killed someone?!" realization (as far as I could tell, he looked the same as the ones she thought she killed) should have hit her and cooled her temper before she finished casting Niflheim.

In any case, these kids need a better counselor (Moeboobs-sensei is worthless if she keeps being submissive with students as she is with Tatsuya) if at least two of them can so easily work themselves into a killing rage (and that all the students at the terrorist compound could relatively unfazed stand there after they had potentially killed people).
Old 2014-05-17, 17:48   Link #43
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
Yeah, but she separately froze that guy first, so the "OMG I killed someone?!" realization (as far as I could tell, he looked the same as the ones she thought she killed) should have hit her and cooled her temper before she finished casting Niflheim.

In any case, these kids need a better counselor (Moeboobs-sensei is worthless if she keeps being submissive with students as she is with Tatsuya) if at least two of them can so easily work themselves into a killing rage (and that all the students at the terrorist compound could relatively unfazed stand there after they had potentially killed people).
Or she felt that the knife guy deserved it for trying, admittedly pitifully, to kill Tatsuya, and the others who did nothing but stand there and cower in terror did not deserve it when she used Nifelheim on them leading to the "My God what have I done?" reaction.
Old 2014-05-17, 17:54   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
They need a place to store their ammunition and get together in a place that won't garner suspicion.
- But there's no need for everyone to be gathered there at all times.
- We find terrorists weapon caches once in a while. Do you know where? People's houses. In fact, people going in and out of "abandoned warehouses" is suspicious. Unless maybe they're hobos, but those guys didn't look like hobos, did they?

Quote:
And that's not even going into how horribly stupid any opponent of Tatsuya's side was (especially since if someone interrupted that Panzer spell with their macguffinite [I hope that it would at least work on non-Tatsuya mages] just before the students hit the fence, they would have gone splat and the terrorists would have been safe. Instead, no one is even out checking to see for any enemies/random hikers passing by).
It's a military SUV, probably armored. They'd have been fine, aside from a few dents on the car.

Plus, if someone had been there, Tatsuya would have warned them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestuser View Post
the thing is they did not know they were anyone coming with them i mean how they suppose to know there were other when all of there men were capture in the school
Which is, in itself, a pretty big clue the fuzz are coming and it's time to run.

Quote:
and they launch a attack right after the terrorist so they did not get the information properly and they thought they were normal high school student because no one know of tatsuya power other than cast jamming and martial arts with the episode shown oh no one saw tatsuya magic other than mibu which switch sides and the terrorist was capture so they only knew that there plan failed and nothing else and there were no one that reported back so they all though they were just high school student
Katsuto's from a famous family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

I don't call stockpiling tons of antinite and weaponry as not being prepared. There's something strange about Tatsuya's powers in this episode that allowed him to use "magic" despite the cast-jamming. Any normal magician would have been killed by the combination of that and the weaponry they had on them.
A normal magicians would have come with the police. Enough men to overwhelm the terrorists.
Old 2014-05-17, 17:54   Link #45
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post

Nothing at all to do with being a soldier or not, a soldier or a civilian alike wouldn't normally think this is an acceptable way to react. Plus, its no good to anyone if she felt "distressed" after.

A lot of people don't have good control of their emotions. That doesn't mean it's a normal reaction to kill a bunch of dudes that are no threat whatsoever. Unless you're Yuuno Gasai's long lost sister.
It's another case of the show being over the top ridiculous, trying to prove some imaginary coolness factor and/or failing to portray Miyuki and Tatsuya in any likeable or believable manner.
Old 2014-05-17, 17:56   Link #46
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Nothing at all to do with being a soldier or not, a soldier or a civilian alike wouldn't normally think this is an acceptable way to react. Plus, its no good to anyone if she felt "distressed" after.
"Plus, its no good to anyone if she felt "distressed" after." is irrelevant because it's not about the victims so much as it's about how Miyuki feels and why she feels that way. 'How' is pretty clear; 'why' is something we can only speculate about.

Quote:
A lot of people don't have good control of their emotions. That doesn't mean it's a normal reaction to kill a bunch of dudes that are no threat whatsoever. Unless you're Yuuno Gasai's long lost sister.
It's another case of the show being over the top ridiculous, trying to prove some imaginary coolness factor and/or failing to portray Miyuki and Tatsuya in any likeable or believable manner.
They're not meant to be 'normal people', or even 'normal magicians', so why would they be believable?

If you need backstory, then this show/story probably isn't for you, given how it seems to be taking its time revealing all of it.

As for 'likeable', that's probably a matter of taste. I personally quite like Tatsuya's sense of humour, e.g. How he double-teamed with Erika to troll Kirihara in this episode. YMMV, and that's completely fine. But if you are finding nothing to like in this series, then why keep torturing yourself?

Quote:
Yeah, but she separately froze that guy first, so the "OMG I killed someone?!" realization (as far as I could tell, he looked the same as the ones she thought she killed) should have hit her and cooled her temper before she finished casting Niflheim..
I don't see how this is necessarily true. We've already been shown how Miyuki gets annoyed even by the slightest things, so long as they concern Tatsuya, so expecting her anger to subside just because she's taken out one enemy is a little unrealistic to me.

Also, realisations like "OMG I killed someone" might only sink in when the person has had time to reflect on it. It might be similar to a hit-and-run: one's first reaction might be to keep going, to keep doing whatever action one was doing before.

So, consider the situation: there are enemies around - you've taken out one of them, and the others might have similar weapons (magicians can still be hurt by normal weapons, after all). Would you stop to think about what you just did/the situation, or would you deal with what's in front of you first? Miyuki has been consistently shown to do the latter (Ep 6 and here), so at the very least, it's not inconsistent with her character.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2014-05-17 at 18:16.
Old 2014-05-17, 18:06   Link #47
The Green One

Quote:

How is showing regret over overreacting in a combat situation and potentially using lethal force when it was unnecessary not believable? I get that you don't like the show currently for various reasons and I respect those reasons, but please refrain from twisting the facts.
Old 2014-05-17, 18:09   Link #48
HandofFate

This is was a decent episode. They added some questionable scenes, and added some good ones too. They also removed some lines that I felt was really overplaying the scenes, so that was good too. All in all, decent wrap up episode, with some hints of Tatsuya and Miyuki's power.

I liked that they showed Kirihara and Katsuto doing some fighting from the back, where in the LN they just appeared out of nowhere, and Kirihara smacks the leader.

Only thing that was weird to me was them showing Miyuki distressed at freezing the guy(s) that threw a knife @ Tatsuya. No idea if they're trying to make her seem more moe and delicate, but that didn't happen. Despite a few people here that seem to be focused on it, Miyuki doesn't give a crap about anyone that has malice towards her brother. If they all fell and cracked into a bunch of ice cubes, she wouldn't care.

I laughed at the last scene with Tatsuya just going "better get to class, don't want to end up taking make-up lessons on the weekends" Such a stock lines to finish the episode or an arc lol.
Old 2014-05-17, 18:19   Link #49
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The most important point when it comes to battle is information. "Know thine enemy" you know?
The fact they shelter themselves in this fashion is awkward as hell: they have no way to assess how many magicians are coming at them, nor -when-, and there is little to no way for them to ambush in this fashion (even if Tatsuya has the ability to render ambush useless).

The terrorists were basically making themselves sitting ducks because they are packed in the same perimeter, which is moronic at best.
You need platoons to effectively avoid major loss from a single massive attack. Several groups with effective perimeter and communication network would allow support and possibility of two pronged attacks.

Really, a single conventional grenade or a bombard spell would have been enough to wipe all of them without any possible retaliation. In fact, Tatsuya showing up like that was ludicrous in my book. It would have been far more pragmatic and effective to have Miyuki launching an AOE spell from afar, especially he could asses how many terrorists were camping and the distance between them.
For all we knew, they had cameras or sensors set up outside. This may be an abandoned facility, but there's no guarantee that there wouldn't be passerby. Posting patrols outside would have given them away. They also had antinite to deal with magicians so it wasn't really a bad move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Villains were so bad.
Plan A failed because Tatsuya could deal with the hypnosis magic.
No problem with that part, because Tsukasa Hajime had insufficient information about Tatsuya's abilities. Normally you'd have Plan B as backup in case Plan A fails, Tsukasa's Plan B was to run away screaming?
They regroup and try an improvised Plan C, which was to use Antinite's Cast Jamming to seal magic. During the attack on First High it's already known that the enemy possesses Antinite and is capable of using Cast Jamming and the Shiba siblings boldly entered from the front. You'd assume they came prepared and already had counter-measures for Cast Jamming, but again Tsukasa screams when Tatsuya 'suddenly' deals with Cast Jamming like it's nothing.

Kirihara's scenes were decent, but somehow it looked like a mix between Star Wars (light saber) and Naruto.
Juumonji doing his best Gandalf impression of "You shall not pass!"?
There is no countermeasure for antinite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
This is was a decent episode. They added some questionable scenes, and added some good ones too. They also removed some lines that I felt was really overplaying the scenes, so that was good too. All in all, decent wrap up episode, with some hints of Tatsuya and Miyuki's power.

I liked that they showed Kirihara and Katsuto doing some fighting from the back, where in the LN they just appeared out of nowhere, and Kirihara smacks the leader.

Only thing that was weird to me was them showing Miyuki distressed at freezing the guy(s) that threw a knife @ Tatsuya. No idea if they're trying to make her seem more moe and delicate, but that didn't happen. Despite a few people here that seem to be focused on it, Miyuki doesn't give a crap about anyone that has malice towards her brother. If they all fell and cracked into a bunch of ice cubes, she wouldn't care.
I really like how they're building up Kirihara to be some loyal gangster follower of Tatsuya.
Old 2014-05-17, 18:29   Link #50
HandofFate

Yea, I agree about the opposition this arc.
The terrorist were all bad @ being terrorist. That's what they were, they're small fry. Barely above thug gangster levels. I don't necessary see it as bad writing. They were in over their head, and bit the wrong tail. That's it.

Hopefully after this, they seek a career change. I doubt the terrorist healthcare plan covers severe frostbite.
Old 2014-05-17, 18:36   Link #51
millie10468

Quote:
Yea, I agree about the opposition this arc.
The terrorist were all bad @ being terrorist. That's what they were, they're small fry. Barely above thug gangster levels. I don't necessary see it as bad writing. They were in over their head, and bit the wrong tail. That's it.

Hopefully after this, they seek a career change. I doubt the terrorist healthcare plan covers severe frostbite.
Best summation of this arc I've seen so far

But it might hit an iceberg...
Old 2014-05-17, 18:45   Link #52
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Only thing that was weird to me was them showing Miyuki distressed at freezing the guy(s) that threw a knife @ Tatsuya. No idea if they're trying to make her seem more moe and delicate, but that didn't happen. Despite a few people here that seem to be focused on it, Miyuki doesn't give a crap about anyone that has malice towards her brother. If they all fell and cracked into a bunch of ice cubes, she wouldn't care..
Well, it looked more like she got out of control, as if she went into some kind of state or zone. Seemed like what she was afraid of was not the intent of hurting those people, its that she lost herself in hurting those people. At least, that's the impression I got anyways =0\.

Old 2014-05-17, 18:45   Link #53
Kakurin
大佐

I can't say I'm in full agreement concerning the execution of some scenes (Tatsuya simply strolling through them was strange to see, could have been better done in complement with the shock / surprise of the terrorists seeing their "leader" abandon them). Also, the lack of explanations may cause some viewers to get utterly confused at what's going on. Like the antinite not working on Tatsuya.

Aside from that, Erika was just hilarious in the second part of the episode. That voice rolling around while trolling Mibu and Kirihaya was just great.
Now I hope we'll start getting towards more serious things with the next arc. The PV posted in the general thread already looked pretty nice. Masaki seems to some serious opposition, as opposed to the small fry of the introductory arc.
Old 2014-05-17, 19:04   Link #54
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

for first arc, this is quite good beginning
I'm okay with it...

the only thing I still don't understand is Tatsuya's power... He is like a walking robot... with good radar and ability to shoot waves.. but how could he break those guns? psychokinetic stuff?

Miyuki showed that she is the only one who could walk together in par with Tatsuya.. that Niflheim magic is awesome

Mibu is moe though... I want her to be a good contender for Miyuki but unfortunately that brute guy already claimed her
I also shocked because I don't expect a highschool student would cut someone's hand... wow!

anyway.... this Suzaku-wanna-be looks cocky and arrogant... let's see his performance in next arc
Old 2014-05-17, 19:09   Link #55
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
but how could he break those guns? psychokinetic stuff?
The LNs delivered the explanation for that in the arc, but for time and content reasons the anime obviously cut down on infodumps. Essentially it is connected to his personal magic (personal magic meaning like Leo's ability to create an armour using magic).
Old 2014-05-17, 20:41   Link #56
My Zodiac Aries

Quote:
Frankly, the whole deal with Tatsuya being too overpowered is a serious issue here, or if people prefer, the antagonist incompetence was even more crude to Tatsuya acting like a one man army.
Tatsuya god power and his smart brain also irritates me. Read the LN up to volume 13 and I became more dislike him. But I don't really care about that tatsuya is not my favourite chara . Luckily his enemy will be smarter later. He has power but power alone can't always save the day because more and more complex issue.
Old 2014-05-17, 20:50   Link #57
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

finally, next week we get to the good part. i'm not a fan of how they're underplaying so much stuff. but i suppose its what they have to do, because a long explanation of how Tatsuya does what he does and what Miyuki is capable of wouldn't quite fit into the anime. the anime's job is to get people to get the novel. it got me to read all the volumes out so far, so i guess its doing its job.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2014-05-17, 20:51   Link #58
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Mibu Saya: "I don't think I can ever be good enough for Tatsuya, so I'll settle for the other guy"

That's pretty much sums it up, If I was Kirihara, I'd probably be pissed... lol
Old 2014-05-17, 21:50   Link #59
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post

There is no countermeasure for antinite.

1 grenade would have coutermeasured it with no problem.
Old 2014-05-17, 22:01   Link #60
novalysis

Quote:
The most important point when it comes to battle is information. "Know thine enemy" you know?
The fact they shelter themselves in this fashion is awkward as hell: they have no way to assess how many magicians are coming at them, nor -when-, and there is little to no way for them to ambush in this fashion (even if Tatsuya has the ability to render ambush useless).

The terrorists were basically making themselves sitting ducks because they are packed in the same perimeter, which is moronic at best.
You need platoons to effectively avoid major loss from a single massive attack. Several groups with effective perimeter and communication network would allow support and possibility of two pronged attacks.

Really, a single conventional grenade or a bombard spell would have been enough to wipe all of them without any possible retaliation. In fact, Tatsuya showing up like that was ludicrous in my book. It would have been far more pragmatic and effective to have Miyuki launching an AOE spell from afar, especially he could asses how many terrorists were camping and the distance between them.
Firstly I do not think that the terrorists were expecting a counter attack that quickly, so laxity was quite believable. In any case , these were amateurs way over their head.For all we know, the premises would have been vacated during the night anyway- they just did not realize how fast the attack would come.

Secondly, I do not see why the terrorist would bother putting up patrols. Firstly, it would make it too obvious that something is up. Secondly, there are less obtrusive means of surveillance such as cameras.

Finally, Miyuki cannot AOE without line of sight. Nor is she inclined to exercise her powers unless she must. Finally, she likes showing Tatsuya's powers off.
Closed Thread