AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Old 2014-10-07, 23:32   Link #41
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Wow. Hopefully that comes across as less Chuuni to Japanese viewers than it does to me.

Does her given name refer to a garment for dancing then? Or is it something about the way her surname and her given name connect that bring the "garment" part into the equation?
Her name is Mai, written as 舞衣. It literally means Dancing Garment, which could be a first name for anyone.

Seriously, her full name Dancing Garment of the Crested Ibis Feather sounds like a special item you get in MMOs.

But, with very few exceptions, the rest of the characters' names are kind of bland.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 00:12   Link #42
Darthtabby

Is it customary to link the meanings of a person's surname and given name together in Japan, or are they usually treated as separate entities?

Also, I'm a bit confused. Why is the series title pronounced as "Mai-HiME/My-HiME" when it only uses one of the two characters that make up Mai's given name?
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 00:24   Link #43
Tak

Quote:
Is it customary to link the meanings of a person's surname and given name together in Japan, or are they usually treated as separate entities?
That depends. Creative individuals could link it, or they could leave it alone. Same thing with Chinese names.

Quote:
Also, I'm a bit confused. Why is the series title pronounced as "Mai-HiME/My-HiME" when it only uses one of the two characters that make up Mai's given name?
Mai can be written as 舞衣 (dancing garment) or just 舞 (dance) amongst others. Of course, you can make the connection that this series is about HiME who dances (in battle).

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2014-10-08, 10:25   Link #44
Darthtabby

Somehow that feels like it weakens Mai's connection with the series title a little...

We should probably get back to discussing the contents of the episode itself soon, but I have a couple other name related questions.

Firstly, does Mai's name refer to a garment for dancing in, or a garment that is dancing (with movement)?

Secondly, I'd read that the meaning of Natsuki's name is significant in light of
Spoiler:
Old 2014-10-08, 11:10   Link #45
Tak

Quote:
Firstly, does Mai's name refer to a garment for dancing in, or a garment that is dancing (with movement)?
It could be both. Dancing garment, or garment for dancing. Though as you are probably aware by now, literal translations can often be confusing.

As for the mayonnaise girl, her name written in Kanji is 夏姫, meaning summer princess. This was the name given to her by her mother, because Natsuki was born in August. However, due to her father's preferences, the name is written as なつき, in Hiragana.

Natsuki's mother would often refer to Natsuki as my princess (My-Hime).

Her last name Kuga (玖我), doesn't really have a meaning. Ku (玖), means 'black jade' or the number 'nine'. Ga (我) means 'I'.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2014-10-08 at 11:27.
Old 2014-10-12, 21:31   Link #46
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...wow, Mai has a pretty awesome name.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-13, 22:58   Link #47
Tak

Episode 3.

Initial thoughts and comments

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images

Images

Images

Images

Images

Images

Images

- Tak

Old 2014-10-13, 23:08   Link #48
Darthtabby

You know Tak, I was going to post early tonight to pre-empt you, and you still beat me to the punch...

Anyhow, I encourage people who didn't have time to participate in last week's discussion to commenting last week to post their thoughts about Episode Two if they wish to do so.

Episode Three: "Dance of Flames/Star's Oath"

Here's this week's quote from the director's interview with Wizard magazine:

Quote:
Here’s where Mai’s CHILD appears. It’s actually a fire god from Japanese mythology. When Kagutsuchi blew away half the mountain, Mai was granted this incredible power without her realizing what she was getting herself into. I also wanted to make sure that viewers would be asking themselves “What kind of school is this?” I wanted to stir their desire to see what’s happening beneath the surface.
This week's episode kicks off with Mai's first battle as a HiME. She's clearly winging it, but her resolve to protect her brother shines through nonetheless. I like the way this series focuses on its characters even when its doing flashy battle scenes.

I absolutely love Kagutsuchi. He's got a gorgeous looking design, and he's totally moe. I kind of wish I could get a good figure of him. Or maybe a plushy.

The rest of the episode concludes what I consider to be the series introductory arc. There's some more worldbuilding, Mai and Mikoto become roommates, and we get hints about Mai's motivations. There's also some humor. I really like the bit where Yuiichi teases Mai about being possessed by a demon and her response is "you saw?!" While it hasn't been introduced yet I think the place Yuiichi mentions that will do an exorcism "cheap" is a reference to the shrine run by Shiho's grandfather.

Next week's episode is "Mischief of the Wind" -perhaps the most perverted episode in the entire series.
Old 2014-10-14, 13:38   Link #49
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I absolutely love Kagutsuchi. He's got a gorgeous looking design, and he's totally moe. I kind of wish I could get a good figure of him. Or maybe a plushy.
Me too.

Images

- Tak

Old 2014-10-14, 21:30   Link #50
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Episode 3.

Images
I take it Level 4 English Proficiency is considered pretty good?
Old 2014-10-14, 21:47   Link #51
Tak

Its considered intermediate, with capacity for everyday conversation.

- Tak

Old 2014-10-16, 18:26   Link #52
Darthtabby

Would it be considered particularly unusual for a high school student to be rated as having that level of proficiency?

I don't remember Mai ever trying to speak English in the series.
Old 2014-10-16, 18:50   Link #53
Tak

Yes and no. Most proficiency test in Japan for public schools aren't based on your ability to speak & pronounce correct English, but by based on your ability to read & write.

Quote:
I don't remember Mai ever trying to speak English in the series.
No, thus why I said take it with a grain of salt. Even if she did speak... it would have sounded terrible.

With few exceptions, every time VAs try to speak another language on anime, its very cringe-worthy.

- Tak

Old 2014-10-20, 22:21   Link #54
Tak

Episode 4.

Initial thoughts and comments.

Images

Images

Images

Images

Images

- Tak

Old 2014-10-21, 00:00   Link #55
Darthtabby

Episode 4: "Mischief of the Wind"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Magazine Interview with Masakazu Ohara
Why do an episode about an Orphan that steals underwear? Basically, we were looking for an Orphan to show some habit or addiction that humans wouldn’t expect. We also made this episode very lighthearted to create contrast with the more shocking elements later on.
This is by far the most ecchi episode in the entire series. Thankfully it's also pretty well done. I'm not normally that big on ecchi humor, but Natsuki's valiant attempt to reach a place where she could obtain replacements for her stolen panties before anyone noticed she wasn't wearing anything under her short anime style skirt is pretty memorable. How often does an armed standoff get defused by a dramatic gust of wind? Or a character pass out from an explosive nosebleed?

Actually one thing I found rather funny is how Mai of all people ends up laughing at Natsuki's expense. You know you're the series' butt monkey when even someone as nice as Mai ends up laughing at your misfortune.

While this is primarily a light comedy episode, there are still some important developments. Mai manages to settle the dispute between Natsuki and Mikoto, and there's a hint that there might be a reason why the HiME were brought to Fuka aside from just fighting orphans. I believe this is also the episode where we're introduced to Midori.
Old 2014-10-24, 19:52   Link #56
Darthtabby

Since this week's episode is relatively light on big plot developments (and is also the most perverted episode in the series) this seemed like a good week to post this video. It's apparently the first trailer Sunrise ever released for Mai-HiME.

Aside from the higher level of an service, you may notice that the colors in this trailer seem rather washed out in comparison to the ones used in the actual series. I usually focus more on discussing Mai-HiME's story and characters rather than its aesthetics, but one thing I do feel is that use of color is a very significant part of the series' aesthetic.
Old 2014-10-26, 14:17   Link #57
Shyni

Those alternate color schemes do have a "non-final design" feel. Or maybe "palette-swap plaayer 2 character" feel.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 15:13   Link #58
Darthtabby

I was actually referring to the use of color overall, not just for the characters. Character wise its actually largely the clothing that changed though there were a few tweaks with hair and eye colors.

I actually found a piece of artwork that used the older designs. Interestingly it shows the six characters who were introduced in the first episode.
Images

There's also this interesting image from one of the artbooks which features the "final" hair and eye colors with the "developmental" uniforms.

Images

I'm kind of wondering if the footage in that "trailer" was actually done up as a "pitch" for the project. The DVDs I own for the 2007 series Rocket Girls includes something similar and bill it as a "pilot episode."
Old 2014-10-27, 17:11   Link #59
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Fun fact:

The Sword in Kagutsuchi's mouth is actually the Totsuka-no-Tsurugi [十拳剣] "Sword of Length Ten Times Its Handle". Note that this sword is different from the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi or rather, Ama-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven". I had always thought that the sword was the Kusanagi but looking it up again, I re-discovered this.
Old 2014-10-27, 19:15   Link #60
Darthtabby

That sword is definitely not ten times the length of it's handle. :P

I don't know how accurate wikipedia is in this case, but it seems to indicate that there are several swords of that size in Japanese mythology and the one used to kill the mythological Kagutsuchi was called "Ame no Ohabari" (天之尾羽張 -Heaven's Tail Feather).