AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-08-05, 19:51   Link #41
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
In that sense, even what the illegal doctor is doing doesn't really feel that illegal
well, he is taking money from him, unless it's the debt for the treatment but I doubt it.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-05, 21:17   Link #42
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I don't know that we're "supposed to" think one way or the other. Maybe it's enough just to consider the question.

He reminds me very much of my nephew, or if I'm being honest, myself. The best answer, I think, would be to work with him on coping strategies and teaching him how to live in the world with other people. But that takes a lot of time and a lot of effort, and gee wouldn't it be so much easier if we could "retune" him? Don't we have it easier in the real world with drugs that supposedly do the same? But is that really better? That question might be the real point here.
It's posts like this that make me wish the old upvoting system was still in place.

Make no mistake, what was done to Yuta was not for his benefit but that of his mother and his school. Because actually working with him as he truly is would just, you know, be too much work. Is this a commentary on the real world? AI no Idenshi is not heavy-handed in that regard, so people can make up their own minds.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-06, 02:05   Link #43
Eater of All
NOM

Still loving this show, but the nitpicky part of me questions the premise that humanoids can be so easily tuned by random doctors, given the security implications. Can humanoids be tuned against their will by strapping them to a chair and plugging the cable to their head? Be reprogrammed into slaves or killing machines? Perhaps if their neural access is normally locked or encrypted, and is unlocked based on their "willingness" to be operated on, can this will be manipulated or hacked and worked around? If there's a vulnerability do they need to be patched, like how humans get vaccines?

Would interesting to see if the show explores this, but I'm also fine with it just focusing on presenting the moral dilemmas rather than veer into hard scifi territory.
Old 2023-08-06, 02:21   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Still loving this show, but the nitpicky part of me questions the premise that humanoids can be so easily tuned by random doctors, given the security implications. Can humanoids be tuned against their will by strapping them to a chair and plugging the cable to their head? Be reprogrammed into slaves or killing machines? Perhaps if their neural access is normally locked or encrypted, and is unlocked based on their "willingness" to be operated on, can this will be manipulated or hacked and worked around? If there's a vulnerability do they need to be patched, like how humans get vaccines?

Would interesting to see if the show explores this, but I'm also fine with it just focusing on presenting the moral dilemmas rather than veer into hard scifi territory.
Such manipulations are probably possible, and part of why the MC's mom is in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's posts like this that make me wish the old upvoting system was still in place.

Make no mistake, what was done to Yuta was not for his benefit but that of his mother and his school. Because actually working with him as he truly is would just, you know, be too much work. Is this a commentary on the real world? AI no Idenshi is not heavy-handed in that regard, so people can make up their own minds.
That sounds like "People with mental health issues, no matter how serious, should never take medicines. They should work on themselves with the help of therapists."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-06, 02:52   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It really doesn't sound anything like that at all.
Old 2023-08-06, 05:23   Link #46
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It really doesn't sound anything like that at all.
Then if instead of the robot brain surgery he got, he'd been given pills to fix his anger issues, you wouldn't have argued that it wasn't "for his benefit"? What's the difference? Is it that it was too easy?
Old 2023-08-06, 08:26   Link #47
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's not a matter that subjects itself to easy answers, but the series tipped its hand (which it rarely does) when his mother said "Maybe this is just who he is". She knew in her heart what she was doing was wrong.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it necessarily should. With human children the intervention can be with drugs, which are sometimes necessary but are often prescribed for the wrong reasons. And of course medication can always be stopped. Electroshock or a lobotomy (which is basically what both of this episode's cases amount to) can't be reversed.
Old 2023-08-06, 08:47   Link #48
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It's not a matter that subjects itself to easy answers, but the series tipped its hand (which it rarely does) when his mother said "Maybe this is just who he is". She knew in her heart what she was doing was wrong.
Exactly. That and the MC's own hesitation and wistfulness. It's what I don't like about this ep and why I don't really agree with claims of neutrality.

Quote:
Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it necessarily should. With human children the intervention can be with drugs, which are sometimes necessary but are often prescribed for the wrong reasons.
Maybe. But here we're dealing with a child who can't be talked with without risking bodily injury. If they wanted a moral dilemma, they should have picked a much pettier reason for the treatment. Like, say, a normal child who's worried about entrance exams and wants his personality changed to be more studious.

Quote:
And of course medication can always be stopped.
Which is its own problem. Take medication -> the symptoms disappear -> stop taking medication -> the symptoms reappear.

Quote:
Electroshock or a lobotomy (which is basically what both of this episode's cases amount to) can't be reversed.
Why can't it be reversed? (In the anime's case, I mean.) Just do the same thing and turn him back into a violent, uncontrolled individual, if for some reason he wants to.
Old 2023-08-06, 15:06   Link #49
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

One thing I find interesting is that from the Western perspective, which emphasizes individual achievement, the reaction is more "What a shame that his talent has been diminished," but from the Eastern perspective, which emphasizes the good of the community, the reaction is more "Isn't it great that he can be part of the group now?" And again, I don't think the episode itself gives a definitive answer.

Medication is an option when someone has an identifiable pathology that's treatable. It shouldn't be administered merely for the convenience of the people around the person being treated.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-06, 15:35   Link #50
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Medication is an option when someone has an identifiable pathology that's treatable. It shouldn't be administered merely for the convenience of the people around the person being treated.
Well, he had "punches others for little to no reason" syndrome, and it was apparently very treatable, so I don't see what the complaint is. I don't buy that they did it "merely for the convenience of others". Even if it was more convenient for his mom not to wait until he'd murdered someone.
Old 2023-08-11, 20:22   Link #51
grecefar

I liked both stories, the first one more since I think is good that even with all the technology there are people trying to keep the old methods alive, just like now trying to save old art and books even thought you can find everything in the net.
Old 2023-08-12, 01:08   Link #52
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

For some reason, both stories left me in a melancholy mood
But as always, it doesn't really get obviously dark

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 19:19   Link #53
grecefar

two more stories, the second one was interesting and what were those two?, and I wonder what the guy did in the end.

nice chapter.
Old 2023-08-18, 21:58   Link #54
Alchemist007
*Author

Asshole grandpa was a surprise, just because you're no longer stupefied doesn't mean you're a great person all of a sudden.

The company's new policy using employees, bots or otherwise, is far from surprising.
Old 2023-08-19, 01:04   Link #55
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

One story involves a civil rights activist and how the grandfather was previously violent but not violent anymore due to his injuries
Topics in this story overall stem from the civil rights activist pushing his ideals on others

And the other one involves the protagonist of the story feeling icky towards people(?) acting according to a script (in other words, program)

And both are connected to the recent "human rights" given to Humanoids and discrimination towards them

I guess

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2023-08-25, 21:52   Link #56
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

No episode this week

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Old 2023-08-25, 22:23   Link #57
grecefar

Sigh... there are a lot of delays.

My favorite cat too.
Old 2023-09-01, 19:31   Link #58
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This show is seriously being slept on. Absolutely outstanding.
Old 2023-09-01, 20:48   Link #59
grecefar

hated that ending, I think she did it in the end.
Old 2023-09-01, 23:34   Link #60
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Don't end there! Donnn't ennnnd theeerreeee!