AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

View Poll Results: Valvrave the Liberator - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 5 5.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 9.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 27.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 21.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 5.95%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-30, 20:32   Link #41
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
The Dorssia and the Council of 101 part of the flashforward was good, I think with the complex world geopolitics shaping anew and maybe Shoko crying with Haruto's helmet. It's just the new nation side of the things where they drop the ball and badly.
That said, I've noticed that Dorssia's emblem changed by the time the flashforward rolled in. This makes me think that the cow nation in the future may be Dorssia or a subsidiary of Dorssia.

True, the changing landscape of the world was worth seeing. But that alone can't make up for the rest of the flashforward. Which left more questions than answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The far-flung future scenes were a mistake. For the entire show. They clearly had no set plans whatsoever for it, so it ends up feeling like a horrible tease.

I largely agreed with mangkid95's review, except I kinda liked Satomi/Takahi's wedding. The show needed something special to make the ending seem at least a bit happy, and it also provided a good pretext for putting Saki and Kriem into stunning outfits.

Plus, Satomi and Takahi were almost joined at the hip the entire 2nd season. Granted, it was much more BFFs than romance but it's still foreshadowing enough, I think. ...At least it wasn't Satomi/Iori, which honestly would have felt wrong after the last few episodes.
I didn't hate the wedding, I also liked seeing everyone happily enjoying themselves. But I just didn't see the relevance of putting it in there. While their close friendship was foreshadowing enough, it still didn't warrant the wedding end flag.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2013-12-30, 21:18   Link #42
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
I endorse this. Especially her interacting with other characters more. Actually make a relationship out of Haruto and Saki. I'm not saying it has to be romantic, but at least make it show that she cares about more than just trying to throw herself at him.
Agreed. I really liked Haruto and Saki's scenes talking together in the 2nd last episode of the season, but it also made me realize that we probably should have had more of these sorts of scenes.

Quote:
If they kept her around more during the earlier parts of this season they could have had a scene where Haruto was despairing about his condition, viewing himself as a monster and possibly ending up like Marie. Saki could try and talk some sense into him and try to console him. Give him some much needed support.
Good idea.

Quote:
I would have liked to seen L-Elf call Haruto out on being over-reliant on his strategies and intelligence. Call him a sentimental-fool who can't even think for himself. Haruto could respond by saying L-Elf is no better than he is in terms of sentimentality. L-Elf starting all this because he wanted to save Lise. It could lead into Haruto revealing that Lise was a Magius.
That would have added some nice bite to their scenes. If you're going to have two characters really go at each other (and clearly that's what was going on in the Spacesuit episode), you might as well go all the way with it and have them really clear the air by venting frustrations that viewers already suspect (if not know) that these characters have with each other.

Quote:
Maybe Namikawa could even deliver the line in his serious voice.
I was imagining Satomi saying the line in this subtly intense way. Not loud, but clear, and forcefully poetic (i.e. slight dramatic pauses between each of the three short sentences).

What other roles has Namikawa had, out of curiosity?

Quote:
Hopefully, spilled their drink on Iori at the wedding reception.
lol

Quote:
Personally, I would take THAT scene out of episode 10. It essentially amounted to nothing and can be replaced by Haruto simply attacking Saki and feeding of her Runes.
The only thing here is that I'm not sure what could be used to replace Haruto's marriage proposal to Saki (since without him "raping" her, it's hard to imagine him making that proposal). But if something decent can be come up with to replace the marriage proposal scene, then yeah, scrap the rape scene.

I know for a fact that at least a couple people actually dropped the show over this exact scene.

Quote:
Also give a more definitive end to H-Neun. Them not really producing a body and showing that Magius possess humans was teasing that someone possessing his body was incoming.
Agreed.

Quote:
I like these changes. You took a wrench to the plot and gave it a good tightening.
Thanks! To be fair to the writers, there's a lot they did well with. It's just that they were amazingly tone deaf on a couple things.

Quote:
I wanna see more suggestions on possible changes from others.
Me too. It would be nice to see what other Valvrave viewers can come up with.
Old 2013-12-30, 21:57   Link #43
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Did somebody say suggestions?! Here goes nothing.

Cain needed to fight more. He might have been the final villain but he got completely overshadowed by Q-vier who is rivaling Yazan for deaths of major characters in a Sunrise series. In season 1's finale the only impact he gave the viewer was "What the f#ck is going on?!" rather than "This guy is really scary! He caused such a big tragedy." Season 1's finale could have been one big (and dumb) tragedy like the infamous Euphemia incident and that coup. In season 2's finale he only killed one of his subordinates who Haruto and the other didn't know about. Still, the fight scene was badass.

Then this show needed to take more advantage of its scifi elements far more like Code Geass. Give me something stupid but awesome like CG. How about Cain and Haruto jumping from robots and trying to absorb the Runes of enemies? How about Valvraves throwing each other or using random weapons found in the school? Make Haruto's dad turn Figaro's corpse into a killing cyborg! Who's talking most of this seriously anyway?

Also, the romance in season 2 was quite a letdown. Two minutes after L-elf sees Lieselotte she dies. Depression hits the floor. Not much about Kyuma's sacrifice made sense since Haruto couldn't tell Shoko about it. Maybe he couldn't have said "I love/d you" but "Thank you" or "I'll still fight for you" to make the scene less depressing. They could have made Haruto say something that only Shoko would hear and the viewer would have analyze what he said. Then Haruto would either still have feelings for her or get over and remember the proposal he made in season 1 and whether it is water under the bridge or not. I hate stealing jokes but Okouchi: Do You Remember Love? Saki's manga is actually doing this much better. Even the episode 10 incident was explored a bit more with Saki telling Haruto that if he really turns into a monster she will kill him which makes Haruto quite happy. (this scene was actually made after the sexual assault thing rather than before)

Haruto and L-elf's development could have also happened much earlier. One scene I really liked was when the two talked about their insecurities. It was one of the few times L-elf opened up before seeing Lieselotte. Then the waifu fight should have happened before the Bakemono Incident so that the bond these two made could have been explored for more than 1 minute of sadness.

Also, although killing major characters in a series takes guts, here they seem like cheap excuses to have emotional scenes and force developments. First we have Aina (used to give Kyuma an excuse to pilot), then Lieselotte (used to make L-elf a really fast development), then Kyuma (used to make Haruto go through fasts development) and then Haruto (used to redeem Shoko). It reminds me to a Fate Zero short where a character said that if you are a nice guy in an anime prepare to be killed.

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2013-12-30 at 23:23.
Old 2013-12-30, 22:31   Link #44
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That would have added some nice bite to their scenes. If you're going to have two characters really go at each other (and clearly that's what was going on in the Spacesuit episode), you might as well go all the way with it and have them really clear the air by venting frustrations that viewers already suspect (if not know) that these characters have with each other.
Right! As a viewer I would love it if a character says something that has been on my mind. Like you said, acknowledge some of the things the fans have been thinking.

Quote:
I was imagining Satomi saying the line in this subtly intense way. Not loud, but clear, and forcefully poetic (i.e. slight dramatic pauses between each of the three short sentences).
Right. Keep it short, sweet and to the point. Possibly even have Iori try to reach out for him, only to have Satomi push her hand to the side.

Quote:
What other roles has Namikawa had, out of curiosity?
A few I can remember off the top:

Shrade from Aquarion Evol
Ulquiorra from Bleach
Good and Bad Italy from Hetalia
Riddhe from Gundam Unicorn
Rock from Black Lagoon
Narukami from Persona 4
Waver from Fate/Zero

Quote:
The only thing here is that I'm not sure what could be used to replace Haruto's marriage proposal to Saki (since without him "raping" her, it's hard to imagine him making that proposal). But if something decent can be come up with to replace the marriage proposal scene, then yeah, scrap the rape scene.
Yeah, you would have to rewrite all that. Something could be made up. Maybe after the attack while Haruto is lamenting, he still tries to apologize to Saki and spends time with her. He finds out more about her just like in the show, but go deeper. Maybe even have Saki open up to him about why she willingly resigned her humanity. Then she could say that maybe one day she'll become have an attack like Haruto and attack someone she cares about. Then she says that she doesn't want to attack Haruto. Letting it slip that she cares about him. Of course, she'll play it off. Haruto could then ask why would she care about a monster like him. Saki could reply "Hey, we're both monsters now. So even if no one else does I'll care about you." Haruto looks at her with a confused look. Saki plays it off again. "You know! Since we monsters gotta look out for each other and all!"

Through that, Haruto could feel some sort of connection due to circumstance and since he feels he unfit for Shoko because he's a monster in his mind. He feels alone, but he's able to tell that Saki is able to understand him. Plus after hearing about her past and how Saki feels alone as well he feels a kindred spirit in her, leading him to propose to her.

It's a stretch, I know.

Quote:
Thanks! To be fair to the writers, there's a lot they did well with. It's just that they were amazingly tone deaf on a couple things.
Welcome. And I agree. It's a shame. With a good editor and some more time to work with we could have gotten so much more.

Quote:
Me too. It would be nice to see what other Valvrave viewers can come up with.
Keep 'em coming!
Old 2013-12-31, 02:51   Link #45
username31

5/10 i enjoy mostly season 1, season 2 too rush and left a lot things to desire, the big plot hole didn't help either

will be 7/10 if they kill shoko...the useless shoko really made the series downgrade in so many levels...

Last edited by username31; 2013-12-31 at 06:03.
Old 2013-12-31, 05:11   Link #46
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
That said, I've noticed that Dorssia's emblem changed by the time the flashforward rolled in. This makes me think that the cow nation in the future may be Dorssia or a subsidiary of Dorssia.
That's the royal family crest. It's been that way for over a thousand of years. I don't know how come you assume a Spanish crest (associated with ARUS) has to do with Dorssia which has always been German-dominated and, iirc, does not have countries which speak Spanish as native language. The future Prince's golden embroidery in his clothing bears a vague resemblance to Dorssian fashion, on the other hand. Considering ARUS is the one with anti monsters policies while Dorssian citizens attend to a wedding in the new nation, it seems more likely it's a subsidiary of ARUS. Even without taking into account the language in the crest. That say, I think is a Dyson Sphere in Saturn.

Suggestions: make the show 26 episodes. What would I change: quit the pointless love triangle focus just have it as background element, get Lieselotte and L-Elf as main love story because it's the only one remotely likeable and with potential (still end it tragically) because it has a far more 'grand' feel, no shock value cheap rape (just have Haruto attack and slash/beat up Saki, making her forget some scenes of her childhood which would foreshadow Marie), more about Lieselotte and the Magius (Pino and Prue shipwreck), add more details about the Empire, Shoko turns down her power to Nanami when she realizes she's useless (Nanami had to be the voice of the reason taking care of it, while Shoko pretended hypocritically to be in charge and froze: a good speech about how she was a child and she's not ready for this burden and Nanami apologizing she shouldn't have run elections in the first place), X-eins doesn't die but he's wounded, Shoko rocket grovels and apologizes while the rest mistrust them until they prove their loyalty, address issues like Karlstein child soldiers and the morality of experiment of the unborn on TV for hot debate (who are the victims and who are the monsters), give Q-vier a flashback and backstory, drop the alien-Shoko epilogue, it should end with Akira finishing her tale, add a funeral before the wedding (like a contrast). Change the question of "Do you believe in humanity?" just after Haruto dies, as Hito whitens or something.

That's the important stuff I would retouch.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2013-12-31 at 05:36.
Old 2013-12-31, 14:21   Link #47
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
That's the royal family crest. It's been that way for over a thousand of years. I don't know how come you assume a Spanish crest (associated with ARUS) has to do with Dorssia which has always been German-dominated and, iirc, does not have countries which speak Spanish as native language. The future Prince's golden embroidery in his clothing bears a vague resemblance to Dorssian fashion, on the other hand. Considering ARUS is the one with anti monsters policies while Dorssian citizens attend to a wedding in the new nation, it seems more likely it's a subsidiary of ARUS. Even without taking into account the language in the crest. That say, I think is a Dyson Sphere in Saturn.
I'm guilty of not paying attention to the emblems introduced in this series. Can you please post pics of all the emblems for me please? If not, you can PM them to me.

I'll make a proper post when I see & analyze the emblems.

EDIT:Now that I've seen the emblems, I can ascertain the situation much better. The cow nation may/may not have anything to do with Dorssia, still:

Dorssia:

It can have Dorssian roots or draw influence from Dorssia. It can also be a hybrid nation, there are a lot of possibilities because this isn't some 1 year or 10 year time skip we're talking about. This is 214 years to be exact, many things can happen. For example, how was ARUS/JIOR formed in the first place? There had to be a start to it, right? (I left out Dorssia because it presumably has a 1000 year history backed by the fact that it's a monarchy) ARUS/JIOR deals with democracy, so they are definitely "new" nations composed of countries of the world.

In 200 years, what's stopping Dorssia from having subsidiaries in former ARUS territories? The cow mech's crest may be of ARUS origin, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an ARUS state. It can be a hybrid nation, a "new" nation that was formed after the collapse of ARUS/Dorssia, etc...

The Spanish on the crest does lend highly to it being ARUS, but not necessarily. There can be many reasons for that.

Spoiler for Real life example of 200+ years of change & influence:

About the Prince's attire, it can indeed be inspired by Dorssian/JIORan fashion because L-Elf was indeed most likely the 1st emperor. If his empress was of JIORan descent, then it makes sense to have apparel consisting of both cultures or he did so on his own without any consultation. "What if I combine the clothes of my home nation with the clothes of the nation that sided with me during my defection/rebellion?"

Dorssia itself may not have anything to do with that, L-Elf or any Dorssians that resided in the empire are most likely the sole perpetrator behind that. [Cultural diversity & whatnot]

I'd also like to point out that the cow mech is transformable & is mainly white in colour scheme. Reminiscent of Dorssia.

ARUS:

Still, I also can't ignore that it could be ARUS remnants or a new ARUS.

There is the world map showing that the Spanish speaking world is all under ARUS' rule. This lends highly to that cow mech being from ARUS or a subsidiary of ARUS in the future.

Also, ARUS has almost all of Europe, again, the Europeans (particularly Spain) have history in the field of witch hunts. So this also lends credibility to the cow nation rebelling against an empire led by "monsters".
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Then there is the cow pilot's style of dressing. That looks like something an ARUS soldier would wear since Dorssia goes for a white dress code.

-----------------------------
I'm thinking hybrid nation as the best possible answer. (That pilot has elements of both ARUS & Dorssia)
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.

Last edited by MK-95-; 2013-12-31 at 20:13.
Old 2013-12-31, 22:38   Link #48
GundamZZ
残念美人

Animation: The battle is smooth and crispy. The animation graphic during the character conversation look crappy. The limited funding may be the cause of the bad quality. Grade B.

Script: The story from first season is jumpy. It has few good surprises. Grade C.

Character Design: The characters' looks are likable. The drawing looks aweful druing the conversation scenes. It may not be helped due to funding. Grade A.

Mechanical Design: Velvrave robots look good, except Thunder's robot. Dorassian robots look like beta product. Their Velvrave clones look better. ARUS robots look average. Grade B.

Music: The music is typical J-POP. It has potential to make its way to RED/WHITE singing show. The music is not bad, but it is not particularly memorable. Grade C.

Overall, the character interaction still looks good. Without much screen time, Cain is a good villain. I'll give hime Grade A. Besides, I thought some people exaggerated the negative part of the show. So, I'll give the show 10 out of 10.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
Old 2014-01-01, 00:12   Link #49
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
I'm guilty of not paying attention to the emblems introduced in this series. Can you please post pics of all the emblems for me please? If not, you can PM them to me.

I'll make a proper post when I see & analyze the emblems.

EDIT:Now that I've seen the emblems, I can ascertain the situation much better. The cow nation may/may not have anything to do with Dorssia, still:

Dorssia:

It can have Dorssian roots or draw influence from Dorssia. It can also be a hybrid nation, there are a lot of possibilities because this isn't some 1 year or 10 year time skip we're talking about. This is 214 years to be exact, many things can happen. For example, how was ARUS/JIOR formed in the first place? There had to be a start to it, right? (I left out Dorssia because it presumably has a 1000 year history backed by the fact that it's a monarchy) ARUS/JIOR deals with democracy, so they are definitely "new" nations composed of countries of the world.

In 200 years, what's stopping Dorssia from having subsidiaries in former ARUS territories? The cow mech's crest may be of ARUS origin, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an ARUS state. It can be a hybrid nation, a "new" nation that was formed after the collapse of ARUS/Dorssia, etc...

The Spanish on the crest does lend highly to it being ARUS, but not necessarily. There can be many reasons for that.

Spoiler for Real life example of 200+ years of change & influence:

About the Prince's attire, it can indeed be inspired by Dorssian/JIORan fashion because L-Elf was indeed most likely the 1st emperor. If his empress was of JIORan descent, then it makes sense to have apparel consisting of both cultures or he did so on his own without any consultation. "What if I combine the clothes of my home nation with the clothes of the nation that sided with me during my defection/rebellion?"

Dorssia itself may not have anything to do with that, L-Elf or any Dorssians that resided in the empire are most likely the sole perpetrator behind that. [Cultural diversity & whatnot]

I'd also like to point out that the cow mech is transformable & is mainly white in colour scheme. Reminiscent of Dorssia.

ARUS:

Still, I also can't ignore that it could be ARUS remnants or a new ARUS.

There is the world map showing that the Spanish speaking world is all under ARUS' rule. This lends highly to that cow mech being from ARUS or a subsidiary of ARUS in the future.

Also, ARUS has almost all of Europe, again, the Europeans (particularly Spain) have history in the field of witch hunts. So this also lends credibility to the cow nation rebelling against an empire led by "monsters".
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Then there is the cow pilot's style of dressing. That looks like something an ARUS soldier would wear since Dorssia goes for a white dress code.

-----------------------------
I'm thinking hybrid nation as the best possible answer. (That pilot has elements of both ARUS & Dorssia)
It could be but it's not related to the Dorssia royal bloodline (which was what I was saying: it's not connected to the Royalist/royal family traditional faction because those have canonically friendly relationships with them). The animal is a bull, bull is the national animal of Spain, so this and the fact it's a Spanish crest, and the coat of arms present elements of the current Spain one (other colors though: but all countries have completely different colors from real life) is pretty telling. Spain is, at the moment of calendar 0, an ARUS country. The coat of arms of the royal Dorssian family is supposed to have seven dragons (there's no design but we're told this as much). Along the road, there could have been a fracture of Dorssia, with those who are from the royalist support siding L-Elf and the kamitsuki (with the Jior annexed territory) and those countries who would side with ARUS. I'm confident to affirm A-drei, the King and Kriemhild aren't part of this. There's a difference between the alliance between them and the one with Jeffrey Anderson. One never betrayed the other and there was a mutual benefit for both sides (with the royalists and the king's faction) while with ARUS was all patronizing and conniving one-sided 'charity' without real good will from the beginning.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-01-01, 04:16   Link #50
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^Well, Dorssia can change a lot in 200 years. They can betray their pact with the empire, they can be divided into factions (like how Dorssia currently is) or as I've said, they can be a hybrid nation consisting of them & another nation.

Then again, as you've said, that can also be an ARUS remnant or subsidiary.

Lets call it even until/if we get more info to work with.
Old 2014-01-01, 04:47   Link #51
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Probably my last post, but anyway here my impression of my favorite 2013 anime.

Season 1- 8.3
A bit slower pace than season 2 but nonetheless entertaining, they paced it through with a nice combination of surprises and cliches that neither make you think it too predictable or too depending on shock factors. It introduced what I dared say the best mecha anime's heroine, whose name is Saki Rukino, a new fresh breath of female that I haven't seem in a long time. A annoying thing is that they perhaps spend too much time on the high school and less on the main plot. Also episode 10 is totally unnecessary as of season 2.

Season 2- 6.2
Start out quite surprising better than season 1 but gradually decline from good to ok to wtf, it most severe issue is the plot holes that left unexplained due to the introduction of the future time-line. If you don't have time, why bother showing it? While season 2 initially make me like the main casts even more than ever, especially Saki but toward the end everybody mostly except L-elf and Saki become stupid. The most severe case is Shoko, they completely take a big dump on her character. Negligent of Saki, who is along with L-elf is the duo of the best character of Valvrave is a big no no on my part. Saki's treatment on the later half of anime frustrated me more, she has the potential to be even better but due to the whole triangle love-drama, it hindered her and pissed off many of her fans. Coupling that with a garbage ending, it not really helping it much.

Overall I'll give it a 6.9, but nevertheless Valvrave to me is still my crown anime of 2013. Valvrave, I'll miss you along with Saki.

Last edited by DevilHighDxD; 2014-01-01 at 13:40.
Old 2014-01-01, 20:14   Link #52
larethian

After thinking hard and long, I was planning to give it 6 but decided to settle for a 7. Overall, I liked the show, but the ending was just too unsatisfying. It left a bitter taste in me when mains have to die with regrets and people can't apologize or confess properly. Even a after-death letter would have made it more satisfying.
Old 2014-01-04, 13:32   Link #53
zalem

Gave it a 6. It wasn't terrible. I did keep watching and it did provide some amusement. But neither was it all that good. I have absolutely no urge to rewatch this show and certainly won't be buying a dvd/blu-ray of it. I felt so detached the entire season, even with the supposedly "emotional" episodes I just found I didn't care all that much. More like an "oh well, that sucks for them" type reaction instead of a gut-wrenching, shocked reaction. Something is kind of wrong with the story if that's my reaction.

The end was also kind of dumb. I feel like the future scenes were all rather useless and should have just been left out. They just raise more questions in the end, questions that aren't resolved with the ending.
Old 2014-01-05, 08:31   Link #54
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
After thinking hard and long, I was planning to give it 6 but decided to settle for a 7. Overall, I liked the show, but the ending was just too unsatisfying. It left a bitter taste in me when mains have to die with regrets and people can't apologize or confess properly. Even a after-death letter would have made it more satisfying.
I would have to agree. I would have liked to rate it 8 but the ending really put it down for me.
Old 2014-01-06, 20:22   Link #55
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I've rated the series 5/10. At points in the series, it deserved a better rating. At other points it deserved a 1/10 and to be chucked out of the window.

The OP sequences and songs were really nice, the voice acting was good, and the animation was fine. In fight scenes, the Valvraves looked great. Many of the characters were appealing and interesting, and the character designs were gorgeous. Even though characters like Liselotte and Marie only had a small amount of time in the spotlight before their deaths, they were both vivid and pro-active characters with interesting backstories. Haruto didn't appeal much to me but even so I could see his good qualities and appreciated his role as a flawed but idealistic hero. Valvrave could be very entertaining and fun at its best.

But the writing, agh, the writing. At no point did Valvrave truly manage a coherent plot. That on its own could potentially have been fine, because the appeal of Valvrave was really a rule of cool thing. I think it would have been easier to forgive Valvrave if that was the only problem. The problem as I see it was the way the characters were used, because even though many of the characters were interesting on the face of it, they were firmly in a second seat to the plot and ruled by it absolutely. And the plot was badly written and incoherent. Which leads us to Haruto in particular suffering from plot-induced stupitity for much of the series, major series 1 characters playing only minor roles in series 2 (Saki, Shouko), unexplained plot threads and failures to resolve plot lines adequately, villains like Cain being interesting on the surface but never ever really getting the attention they needed, a rushed ending, and so on. And a number of character received only the minimum amount of character development they needed in order to be sympathetic when they died.

Things are so choppy with the treatment of the characters at times that the successes of the series seem to be in spite of the writing. For example, Saki. A very interesting and sympathetic character throughout, but she was sidelined in series 2 and her role was mostly reduced to mooning over Haruto.

I liked the idea of the way the series ended, with the flash forwards and all, but it was badly executed.
Old 2014-01-08, 04:32   Link #56
sky black swordman

Season 1 8/10
Season 2 6/10 (Not enough Saki!)
Series overall 7/10
It was good not great. The ending left a lot to be desired.
Old 2014-01-11, 14:01   Link #57
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Worse ending than Code Geass. Haruto's relationships to Saki and Shoko weren't fleshed out like his friendship with L-Elf.

The series was too short. In order to give L-Elf and his motivations some exposition, other characters who were supposed to be more important got thrown aside.

Overall, the series never slowed down and was always filled with action.
Old 2014-01-12, 08:58   Link #58
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

7/10

Fairly entertaining and the fact that nobody was safe was a plus.

I really didn't care for Haruto too much as the MC...shit got a bit crazy and those scenes where they jumped into the future were pretty annoying, though not as bad as making it obvious that Haruto was going to die.

This series could have been fleshed out more but had it's legs cut out from under it. 24 episodes was not enough to cover everything.
Old 2014-01-14, 00:38   Link #59
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

The ending kind of ruined it, and left so many questions unanswered.

but still, it was at least interesting until the end.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:32   Link #60
FateAnomaly

I can't help feel that things were cut short.
Closed Thread