AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-11, 06:45   Link #41
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

At one time I believe MI was on Amazon Prime, but now it's been moved to Paramount+ which I think holds the rights for most of the CBS programming from back in the day.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-11, 06:52   Link #42
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I definitely watched the Mission Impossible series too (the 1988 one), but re-runs, yeah.
Old 2022-04-11, 07:04   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Watching re-runs of Mission Impossible TV when I was a kid and witnessing the team's continuous success from mission to mision is definitely the reason why I was shocked when I watched the M:I movie for the first time. The way the team.....

Spoiler for early plot point of Mision Impossible movie:
Old 2022-04-11, 08:31   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

More than MI I find SxF to be a homage to the great screwball comedies of the 30's and 40s - Preston Sturges, Howard Hawks. The tone and dialogue is very reminiscent.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-11, 20:13   Link #45
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Yeah, the spy message in the news paper could have explained that in 1-2 sentences as that they got no female agent and no child ready for this mission because too many agents got busted, so he has to deal with all that himself and good luck with that. xD
Better yet. We could've had Loid make that deduction. Nice little bit of character intelligence.
Old 2022-04-11, 20:48   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spy X Fam is like gossamer. And you don’t dissect gossamer.
Old 2022-04-11, 20:59   Link #47
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

I preferred reruns of Get Smart as a kid honestly. The movie sucked though. Spy parodies have a long history. Don't forget that Anya's test subject number was 007
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-11, 22:02   Link #48
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I preferred reruns of Get Smart as a kid honestly. The movie sucked though. Spy parodies have a long history. Don't forget that Anya's test subject number was 007
I liked the movie...
Old 2022-04-11, 23:33   Link #49
HandofFate

I liked the Get Smart movie too, but then I bought the DVD set of the series, obviously the TV series is gold tier. I totally missed the references the movie had with the catch phrases, but was like oh...
Old 2022-04-12, 01:02   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Get Smart (the series) was written by Buck Henry and Mel Brooks, and starred Don Adams. There was no way that wasn’t going to be great.

The movie? Feh.
Old 2022-04-12, 15:35   Link #51
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I preferred reruns of Get Smart as a kid honestly. The movie sucked though.
Which one? The Nude Bomb or the version with Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart?
Old 2022-04-12, 16:23   Link #52
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Which one? The Nude Bomb or the version with Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart?
I was mostly referring to the Steve Carell one from 2008, but I think the 80s stuff was also pretty bad as a lot of people from the original show weren't involved. At least Don Adams had Inspector Gadget in the 80s. The cold war fizzling out didn't really do the spy (or spy parody) genre any favors.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 11:05   Link #53
Frontier

The Opening is definitely an off-beat, stylish, number fitting for this kind of series...first you think it's going to be all action and then we get a really cute art style for Anya's daily life with her family and friends, and then back to normal for Loid and Yor doing what they do best and ending with the happy family together .

Bless Franky for going through with dressing up to play Anya's mom, even if not even Anya is willing to accept such a mama. The lengths Franky goes to for Twilight .

We finally meet our adult female lead amidst office girl talk as we get introduced to Yor Briar, a soft spoken raven-haired beauty played by none other than Saori Hayami, who seems absentminded yet dutiful even as her co-workers wonder at the fact that she's single. So too does her brother, to the point that she gets stuck promising the existence of a fake boyfriend to get people to stop questioning her about it .

Except in reality Yor isn't just some office worker, she's secretly the Thorn Princess (get it? Briar? Thorns?), a deadly master assassin who can kill a roomful of men all the while blushing, looking gorgeous in that black assassin dress, and then complaining afterwards about having to clean off all the blood and the tear on her dress...also she gets her orders from Junichi Suwabe, who had to be in at least one show this season .

Loid is on the prowl for a wife candidate and Yor happens to catch his eye while they're shopping for dresses for Anya, and because of Yor's assassin capabilities she can sneak up on him (even in heels!) and notice when he's staring at her. Already these two have an affinity for each other .

I love how Yor is worried about pursuing a married man in case the wife comes after her for revenge, even though she would probably just kill the wife instead .

Anya basically being the audience in wanting to see a spy and an assassin hook up for pure "wakuwaku" fun .

38 guys? Loid will just take them out in a quick five second sequence .

Oof. Poor Yor thinks she's been ditched, her co-workers get all catty and judgmental over her, and she's got to worry about what her overprotective brothers' co-worker spilling the beans that she didn't show up to anyone. And then she considers just killing everyone in the room .

Gotta love how even wounded and disoriented, Loid still showed up at the party. And he was so dazed he jumped straight into declaring them married ahead of time! Also you have to love how much he can write off with his "psychiatrist" job, but it helps how gullible Yor is .

Jeez, Camilla, stop while you're ahead! Although it did offer up a nice chance to see Yor's legs and Loid to support her by relating to his own experiences to her own, even if he doesn't know the real truth about Yor. Also, even if it was potentially her killing me, I wouldn't mind getting a "massage" from Yor .

Nothing bonds a couple quite like beating up thugs and surviving a life-and-death situation together! Loid and Yor seek a marriage of convenience to help with their respective missions and to deflect attention, but they also see an affinity and compatibility with each other that will bond and deepen as they try to pretend to be a family with Anya and and likely in the process become a true loving family .

Yor probably so distracted by the proposal that she didn't even notice her new psychiatrist husband literally just blew some people up
Old 2022-04-16, 11:13   Link #54
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nice to see they could pull off a whole episode with hardly any Anya bits in it (except for that hilarious moment when she starts talking about how she wishes she had a mama). Good to know they can make an entertaining episode focusing largely on the adults because we know they can make entertaining episodes just by including Anya.

I assume Loid used his spying superpowers to find out the location of a party at the home of someone he doesn't know and never met.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 11:53   Link #55
ryllharu

Anya might be quite dumb academically, but she does have quite a good street smarts sense, instantly being able to utilize her powers reading both Yor and Twilight to fabricate a scene on the spot to keep them from drifting apart...which also adds more excitement to her own life.

Must be from all the tv she watches!

The OP sequence is incredible, really exceeding my expectations. There's a very nice stylistic touch with 1960s style poster and pop art and then shifting to the anime's style to show off some other things.

The OST for this has been just as fitting, there's some nice bongo instrumental music when Yor and Twilight are running around the warehouses. Very spy movie, but also era appropriate. The elegant and beautiful but also menacing music when Yor is killing a whole floor of people? There's various flavors of Jazz when Yor is talking to her brother or when Twilight and Frankie are doing the art theft job. Soft and somber piano when Yor is getting depressed at the party. And it even knows when to be silent and let the dialogue dominate.

Yor's naivety is so precious. Her clothes are also very stylish, the red sweater especially.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 12:20   Link #56
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Nice to see they could pull off a whole episode with hardly any Anya bits in it (except for that hilarious moment when she starts talking about how she wishes she had a mama). Good to know they can make an entertaining episode focusing largely on the adults because we know they can make entertaining episodes just by including Anya.

I assume Loid used his spying superpowers to find out the location of a party at the home of someone he doesn't know and never met.
We did get some great Anya moments with her "Anya won't accept this mama!" or when she's trying to hook up Loid and Yor because she thinks it would be as entertaining as the audience does .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
Anya might be quite dumb academically, but she does have quite a good street smarts sense, instantly being able to utilize her powers reading both Yor and Twilight to fabricate a scene on the spot to keep them from drifting apart...which also adds more excitement to her own life.
Anya as the surprisingly effective wingwoman .
Quote:
Yor's naivety is so precious. Her clothes are also very stylish, the red sweater especially.
She is a very stunning and beautiful woman, both in her office clothes, normal clothes, assassin clothes, and dress! Plus she can seemingly do anything in heels .
Old 2022-04-16, 12:21   Link #57
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Yor has impeccable timing in dropping the question on Loid. A ring from the grenade he tossed would have to do as an engagement ring there and then.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 12:49   Link #58
Decel

All psychiatrists are trained in grenade handling...

Fun episode, but a step down from the first one Imo. I find Yor to be a tad too gullible, and her personality is really muted compared to Loid and Anya. I hope it's merely temporary.
Old 2022-04-16, 12:57   Link #59
AP24

So it’s like Mr and Mrs Smith
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 13:18   Link #60
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
So it’s like Mr and Mrs Smith
Throw in a telepathic child for good measure. More to come.

Tags
action, bondman, comedy, espionage, james bond, secret agency