AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-22, 08:37   Link #41
Liddo-kun
is this so?

forgot to post this. Just a day after watching bear massacre of episode 3, this is the snack that our maid buy from the store.

Spoiler:
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-25, 06:41   Link #42
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 4:

glad to see Sarasa shop is somehow recovering from the money losses on the previous episodes.

inviting the two adventurers to live with them is the right choice.

good thing she checked out the second alchemy shop. She found a nice person to sell the bear items to.

and they have a proper kitchen now as well.

looking forward to next week.
Old 2022-10-26, 17:45   Link #43
Ghostfriendly

Episode 4 was very nice, solving problems and sharing sweets. Despite traumatic injuries, Iris' undaunted resolve to still fight was welcome and exactly what we need; her emerging role as the brave but clumsy fighter is fine. Some more one on one time for the couples in future episodes would be nice.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 06:48   Link #44
EroKing

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-13 at 05:58.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-31, 10:54   Link #45
Ghostfriendly

Ep 5's chain of people slipping on ice was hilarious as Mark Twain's five Native Americans trying to jump onto a boat. Girls with sweets was very cute. Girls in other series have to cope with so much needless, tedious, often gratuitous gender-targeted violence or discrimination; all that's needed is girls doing a meaningful job of work and having fun with their friends/lovers.
Old 2022-10-31, 12:33   Link #46
Rasty

That's a pretty reasonable way to make the area wealthier. Especially since there is bound to be a limit to how much the gatherer business can grow around there. Though I wonder why the use of commissioning dependent on whether the product sells and not straight up buying the hats from them (since she is backing it up with much more money anyway). Is that to encourage better designs, creativity and overall involvement?

I can imagine the cooling helmet padding to be a huge hit with city soldiers/guards. Soldiers tend to have higher wages and if they are forced to wear some kind of plate armor all the time this would be much more important for them than for the villagers.

A fun fact, despite the gatherers asking for helmet padding none of them wore helmets in the cave (despite it being double important there).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-31, 20:15   Link #47
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
A fun fact, despite the gatherers asking for helmet padding none of them wore helmets in the cave (despite it being double important there).
A lot of things in this series (especially the economics) don't feel very well thought out. I was close to dropping but I decided to stick with this because there's nothing else on Mondays, and the world building is fairly interesting, anyway. I'm sort of curious how the scammy alchemist in town stays in business, and/or what his goal is.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-01, 08:40   Link #48
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
If the novel didn't say 'they wore no helmets' I'm sure they were there.
Old 2022-11-01, 10:54   Link #49
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
If the novel didn't say 'they wore no helmets' I'm sure they were there.
I suppose they did (I haven't read the LN), but anime showed them without.
Old 2022-11-01, 15:00   Link #50
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
A lot of things in this series (especially the economics) don't feel very well thought out.
My problem is that the Speed of Plot doesn't really fit within a logical, linear framework. But as you say, there's nothing else on Mondays, so I just kind of let it roll and try not to think about it too hard.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-02, 10:03   Link #51
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
I suppose they did (I haven't read the LN), but anime showed them without.
Pretty sure Ghostfriendly is just speculating themselves and/or papering over the series faults. They made a point of showing everyone wearing gloves, as well as "Air Wall", the magical batshit shield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
My problem is that the Speed of Plot doesn't really fit within a logical, linear framework. But as you say, there's nothing else on Mondays, so I just kind of let it roll and try not to think about it too hard.
IMO the biggest thing is that the series is just kind of pulling in a lot of different directions, many of which don't really mesh well. I'm not sure how alchemists being ridiculously OP compared to "gatherers" makes sense but it is what it is. The CGDCT aspect doesn't quite click either given that the MC is so antisocial and profit minded... we go from tea time with cookies to "I can't let you die because then you wouldn't be able to pay me back". People on the Dynasty forums were debating if the author was "free market" Libertarian or something a few episodes ago.
Old 2022-11-02, 14:27   Link #52
Rasty

Quote:
IMO the biggest thing is that the series is just kind of pulling in a lot of different directions, many of which don't really mesh well. I'm not sure how alchemists being ridiculously OP compared to "gatherers" makes sense but it is what it is.
I think there are two aspects to this. Firstly Alchemists have magic, expensive equipment and training (at least in using magic), while gatherers seem to have very little of all three. And second is that this is a misunderstanding. It's not that alchemists are strong, it's just Sarasa who is absolutely ridiculous (even by alchemist standards). She is talented, hard-working, and trained by a legendary alchemist, so don't take her for the baseline.

Quote:
The CGDCT aspect doesn't quite click either given that the MC is so antisocial and profit minded... we go from tea time with cookies to "I can't let you die because then you wouldn't be able to pay me back". People on the Dynasty forums were debating if the author was "free market" Libertarian or something a few episodes ago.
This seemed to be something like 10% serious and 90% joke. Yeah, it would suck to not get the money back, but she is mostly just teasing the two.
Old 2022-11-02, 16:18   Link #53
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
This seemed to be something like 10% serious and 90% joke. Yeah, it would suck to not get the money back, but she is mostly just teasing the two.
Maybe but with Kate and Iris as in debt to her as they are its pretty tone deaf. The power dynamic clearly favors Sarasa so most times she comes off as a 'cool boss' at best which to me just kills the whole CGDCT vibe. Somehow it feels like a CGDCT equivalent of a slave harem, if that makes sense. And again, its interesting enough to stick with for now, but I am puzzled by a lot of the choices it's made and the MC is sort of hard to really like.
Old 2022-11-03, 18:08   Link #54
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 5:

A fridge to keep things cool is indeed convenient. Have to risk lives first to get tooth from Frost bats. Lucky that the bats are fruit eater, and not very aggressive.

Sarasa making improvements to the quality of life in the town. Hats with built-in airconditioning. nice.

and I do wonder how that alchemist who keeps dumbing down prices + tricking people is still in business? It would probably take a few years, but gatherers would eventually realize what he's doing, fewer and fewer people would be selling materials to his shop.
Old 2022-11-03, 18:46   Link #55
Rasty

^ That depends. He can be taking in materials in bulk from other sources for the proper price while trying to scam everyone he can on the side. Also, I don't know whether this is intentional, but his shop looks pretty impoverished, especially compared to the obviously much more prospering shop of the "proper" alchemist. And there is of course the chance of him earning on grey area business or things that more proper alchemists would avoid for moral reasons.

It's a pretty terrible business strategy, but not unrealistic. IRL I knew one shop owner like that and his main earnings came from selling overpriced alcohol to drunks to whom even pubs no longer served (because it was dangerous for them) and selling cigarettes (by pieces, not only packs) to children.
Old 2022-11-04, 05:28   Link #56
Liddo-kun
is this so?

the scammy alchemist shop does look impoverished. It's small and the selection of goods is fewer than the other shop. My theory is his products could not be as good as the other shop... or he sells too high. Or both of those reasons.
Old 2022-11-07, 20:34   Link #57
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Pretty sure Ghostfriendly is just speculating themselves and/or papering over the series faults. They made a point of showing everyone wearing gloves, as well as "Air Wall", the magical batshit shield.
It's worth handwaving minor problems away if the series isn't without good qualities, and doesn't have unforgivable offenses.

Quote:
IMO the biggest thing is that the series is just kind of pulling in a lot of different directions, many of which don't really mesh well. I'm not sure how alchemists being ridiculously OP compared to "gatherers" makes sense but it is what it is. The CGDCT aspect doesn't quite click either given that the MC is so antisocial and profit minded... we go from tea time with cookies to "I can't let you die because then you wouldn't be able to pay me back". People on the Dynasty forums were debating if the author was "free market" Libertarian or something a few episodes ago.
That said, OP protagonists never do much good for drama; Sarasa is facing some difficulty, but needs to be pushed much further to make it dramatic. A formula of going gathering, surprised by monsters which Sarasa beats, is unhelpfully emerging. The business side of the show has been a bit half-hearted, it isn't a fighting or comedy show. Cute swimming lessons and cookie eating are still the major strength, but such personal interactions are getting squeezed out by all the aforementioned less helpful elements. Well-defined characters and relationships are actually vital to the best CGDCT shows (it takes more than cookies and tea), and they aren't there. Although Sarasa's concern with her business and the gatherers' debt doesn't get in the way of their cute friendship at all. Sarasa is fine for them to pay her back whenever, so they can just get on with being helpful friends.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-11-08 at 20:10.
Old 2022-11-08, 04:08   Link #58
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 6:

did not expect a fanservice episode, but I'm not complaining.

when that giant monster showed up, I had the feeling it would be killed and cooked into a delicious meal.

oh, and those guy adventurers were saying Sarasa's shop is cool and comfortable. Her shop probably has some sort of "airconditioning". She could make cooling hats, so it's safe to assume she could cool her own shop as well.

profits earned.

enjoying the anime so far.

looking forward to next week.
Old 2022-11-08, 13:44   Link #59
zeross87

They even have a Fii !
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-14, 14:50   Link #60
Magewolf

Episode 7 was mostly flashbacks but they were all cute. Sarasa seems to want to grow up to be like her Master. She has a shop of her own and a busty assistant/sale clerk now she just needs time for both to grow.

But I do wonder how the klutz has managed to live this long in a dangerous profession.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote