AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-02, 09:49   Link #41
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I am quite glad to see that Chikaru won. But I do fear the outcome of her battle against Shinku (the most likely winner of the current duel unless Nobue surprise us).
Old 2006-10-02, 09:50   Link #42
rei
Nya~ I'm a good actress

653 :れい :2006/10/02(月) 17:53:20

<<吉田一美@灼眼のシャナ>>
<<水銀燈@ローゼンメイデン トロイメント>>

Oh well...it is to be expected. The only Rozen doll left for me is Shinku now. No strawberry on the menu either.

Next battle:

Nobue vs Shinku: I definitely won't underestimate Nobue in this one. Though I hate to admit it but Shinku will probably have a hard time.

Becky vs Alice : I can't vote for Aika last time But I will support Alice in this battle . But it looks like Alice will have a hard time too. She'll need a miracle to win over Becky. Hopefully she'll manage to get 1000++ votes too. Alice, you've got to win this match.
Old 2006-10-02, 09:58   Link #43
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Other than Suiseiseki, Becky, Yuki and maybe Nobue though, my favorite characters from most series are gone.
Don't feel like you are alone out there. The characters remaining from the top of my original list are a bit different (Yuki plus the Utawarerumono inumimi sisters), but the pickings for me in this round of the tournament are pretty slim, and several of those are going head-to-head. There are a few other characters that I have or will be supporting, but the only real interest (from a fan standpoint) I have in 9 of the 16 matches in this round is hoping for some big upsets to liven things up.
Old 2006-10-02, 10:08   Link #44
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
Don't feel like you are alone out there. The characters remaining from the top of my original list are a bit different (Yuki plus the Utawarerumono inumimi sisters), but the pickings for me in this round of the tournament are pretty slim, and several of those are going head-to-head. There are a few other characters that I have or will be supporting, but the only real interest (from a fan standpoint) I have in 9 of the 16 matches in this round is hoping for some big upsets to liven things up.
Honestly, I actually feel pretty lucky. And I forgot that Becky's not actually my favorite from PPD (not sure how I managed to forget Rei). While not many of my absolute favorites are left - I still have lots of characters I like and can vote for. I even have whole matches (like Shana vs Ana) where I like both characters involved; however, on the other hand the Fate/Nanoha matchup has already created a next round matchup where I have no interest in voting so I guess it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I guess I'm a little lucky - it was last year's Saimoe that got me to check out a couple of series with more popular characters in it (like Rozen Maiden and Nanoha) which leads to me having favored characters I'm interested in at the end of this year. This year's tournament has already convinced me that it's probably time to watch ARIA and Strawberry Panic (both series that I have but just haven't gotten around to watching yet).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
I think I clicked a little too soon on the code generator link.

The date was still October 2 and I got a very long list of what appeared to be codes or something similar. 5 minutes later, I closed the screen and tried again to get the usual screen with the new date listed.
Yeah, it's that you were too early. I do that like twice a week.
Old 2006-10-02, 11:20   Link #45
ando

After yesterday's matches:

Today's matches:
Old 2006-10-02, 11:29   Link #46
Rin-Sama
Banned

Quote:
EDIT 2: Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't this make the third day in a row a contest has broken the 2000 vote barrier?

As the list of characters gets narrowed down the votes tend to increase. Probably becasue as characters from an anime are from are knocked out the fans ralley behind the characters that are left, thus increasing the amount of votes. And since by next round there will more than like be only 2 haurhi girls left they will more than likely blast through the field. Especially Mikuru.

Of course by next round it will once again be 2 Haruhi girls going at it.
Old 2006-10-02, 11:40   Link #47
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
As the list of characters gets narrowed down the votes tend to increase. Probably becasue as characters from an anime are from are knocked out the fans ralley behind the characters that are left, thus increasing the amount of votes.
I'm not sure if that's exactly true - the number of voters is increasing over time in this year's tournament. On the one hand I'm not surprised (I didn't vote this year or last year in the qualifiers - how am I supposed to pick between the seventh and ninth girl in a qualifying group? ) - but on the other it seems weird that people would start voting suddenly at this stage. I would think if they'd been holding off on the early rounds they would have waited until after the reshuffle.

EDIT: It's just funny because last year 1000 votes would have pretty much won the tournament. (I'm pretty sure only Nanoha ever got that many, and only in the last round). This year you can lose with 1000 votes before making it out of your block!
Old 2006-10-02, 11:55   Link #48
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
The tournament is (very) slowly getting known across the population I suspect. I think 2 years ago it was hard to gather even a few hundred votes per group? I'm hoping that next year, individual characters will be able to attain 2000+ or 3000+ in Rounds 3+

This tournament needs to have more voters to make it more 'accurate' and exciting ^^

Still, it is a pleasant surprise that suddenly we have a lot more voters in Round 3, even factoring in the "1v1" format. We know that in the qualifying rounds, Group 11 (Group of Death) got 2500 voters so that's kind of like the known maximum with Rounds 1 and 2 groups all having several hundred voters not caring enough to place a vote. We're only left with characters who most people would care about now ^^

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2006-10-02, 12:14   Link #49
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Ahh, that's the factor I'm not thinking of. I "forgot" (not literally, but in terms of my post above) that we went from having three contestants to two, remove one of the people receiving votes and add them into the other two and that accounts for some of the difference. The rest is probably just the overal stronger competition.
Old 2006-10-02, 12:31   Link #50
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Too bad for Gin... She will have her revenge next year. No doubt that the developpement that she will have in RM Ouberture will give her more fans than this year.

For today, my lovely Red Queen will have my vote....
Old 2006-10-02, 12:53   Link #51
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Current voting thread (Round 192)

http://etc4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/vote/1159805491/l50
Old 2006-10-02, 14:10   Link #52
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Invalid vote/time graph for yesterday. And if the person who answered my request in the English 2ch thread is reading this, many thanks.

http://up2.viploader.net/pic2d/src/v...er2d140282.png

Looks like Invalid Vote Guy (it could be a small group of people, but that name sounds better) was voting for Suigintou and Chikaru yesterday. He took several breaks yesterday, as opposed to just the lunch break on 10/1.

Nobue-oneechan for me today. I know she has zero chance against Shinku, but I'll be thrilled if Nobue avoids being beaten by an embarrassing amount. Alice in the other contest, if only because that's my prediction.
Old 2006-10-02, 14:15   Link #53
12da
KNIGHT

Send a message via AIM to 12da
summary of Anime Saimoe Tournament 2006: October Finals!

I just post this to summerize the ongoing battle,
specialy designed for people who cant read japanese and having hard time switching back and forth to look up the name form the japanese site, or just too lazy like me -_-.

i wish i found out about this tourney earlier >.<

I might make mistakes , so please remind me if sumthign is wrong.
quoted from
http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=saimoedu4.png
http://saimoe2006.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

guide on how to vote is already discussed here
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=36686

One who passed the prelim

Sonozaki Mion (higurashi no naku koro ni) 園崎魅音(ひぐらしのなく頃に)win 3rd round

Sawachika eri (skul rumble ) 沢近愛理(スクールランブルシリーズ win 3rd round

Fate testarossa (magical girl lyrica nanohana a’s) フェイト・テスタロッサ (魔法少女リリカルなのはA's) win 3rd round

Takamachi nanoha ( magical lyrical nanohana a’s) 高町なのは (魔法少女リリカルなのはA's)win 3rd round

recent and upcoming battle

10/2 -------------------------------------------------
Yoshida kazumi (shakugan no shana ) 吉田一美(灼眼のシャナ VS
Minamoto Chikaru (strawberry panic ) 源千華留(ストロベリー・パニック)

Suiseiseki ( rozen maiden-traumend) 翠星石(ローゼンメイデン トロイメント vs
suigintou (rozen maiden-traumend) 水銀燈(ローゼンメイデン トロイメント)

10/3-------------------------------------------------------
Itou nobue (ichigo mashimaro ) 伊藤伸恵(苺ましまろ) VS
shinku (rozen maiden-traumend) 真紅(ローゼンメイデン トロイメント)

Rebecca miyamoto-becky(poni poni dash) レベッカ宮本(ぱにぽにだっしゅ!) VS
Alice carol(aria) アリス・キャロル(ARIAシリーズ)

10/4------------------------------------------------------
Asahina mikuru (melancholy of H. Suzumiya) 朝比奈みくる(涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱) VS
Alicia Florence (aria) アリシア・フローレンス(ARIAシリーズ

Shana (shakugan no shana) シャナ(灼眼のシャナ) VS
Anna coppola (ichigo mashimaro) アナ・コッポラ(苺ましまろ)

10/5-----------------------------------------------------
Haruhi suzumiya (haruhi) 涼宮ハルヒ(涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱) VS
Nagato yuki ( haruhi ) 長門有希(涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱)

Aruru(utawarerumono) アルルゥ(うたわれるもの) VS
Yagami hayate (magical girl lyrical nanohana a’s) 八神はやて(魔法少女リリカルなのはA's)

10/6------------------------------------------------------
Hazuki (tsukuyomi-moon phase) 葉月(月詠 -MOON PHASE-) VS
Tohsaka rin (fate stay night_ 遠坂凛(Fate/stay night

Houjou Satoko (higurashi no naku koro ni) 北条沙都子(ひぐらしのなく頃に)VS
Suzumi Tamao (strawberry panic !) 涼水玉青(ストロベリー・パニック)

10/7------------------------------------------------------
Hitotsubashi Yurie (kamichu!) 一橋ゆりえ(かみちゅ!) VS
Kaminagi ryoko Zegapain 守凪了子(ZEGAPAIN)

Fujioka Haruhi (ouran high host club ) 藤岡ハルヒ(桜蘭高校ホスト部) VS
Eruru (utawarerumono ) エルルゥ(うたわれるもの)
Old 2006-10-02, 14:25   Link #54
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

From the results and the discussion, it seems to me that this has become a popularity contest rather than a moe tournament. Is that the case?

Moe should mean that the cutest, most vulnerable-seeming character should win every time (e.g., Kyon no imouto), the one that makes you burn with a desire to protect them at all costs. Not characters with swords or knives or powerful magic they can use to protect themselves.

Sorry I haven't read all the threads. Maybe this has been discussed earlier.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-10-02, 14:26   Link #55
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
Nobue-oneechan for me today. I know she has zero chance against Shinku, but I'll be thrilled if Nobue avoids being beaten by an embarrassing amount. Alice in the other contest, if only because that's my prediction.

Hrm, taking a straw poll it doesnt seem to hopeful for Nobue-oneechan. There seems to be nearly 1.5 shinku votes for everyone of hers, but I'm hoping most of those are fake. As someone in the voting thread posted: 真紅様好きです!しかしここはあえて伸恵お姉ちゃんで!!
Shinku is awesome, but she is not "Moe", so I must vote Nobue as well.
Old 2006-10-02, 14:38   Link #56
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
From the results and the discussion, it seems to me that this has become a popularity contest rather than a moe tournament. Is that the case?
IMO it's more a "everybody is voting for the characters from their favourite anime" contest...
Old 2006-10-02, 14:38   Link #57
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:

Moe should mean that the cutest, most vulnerable-seeming character should win every time (e.g., Kyon no imouto), the one that makes you burn with a desire to protect them at all costs. Not characters with swords or knives or powerful magic they can use to protect themselves.

Sorry I haven't read all the threads. Maybe this has been discussed earlier.
Ahaha, yeah regardless of the exact definition and semantics of what Moe is, it's inevitable that it's going to turn into a bit of a popularity contest. It is worth noting though, that Moe has an entirely subjective definition that is kept vague and fuzzy ^^;; Well, for an attempt at answering, see kj1980's post on it.

I can say though, that Psycho Moe by definition would require Knives or Boxcutter or AXECHETTE or such weapon which could be used for self-defence (but of course is used for offense). I have come to take the term to mean "what proc's you hard and (in elite cases) grips your chest".

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2006-10-02, 14:39   Link #58
aeroshadow
?

Send a message via AIM to aeroshadow
Quote:
Pretty much.

I'm pleased that Chikaru won, but I doubt she'll get past Shinku. Then again, I didn't expect she'd get past Rika, so there might be a chance...

As for Fate's victory, I'm pleased, but not as much as I would've been if it was a little while ago. Recently, I've suddenly gained an appreciation for Rena that made her stand pretty much equal with Fate in my eyes. Here's to hoping she'll beat Nanoha... er, actually, I've recently gained a newfound appreciation for her as well (@_@), due to a few some conversations about her personality that is slightly derailed from the typical mahou shoujo personality... er... more on that when the Nanoha/Fate battle comes.

I don't care that much about who wins today, but I wouldn't mind if Alice took the cake.
Old 2006-10-02, 14:55   Link #59
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
EDIT 2: Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't this make the third day in a row a contest has broken the 2000 vote barrier?
Actually, both contests yesterday missed 2000, Suisei-Suigin just missed at 1990. The first 4 contests all cleared 2000 by comfortable margins.

I think that the intra-show contests will have the lowest total votes, since there'll be a lot of folks skipping those contests if they don't care about or like the show. Maybe Haruhi-Yuki will be an exception.

Characters from ARIA are difficult to predict, I don't think it's one of the super-popular series, but those who like it seem to be very loyal to its characters.
Old 2006-10-02, 15:00   Link #60
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
Ahaha, yeah regardless of the exact definition and semantics of what Moe is,
Ive encountered situations where someone was described as "Moe for wafuku", which really says more about the person with the predilection than the object of said predilection. So it means to mean that if you like something, then you are "Moe" for it, rather than it being "Moe".
Perhaps if lots of people are "Moe" for a specific thing/person, then it/she might be described as "Moe" itself/herself. Anyway, thats my take on it.

Quote:
タバコを吸う女は嫌いなので消去法で
It looks like Nobue is suffering for her smoking habit in some cases.
I dont like smoking myself either, but I think her addiction makes her cute.
Closed Thread