AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Old 2015-12-29, 15:02   Link #41
EroKing

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-26 at 11:59.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 09:25   Link #42
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^Oh my. Which elf is sexier?
Old 2015-12-30, 09:51   Link #43
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangowr View Post
Manga vs. Anime side character
Spoiler for Big picgure:
But the manga isn't the original source. The mange added a lot more violence, gore and nudity then the light novel.

Does anyone have a chart with the LN designs?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 10:03   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Uh. I wonder about the old knight. Anime makes him look like a loyal old retainer, manga makes him look like he'll betray the princess sooner or later. And possibly attempt to rape her.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 10:58   Link #45
Brother Coa
Banned

I really hate how they represented Russian president as some old guy instead of Putin clone that we can see in both LN and manga.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 14:08   Link #46
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Uh. I wonder about the old knight. Anime makes him look like a loyal old retainer, manga makes him look like he'll betray the princess sooner or later. And possibly attempt to rape her.
That's a bad picture of him in that comparison shot. Probably from an interaction with an enemy. In the manga, at least, his personality is basically Hudson from Gargoyles. The jolly old warrior who cares for his younger charges and isn't as badass as he used to be, but is still a fair bit more capable than he looks. His character design usually reflects that, rather than the "rapey love child of Lex Luthor and the Kingpin" that that picture suggests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
I really hate how they represented Russian president as some old guy instead of Putin clone that we can see in both LN and manga.
He looks a bit like Brezhnev, only without the FLCL eyebrows.
Old 2015-12-31, 16:41   Link #47
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
But the manga isn't the original source. The mange added a lot more violence, gore and nudity then the light novel.
the original novel only has cover art, that means a lot of side characters were never portrayed from it, manga predates LN, so a lot of side characters design made their first appearances in manga instead of LN. and if you pay attention, the LN also adopt some of them before LN leapfrog manga in publishing speed, but both LN and manga use more or less the original Novel cover character design if there is one.

the manga did not add the violence and gore and nudity, they are in the original novel in words instead of pictures, the LN only has insert arts here and there, and of course they pick the key scenes instead of showing all the violence and sex parts, it is not the LN did not have them, they still do, in words, just LN insert art did not do them,

and obviously the anime adopt the LN's more moe, easier to draw character design and skimmed the sex and violence from the original NOVEL, not just the manga, to stay away from trouble and be able to show them on public TV,

Quote:
Does anyone have a chart with the LN designs?
if you are so interested you can do one yourself. and the first problem you will run into is the LN insert arts did not cover all the characters already shown in anime and manga, that is why nobody bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I recommend you to read the gaiden manga Pina and her Rose Knight, the old knight Grey's name is "ALDO", do a search and you will know why he got that name, (this author's naming process of his story characters is very easy to read.) for being the instructor when it was formed Grey is probably the most experienced and bad ass member of the entire Rose Knight, that is why Pina did not worry about him during battle. and Grey at least from the novel is just a loyal retainer, (he is not old, he is 42, getting bold probably for being the teacher had to watch Pina grows up from a 11 years old little girl to a 19 years old adult woman, when he started teaching Rose Knight at 33 he had a full head of hair!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
he is not the only one the anime stay away from, the Japan prime minster, the defense minister/Itami's friend, the congress woman who did the questioning all are portray from real personality in manga, those actually a bigger deal in Japan than staying away from Putin likeness,

Last edited by Hata; 2015-12-31 at 16:52.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-01, 01:57   Link #48
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
he is not the only one the anime stay away from, the Japan prime minster, the defense minister/Itami's friend, the congress woman who did the questioning all are portray from real personality in manga, those actually a bigger deal in Japan than staying away from Putin likeness,
Yep. Even I was able to recognize some of the IRL Japanese politicians they were "borrowing" the likenesses of (and in some cases parodying outright). Thank you, Legend of Koizumi...
Old 2016-01-08, 10:43   Link #49
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-26 at 10:00.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 07:35   Link #50
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

About designs discussion.

For example, Shino's design is one of the biggest deviations. In Novel description and LN art she looks a lot more like her anime design (trained but still quite pretty short girl), while in manga they made her look like some female heavy-lifter or cliche butch-lesbian.

Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 17:19   Link #51
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
About designs discussion.

For example, Shino's design is one of the biggest deviations. In Novel description and LN art she looks a lot more like her anime design (trained but still quite pretty short girl), while in manga they made her look like some female heavy-lifter or cliche butch-lesbian.

Wow... Just because in the manga she's short but isn't built like a loli doesn't mean she's "cliche butch lesbian". She may not be as skinny as the actual lesbian in the cast, but she's still built quite femininely. Don't let her combative demeanor cloud your perceptions.
Old 2016-01-11, 00:51   Link #52
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Are you kidding me? just compare the arts.
Old 2016-01-11, 02:15   Link #53
shadow1296

can you two not start arguing about which character designs better, its really not going to help anyone because its all really a matter of opinion and its just going devolve and get rather ugly rather quickly because its opinion based and neither of you are wrong in what you say because of it. quigon you are not wrong when you say she is still built rather femininely but neither is nacht when he says she looks like a female-body builder(butch lesbian was a little over the top) that said if you were to ask my opinion on it i would go with nacht's assessment of the character design in the manga, that is only because i think the more lets say detailed style of the hurts the character design of most of the human characters far more than it helps, but most of the nonhuman characters are done way better in the manga than the anime thanks to that style
Old 2016-01-11, 11:49   Link #54
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I talked more about LN/manga comparison. And the argument begin with one specific character which were drawn totally different in manga than other media. It wasn't about anime/manga design comparison.
Old 2016-01-11, 12:54   Link #55
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I talked more about LN/manga comparison. And the argument begin with one specific character which were drawn totally different in manga than other media. It wasn't about anime/manga design comparison.
it doesn't matter that is how it starts, so please drop it at least for now
Old 2016-01-12, 03:27   Link #56
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Well, I at least hope we can all agree that Rory's manga design is superior to the anime "cat ear ribbon" design. Makes her look more badass, too. Manga Rory can do all that wicked stuff in a full length dress (albeit one that gives her leg freedom in front). Anime Rory had to trim it to a skirt.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2016-01-12 at 21:23. Reason: "cat ear ribbon" not "cat eat ribbon"...though as a cat owner I can vouch that the latter does happen...
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-12, 16:40   Link #57
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Well, I at least hope we can all agree that Rory's manga design is superior to the anime "cat eat ribbon" design. Makes her look more badass, too. Manga Rory can do all that wicked stuff in a full length dress (albeit one that gives her leg freedom in front). Anime Rory had to trim it to a skirt.
Sorry, going to have to disagree with that too. My opinion is anime designs > manga designs.
Old 2016-01-19, 18:45   Link #58
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Sorry, going to have to disagree with that too. My opinion is anime designs > manga designs.
Preach it, my brother. The anime designs are great, ESPECIALLY Rori. Oh, and Hamilton. I don't know why, but I love Hamilton.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-19, 20:44   Link #59
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I agree. Itami looks just right, Rory is great as is Yao and Pina.
Old 2016-01-20, 04:57   Link #60
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Preach it, my brother. The anime designs are great, ESPECIALLY Rori. Oh, and Hamilton. I don't know why, but I love Hamilton.
Definitely loving the anime look for Hamilton.