Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-01-21, 21:10   Link #41
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuchen
It is MHO that all dubs are crappy, it is like choosing rather to fall off empire state building or get run over by 120 carts train.... I personally stay with original audio and "good" sub (with very heavy emphasis on "good",) listening to original japanese (or any other languages) is just more natural.... let's not forget the good old classic example of bad dub gone crappy-ORGINAL GOZILLA!!
Quickly, Quickly, let's show our ineptitude people can compare one thing that really bears no relevance on another!!! holy shit!!!

Dubbing Live-Action and Dubbing Animation in to Different languages are completely different. Where as Live Action incorperates sound and movement as one being, even then in the ADR process, it's still the same actors and the same feeling. The voices put through those characters are the same, and given lipflaps and what not, it is IMPOSSIBLE to actually match them in a different language.

Animation however is all recorded AFTER the initial character movements are done. They're done after all lip-flaps are animated and all bodies are moving. Even Miyazaki himself went to say "All Animation is dubbed", which is just common sense.

Then you go on about "The Original Language, The Original Japanese". What about Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust? What About Tenchi In Love?

Eh
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 21:32   Link #42
Ral
Idea!

The worse dubs that I can think of have to be Yu-Gi-Oh, Knights of the Zodiac (good thing ADV released its own version), and Saiyan-1st half Freeza saga in DBZ. After Funi got away from Saban, DBZ started to get a better dub.
Ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 22:13   Link #43
Weissent
on and off member

English sub of "Porco Rosso" = teh suck. Honestly, did they only use like 4 actors for this job? They set a good example how a bad dub can absolutely ruin an otherwise awesome flick.

Another good example what can go wrong, would be the German version of "Plastic Little". They showed it a few years ago on German TV. And boy did they screw that one up. The voice acting was overall bad / annoying and the obviously didn't have the money to hire some decent actors with a little more experience (older ... ) and got stuck with some dub-noobs (lol). The result was that the whole cast was probably younger than 25, which doesn't really sound too convincing when they have to dub characters that appear to be older/mature in the original
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 22:56   Link #44
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ral
The worse dubs that I can think of have to be Yu-Gi-Oh, Knights of the Zodiac (good thing ADV released its own version), and Saiyan-1st half Freeza saga in DBZ. After Funi got away from Saban, DBZ started to get a better dub.
Hmmm I guess I'm semi-lucky then. Up here in canada we had a canadian re-dub of yu-gi-oh and DBZ. It was the same edited script read by people at Ocean Studios.

The major problem with this thread is that people aren't posting the worst dubs just the really bad ones that everyone knows of. The truely bad dubs no one watches because they're released on vhs only.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 00:36   Link #45
Tabiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Hmmm I guess I'm semi-lucky then. Up here in canada we had a canadian re-dub of yu-gi-oh and DBZ. It was the same edited script read by people at Ocean Studios.

The major problem with this thread is that people aren't posting the worst dubs just the really bad ones that everyone knows of. The truely bad dubs no one watches because they're released on vhs only.

Ala Transformers the Headmasters.
Old 2004-01-22, 00:55   Link #46
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
Ala Transformers the Headmasters.
Hurrah! Something I haven't heard of. I'm not sure if I want to hear it now though. Hmm.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-22, 01:47   Link #47
Tabiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Hurrah! Something I haven't heard of. I'm not sure if I want to hear it now though. Hmm.
Oh it's pure gold. I'll record some and send it to you on that wonderful IRC machine internet device motorcar
Old 2004-01-22, 20:07   Link #48
Dark Schneider

The worst dub that I have seen is captan Harlock it is horrable.
Dark Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 18:35   Link #49
CC Ricers
Governating the peasants

The Tenchi Muyo dubs are awful, because Aeka's voice really turns me off. She sounds so prissy and dainty it's unbearable, even if she is Jurai royalty.

If you hate LH's Southern accents don't get Abenobashi, they do the same thing. Their voices got on my nerves for a while but I grew accustomed to them. Apparently they used Texan accents for Abenobashi to compensate for the loss of the Osaka accents in the Japanese dub.
CC Ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 18:50   Link #50
Chibi Ice Wolf

Send a message via AIM to Chibi Ice Wolf
Crest of the Stars >.<
Chibi Ice Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 19:49   Link #51
RichMan
????

The worst dubbing (IMO) would have to be DragonBall(original, Z, and GT) and Cardcaptor Sakura

DB and DBZ were dubbed bad, but DBGT was screwed over the most!

As for Cardcaptor Sakura(in America dubbed as Cardcaptors) that would have to ve the worst dub of all time! First off, there's only one CardCaptor and that is Sakura(Li and Meilin are NOT cardcaptors! Li doesn't have any possible way of sealing the cards and Meilin has no magical powers at all). Secondly, there are 70 japanese episodes and only 30 english episodes. and thirdy, all the massive cuts and storychanges.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 20:58   Link #52
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

HA, You want crappy dubbs?

Ok let me tell you a story.

In a country far far away from Japan, In the snowy wastes and plains of cold. There once came a anime known as Cyborg 009. It was a "good" anime, but soon the evil swedes got their frost giant hands on it and they said "This is in a language we can not understand" and it was reply'd "We shall dubb it to make it our own."

And so it began. The anime was ripped of original sound and the swedes added their own. The language the dubbed it to was ofcourse Swedish becuse this was the only thing they could think to do. But soon they found that the sounds did not fit so they changed the grammar and soon it was no longer Swedish but language of pure dubbed evil. (actually I checked with my Swedish teacher, she laughed at me and wonderd if someone from the 1:st grade hade written it >_>; )

But the worst was still to come, for now they had their evil text, but they needed voices. For this they called on ONE man to do ALL the voices in the show (wich includes men,children, girls, old men, men from other countries) and thus it came that evryone sounded alike. The man they found for this job was good in their eyes for he had never heard words as, acting, feeling, or effort.

To seal the anime with evil they put it on VHS cassets wich where probably found in some guys shoes (They sucked mucho). And so it was sold to the Swedish people who saw its evil and turned from anime forever.
Dark_Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 02:29   Link #53
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
As for Cardcaptor Sakura(in America dubbed as Cardcaptors) that would have to ve the worst dub of all time! First off, there's only one CardCaptor and that is Sakura(Li and Meilin are NOT cardcaptors! Li doesn't have any possible way of sealing the cards and Meilin has no magical powers at all). Secondly, there are 70 japanese episodes and only 30 english episodes. and thirdy, all the massive cuts and storychanges.
I'm not sure that the real problem here was the dub, but this is a perfect example of a localization gone wrong. It's just a horrible thing that they did in order to make this show more palletable to the North American stereotypical cartoon audience (i.e. kids, mostly male). The dub cast itself wasn't all that bad, I don't think, but it was just the horrible localization that ruined it.

When we talk about the "crappiest dubs ever", I guess we may need to make some sort of distinction between bad cast/acting, and bad localization/translation/adaptation. Certainly CCS and Sailor Moon would qualify in my book as bad localizations (bad translation/editing/changes), while a few of the actors in Love Hina qualify as bad casting decisions (in my book, at least).

Anyways, as far as cast/acting goes, I actually didn't mind the dub actors for Escaflowne, or Gundam Wing, or even Fruits Basket (although it couldn't quite compete with the original cast). When the voices seem to match the personalities of the characters for the most part, that's a good dub.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 04:11   Link #54
LVO

I was never a big fan of the Trigun dub...Vash's voice was like nails on a chalkboard...yeesh.
LVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 04:14   Link #55
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVO
I was never a big fan of the Trigun dub...Vash's voice was like nails on a chalkboard...yeesh.
I always thought Vash sounded too much like a teenager, but I guess it was ok I heard worse.
Old 2004-01-25, 20:56   Link #56
Ivyna J. Spyder

Well someone all ready mentioned Yugioh so...

The Kirby dub is horrendous. Not many people know though, since it's rather obscure, and they just assume the show sucks, when it's really just the dub. XD It's a typical 4Kids job- meaning they change everything, music, voices, dialogue, personalities... It's not a complete hackjob, but they mess it up enough that it's hard to enjoy.

If we're just talking voice acting though- yeah, it's pretty bad. O_o Stereotypical accents up the wazoo. One character (Dedede) sounds like an angry Texan, and another character (Meta Knight) has this awful 'Taco Bell Dog' accent. >_< It hurts my brain.

Some voices are okay, but most of the dub voices don't have near the range of the originals... Meta Knight is pretty emotional in the original, but in the dub... blech. Everyone assumes he's all quiet and angsty because his english VA can't do any emotion in the voice without the accent sounding even worse. O_o

Another character with a great original voice, in the dub sounds... well, as my friend pointed out, he always sounds depressed/suicidal in the dub. XD

Don't get me started on the eps and scenes they cut for no reason! O_o And the fact they cut out Kirby's lines... Argh...

Yes, pet peeve of mine. XD
Ivyna J. Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 21:13   Link #57
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Cardcaptors is too obvious...

How about Love Hina? AARRRGGHHH MY EARS! MY VIRGIN EARS!!
Old 2004-01-28, 15:56   Link #58
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Kenshin's dub has to be up there with some of the worst...for some reason I didnt enjoy it much...at all...Subed blew it away. But then again, I am not one to really like dubs anyhow.
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 17:09   Link #59
Tritium
doaho...

yeah i hated those kenshin dubs too... wasn't the voice of kenshin, captain america's voice in the marvel cartoons
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 21:04   Link #60
daliinn

Not to diss Bebop or anything, but they could have done a better job dubbing the movie. It was still good though..
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote