AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 29 32.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 29.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 17.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.41%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.14%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.14%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-29, 02:44   Link #41
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hmmm clever, I was wondering how they would fit the contents into this episode, looks like removing the OP and overlapping the ED did the trick.

I'm going to get the obvious thing out of the way first, the background art is as brilliant as before, but it looks like they cut back on the faces. Up close it's fine, but from a distance you could tell it's a bit off. This is the first time I've heard Wakamoto talk that much in a long while I'm more used to him saying one liners with imperial gusto For those people who haven't guessed, the Bishop's power lines in the meanings of the cross, all of it's meanings. Before being a holy symbol for Christianity, the Cross was also a symbol that represent 'execution'.

So yeah like I'm first mentioned they've manage to squeeze in all the major and some minor points into this episode and it did work out quite okay. But I'm sure people were more looking forward to the next arc heh. In the end it wasn't the appearance of Kanzaki or Mikoto that got me all excited, but the ever 'lovely' Vent of the Front heh

(Never heard of her VA before though)
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 03:03   Link #42
Johnny
Working the bags...

For a second there I thought Angelene was going to capture the title for the "let's get em boys" heavy weight speech division, but was soundly beaten by the reigning champion Touma in the end...

Also is Touma ever going to learn that sometimes one Falcon punch isn't going to be enough and that you need to check and make sure his/her ass is going to stay down before you start preaching...?

Oh and the Kanzaki part at the end...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 03:12   Link #43
Peanutbutter

Looks like Ep 17 will be something to remember.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 03:18   Link #44
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Vento of the front you really steal this episode for me... from here is just epicness overdose.
Phibrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 03:34   Link #45
hoarfrost

I haven't watched this episode yet, but you know, I don't really think I agree that leaving out explication is best. If you want to call an adaptation 'good' it has to stand by its own merits. Infinite Stratos just had what I believe to be it's dumbest episode yet due to a glaring omission of explanations for why things happened the way they did. As far as explication goes, I would say that it's the efficiency and conciseness that matters rather than the amount. I'm recalling several things from this season alone that could have been explained much better and in much simpler terms than they were(off the bat, Oriana's shorthand originals come to mind). I don't even think that the explications in Index really take a long time as it is.

Another problem is the source material itself. Let's face it: much time in Index that could be spent making more logical sense of things is wasted on the same repetitive fanservice scenes(don't have an inherent problem with fanservice, but let's keep it interesting. The same situation just with different girls just gets repetitive) and the endless character cameos that come from the author's inability to kill or permanently leave behind any named characters. I can only imagine how much more plot and explication could be fit in without those two but anything further probably belongs in a more general thread.

I won't speak for anyone else but I'm entertained by this show because I like a well built universe with solid logic. And in that regard, much potential is wasted by Index. When doing this kind of thing, you start with broad rules, and build on them, occasionally(but not frequently) adding subversions for interest's sake. Problems arise 1) because the writer juggles too many theories of magic and 2) because the adapters of the anime leave out or screw up the explication that makes this barely cohesive.

tl:dr Slightly more but mostly better explication would serve well. If people complain that Index is too wordy, they must be used to some pretty simple anime.

At any rate, I guess I'll be waiting three more weeks to see what I really want to see if vol.12 will really be two episodes, though I can't imagine why.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 04:10   Link #46
tsunade666

because vol 12 only starts for me in the near end. The first part doesn't need more elaboration. 1 episode is enough.

So next episode is enough for chit chats and episode 18 will start the war.
Old 2011-01-29, 04:17   Link #47
Hiandromon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Ironically, the Pope in Index is actually a pretty decent guy (You'll see), the rest of the organization might be 'less-than-pleasant', but this is the first time a fictional religious leader (That is not a girl) turns out to be a good person and not a two-face backstabber like... Well, every other Pope in anime fiction.
I hope so, because I am very worried at how the Catholic church is depicted in this series.Yes I am a Catholic, and no I'm not being picky. I can handle them showing members of the church as bad guys, I don't believe being of one religon make's someone good or bad. Individual 'people' are good or bad, everything else is other information.
but it seems that 'every' villain is evil because they are with the Catholic church in this series, and only stop being evil when they are no longer a part of it. I can understand that it is logically a good choice in a 'fictional' world where Religion=magic, while Christianity has the most followers and Catholicism has the most followers among Christianity, they could be portrayed as the largest/most powerful force. But to me it just come's off as kinda hateful most of the time, especially when compared to the other Christian religions shown in the series.
I really do like the series though, what do you guys think?
Hiandromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 04:35   Link #48
Bordix

Ahh that was a wordy episode. Definitely helps that Biago had such an amusing voice to keep me from shutting my eyes. It was just like listening to a hammered guy talk about the church, very entertaining. As for Vent, not the voice that I expected but I can tell I'll get used it. I'm still surprised that she appeared in this episode though. I must have missed something in vol 12-13.

So new opening and the start of the most anticipated arc of the series next week. Goddamn the wait is painful.
Old 2011-01-29, 05:00   Link #49
zero7090

OMG Kanzaki service
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 05:58   Link #50
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Awesome episode.

Especially Touma's evasive moves and his fight against Biago was quite intense. Yeah~! He Touma punched him real good for twice.

By the way, I heard a trend in here that some guys refers Touma's right hand punch as Falcon punch. Why not named it as Touma Punch instead since Falcon punch was named from Captain Falcon?

Ah yes, now enters the Vento Of The Front, along with The God Right Seat. I bet this God Right Seat would heat things up even more.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward for some more Touma x Mikoto goodness next week. SWEET~!!!
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 06:27   Link #51
testtesttest

It isn't Catholic.
十字聖教(jyuuji seikyou)
testtesttest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 07:27   Link #52
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiandromon View Post
I hope so, because I am very worried at how the Catholic church is depicted in this series.Yes I am a Catholic, and no I'm not being picky. I can handle them showing members of the church as bad guys, I don't believe being of one religon make's someone good or bad. Individual 'people' are good or bad, everything else is other information.
but it seems that 'every' villain is evil because they are with the Catholic church in this series, and only stop being evil when they are no longer a part of it. I can understand that it is logically a good choice in a 'fictional' world where Religion=magic, while Christianity has the most followers and Catholicism has the most followers among Christianity, they could be portrayed as the largest/most powerful force. But to me it just come's off as kinda hateful most of the time, especially when compared to the other Christian religions shown in the series.
...Well, it's not actually the Catholic church. It's close to the Catholic church certainly, but there was a long translation discussion about whether it was actually translated correctly, before I believe someone said "No, it's not"

Admittedly, one church gets a lot of the flack, but I think its because its the 'oldest'. I, personally, don't consider these so much as churches as I do cults. XD
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 07:32   Link #53
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Orsola is a good person even before she defected.

If it makes you feel any better, what I like is that no one faction of sizable power is completely good. It's hard to remember, but Necessarius was pretty hardcore in the past with it's Archbishop still working the political scenes to her favor while playing the good guy so long as it suits her. As evil and fanatic as the Catholic zealots are, how is it any different when they kill in the name of 'God', and when the Scientists of Academy City toy with other people's lives in the name of Science?

There are evil people to be found everywhere in every faction or belief in the toaruverse
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 07:35   Link #54
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
The catholics aren't really evil but antagonists. That could be one solution or the author is basing this off some history and the catholic church didn't have a good one. You'll see, its not that the catholics want to kill but its help people by converting them cuz they want to save them. Really like we said a few pages baxk the pope of this series is really a nice man. He just doesn't have much power.
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 07:35   Link #55
Minagi Mikoto

Excellent episode 9/10!

Episode surprises:

- Finally Uragami! Accompanying Itsuwa and others!

Spoiler for Uragami and Itsuwa:

- Touma's amazing fight with Biagio

- Heaven Canceler to throw Touma straightly into Mikoto's trap!

- Tsuchimikado playing aroung with Kanzaki and then MAID SERVICE?! You may say I don't have taste but I rather see Kanzaki as a deadly saint rather than a fanservice tool!

- Orsola and Agnese staying with Kanzaki?

- A god's right seat member, Vento of the Front, giving Pope orders

I can't wait to watch the next episode! Accelerator again!

Last edited by Minagi Mikoto; 2011-01-29 at 13:25.
Minagi Mikoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 07:43   Link #56
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

those who want kanzaki serving them

Spoiler for lolz:
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 08:36   Link #57
IppoTsuko
Acadamy City's Number One

was considering giving 5/10 until Vento appear at the end
Old 2011-01-29, 09:09   Link #58
D-Gold
Aurum

He lost the moment he didn't make sure Touma was dead.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:11   Link #59
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

This was a good episode, Touma sure can dodge when it matters. Got to love Wakamoto-san's voice, always a pleasure to hear.
Anyway with this arc over and the next one coming up can't wait. Heaven Canceler telling Touma to come back to AC immediately even if injured, such a great doctor.

Well punishment game next ep, so new op, new uniforms, moar Accel + LO, moar Misaka imoutos scenes, and other stuff.

Oh and Vento's voice I like it. Also the pope looks awesome too.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:11   Link #60
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Now that you're mentioned Gratuitous Kanzaki Fanservice, I do recall that in the SIXTEENTH episode of the First Season, Kanzaki also showed from Gratuitous Kanzaki Fanservice.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote