AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2021-03-29, 05:00   Link #41
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

You know, you can hate a specific studio as much as you want. But wishing them to go bankrupt just because of it is a bit to much.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 05:29   Link #42
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I never said anything about going bankrupt. But they were already an embarrassment to the entire industry and now they’ve destroyed an entire project because they did something illegal. I think any consequences they face are their own doing.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 06:54   Link #43
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

With the production getting cancelled entirely and restarting from scratch it is unknown whether GoHands and/or King Records will be replaced by other companies (Kadokawa will remain part of the production committee but it's unknown if they'll be the new publisher for the anime if King Records outright refuse to continue support the project anymore) or they will remain part of the production committees albeit with different producers, animation teams and other sponsors at large.

Finally I stumbled an interesting link taken from ANN, showing that GoHands have other examples of plagiarism:
https://mobile.twitter.com/otomebunn...48534400643074
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 09:00   Link #44
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

With the project being cancelled, we’ll keep this thread open for comments until the end of the week then close it.

Thank you.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 09:18   Link #45
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

But it is not technically cancelled. It is more like a decision to change the whole staff and restart the production.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 16:12   Link #46
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I never said anything about going bankrupt. But they were already an embarrassment to the entire industry and now they’ve destroyed an entire project because they did something illegal.
Putting this project I aside, I fail to see how they were an embarrassment or whatever. They had some bad project, some good ones too, pretty much like any studio out there.
Old 2021-03-29, 17:02   Link #47
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The title of the thread is really misleading. The Tokyo Babylon anime is still happening, just not with GoHands, which is probably for the best.
Old 2021-03-29, 18:04   Link #48
Kazu-kun

Kadowaka and Clamp said they're still want to do the series, but that's not an official confirmation. Until an official announcement is made, the project is indeed cancelled.

Honestly, it could takes years, or it might not happen at all. At this point, we don't know.
Old 2021-03-29, 18:29   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Kadowaka and Clamp said they're still want to do the series, but that's not an official confirmation. Until an official announcement is made, the project is indeed cancelled.

Honestly, it could takes years, or it might not happen at all. At this point, we don't know.
If they still want to do it, and it's confirmed they do, it will happen. This isn't some random no-name series.
Old 2021-03-30, 02:44   Link #50
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
I never said anything about going bankrupt. But they were already an embarrassment to the entire industry and now they’ve destroyed an entire project because they did something illegal. I think any consequences they face are their own doing.
What do you think about ufotable, BTW?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-30, 03:42   Link #51
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Putting this project I aside, I fail to see how they were an embarrassment or whatever. They had some bad project, some good ones too, pretty much like any studio out there.
Clamp dont want their brand name to be associated with this kind of stunt.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-30, 03:52   Link #52
tsunade666

what's the problem with gohands and the production committee system?

it's such a sad thing to see it cancelled.
Old 2021-03-30, 04:08   Link #53
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I have only seen a couple of their early works, but with the exception of Seitokai Yakuindomo, visually they're like the worst parts of post-K-On! KyoAni, Shaft, P.A. Works and Ufotable mixed into a single animation studio that literally re-use their artstyle, their animation style and their Instagram filter aesthetics into every show they make, not to mention with post-K shows not only being the same urban fantasy fare, even the scriptwriters their producers hire more or less have very questionable writing quality.
MyAnimeList
Old 2021-03-30, 04:13   Link #54
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
What do you think about ufotable, BTW?
Very serious and should absolutely be addressed through the legal system. Whatever punishment is levied, they should pay it. But we're not talking about artistic fraud here, strictly financial. With GoHands you have something systemic - their plagiarism has been an open secret in the industry for years, and it was considered inevitable that it would eventually bite them in the ass.

I'm not in any way diminishing the seriousness of tax evasion, merely pointing out that it's an apples and oranges scenario. What's happening at GoHands is repeated theft of intellectual property and extraordinarily shoddy production levels. Their very competence to exist as an entity is called into question by their actions, and i don't think anyone would say that about ufotable.
Old 2021-03-30, 04:22   Link #55
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Very serious and should absolutely be addressed through the legal system. Whatever punishment is levied, they should pay it. But we're not talking about artistic fraud here, strictly financial. With GoHands you have something systemic - their plagiarism has been an open secret in the industry for years, and it was considered inevitable that it would eventually bite them in the ass.

I'm not in any way diminishing the seriousness of tax evasion, merely pointing out that it's an apples and oranges scenario. What's happening at GoHands is repeated theft of intellectual property and extraordinarily shoddy production levels. Their very competence to exist as an entity is called into question by their actions, and i don't think anyone would say that about ufotable.
I saw an /a/ thread talking about this and by curiosity I saw the following link that means that what GoHands is doing is supposedly legal in Japan:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3547552
Quote:
The Japanese Trademark Act (JTA) was revised in 1996 to introduce a registration system for 3D marks. However, JTA and the Unfair Competition Prevention Act (UCPA) provide very limited protection for fashion designs, such as clothing and accessories as the indication of origin of goods. The fundamental doctrines for protecting 3D trademarks, distinctiveness and functionality, are under-developed in Japan compared with those developed in the United States and Europe through case law, and outdated for failing to consider the globalization of the fashion market because the Intellectual Property High Court (IP High Court) has developed case law that sets a high hurdle for fashion designers to meet in order to register their clothing and accessories as 3D marks without using the marks widely in Japan before filing for registration.
Another thing I learned is that whomever caused the controversy to happen are rumored to be K-pop fans (who are known to be very toxic in certain matters) mainly because the main heroine is wearing an outfit taken from a female K-pop star.
MyAnimeList
Old 2021-03-30, 05:24   Link #56
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

K-pop stan toxicity aside, it was surprising that the official statement included a mention on more than one case of plagiarism related to GoHands. That's the biggest surprise to me.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-30, 08:03   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
K-pop stan toxicity aside, it was surprising that the official statement included a mention on more than one case of plagiarism related to GoHands. That's the biggest surprise to me.
Like I said, an open secret for years.
Old 2021-03-30, 09:26   Link #58
pinoscotto

Quote:

if there was no GoHand announcement to begin with, but just a declaration from Clamp about their will to make an anime, would a thread about this be allowed?

If yes than I suppose the cancelled tag should be removed, if no it should stay
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-30, 13:38   Link #59
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post

it's such a sad thing to see it cancelled.
You probably aren't asking about what is wrong with production committees in general as much as in this case, but the production committee system is pretty much how the anime industry is able to create so much trash each year without companies bankrupting left and right.

As for GoHands, I honestly only like their job on Seitokai Yakuindomo. I don't positively have any impression of them working on other anime. Not that this is a problem on hand for me. Just saying.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-30, 13:48   Link #60
AnimeFangirl

A storm in a teacup. Every manga artist uses real life sources to draw from, even famous artists. What's the big deal?