AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2007-05-25, 17:06   Link #521
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As for the first season, we differ on what "most" means I'd say it seriously diverged about half way through (including the ep 19 Sayako story -- which I actually liked better than the manga rendition). But then it went straight off the chart at ep 20... in a bad way.

I don't think I'll quite be able to ever abide the idea they didn't ... just ... do ... the Kyoto Arc. It would have made a fine ending with open threads for another season.

Sometimes when I'm extra-annoyed, I wonder if Ken is like George Lucas >>> created something bigger than him that he had no idea what it was really about but then I remember that he's only a small part of the team that adapts his stuff.

I should probably make a list of the bits and pieces from all the Negima attempts I actually liked... it'd include parts of season one, parts of Negima!?, both OVAs were interesting.
Oye... the latest Negima Del Rey book is in my briefcase... I'd totally forgotten I picked it up on the way home the other day. (off to read...)
Old 2007-05-26, 21:06   Link #522
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

In celebrating Mahora's episode 16 release, I've went back and restarted watching Negima!? back from episode 1. Makes you wonder what the h*** happened. It started out so bad-ass and awesome, not to mention (seemingly) more focused on Evangeline and the epic aspects of Negima-verse.

As a Shinbo worshipper, I thought the signature Shinbo visuals and comedy was just icing; the *icing* later turned into the main dish, unfortunately
Spoiler for The baron:

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2007-05-26 at 21:29. Reason: spoiler typo
dahl_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 17:43   Link #523
sezen_atacan

Will Negima!? continue to be subbed or are we gonna have to stick with the raw for the remaining 10 episodes?
sezen_atacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 00:51   Link #524
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Looks like Mahora (the fansubbers) were able to restaff or at least intend on finishing the project at a slower pace.

They were having some problems to the point where most people considered Negima!? fansubs to be stalled -- but with ep 16 they appear to at least have good intentions
Old 2007-06-02, 19:09   Link #525
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Spoiler for The baron:
Spoiler:
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 01:37   Link #526
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i wanted them to continue the kyoto arc with more cosplay fighitng with swords

i have not seen past this seasons episode 16, yet.

the story focusing on that baron person doesnt seem promising though.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 15:34   Link #527
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

well ... might just be me thats naive ... but i allways get the feeling that Akamatsu's manga's is dirceted extremely bad by people that either don't know the selling points in his manga's or just flat out stink at what they're doing

could of couse also be that his way of telling storiesījust only fits the Manga media ... even though i've read a quite nice continuation of LH on animenfo
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 00:54   Link #528
mdauben

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
i have not seen past this seasons episode 16, yet.
I just watched episodes 17 and 18, and in my opinion you are not missing anything.

Spoiler for Ep 17-18:
This version of Negima seemed to have a lot of potential at first, but it continues to disappoint me with each new episode.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 02:21   Link #529
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

After the first long stall, I resorted to watching the raws...

dammit, it was too damn easy to do a decent job for them to .... grrrrrrrrrr.

I'll just say the sheen is off of Shinbo for me, even allowing for Hidamari Sketch.
Old 2007-07-04, 13:07   Link #530
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I just watched episodes 17 and 18, and in my opinion you are not missing anything.

Spoiler for Ep 17-18:
If you don't like these two episodes, then you definitely need to stay as far away from episode 19 as possible as
Spoiler for Ep. 19:

As for another spoiler bit,
Spoiler for Ep 17+:
Old 2007-07-04, 21:54   Link #531
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Just watched episode 21, and I wonder why I had stopped at episode 20. This one is a classic. A retelling of
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-06, 18:45   Link #532
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Yea ive basically given up on the show really...Its just gotten too off center and completely out of touch with its source. The characters personalities and the situations barely feel like negima anymore.

I appreciate shinbo's style and if this wasnt a preexisting world that he brought his style to id be fine with it, but it just feels like he could care less about these characters and they've become tools for some absurd plot.

Heres hoping third times the charm and we get something like how this series started out...Only having it actually last for the entire run instead of the train wreck this became to me.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 16:49   Link #533
Midonin
Last Engage

Seen up to Episode 18, and it's an odd mixed bag for me. I like the fights, the nifty Pactio sequences (the skyfall in 14 being the winner overall), and even the absurd comedy. Yet it seems to be missing something. The plot is there, but it seems almost inconsequential. It's a great comedy series, but as a Negima series it's missing something. I don't know what that is - the relationships? The magic? I can't put my finger on it, but that something isn't there.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 14:11   Link #534
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Negima!? was a tragic tale of a LOT of factors that kept people from appreciating it. Fansub faggotry, idiotic purists scaring away potential fans, but quite a bit was the fault of the anime itself. It was misled from the start--not everybody got the news that it was supposed to be alternate universe from the get go, so a lot of expectations got shot by episode 4. By the time ep 10 rolled around, the plot had died completely (most people who liked it said the plot died at 13, but as a fan I disagree.) Any attempts to revive anything such as a fight scene or plot itself was shot down in the name of humor--which worked, but was ultimately frustrating.

I loved that universe--I loved the humor, the new side of the characters (I felt only about five were OOC: the hiveminded cheerleaders, Makie, and Chao is chipper but that's slightly pushing it.), and the TWO times that there actually was a fight, they were epic. I even loved the super random suka episode, and like most of 4chan lawled at all the purists going "BAAAWWW IT DOESN'T FOLLOW THE MANGA WHERE'S MY PLOT BAAAAAWWWW" but deep inside I was quite frustrated that humor tended to interrupt a lot of potential. As a matter of fact, this disturbed me so greatly I went and wrote a fanfic right after crucial failure divulging point (episode 10).

Funimation won't do this series justice, so I'll stick to being a pirate about it.

That is all.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 18:10   Link #535
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I wish they would make a Negima anime that actually followed the manga storywise all the way.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 19:37   Link #536
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

i'm happy if they make a anime one any of Ken Akamatsu's Manga without screwing up (LH did okay but ended sucky with 3 ova's covering 3 books and 3-4 books not even touched)
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 19:31   Link #537
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
BTW, for anyone that cares:

A) First three eps of the dub are up on Funimation's site.
B) Team Incompetence is up to Ep 25. JUST ONE MORE RAW TO GO (not like it matters, the plot died fifteen episodes ago )

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 00:39   Link #538
Asrialys

Yikes, Nagi sounded much older than he is. Although, I don't remember what he sounded like in Japanese. lol Sabat as narrator; odd hearing Piccolo/Vegeta doing excited narrations.

Not an amazing dub, but it's nice seeing most of the voice actors return to their rolls. I like Chamo's voice better in English.

Awesomeness, they dubbed the songs.
Old 2008-12-04, 08:53   Link #539
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
Yikes, Nagi sounded much older than he is. Although, I don't remember what he sounded like in Japanese.
A woman does the voice of Negi in the Japanese, so it sounds more like a boy.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 10:52   Link #540
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
A woman does the voice of Negi in the Japanese, so it sounds more like a boy.
What? I said Nagi.