AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-18, 22:25   Link #21
Gundampilotspaz

Send a message via AIM to Gundampilotspaz
Otaku is just a label, a word. If you want to use it then use it, if you don't then you don't have too. It has no inherent positive or negative value.

You seem to be really offended by the idea that you might be an Otaku. Don't be. Just live your life the way you want to be, and if the way it seems you are doing a pretty good job.
Gundampilotspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 22:49   Link #22
octobomb

there is no right or wrong and you do not win a prize. lol... if anything the score just shows how much you have tried within the hobby. Not a negative or positive thing... just more to talk about.

Gundampilotsaz hit it right on the head when he said that its just a label word. We each have our own individual definition of what that word means :P
octobomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 23:42   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually... that's not exactly how language works otherwise flgerm mittiewa spleee durp.
Old 2008-04-18, 23:46   Link #24
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Yes, it is just a label. A label that jealous people put on us.

I, however, am undoubtedly an otaku. Why, you ask? Just look at my Anime-Planet.com signature:

...Yeah.

Anyway, I thought anime-planet's definition of an otaku was entertaining, if nothing else. AP'sdefinition of an otaku is anyone who has spent more than 2 moths of their life watching anime. Keep in mind the above figure is actually a bit of an underestimation. This is because I've rewatched serveral series, several times. Such as Dragonball Z, or Naruto, or Bleach.... yeah, the long ones. And Im not even mentioning the fact that I have not updated it for a while; more or less two month's time. I've seen at least a dozen series in the meantime, but whatever.
Old 2008-04-19, 01:24   Link #25
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think Otaku is dependent on how "into" anime you are. Just enjoying a show, wouldn't make you an otaku, otherwise most people in the world would fall under that classification. Otaku is more or less a fanatical label.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 05:15   Link #26
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Quote:
1. If you have seen more then just Naruto or Bleach you are an Otaku

So true. A good percentage of the world became otaku back when Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon were all over television.
A good percentage indeed. 100 percent of the under 40 years old in the West? And this is the point where the word "otaku" loses any meaning whatsoever.

I know people who have stuff like Jin-Roh or GITS in their DVD shelf that contains to 99 percent non-anime. So they're otaku as I've learned now. If I would read them the above quote these otaku would have three questions: 1. What is Naruto? What is Bleach? What is an otaku? Yes, I mean they would seriously ask that.
Old 2008-04-19, 08:20   Link #27
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned it, but you're a person sometimes referred to by certain people as an 'otaku' when you have to stop and question yourself whether you are or not.

Though everybody I know would call me one if they knew the word, I am not an otaku because I view myself just as someone who likes to spend his time with anime, not as an otaku.

Its all self-image and semantics people.
Old 2008-04-19, 10:19   Link #28
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Its all self-image and semantics people.
To an extent, but not really. It's one of those things, you know... Let's say you're a criminal put on a trial and you plead not guilty. Yet the evidence is there, the witnesses testify against you, and the jury sends you to prison based on the testemonies and collected evidence. You may claim there is not enough evidence for your conviction, but ultimately it's the People who determine that.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 10:28   Link #29
octobomb

i would gladly say i got more then 50% of the 5-30 age group to sell too :P. In america its just not as a fanatical word really. Compared to japan where its like Crazy Extremist, because the rest of the world kinda mellowed out the definition its doesnt really matter that much to be called one... tons of people by the US definition of otaku are otaku. But if your asking by the japanese definition? hardly anyone is japanese definition otaku, but who hell wants to be known as that. lol... they both got some negative connotations but the japanese one is almost purely negative.

i think this thread has gone to long, as I said before. Its just a way people use to name people who find anime acceptable, reason why i said if you even say you enjoyed one many people will call you otaku if they know the word in america society, because alot of the people who dont follow the american definition actually dont really accept any kind of animation or games at their age which isnt many people.

It doesnt do anything if your labeled Otaku anyway, hows that going to change your life? are you going to get less girls? lose your job? maybe in japan, but not america. In america no one gives SHIT. The only thing that would significantly change your life with a title would be Druggy. Cause that shit shits you up real bad.
octobomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 10:52   Link #30
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

You people are starting to mix up between "otaku" and "fan". There are a lot of people who watch anime but they're not even close to being otakus. Being otakus is like being a super nerd, a person obsessed or specialized in a certain field, in our case; anime, manga, games or visual novels. Hence, it means that you've dived into these hobbies more than normal people and you're taking it seriously.
Quote:
1. If you have seen more then just Naruto or Bleach you are an Otaku
That's why this statement is not right. Although I agree that most people who are into anime are watching these stuff, it's not something to attach to non-otaku fans,
Old 2008-04-19, 14:15   Link #31
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

If my grandparents called me an Otaku... I don't know what to think... lol
Old 2008-04-19, 20:35   Link #32
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
To an extent, but not really. It's one of those things, you know... Let's say you're a criminal put on a trial and you plead not guilty. Yet the evidence is there, the witnesses testify against you, and the jury sends you to prison based on the testemonies and collected evidence. You may claim there is not enough evidence for your conviction, but ultimately it's the People who determine that.
That just made me lol.

People can't even agree what an otaku is, so how can you compare it to criminal prosecution, where there is (mostly) set guides to what crimes are what, eg first degree murder vs second degree murder or manslaughter.
Old 2008-04-19, 21:36   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Otaku is a bit of a nebulous term, as others have stated.

I think that the term "Otaku" requires more than simply being an anime fan - even more than being a fan of a lot of different anime shows.

I think that you need to be passionate about the anime industry as a whole, and have love of anime be your far and away biggest entertainment interest, in order to be an otaku.

From my own limited experience, I find that there are some types of measures that can be used to seperate otaku from more casual anime fans.

1) Degree of knowledge about key anime/Japanese terms. Knowing what "kawaii" means is no big deal. Knowing what "moe", "lolicon", "ecchi", and "shotacon" mean is borderline in and of itself - you might be otaku, you might not be. Knowing more obscure anime/Japanese terms than these, though... you're probably an Otaku.

2) Broad familiarity with anime studios, and mangakas. Simply knowing of Funimation, or an anime-maker like Miyazaki, is probably not enough to make someone an "Otaku". Being intimately familiar with everything that either has done, though...

3) Ability to write lengthy, defensible posts dealing with the dub vs. sub debate, and/or the affect of fansubs on the anime industry.

4) Ownership of anime-related merchandise beyond DVDs.

5) Cosplaying.

6) Making anime music videos, or other types of YouTube/YouTube-esque videos involving animes/anime characters that you love.

7) If you're comfortable with having a term like "Haruhiist" applied to you, you might be an otaku by default (i.e. if you're that passionate over even just one particular anime/anime character...).

If you're Otaku-like based on 3 or more of these 7, you're probably an Otaku.

Just my opinion.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 01:59   Link #34
_DaViD_
~(=ω=.)~

i dont know if im an Otaku

i have 2 months of my life spent on anime

if i get 1 OST is downloading it cus i cant buy it on mexico and i dont have credit card to buy online.
i dont make / buy figures and models
i dont make my own mangas or AMV's (maybe i will make them but when i learn how to xD)
i have never been on a convention
i dont cosplay
i have only 4 mangas and thats all, maybe i will buy more.
i know almost half of the parodies of Lucky Star and hayate no gotoku
im almost always thinking about anime that i will watch or i want to watch
i have normal social life
i never use japanese words in middle of a conversation that's just annoying for me

sometimes i consider myself otaku because of the time spent on it, but i think im not that "hardcore" i dont do anything appart from watching anime and reading novels that i donwload....

for me being an Otaku is not only watching lots of anime, i think that you have to be really obsessed like buying lots of merchandise, cosplay, make ur own mangas or models cus anybody knows pokemon and DBZ and they have lots of episodes, and some kids watch all of them, so that not make them otakus.
_DaViD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 08:21   Link #35
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Maybe watch Welcome to the NHK and see how much you can relate to the main characters, I really couldn't but nonetheless enjoyedthe anime to bits. very fascinating.

And maybe do same thing with Genshiken? Well I din'tl ike that anime much..
Old 2008-04-20, 08:23   Link #36
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Only that glasses guy is an Otaku, the main guy wasn't he was a hermit. Well, thats not me... I think I'm just a wannabe Otaku that refuses to take the extra mile to become a true Otaku. I love getting into discussions about characters that I find interesting in an anime.. I just like debating and discussing in general though, I see it no different than discussing a movie or piece of literature like Novels though.
Old 2008-04-20, 08:25   Link #37
Bou
Nyoron~

I think it depends how obsessed you are. If its all you talk, think about then you need help. But maybe that makes you an otaku.
Bou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 08:30   Link #38
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think that is the border isn't it?

As I mentioned earlier, Anime isn't what my life revolves around, its one of my hobbies though. I enjoy football as well, although only when its NYG related. Martial Arts, political discussions are always nice, religion is always a nice topic as well. Oh, and I rarely to never talk about anime in real life... these forums are my anime talk outlet, lol.