AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-15, 22:23   Link #21
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Future versions of Opera are expected to attempt to integrate more tightly with the OS to feel more like a Mac application. I think part of it has to do with their shifting over to using QT framework for the GUI (?), which means it should also feel more Linux-y as well.

Opera's OSX skin does a nice job of emulating the look of Safari, but I didn't like it. I'm eagerly awaiting the tighter integration.
Old 2008-02-15, 22:49   Link #22
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Opera has always used QT hasn't it? I remember when downloading the Linux version having to choose between the dynamically or statically linked QT versions.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 23:34   Link #23
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Perhaps - I remember they mentioned something about it, though. At the very least, they have plans to make it look more like a native application. I tried to find it in their developer updates, but all I could find from a very quick search was that they're using some sort of QT and GTK method so that plugins for Opera on UNIX can run windowless. They said that Opera on Windows and Mac already had that functionality.
Old 2008-02-16, 14:57   Link #24
arcadeplayer987

I use Opera and I'm happy with it the quick links feature from new tab is very useful
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 23:53   Link #25
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Hmm? Does Opera use Qt? It never gave me the option to link to my already existing Qt libraries (granted, I'm using GNOME, but I've got Qt libraries installed for a few KDE apps), and it doesn't look at all like Qt 3. Perhaps Qt 2? I have no idea what it's like, though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 00:04   Link #26
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Opera's next big version is version 9.50 ("Kestrel"). The 9.2x series is their "Merlin" build; it's still being updated, but the 9.5 build should make some major changes. I think Qt support will be added there, if the 9.2x series doesn't have it.
Old 2008-02-18, 13:23   Link #27
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Hmm? Does Opera use Qt? It never gave me the option to link to my already existing Qt libraries (granted, I'm using GNOME, but I've got Qt libraries installed for a few KDE apps), and it doesn't look at all like Qt 3. Perhaps Qt 2? I have no idea what it's like, though.
Opera does use QT but it doesn't use the system QT theme. It uses its own ugly skin.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 10:37   Link #28
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

For me it always been Opera : )
Old 2008-03-10, 14:44   Link #29
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

If Opera can adjust and have a better user interface then I'll fall for it. However, I've tried Opera several times and they simply don't work with my style of browsing. It's good at everything BUT the UI.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 15:19   Link #30
Doughnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
If Opera can adjust and have a better user interface then I'll fall for it. However, I've tried Opera several times and they simply don't work with my style of browsing. It's good at everything BUT the UI.
The UI is very customisable, the only probelm I've seen that I couldn't fix was placing the tab bar under the address bar, something alot of firefox users complain about.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 21:37   Link #31
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post
The UI is very customisable, the only probelm I've seen that I couldn't fix was placing the tab bar under the address bar, something alot of firefox users complain about.
It's quite possible to do this, you're just doing it the wrong way. Rather than move the bar, what you do is to remove all the buttons on the main bar, then move all the buttons from the address bar onto the main bar so that your address bar and main bar are identical. Then you remove the address bar and voila! You now have your address bar over your tabs.

It's a little bit counter-intuitive to do it this way, but it works perfectly.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 21:46   Link #32
Doughnuts

Interesting. I now have a way to counterattack those stubborn individuals that use this as an excuse to not shift from firefox
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 22:11   Link #33
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Firefox. I do realize that if I search around a bit, then I will find a more efficient browser, but I suffer from the same problems as most people: Humans resist change. For me, Firefox is the best of all the most popular browsers, and that's really all I need.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 10:02   Link #34
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Firefox 3 Beta 4 is out, and apparently it's faster than any other browser when it comes to JavaScript, being almost two times faster than the Opera 9.50 beta. There are still a couple of bugs though (there's a rather prominent, though minor and only graphical one I just found in vBulletin reply boxes when using the "editor mode"). Still, it's getting more impressive by the minute, and the revamped GTK theme is surely welcome

Old 2008-03-11, 14:36   Link #35
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
being almost two times faster than the Opera 9.50 beta.
Just for the record, that Opera 9.50 beta 1 is little better than an extremely buggy demo. I feel that it was not yet ready to be released as a beta, but they wanted to show off their cool new features. The current weekly builds leave that beta crying in the dust. It would be much more interesting to see how the current builds of Opera Kestrel compare to Firefox 3 beta 4.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 14:46   Link #36
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i use FF ....
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 19:35   Link #37
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Just for the record, that Opera 9.50 beta 1 is little better than an extremely buggy demo. I feel that it was not yet ready to be released as a beta, but they wanted to show off their cool new features. The current weekly builds leave that beta crying in the dust. It would be much more interesting to see how the current builds of Opera Kestrel compare to Firefox 3 beta 4.
According to the comments in that article I linked to, the current Opera builds are faster than what is noted there, but still slower than FF 3 beta 4

(BTW, the improved speed when processing scripts is VASTLY noticeable. It really flies with almost anything you throw it at. Even heavy-commented Slashdot articles using its new discussion system go much, much faster than before).

Old 2008-03-12, 02:42   Link #38
sa547
*Author

Because of the current nature of the Net, I armed Firefox with Noscript (which allows me to choose which loaded scripts are allowed or not), along with a regular gauntlet of antivirus and malware-killing tools. Of course I make sure I'm careful about the links before I click on them, and picking which software updates should be used.

Anyway, whether one is using Firefox or Opera... I salute them both.
Old 2008-03-12, 08:21   Link #39
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
I use firefox 99% of the time. I feel its safer than IE, I only use IE for sites that only work in IE, there are some sites where I can't click on the links if I'm not using IE, i think its call activeX or something

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 13:08   Link #40
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Send a polite email of complaint to any websites that are IE-only, please. Many websites will make changes (especially if they receive a lot of complaints) and you'll be contributing toward making the internet a better place

Tags
browsers, software