AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 276 51.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 145 27.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 76 14.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 3.74%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 1.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 0.75%
Voters: 535. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-02, 10:42   Link #21
Cyber_chaotic
I recommend Souske!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon View Post
you can't really rewatch this because you'd have known the outcome already.
Yeah, i totally agree on this one.
------------------------------------------------
The introduction of Mikami was a very short one as i was expecting a deeper look into his character much like what happened with the Misa section.
Much the same comment for Takada.....not much character development for her.
Oh yea...what ever did happen to Misa?.....Its like when we jump into the Near arc, Misa's character 'dies' off/doesn't become as important anymore and she becomes just a backup character....what's up with that?!?!

Really missed the 'edge of your seat' stuff where the ultimate plans were placed and perfectly executed in the L arc.......really such a shame to see very little of this in the Near arc where Lights plans always seem to have tiny flaws in them that ultimately brought about his end.

Overall, the entire Deathnote series is 10/10....but....the Near arc became a sort of anti-climax and it sorta died off to a 6-7/10.

But since i love Deathnote so much, i'll give a 9/10!

^^
Old 2007-07-02, 15:14   Link #22
Super Ska Master

10/10

My only gripes are that they condensed the second arc. I wouldn't mind normally if they didn't cut things out. They also didn't give Shidoh enough screen time. Also, they shouldn't have changed the very poignant ending of the manga. Let's hope the special gives some much needed closure to the series.

And the over exagerated writing scenes rocked. (Especially Mikami's)
Old 2007-07-02, 16:09   Link #23
davyr33

Masterpiece, 20/10, one of the finest series ever
Old 2007-07-02, 16:29   Link #24
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Hmm, I didn't watch every episode because knowing the manga plot made it a bit tedious. Nevertheless, those episodes I did watch seemed superbly done. The little revisions and additions here and there were also rather interesting.

/rant-on/ For instance, the revised ending pleased me greatly, as the manga ending had Light seem quite out of character.
I agree with you Grey...After reading the last couple manga chapters I'm relieved they decided to end the anime in this way with Ryuk still seemingly caring for his master despite his shinigami duties....Any other way would have been inconsistent with their anime-relationship...But the jaded respect of their friendship is what gets me kinda emotional when thinking about it...

I can understand why some manga readers were dissapointed (especially if they hate Light), but after seeing both versions this fits the anime's climate far better IMO...I mean just his "mini-swimming lesson" hit me hard and made me understand the pitiful nature of his existence..There was no need to rub it in times 100 (That would have lost the poetry and execution of the episode for me)...

In any event I give this series (as a whole, looking at everything) a compelling 10 outta 10..I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it any other score..I don't think I'd be being honest with myself shaving a point or 2 off just to do it based on the end...This series was too good for too long, not to get the best rating available...
Old 2007-07-02, 19:02   Link #25
Only_a_Shadow
Kotomi~!

A 10/10.

A must-see series. I was trembling with excitement ever since the 1st episode.
Old 2007-07-03, 10:19   Link #26
w00tix

I give this series a 9/10.

While this series is by far one of my favorites, there are just some things that I enjoyed at the beginning of the series that seemed to get out of control by the end. The main reason I enjoyed the show was the mind games going on between Light and L. While you didn't know exacly what each other was thinking, you had a good idea. Towards the end of the series, you had completely no idea what Near or Light was planning, and honestly it seems a little purposterous that Light would have a "hunch" that Near wanted to have a face-to-face meeting when he started his plan for it. Basically it went from being a intelligent fight to just nonsense.
Old 2007-07-03, 11:24   Link #27
digitalmaster287

10/10

Overall it is probably my favourite series, because it combined ethical implications with an exciting plot. The only thing that I think that the anime could have imporved on was the ending. IMO, they should have combined both the anime and the manga endings to give an extra twist to the anime with the viewers wondering whose name Ryuk would write. If I could choose, it would go something like this:

1) Everything goes the same until Mikami kills himself
2) Then, Light has the whole conversation with Ryuk telling him to kill them
3) Ryuk writes Light's name down and then Light runs out the door
4) Everything else happens like the anime did it, with Light walking off and dying
5) When Light sees L's image, they cut to Near asking Ryuk if the burning book rule is fake. When he says that it is, Near burns both notebooks. Then the pages flip to reveal L's real name before finally burning away
6) To end, it shows Light closing his eyes for the last time
Old 2007-07-03, 16:37   Link #28
nmadoka35

10/10, one of the finest series
Old 2007-07-03, 20:00   Link #29
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

9/10

Everything I wanted to say has been said already.

BUT there's one thing I would like to mention. Light's plans were inspirational. The way he countered his enemies and the absolute genius of his thoughts were breathtaking to see animated. It reminds me that people can further their ideals or goals if they just use their head. Light was on the verge of making his master plan a reality. I don't agree with his methodology but his cognitive skills were amazing and were worthy of his reputation.

Thanks to this series; I find myself plotting out every single large or menial task that I undertake.

Thanks for the thrills, Madhouse!
Old 2007-07-05, 22:26   Link #30
Harvest

I gave it a 10/10 (rarely ever give a 10) the reason its in my prediction for the speacial; my version of for happened in the end:

Death note ending
Explanation by Harvest Lee

Ok for everyone that thinks Light died, you’re all wrong. Do you really think he would not have a back up plan? Think of the bigger picture Light set up Near to make it so that he’s name not being in the death note would mean he dies. Light also remembers back to the very beginning when Ryuuk says he’ll be the one to write he’s name down and kill him. So guess what happen? Ryuuk wroth down light’s name and saved he’s life which means…….
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Harvest; 2007-07-05 at 22:37.
Old 2007-07-05, 22:52   Link #31
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

9/10

I want to give this series a 10/10, however, I didn't really enjoy the outcome.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-07, 00:56   Link #32
merment

best anime ever!
Old 2007-07-07, 22:17   Link #33
GriS

9/10

It was thrilling till the end of L v Kira arc, by then the whole storyline becoming N (with mello) v Kira is silly and unnecessary. I'd rather have it end as L cracking the case finally instead of his supposedly young predecessor. Being very young, it's also unrealistic for N to be able to analyse the tense situation between L and Light thoroughly.

nevertheless, I enjoyed immensely till episode 25, though at this point my interest is all lost, I managed to crawl through and am satisfied with the ending.

animation and sound are above average
Old 2007-07-08, 00:32   Link #34
Sanchu

It was a fantastic series to follow through right into the last episode. Only thing I can say remotely negative about the series is the fact that it’s short and I wish they could have stretch the episodes a bit longer for the fans that have been drawn to addiction. I’m still feeling the effects of the last few episodes and has impressed me. Not knowing what was happening with the help of the manga kept me in the dark and surprised as the series progressed. My general impression of the series it a positive one.

It’s a refreshing show to watch after many animes that show only heavy battles and low amount of structured plot and story lines. Each character had a lasting and meaningful effect on the anime and had impact. The " Kira vs L " drama must be one of the best rivalries I've seen in awhile. The fact that they aren't using their fists to defeat each other is something that gives Death Note an overall refreshing and intriguing look.

Total Series Rating: 9.5/10
Old 2007-07-08, 00:44   Link #35
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

I had high hopes for this show, thinking that Light was going to be an interesting and sympathetic character, some form of a dark, righteous avenger. But it looks like the author took a simple view that killing even vermin is wrong by writing in Light as THE chief villain, a wicked byproduct of his own sense of justice that Ooba too readily dismisses as misguided, and leaving his just execution at the hands of someone other than his human pursuers. Death god forbid that "L" or Near was the one to actually pull the trigger on such a punk. And it didn't matter so much that he protected the lives of would-be victims when he began his crusade. Eradicating evil is itself "evil" when "good" is just a matter of changing perspectives and relative notions, which notion by appearances seem to be that all human killing is bad. The production values and the performances were great, and the cat/mouse chase and detective work intriguing, but the simplistic characterization of what should have been a great character gets point deductions from me. I rate it a 7.

It is certainly the 'best anime ever", until one recalls of titles like Macross, NGE, Grave of the Fireflies, Card Captor Sakura, Kaleido Star, Now and Then Here and There, Castle of Cagliostro, Kimagure Orange Road, Rurouni Kenshin, MoHS (or SHnY), Fruits Basket, Fumoffu, Sukuran, Vision of Escaflowne, all Ghost in the Shells (don't know about Innocence though), Kare Kano, [insert whatever I'm forgetting other than that dramedy about a diclonius]...

Last edited by khryoleoz; 2007-07-08 at 10:42.
Old 2007-07-08, 17:26   Link #36
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
First 17 episodes 9/10, Episodes 21-25 9/10 Episodes 27-32 So So. I really like the concept over all. But I haven't found the second half as good as the first. L's character was very well done, and it was much more enjoyable to see L and Light back in forth, than Near and Light. Near seems ominipotent, and Lights strategic moves seem to rushed, and less interesting than the first half. I haven't read the manga though.

Over all seems like great series. 4 more to go though still.
Old 2007-07-09, 02:29   Link #37
Madmanslitany

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
I had high hopes for this show, thinking that Light was going to be an interesting and sympathetic character, some form of a dark, righteous avenger. But it looks like the author took a simple view that killing even vermin is wrong by writing in Light as THE chief villain, a wicked byproduct of his own sense of justice that Ooba too readily dismisses as misguided, and leaving his just execution at the hands of someone other than his human pursuers. Death god forbid that "L" or Near was the one to actually pull the trigger on such a punk. And it didn't matter so much that he protected the lives of would-be victims when he began his crusade. Eradicating evil is itself "evil" when "good" is just a matter of changing perspectives and relative notions, which notion by appearances seem to be that all human killing is bad. The production values and the performances were great, and the cat/mouse chase and detective work intriguing, but the simplistic characterization of what should have been a great character gets point deductions from me. I rate it a 7.
I have to say I strongly disagree; Death Note does not paint the critical issue of whether or not Light as Kira is evil or not in black in white. Throughout the anime, the question is raised over and over again whether or not Kira is actually evil. Matsuda brings it up early on, voicing the fact that crime has indeed been reduced by Kira's judgments--importantly, Souichirou Yagami, identified by the mangaka as the true personification of justice in the world of Death Note doesn't actually shoot him down, at least not at that point. Matsuda, who in many respects is the most normal and human member of the team, again brings up the point after Chief Yagami's death when he questions whether or not Kira is evil at all. Though he shoots Light in the finale, it's more out of his emotional distress over Light's betrayal and the perception that he had driven his father to his death. In the last pages of the manga, which will most likely be covered in the anime special, Matsuda is still questioning whether or not they did the right thing by assisting Near in Light's elimination.

It is true that Light slips further and further into darkness and his portrayal as the series progresses makes him harder and harder to view as an agent of justice, but before I address that, your post seems to imply that L, Near, and Mello represent some sort of clear good in the world of Death Note. This isn't true either; L and Near represent the law and the entrenched legal system, but they're never painted as truly "good." L is more righteous and honorable than Near by far, and the greater contrast in his way of thinking compared to Light (as well as the similarities) is part of what makes the first arc so good, but L himself is shown to be very capable of ruthlessness in upholding what he believes is justice. Right from the beginning, he sacrifices a prisoner's life, and is repeatedly shown to be willing to let a few people die so that he can make moves that will permanently put Kira down and prevent any more deaths after that. All very sensible things, but not the kind of things a traditional anime protagonist would be willing to do, and certainly not the type of behavior a traditional "do-good" hero would engage in. Near, who I do NOT like, is far more ruthless than L in many respects, and barely seems to value the lives of the FBI agents serving under him. So his defeat of Light hardly seems like a true black and white moral statement. This isn't a case of the hero beating the big bad villain and making a happy ending.

And now, Light himself. By the end of the anime he's started to go a bit insane, but I feel that the writer deliberately refrains from making some sort of blanket, all-encompassing moral statement on whether or not Light's mission, and his killings, were wrong. To me, Light is someone who started with genuinely good intentions, and with a mission, had he been able to stay true to it in the strictest sense (killing ONLY criminals and not the police agents pursuing him, and not those that assisted him in his journey like Takada) might really have become justice. But he's corrupted by the power of the Death Note; he is possibly one of the most capable humans that ever lived, but he couldn't handle it. And therein is the real moral message of Death Note; not that killing criminals is wrong, but with power of such magnitude, no human could possibly resist being corrupted and losing themselves. Near even says something to this effect in his final speech to Light. And in the anime, when Light sees the person he used to be, it's again emphasized that Light was never a bad person at all before he found the Death Note--the sympathy we feel for him at the end is proof that the anime team didn't intend to completely vilify Light.
Old 2007-07-09, 04:21   Link #38
UchihaByakuya

I gave it 9 im a L fan. To me L's death was a bit cheap. How do you stop a shinigami from killing you when you have to capture the person she likes ( misa) just to protect yourself. O.o
Old 2007-07-09, 08:52   Link #39
StrawHatLuffy
L Lawliet

I gave it an 8/10. Would have given it higher if it had portrayed the ending in the manga. It would have been more dramatic to see Light beg for his life.

Overall, a rather faithful adaptation. I had faith in the beginning that Madhouse would do a good job seeing that they did an excellent job for Monster as well. I'm glad they didn't full a FMA for us.

I would rate the original manga 9.5/10. 0.5 for the pretty boring Mello portions.
Old 2007-07-11, 13:40   Link #40
iBeast

The best out there. 10/10.

Everything just seems to fade when mentioned with Death Note.

I also surf a lot of anime/manga websites and most of the favorite characters are L, Light, and Ichigo(Bleach).
Closed Thread