AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-26, 05:45   Link #21
fieryshadowcard

Manga. I'm usually more interested in the story of something, so if I ever generally get involved with the manga of a certain series, it takes precedence.

I do have to admit, however, that I jump for joy when an anime series is a faithful representation of its manga counterpart. OP is one of those series where this holds true, so though I read the chapters, I WILL eventually come around and catch the episodes. Even the filler. :P
Old 2006-07-26, 13:41   Link #22
Renge
smile

Anime but manga comes first so I prefer manga plus i dont like some fillers.
Old 2006-07-26, 14:58   Link #23
deltara

Anime is better than Manga

If someone has seen Rubber in 2nd gear in episode 272, its far different than in Manga. It is true same pictures but in anime evertything is living.

The secret of a successsful manga translated in a sucessful anime is that:

CHARACTERS LIVE, PAPER is brought to live.

The same with the radio, listening that someone has scored in a football match is not the same excitment as watching the game.

And what can someone tell me when Rubber will shout to Robin if she wants to live?

And what about the music which surrounds the atmosphere? Everything is linked.

Great anime, Great manga, Great ODA

Not to mention the previous episodes before 272 which had breath taking moments. I would never end.
Old 2006-07-26, 15:11   Link #24
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Fact is some people just aren't readers. Some people can't see anything past the page. These people probably rarely pick up a work of fiction. Some people have incredibly vivid imaginations that produce all kinds of sounds and movements in their own head, only to find that the anime adaption doesn't live up to it, this is often the case with me.
Old 2006-07-27, 04:23   Link #25
SoulSeth
海賊王

Though I always tend to like the book better than the movie, this is not a fact with anime and manga. For some reason I prefere anime, this might be because I really like the voice actors, the action, and the soundtrack.
Old 2006-07-27, 10:48   Link #26
ShikaShika
無罪

This is my answer to anime or manga in general; if the anime is well made and (especially important) true to its manga counterpart, then I tend to prefer the anime. Not that I don't like the manga as well, it's just a preference in media. Unfortunatly, I seldom enjoy adaptations of longer shounen series because of the inevitable fillers. Thankfully the filler in One Piece is mostly left outside of the real manga arcs (I've only just begun watching the Sky Piea-arc, so I don't know if this holds true for the later part of the anime), but it's still enough for me to lean towards the manga. I just don't like filler, and would even prefer a biweekly release (or season breaks) to it.
Old 2006-07-27, 17:14   Link #27
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
Fact is some people just aren't readers. Some people can't see anything past the page. These people probably rarely pick up a work of fiction. Some people have incredibly vivid imaginations that produce all kinds of sounds and movements in their own head, only to find that the anime adaption doesn't live up to it, this is often the case with me.

That's same with me as well, My mind simpply fill-in all the action void by itself, that's why I mostly perfer manga. In addition most manga are much better paced than anime, espcially lots of Anime tend cut short if popularity decreases or they limited the number of episodes....

And I really hate fillers, I was surprised that most OP filler are actually watchable and make some sort of sense that fits in main story, unlike some other series that are out right now.... [HEAR THAT BLEACH, NARUTO!!!!! ]

Also, anime series tend to be tuned down from Manga as well, and I'm not talking about U.S. locolization & adoption. Although not as bad, they do tend to tune down anime version a little bit and I usually like the Manga original better, better twists, more sex and violence and gore. Case of example, in OP, Sanji's master (forgot his name) got his legs crashed and ripped off in anime, but in manga his legs was only injured, but he ate his own leg so he can give Sanji all the food, or Air Gear where most "service" scenes are un-masked in manga compare to the crow cover up they got in anime...

I also agree that Manga was much more popular in general, not just in Japan but entire Eastern Asia region such and Taiwan, China, Korea, Vietnam, Hong Kong, etc. And I suspect in Europe as well, because I remeber reading various series in official Chinese tranlation volumes [They usually do 100% tranlations right down to Q&A , fan drawing and other subtilities] that mentioned versions of manga in Germany, Italy, French, England, etc. That's even before Anime adaption.

Anime adoption really don't help a series' popularity in Asia, it's more or less used as a gauge to determine a series' popularity, if a series is popular it gets adopted and goes to more main stream to gain more casual audiences and act as bridge to toylines.

An easy anology will be:

Manga is to Anime as Gundam Series is to Gundam plamos.
Old 2006-07-28, 01:35   Link #28
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
. Case of example, in OP, Sanji's master (forgot his name) got his legs crashed and ripped off in anime, but in manga his legs was only injured, but he ate his own leg so he can give Sanji all the food,
Yeah, that's one example, and then the fact that they cut the very opening scene in the manga where Luffy cuts himself in the face with a knife, which is how he got the scar under his left eye. Other edits:
The chefs at Baratie originally pointed guns at Sanji, Toei changed it to giant kitchen utensils (sounds like something 4kids would do XD)
They also changed Ace's tatoo, and Bon Clay's coat became "ballerina" rather than "Okama". There's a couple of other little things like that, but I think they've stopped making edits like that now.
Old 2006-07-31, 10:21   Link #29
Yoska
フランキー

I seriously can't stand the cartoon adaptation. Every once in a while when I do try to check out an episode I usually end up giving up after few minutes into it. Especially all the action scenes are awfully cheap. The only thing I can enjoy are drama and dialog of voice actors. Comedy is another thing animators screwed up. Comedy is about timing, and good timing is what the animators lacks.
Old 2006-07-31, 16:42   Link #30
Bremm
Namu-Hamu Melon

Send a message via AIM to Bremm
Definitly the manga. The quality of the anime is very inconsistant - whereas the manga is always wonderful.

I don't watch the anime episode to episode. Rather, I watch the anime episodes of my favorite parts of the manga.
Old 2006-07-31, 17:03   Link #31
Undertaker

I assuming that when you said cartoon adaption you are refering to US. english adaption, because is it terrible. But the original Japanese anime adaption is well done, I just perfer the manga slightly more.
Old 2006-07-31, 19:01   Link #32
Chuixupu
Shikachu

No, I know Yoska doesn't watch the US dub.
Old 2006-07-31, 19:09   Link #33
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, I've never read the manga, but I totally love the anime, except a few fillers, like Rainbow mist, the fights are bad.

The main and major arcs appeal to me alot, story, action, comedy etc.

I cried at the end of the Drum Kingdom arc, I laughed so much I started having teary eyes during the banquet at the end of the Alabasta Arc. All the major fight scenes are great, I'm amazed at how creative the attacks can be.

But I know how books can be better than anime, I would agree that being imaginative makes your read much more enjoyable.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-08-01, 16:24   Link #34
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I prefer the anime, but the manga is very good as well. It has that whole advantage of coming out first which I like, but I'm not too fond of black and white.

Last edited by Tommy; 2006-08-06 at 22:38.
Old 2006-08-06, 13:49   Link #35
miko tian

manga ... the anime is slow at times and somewhat dragged out because it follows the manga pretty strictly. some fights take way too many episodes (like how ridiculously long the alabasta arc was), but for the manga, it's really a lot more ok
Old 2006-08-06, 16:00   Link #36
tolan
franky family

Send a message via AIM to tolan
I prefer a mix of both!

There are some scenes that are just not done justice in the animated version. Personally, scenes like Luffy putting his hat on Nami's head and walking off to Arlong Park and the scenes in Enies Lobby when Luffy is shouting to Robin that he's come to take her back didn't feel as grand as I had imagined them when I was reading the manga.

However most of the battle scenes I find a bit hard to imagine in my head when reading the manga, and I find the animated version does a really good job of illustrating how intense the fights are. When Luffy was fighting Blueno in the manga I don't think I really could "see" in my mind how much strength was going into those Jet moves but watching it animated in ep 273 was a real treat.

For me, Manga excels in the storytelling aspect and the emotional scenes are that much more better. Animated on the otherhand really develops the action of the One Piece world for me much better than I can imagine. They work hand in hand and I love them both. Cheers!
Old 2006-08-06, 22:11   Link #37
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolan
I prefer a mix of both!

There are some scenes that are just not done justice in the animated version. Personally, scenes like Luffy putting his hat on Nami's head and walking off to Arlong Park and the scenes in Enies Lobby when Luffy is shouting to Robin that he's come to take her back didn't feel as grand as I had imagined them when I was reading the manga.

However most of the battle scenes I find a bit hard to imagine in my head when reading the manga, and I find the animated version does a really good job of illustrating how intense the fights are. When Luffy was fighting Blueno in the manga I don't think I really could "see" in my mind how much strength was going into those Jet moves but watching it animated in ep 273 was a real treat.

For me, Manga excels in the storytelling aspect and the emotional scenes are that much more better. Animated on the otherhand really develops the action of the One Piece world for me much better than I can imagine. They work hand in hand and I love them both. Cheers!

Are you freaking kidding me that scene when Luffy put his hat on Nami was awesome. Till this day that is my favorite scene.
Old 2006-08-07, 00:52   Link #38
tolan
franky family

Send a message via AIM to tolan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
Are you freaking kidding me that scene when Luffy put his hat on Nami was awesome. Till this day that is my favorite scene.

hehe maybe cause I had been reading the manga before I had ever seen this scene in the animated version but it was much more memorable to me in the manga. Of course that's just my opinion and maybe if I had seen the animated first my opinion would be the opposite ? Who knows :]
Old 2006-08-07, 13:53   Link #39
Hiking_Bear

Anime. I like the color, the animation, the voice acting, and the music. Music really does add a lot to a cartoon. Batman the animated series, for example, had great music and One piece also has great music. Also, much of the humor is contained in the voice work and the intonations and I would miss out on a lot of the comedy without the voices. I enjoy most of the fillers, but not the movies as much.
Closed Thread