surprising that keichi went that far for satoko
Old 2006-06-16, 02:23   Link #22
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp-X
surprising that keichi went that far for satoko
There, you just caught the no.1 deficiency with the anime: not enough empathy between us viewers and the characters. The game went though a long process showing Keiichi developing a loving bond with Satoko, learning and understanding about her situation, and trying his best at becoming a second ni-ni- figure for Satoko (you can see a little bit of this in the "advanced trap lecture" TIP, I think). There was a loving relationship between the two.

That's why, when Keiichi *snapped* from seeing Satoko breaking down (which he did in the game, but not in the anime), the feeling was mutually shared by most players as well. That's why, when Keiichi went into "KOOL mode" (a term used by the fans describing the times when Keiichi went into a psycho state, kind of like Rena's Oyashiro-mode), the players felt it too. The anime lacked these types of portrayal, that's why it felt really sudden to see Keiichi "going that far for Satoko".

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczelion74
Can someone give some insight on the important parts from the game that were left out of eps 11?
Spoiler for a small excerpt of Keiichi's high speed chain of thoughts when he snapped:
... And that was just a small section of Keiichi's internal monologue during his "KOOL mode".

Spoiler for another powerful scene from the game:

What can I say? The anime simply didn't (or can't) get around to all these other aspects of the original sound novel, and that really weakened the story a lot.

But if you think about, it's not as if the anime's skipping them on purpose, because it's true that every episode was packed with developments. There was simply no room to accomodate all the other plot elements from each chapter.

Too bad, rather than blazing through each chapter, focusing only on the "suspense" portions of the story, if they had focused on only 1 or 2 chapters and took the time to illustrate all the important scenes and events, the stories would've been so much more powerful than they are now.

I'm complaining again, aren't I? ^^;

Well, I'll just shut up and repeat to myself that phrase I heard somewhere:
"Just be glad that an anime version actually exists, just be glad that an anime version actually exists, just be..."

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-06-16 at 02:39.
Old 2006-06-16, 02:39   Link #23
Paracelsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Spoiler for WOW:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-16, 02:49   Link #24
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Spoiler for just in case:
Old 2006-06-16, 03:03   Link #25
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Too bad, rather than blazing through each chapter, focusing only on the "suspense" portions of the story, if they had focused on only 1 or 2 chapters and took the time to illustrate all the important scenes and events, the stories would've been so much more powerful than they are now.
Yes, complaining isn't fair since they still brought animated such an immense and powerful novel.
Though, I'm really getting again that deja-vu feeling of "rushed-off" (not due to production's fault) that I felt a bit in Onikakushi, more in Watanagashi, and much stronger now in Tatarigoroshi. Funnily enough, the previos episode was called "Bond" , but yet they miss to show all the actual bonds, even with 1 episode more than Onikakushi and Watanagashi.

A nice formula that I could think of, also because of the absence of the last two answer question, could have been as following:

- A season 1 (26 episodes) with the question chapters, 6 episodes for each chapter with a bonus of 2 for the chapters needing more (like Tatarigoroshi seems worthy enough of it).

- Later (fall, or winter) a season 2 (26 episodes) with the answer chapters, still 6 episodes each (+2) with Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi included as well.
I don't like the idea of the last 2 chap. being excluded. The anime will Imho feel incomplete even if the end will be looking like satisfaying.

I'm asking too much, I know ... though basically it's just like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. Lol, it's that I just can't have too much of this show. Kinda reminds me of X-Files made into anime so it's a pity to see it being almost at its half ^^

Also, I've to say that reading this forum is sort of crucial to sort out the story better. I've to admit, that a non-novel reader/non-game player who should watch the anime, may be somewhat lost. (it's a bit the same of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsuu and the shuffling of episode's order in Kyon' timeline rather than Haruhi's timeline. Who whould understand that without a previous tiny explanation?)
Old 2006-06-16, 03:13   Link #26
Freakman

I doubt those train of thoughts passages could be adapted into anime very well.
I mean are you just going to have a still image for 5-8 minutes while he talks ?
Some people may like it, but chances are you're just going to estrange most of the audience. But I'll admit they could still have more.
What I want to say is that books (well, visual/sound novels) aren't the same medium as anime, so obviously you're not going to get the same.
Old 2006-06-16, 04:31   Link #27
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
I doubt those train of thoughts passages could be adapted into anime very well.
I mean are you just going to have a still image for 5-8 minutes while he talks ?
Some people may like it, but chances are you're just going to estrange most of the audience. But I'll admit they could still have more.
What I want to say is that books (well, visual/sound novels) aren't the same medium as anime, so obviously you're not going to get the same.
Definitely, if the anime stuck to the sound novel to a tee (like Kyoani did with Suzumiya Haruhi), you'd probably get whole episodes where absolutely nothing happens. So I'm not against cutting out/shortening the unimportant scenes.

But it's a different story when they start leaving out scenes that are significant or even critical to the original story, because at that point, it begins to intrude on the integrity of the original story.

Don't want to see Keiichi standing there thinking to himself for 5 minutes? Fine, do what the manga did, cut it down to a quick symbolic scene, but don't cut it out altogether.

I know perfectly well that the anime has its limits, and like I said in the last post, I know they're not skipping these scenes on purpose. There's simply no room to accomodate everything, that's all.

Rather than choosing to focus on a small number of chapters and portraying all aspects of the story (drama, mystery, tragedy, comedy, suspense, horror...), they chose to cover a larger number of chapters, leaving only enough room for the "suspense" elements in each one.

And in my opinion, that's a shame because the anime-watchers are really missing out on some stellar details.

Now if you don't mind, I'll go back to repeating that phrase to myself again.
Old 2006-06-16, 08:06   Link #28
Morgri

I thought it was paced really well. Sure, we didn't really get to see the development much between the too, but in my honest opinion, I really saw the connection between him and the Satoko. Why would he invest so much time with her during the last episode? Or, when I looked at it has a whole, from arc to arc, I got a better sense of character development from Keiichi and the girls he has come to love.

Therefore, I gave the episode a 10. Not because it could have been better, but becuase I thought it had as much as it needed to people who haven't seen the manga or actual game. I'm sure if I were to ever get the game, I would find it much better, or the novels for that reason, but not playing the game or not watching the novels hasn't affected my find on the show at all. I still see the great relationship between Keiichi and the girls, I still gathered why he hated his past and how it compared to the present he had with the girls, and pertaining to this arc, just like the last one, I see why he would have risked him wellbeing and morality for Satoko.

It was done remarkably well, and to criticize every point that went wrong is really unfair. Sort as if you where picking out every bad thing that a book that was converted into a movie had.

Bravo, great episode.

For additional comments, though, I get the feeling that Satoko will get angry at Keiichi for doing this. Maybe not becuase she's happy that her uncle is gone, but perhaps becuase she is worried about Keiichi's well being, or maybe cause it reminds her to much about what Satoshi did. I find it kind of odd that he did the same thing as Satoshi =p. Either way, one thing is clear, Keiichi would be crushed if Satoko got mad at him and decided not to forgive him. That's where it would become interesting, how would Keiichi react afterword? Would he be able to forgive himself for harming Satoko instead of his actual purpose to save her? Or maybe, she won't be mad at all? or will she keep a secret? I think those questions are important ones going into the next episode.
Old 2006-06-16, 13:20   Link #29
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I never have anything deep or interesting to say, so I'll just add that I like the murdering Keiichi seen in this and at the end of the first arc best. I hate it when he gets pushed around :P.
Old 2006-06-16, 17:08   Link #30
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
I really thought that he was busted when the car approached him, like "oh crap, he's here....he's comming! Keiichi GET OFF THE ROAD! And why are you still carrying that shovel??? OMG Oishi is comming you'll be busted aaarrrrrrhrhhhhhhhh "
I was really relieved hearing it was Takano. But then something is telling me I can't quite feel too relieved just yet.....
Old 2006-06-16, 18:47   Link #31
Amaranthine

It was a good episode, which I gave 9/10. I won't bother saying why, my thoughts have already been voiced by others. And one thing is bugging me so much...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-16, 20:29   Link #32
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
I guess it's Tomitake afterall... or Satoko's uncle's body.

Spoiler for One thing I have to comment...:

9/10 for me. Psycho Onikakushi'd Keiichi is the one to look forward to~
Old 2006-06-16, 20:39   Link #33
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I loved this episode. Great suspence and atmosphere. I can't wait for the next episode.

Spoiler:

Old 2006-06-16, 20:48   Link #34
BakaOnna

Spoiler:

The only reason I didn't give it a 10 was I would've liked to see some of Keiichi's KOOLness get animated. Still, excellent episode.
Old 2006-06-16, 21:05   Link #35
Pacilia

THis is the first ep of higurashi that made me sit at the edge of my seat and my heart pounding really fast throughout the entire thing. It would've been better if osme things are explained, though I'm going to guess that I can get the answer in teh TIPS....
Old 2006-06-16, 21:34   Link #36
Beyond the Shave

Probably my favorite episode so far. They finally give Keiichi (a little, not much) backstory. I wonder if he went through an incident at his old school like Rena did?

The "big scene" was great, and Takano is definitely not a normal resident.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-16, 23:37   Link #37
BakaOnna

concerning the yellow road sign

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-16, 23:55   Link #38
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, I'm glad that they didn't do the Kei internal monologue.
Spoiler:

Spoiler for Teppei's scene:

So Tomitake...
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-17, 01:52   Link #39
evil-samurai

Quote:
The anime lacked these types of portrayal, that's why it felt really sudden to see Keiichi "going that far for Satoko".
It seemed normal to me, for him to do that, I'm glad he did too that uncle was a Bastard. I dont think it really needs to be explain much, I mean the uncle was physically abusing Satoko it seems only human to stop it straight! away and for Keiichi the best way to stop it was to kill him ^^ which doesn't seem like a huge thing in this show where death happens alot. Keiichi chararter always had a backbone and can get on edge sometimes. So in aspect of seeing Keiichi plan to kill someone also isn't a suprize.

A nice episode, The current Arc is better then the last but still it will be hard to top the first arc. As I hear there are another two episode for this arc, I wonder where the focus will be.. On Keiichi and the death or somewhere else...
Old 2006-06-17, 05:25   Link #40
hi-hi

Didn't play game or read manga, but did feel the connection between Keiichi and Satoko from those flashbacks.
He didn't really have friends in his old school, but the killer lolis welcomed him right away.

Tomitake:
Spoiler:
Closed Thread