Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-06, 22:22   Link #21
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
They are making a puerile spectacle of themselves and I'm saviouring every moment of it.
Saviouring? You've been spending too much time in the Gundam forum Mr Paper

I have to agree with Paper and Shay amongst others on this one. I have no disrespect for Muslims, having many friends who actively follow Islam, but it's people like this that really give the wrong impression for the minority of good, honest Muslims who aren't partaking in all this violence, and it's that minority who suffer for it. The violent groups who are making all this so much worse are the ones who made the image the West has of the Middle East into what it is today, and as many people have already stated this reaction really isn't helping things. Of course, if you think the extremist groups are simply going to back down and apologise... *sigh* If violent groups fly planes into our buildings and bomb our trains and buses, somewhere the press is bound to think something up. Just about everything has a cartoon drawn of it somewhere. Do I agree with that they did? Of course not, that should be obvious. Way to ruin it for the decent people who rest on Islam as a positive thing that can help them live their lives meaning no harm to anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
If christians did respond like that, I'd be just as appalled.
Quite.

And Illu, that first one's photoshopped isn't it? Just checking, it would be hilarious if it wasn't >.>
Old 2006-02-06, 22:32   Link #22
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

@Valdra; I haven't seen an original pic, but if it is shopped, then they really blended the pixels around the writing to match the other placards very well. The second pic is all real, though.
Old 2006-02-07, 00:49   Link #23
Willuknight
Animeblogger

Send a message via AIM to Willuknight
its possible that the 2nd picture was staged - http://img229.imageshack.us/full.php...npxd0548fh.jpg

Also the first picture *could* be photoshopped, the picture looks like it is from a news paper, so its too hard to tell if it has been edited after.
Old 2006-02-07, 01:13   Link #24
Fel
Clean up princess

I'm getting really tired of these Muslim "antics".
They're starting to resemble the old Christianity (an ugly sight).

Just have to wonder when the all-out Tenth Crusade will begin. Oh, wait...

The cartoonist sure must have built up a lot of bad karma during his life.
Old 2006-02-07, 02:01   Link #25
Zyan

Actually this issue is about 2 things:

- Rights and Responsibilities. It is basically a clash between the right to freedom of speech and the right of religious belief. And both rights have to be tempered by responsibility. Rights carried to its extreme are highly irresponsible and dangerous. It's strange that everyone involved defend their rights but never brought up their responsibility part. Personally, I feel that both sides over-reacted.

- Lack of understanding of each other. It is always because of the lack of understanding of each other that such issues get overblown. The Muslims cannot understand why the Europeans would want to caricature the good Prophet while the Europeans could not understand why the Muslims are so angry about a few cartoons.
Old 2006-02-07, 03:22   Link #26
giu_2

Send a message via MSN to giu_2
hehe its so fun to hear this on the news everyday..

Last edited by giu_2; 2006-02-07 at 03:34.
Old 2006-02-07, 06:29   Link #27
real folk blues..

being a muslim myself, i feel really upset when i hear about the publications of these caricatures.
it was uncalled for, it was unnecessary, it doesn't serve a purpose.
the late prophet had not done a thing to deserve this humiliation, for what reason was he subject to such abuse?
the reason being "freedom of expression" and that "religious dogmas have no place in a secular society" is utter bull. there are other ways to express your opinions.
i wonder what the response is if someone made satire out of the holocaust.
that said, i am pretty saddened with the reaction made by several groups of muslims.
Old 2006-02-07, 06:59   Link #28
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Deleted. I will say no more.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2006-02-07, 07:30   Link #29
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.0.7.
being a muslim myself, i feel really upset when i hear about the publications of these caricatures.
it was uncalled for, it was unnecessary, it doesn't serve a purpose.
Maybe it did not serve a purpose... (afaik this article was printed when there was a heat debate about migration politics in Denmark)... however, now it serves a purpose (and not a good one btw).

Quote:
the late prophet had not done a thing to deserve this humiliation, for what reason was he subject to such abuse?
the reason being "freedom of expression" and that "religious dogmas have no place in a secular society" is utter bull. there are other ways to express your opinions.
i wonder what the response is if someone made satire out of the holocaust.
that said, i am pretty saddened with the reaction made by several groups of muslims.
http://www.eurotrib.com/?op=displays...2/5/7431/74233

I do not wonder (anymore)... (and I know this article is a little bit biased).
The point is tolerance... it lags on both sides (but one side seems to express this lag of tolerance in a more fanatic way).
It is debatable if it was not right from an ethic point of view to print these caricatures (this depends on culture and religion... and denmark is not a muslim country afaik). It surely was not very clever, given the political situation in the world... some of the picture had a touch of racistic elements... and that is the reason why I am so disappointed about these cartoons. Well I am more disappointed of the world however... 1st because of politicians who stupidly intensify such conflicts, 2nd because there are so many people who follow extremist agitators into violence (which is to my understanding a sin in islam ... which makes this appear even more stupid... or lets say out of the context...)
Old 2006-02-07, 08:17   Link #30
TrueKnight

meh, look at Syria and Lebanon. Two Danish embasies had been burned, what next? Beheading videos of the ones responsible? Sorry but muslims take this matter way TOO seriously. If it's a protest, then fine, they had right for it. But threatening and burning flags and embasies? No wonder the world regards them as barbaric. Fact.
Old 2006-02-07, 08:58   Link #31
real folk blues..

@TrueKnight: before you say something, you should look for something to fill that cavity in your head where your brain used to be. people like you are probably the reason why this kind of outrage started in the first place.
so please, before going around making childish and naive comments, have the courtesy and open-mindedness to understand people.
that said, these muslims who burnt these embassies are probably as kiddy and as naive as you, if not more.

i totally agree with jinto lin, with the volatile state of the world today, something like this is probably the last thing you need.
funny thing is, why is the thing escalated now? these cartoons has been around for 4 months now.
i think everyone should know how seriously we are treating this matter, countries in the middle east have withdrawn their danish embassies, if administrators in a country- that i do not think for one second are stupid, are forcing the embassies to close, just goes to show you how bad a joke this entire thing is.

fact is this, muslims are not hard asses, we can take jokes. just not this one. this is a serious matter, the prophet was never depicted in any muslim pictures, let alone being the subject of satire. i hope people in this forum would understand how bad a joke this entire thing is, how deeply offended we all are about this. i look forward to your understanding of this entire issue.
Old 2006-02-07, 09:49   Link #32
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Oh wow. When people put up a cartoon that is offensive to muslims, the whole muslim community goes crazy, but when a Saudi newspaper publishes offensive cartoons about Jews, then that is alright. (If you seen the Wolf show on CNN)

Seriously, they should calm the **** down and relax a little, this is really giving a bad image to muslims.

Oh btw, Im a muslim and I think what "we" are doing around the world is just plain stupid and wrong.

Though I really think that it was a bad move by the Danes.
Old 2006-02-07, 10:23   Link #33
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Well let's take a look to see how the muslims are maturely handling this situation...burnings, boycotts, killings...but that's not enough! Oh no, it's time to give them a taste of their own medicine!

Iran to publish Holocaust cartoons!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss

Fucking dumbasses
Old 2006-02-07, 10:43   Link #34
giu_2

Send a message via MSN to giu_2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin

hehe those pics are funny ^^
Old 2006-02-07, 10:59   Link #35
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:

Seriously, they should calm the **** down and relax a little, this is really giving a bad image to muslims.
As if they don’t have one already?

Besides, is much easier to scream at other’s people “faults” then trying to fix the wrong at your own backyard.
Old 2006-02-07, 11:14   Link #36
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
This is why I hate my own people...sigh.

Lets make a new race, and join together!!!
Old 2006-02-07, 11:45   Link #37
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.0.7.
@TrueKnight: before you say something, you should look for something to fill that cavity in your head where your brain used to be. people like you are probably the reason why this kind of outrage started in the first place.
so please, before going around making childish and naive comments, have the courtesy and open-mindedness to understand people.
that said, these muslims who burnt these embassies are probably as kiddy and as naive as you, if not more.

i totally agree with jinto lin, with the volatile state of the world today, something like this is probably the last thing you need.
funny thing is, why is the thing escalated now? these cartoons has been around for 4 months now.
i think everyone should know how seriously we are treating this matter, countries in the middle east have withdrawn their danish embassies, if administrators in a country- that i do not think for one second are stupid, are forcing the embassies to close, just goes to show you how bad a joke this entire thing is.

fact is this, muslims are not hard asses, we can take jokes. just not this one. this is a serious matter, the prophet was never depicted in any muslim pictures, let alone being the subject of satire. i hope people in this forum would understand how bad a joke this entire thing is, how deeply offended we all are about this. i look forward to your understanding of this entire issue.
Part of freedom of speech is the freedom to say or depict things that others would find offensive. A few years ago there was a painting of the virgin Mary with elephant dung displayed in New York. There were many protests from people offended by it, demanding that it be removed. The painting stayed on display.

The entire point of free speech it to ensure the someone has the ability to say things others find controversial or offensive. Further, it is the most fundamental right, which makes all other rights possible. If we only allow clean, non-offensive, mainstream views to be expressed, we no longer have freedom of speech.

Muslims have every right to be offended. They have every right to protest. They have no right to burn embassies.
Old 2006-02-07, 12:51   Link #38
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiva128
Well let's take a look to see how the muslims are maturely handling this situation...burnings, boycotts, killings...but that's not enough! Oh no, it's time to give them a taste of their own medicine!

Iran to publish Holocaust cartoons!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss

Fucking dumbasses
That being that Iran's president had recently previously claimed that the holocaust had never existed in the first place. Hell, they even mention it within that article.

Poor kittens...
Old 2006-02-07, 13:40   Link #39
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
I've not read everyones posts, I'm just going to state how I feel on the subject.

Alot of the regions who object to the cartoon, run similar things bashing things of western culture.

So, why should they get away with it and we can't? Its called a joke, and buy rising up, destroying buildings and killing people over a cartoon, Well, lets just say maybe they ain't the wisest bunch of people and maybe, just maybe teh world would be better off without them [ the idiots complaining, not Muslims, not arabs, just the idiots whining about it ]
Old 2006-02-07, 16:19   Link #40
Bracken33

I totally agree with Komataguri.

Those are basically the same people, who blew the Bhudda statues in Afghanisten into pieces. Pure hipocrisy of fanatic radicals...
Closed Thread