Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-08-15, 18:53   Link #21
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
There are no "less important" components -otherwise they wouldn't be there at all.
Who said "less important", I certainly didn't. Can you really put quote marks around it?

But seriously, the PSU is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
I got a LC-Power with 550W for 30€ which is cheap.
Right, 30€ isn't too bad. But that case with power supply is only 32.32€. That case looks more expensive than 2.32€ to me, doesn't it?

I'm just saying you should shy away from a Power Supply that costs less than 15ish CAD.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 23:19   Link #22
Grona
Big Damit!

This PSU seems alright to me, its one of the ones that comes with a case.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=TC3Y-6001
any opinions?
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 23:50   Link #23
kree

Click Me
Alien Ware.

Great company. spend 1,200 or 20,000 They are all great machines, (the ones that cost 20,000 more-so)

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64
3500+ Processor

Memory
Dual Channel 512MB DDR
SDRAM PC-3200

Hard Drive
80GB Seagate® SATA
with 8MB Cache

Graphics Card
ATI RADEON™
9600 XT 128MB

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster®
Audigy® 2 ZS

just about 2000 Canadian

and I believe they have a leasing option, so you can trade in your old computer for a discount on a upgraded one.
kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 00:00   Link #24
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

wow umm your paying for the name and the case, in my opinion its cheeper to make/mod yourown then buy prebuilt.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 00:22   Link #25
kree

I'm going to due this in American dollars because I do not know the conversion rates myself and do not feel like running multiple numbers through a program.

chip
$420

board
$260

graphics card
$170

memory
$180

sound card
$150

harddrive
$190

major items totaled
$1370

total for system
1550 american

difference
$180

that 180 includeds tech support for a year, case, 500watt power source. cables
warranties,and the operating system (Xp home, which retails for the whole 180 dollars by itself)

Sure you could bargain hunt for lower prices on the components, however the assurance that if the CPU gets fried because of a mistake and you dont have to pay for it, is a huge upside.

plus you get a nifty free T-shirt

And please do not think I am completly against your argument. building can be cheaper and fun too, however it can be dangerous, especially if the only real requirement for the computer was a 420 dollar chip. which also then requires a expensive mother-board. So I like to give good safe options to everyone.

Also to tell a little secret I have never seated a chip for that same reason, I always buy the cheapest computer I can find with the best chip/mobo combination and just strip and rebuild.
Old 2004-08-16, 00:24   Link #26
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
If your gunna spend money on a custom built pc go with voodoo or falcon northwest.
there way ahead of alienware
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 00:43   Link #27
kree

Quote:
If your gunna spend money on a custom built pc go with voodoo or falcon northwest.
there way ahead of alienware
The same system would cost 50% more at either of those places.
Now they have good midrange machines, their bottom pricing is just a little high.

In my opinion the places to shop for pre-Build machines is as follows (american dollars again)

$1400 or less Dell
$1400-2400 AlienWare
$2500-4000 Falcon northwest
$4000+ Alien Ware
Old 2004-08-16, 01:45   Link #28
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
When i said custom pc i ment paint and every thing.
anyhow for what he's doing i would sugjest just getting a new mobo, cpu, ram, gpu and psu. and installing them himself or getting them installed.
anyhow i went on newegg.com (i order all my parts from there)
and priced some things out.
------------------
CPU AMD athlon 64 3200+ 208$ USD
ASUS "K8N-E Deluxe" NVIDIA nForce3 146$ USD
3x Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 346$
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 72$ USD
ATI Radeon 9700 195$ USD
SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM 87$ USD **Cheap**
LIAN-LI Black ATX Case 200$ USD

Grand total
1254$ USD
or
1645$ CA

I just upgraded my computer
New mobo ram and psu. cost 320 bought 1gb ram new mother board for the ram (had a mb that used rambus memory which is now pretty much not used) and a new 480 watt power supply.
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 06:09   Link #29
Grona
Big Damit!

No way am I ordering from the states, the customs will double the cost of the computer.

I dont think I'll be going with a LIAN-LI case either, of of my buddies had one and for the price it really wasnt worth it at all :/

I'm goin with one stick of 1GB memory, speed is not decided since I dont know what my mother.b will be. I just want the max abilty to pop a few more 1gig chips in there in the future.

One thing that I do know for sure, the vid card will be a ATI Radeon 9800 all in one 128.

Now time for some more stupid questions ^_^;
I know about the extrenal power requirements for the ATI Radeon 9800 all in one, but is there anything else I need on my motherboard to support it properly?

Also, is it really worth it to buy winXP Pro? All I have is winME so I need to upgreade to support all the ram.

And finnaly, what socket of processor would be best to be buying? I know nothing of all this ^_^'
Old 2004-08-16, 06:28   Link #30
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
Now time for some more stupid questions ^_^;
I know about the extrenal power requirements for the ATI Radeon 9800 all in one, but is there anything else I need on my motherboard to support it properly?
I'd recommend that you buy a good fan for the video card itself because it will heat up alot if you play games like Doom 3 for some hours which can decrease performance and in the worst case reboot your system. Also get a good fan for your CPU since you don't want it to overheat, don't you?

Quote:
Also, is it really worth it to buy winXP Pro? All I have is winME so I need to upgreade to support all the ram.
Either one works I guess although I've taken a liking to Win XP because it's more stable and you'll feel more important since most of the viruses are written for your OS.

Quote:
And finnaly, what socket of processor would be best to be buying? I know nothing of all this ^_^'
If you want to go for Athlon64 processors - which I really recommend - you need to buy an appropiate mainboard with Socket 754 to fit the CPU.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 09:06   Link #31
kree

The upper end 'All in One Wonder Cards' come with fans attached, which means there is a chance you will not be using one pci slot if it is to close too the agp slot,

Quote:
If you want to go for Athlon64 processors - which I really recommend - you need to buy an appropiate mainboard with Socket 754 to fit the CPU
I thought the new athlon 64 chips are socket 939, or am I just thinking of the fx models?

Quote:
When i said custom pc i ment paint and every thing.
anyhow for what he's doing i would sugjest just getting a new mobo, cpu, ram, gpu and psu. and installing them himself or getting them installed.
anyhow i went on newegg.com (i order all my parts from there)
and priced some things out.
I am sorry, I believe that I had completely miss-understood you. When I think of modding it usually involves a blow torch
Old 2004-08-16, 10:09   Link #32
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kree
The upper end 'All in One Wonder Cards' come with fans attached, which means there is a chance you will not be using one pci slot if it is to close too the agp slot,

I thought the new athlon 64 chips are socket 939, or am I just thinking of the fx models?
newest FX is 939, and man is it expensive, your looking at about a grand for a board and chip alone ^^'

hehe, yea I heard it was big in more ways than one, lol. I dont mind losing a slot if I cant find a MB with a decent config ><
Old 2004-08-17, 02:35   Link #33
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Here is my suggestions for a good system at a decent price:
cpu: Athlon 64 2800 or 3000 (socket 754 is good enough, you dont really need the dual channel memory of socket 939)
mobo: Asus,Abit,Gigabyte,MSI (your choice) mobo with either a nforce3 250 or K8T800 pro chipset
ram: 1 gig (usually a pair of 512) of GOOD ram, mainly cruical,corsair,mushkin,or kingston
video card: Radeon 9800 pro (best bang for your buck) or a Geforce 6800 GT (best bang for your buck for a top of the line video card)
hard drive: 74 gig Westren Digital Raptor (WORST bang for your buck for one of the best performing non scsi drives on the market), 120 or 160 gig Hitachi Deskstar (BEST bang for your buck, the best performing 7200 rpm drive out) or Seagate Barracuda 120 or 160 (great drive, 5 year warranty)
Optical drives: stick with Plextor,Lite On or TDK
Case: Antec,Lian Li,or Coolermaster Aluminum cases
Power Supply unit: Antec,Enermax,Pc Power and Cooling or Tagan. (get around 400-430 watts and make sure the amps on the 12v rail are atleast 20)
Also, i suggest strongly NOT to get pre built peices of shit, build it yourself
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 06:28   Link #34
Shadowlord
~DESU

i am going to add a little something before I go to the airport on vaction, I suppose it is all a matter of tase, but IMO, the Lian Li cases are CRAP. i really dislike the way they look, and are definitelly NOT worth their price. maybe not your biggest consideration, but hey, looks do count for something.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 10:16   Link #35
Cichlisuite

Its a matter of taste really, IMO i find Lian Li cases sexy
Old 2004-08-17, 11:54   Link #36
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlisuite
Its a matter of taste really, IMO i find Lian Li cases sexy
heh, it really isnt a problem, dont even have those cases at the places I order from ^^' What do you think of this one? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...ku=MTX-C-BN-AL
Old 2004-08-17, 12:58   Link #37
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

From that store... hmm... I like this one. Nice 120mm (quiet, good airflow) fans.

durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 13:04   Link #38
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Honestly? It's ugly . Just look at the front, it looks like some red Swiss cheese. At least it has two fan slots on the back (which do not come even with the case apparently) and one on the side - positioned quite awkwardly. I cannot state this enough, buy the case I and Shadowlord own; not only do they look cool (LEDs and whatnot ) but they come with three built-in fans (1x 120mm in the front just before the internal 3,5'' drive bay, and 2x 80mm fans, one on the back and one on the side, plus a free slot on the back for an extra 80mm fan).

EDIT: I found the link for that case (in silver though): http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...181&CatId=1520

What's more, I found another impressive case (and in black which is even better ) for $63:

plus
a Powmax 400W PSU for $42

which makes a total of $105, even cheaper than the case you linked to.

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-08-17 at 13:26.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 13:10   Link #39
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
if you do upgrade to XP, buy the upgrade versus the full version. Both are the same. When you install on a clean drive (strongly recommended to format your hard drive and wipe all old versions of Windows off before you begin) XP will ask you to prove you qualify for the upgrade version. Putting your old Windows CD in the CDROM drive proves that. From there it performs a full install. So get the upgrade version and save yourself some money. Hope this helps.
Is this true? 0.o That would save me a nice ammount if it is.

And I simply cant justify droping that kind of money into a case, espcialy one without a PSU.

EDIT- yea but a 400PSU ps is kinda too small for the vid card, although I supose I could pop the same PSU in that case, or one of the cheaper ones http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...asp?CatId=1483

Last edited by Grona; 2004-08-17 at 14:16.
Old 2004-08-17, 21:33   Link #40
Cichlisuite

Quote:
Thats a EXCELLENT case, iam usiing one right now thats almost exactly the same but its silver and with a more "simple" bezel design. ^_^
I would avoid that psu, get a Antec True430 or 480 instead. Also if your going to get XP get the oem version, the "upgrade" version requires you to have 98/ME installed to work.