AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-04, 19:32   Link #21
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Well, in Banished from the Hero's party the main jerk was Ares and he's the one who kicked Gideon out. Although the rest of the party did kind of realize they hadn't treated Gideon as fairly as they could have when he left.

It doesn't seem like the contract is a traditional "slave" setting but they didn't really dive deep into what the contract means. At least she doesn't have a slave collar .
The situation in Banished Hero isn't exactly a good comparison due to many variables that just make that whole thing fucked.

I mean, Gideon himself is pretty much as just much if not more of an asshole as Ares, he just believed Ares no question and just abandoned his sister without an explanation... while he knew Ares wanted to control her, while knowing that his sister was suffering due to her role as the hero... like, I understand wanting to just retire and build your own life, but holy shit did he do it in the worst way possible.

No, she doesn't have a slave collar, but she does bear his brand on her hand... she might as well just have a collar at that point.
Old 2022-10-04, 21:25   Link #22
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
The situation in Banished Hero isn't exactly a good comparison due to many variables that just make that whole thing fucked.

I mean, Gideon himself is pretty much as just much if not more of an asshole as Ares, he just believed Ares no question and just abandoned his sister without an explanation... while he knew Ares wanted to control her, while knowing that his sister was suffering due to her role as the hero... like, I understand wanting to just retire and build your own life, but holy shit did he do it in the worst way possible.

No, she doesn't have a slave collar, but she does bear his brand on her hand... she might as well just have a collar at that point.
There's far more to being a slave than whether you have someone's mark on you, or every man who tattoos his girlfriend's name to his arm is a slave. We have currently no indication that the permanent contract includes any manner of compulsion, just a sort of bond. It may be that it's something along those lines (wouldn't be the first story I'd seen where a girl goes up to the hero and begs him to make her his slave), but I'm withholding judgment on the matter.

I know some have complained about authors coming up with dumb or "unhealthy" stories, but I kind of doubt these stories get as many readers/viewers as they do simply because it reminds them of some jerks in a game they played. I think it might kind of speak to experiences some have had, things like thinking you're part of a group of friends only for those "friends" to suddenly tell you that you're annoying and useless and they want nothing to do with you, or even start bullying you out of nowhere. I've even seen that exact scenario play out in other stories designed to be better based in the real world. Like other story concepts that some don't like, I think it makes sense that something like this would be kind of satisfying for people who'd been outcast in one way or another. Plenty of frequently-done stories are just copying gimmicks from others, but sometimes I think there may be a real reason that that particular "gimmick" keeps selling. And of course, the presence of a certain degree of unreasonableness and/or malice serves this very well, as reasonable people with valid cause for their civil separation just don't fit the image in question.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-04, 23:50   Link #23
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post

Yeah, I kind of hope Rein doesn't get like Gideon/Red even though he doesn't care for fighting the Demon Lord now anymore than Red did .

Again, we don't really know how the contracts work. I don't get the sense it's a slavery situation.
Old 2022-10-07, 17:06   Link #24
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Saddest part is, though I've seen some claim that the "expelled" trope is unrealistic, fact is it even happens in real life when the parties aren't balanced properly or don't really communicate well. If the supporter role does his job too well, the attackers sometimes don't really notice and end up caring only about DPS. Who cares if we knew that enemy was coming, we can beat it easy! Who cares if we have enough items with us, we've never had a problem with anything before!
To pick up from my musings here, that's just setting the party up for a bad time. Not bothering to scout out that dungeon whose front door you're about to kick in? Better hope the 'bottom-tier' monsters who call the initial levels home aren't anything like Tucker's kobolds (which the writer of Goblin Slayer may well have been inspired in part by). And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Rein's old party is having trouble getting good deals on their supplies, because Rein was the only one who bothered reading the metaphorical economic room and/or cultivating the requisite people skills...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 11:19   Link #25
Greenish Growth

Ep 2:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Greenish Growth; 2022-10-08 at 12:21.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 13:09   Link #26
Frontier

Natalie's basically become Rein's cheerleader as he moves up through the guild! Lucky guy .

It's one thing for this bozo to oggle Kanade like a letch, but then he has the gall to insult Kanade's man in front of her! He deserved getting wrecked .

Huh, I thought Rein was basically doomed in that arm-wrestling match, but luckily through his contract with her, he has Kanade's super-strength! He really is the strongest Beast Tamer now .

Man, don't mess with Natalie. That jerk grabbed onto her skirt and she let him have it .

Poor Kanade...she thought being an adventurer would be more exciting and she'd get to do a lot of stuff, but instead she's picking herbs and Rein has his cuter, smaller, animals doing most of the work. But nothing beats teaming-up to save an old man from a bunch of bandits! The couple that beats bad guys up together, stays together .

Kanade was worried that all this newfound power would go to Rein's head and mess him up...but then she finds herself getting all turned on by him beating other people up. She's absolutely smitten with Rein !

I love how Rein just casually decides to take down an entire gang of criminals and his big plan was basically pulling a "Bees. My God." on them .

I knew the other adventurers would turn out to be from the Hero's Party...particularly Leane and Matia. Who rather than accept they ran away like cowards blame everything on the Beast Tamer they enlisted, expecting him to be as effective as Rein when Rein gave them a far grander impression of what Beast Tamers are capable of than the actual reality. Even if they're still too deluded and willing to complain about Rein to believe it. The Hero's Party is probably in for a rude awakening soon .

Man, even the knights don't care about common criminals praying on the townsfolk? They sound as bad as Arios and his party .

So Ebony Bandits had some King Lizards stored for emergencies...not that they discriminate from the bandits or the adventurers arresting them. Luckily Rein and Kanade are there to beat them up and save the day !

Looks like we're meeting the next Ultimate Species Rein will tame next week! Can't wait .
Old 2022-10-09, 02:47   Link #27
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm not sure we needed further evidence of how useless and stupid the hero's party is, but we certainly got it. They couldn't even handle guarding an old man from a few bandits. Even if they needed time and distance to cast some spells...they could have just backed off a bit and then fought back. And if they thought Rein was useless, then why even bother hiring a Beast Tamer for that job? These girls are a special kind of stupid.

Will be curious to see some of the other girls show up. Since this episode felt a bit bland. Rein is basically the kind of OP character that no one (including the guy himself) realized was OP. This show really makes me think of that "Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town" show. Rein must have grown up in some legendary village or something to gain his skewed idea of what normal is for a Beast Tamer.

Everything just feels really casual. Rein isn't a bad guy, but I don't find him that interesting either. Kanade is nice, but she basically didn't get to do anything this week until the very end. And that fight (and honestly most of the action) was off-screen or in still shots. Getting a feeling there isn't much of an animation budget for this show.

Definitely isn't bad. The main duo are nice people. But wasn't really gripped by this episode.
Old 2022-10-11, 20:21   Link #28
grecefar

Indeed the hero party is stupid just for the sake of stupid, but oh well.

How long until he can tame even the demon lord?, I'm sure if he tries hard he would've tame those king lizards.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-12, 04:05   Link #29
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Indeed the hero party is stupid just for the sake of stupid, but oh well.

How long until he can tame even the demon lord?, I'm sure if he tries hard he would've tame those king lizards.
The thing is stupid or not the party was right about him being a horrible example of a tamer class. He never tries to tame higher level monsters and he was carried all episode by the power boost from the catgirl(What does she get from the bond that made her want it so bad anyway?). Which is odd anyway since usually a tamer would boost his pets not the other way around.

The only real tamer stuff he has done is scout and summon the super hornets,which seem to be op vs low level humans but are A situational the fight has to happen near a nest and B mostly useless against the stuff a hero party would be fighting between heavy armor and poison resistance.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-12, 05:11   Link #30
Rasty

^ I think that you might be misunderstanding the tamer job. Firstly it seems he needs the "beast" to be friendly to tame it, so the obviously pissed tiger or lizards were not an option. And they might need good compatibility with the beast (possibly easier the weaker and simpler the animal is). I am also not sure whether monsters are tameable or beasts and monsters are different as we haven't seen him taming those. Overall the tamer job seems like decently usable support (scouting, tracking, spying, diversions, etc.) that is useless in a straight-up fight.

To defend the hero party a bit: they obviously misunderstood the role Rein should have played, but as for the bandits it is kind of Rein's fault. Since he thinks his skills are average for a tamer they took this from him and thus misunderstood the helper to be about the same level. They expected him to be able to keep scouting perimeter with flying or small animals and hold his own on the frontlines for a couple of minutes. Without frontline a priest (without melee abilities) is useless and a mage might be usable in 1v1, but against a mob of enemies, she would just get overwhelmed anyway. They needed a scout and a tank (Rein played dodge tank), but they thought they had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
What does she get from the bond that made her want it so bad anyway?.
NSFW
R15, will change your view of Kanade forever
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Rasty; 2022-10-12 at 05:57.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-12, 07:52   Link #31
grecefar

I'm sure he can tame anything no matter what monster is, we already know that he can tame insects, he can tame anything if he try. I agree that he doesn't try he just accept his role as support and didn't even think in what he could do and was happy with his position.

Hell even the bear that was carrying the bags can do some damage or protect him if a monster attacks, he just doesn't think about it.
Old 2022-10-12, 09:05   Link #32
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
I'm sure he can tame anything no matter what monster is, we already know that he can tame insects, he can tame anything if he try. I agree that he doesn't try he just accept his role as support and didn't even think in what he could do and was happy with his position.

Hell even the bear that was carrying the bags can do some damage or protect him if a monster attacks, he just doesn't think about it.
Why are you so sure? We're given no evidence of this. In fact, he's always polite and communicative, making requests rather than orders, and at least in terms of the full contracts it's made clear that it requires the partner's direct willing consent. It would certainly be better if a bit more clarity was given to how he convinces the animals to work for him even temporarily, but everything says that "contract" means just that: a consensual agreement between him and the beast or ultimate species in question. It never presents it as a slavery system where they're compelled to do his bidding, but as an agreement for service. Again, would be better if it was clearer on why they'd consent to the service; hopefully the LN would give some info on this. This also may imply that he has to be a little careful of what he requests: asking an animal to waste some time checking for enemies or finding one special type of plant is probably easier than asking it to jump into a brawl and risk its life. With the bees it's probably a bit easier because at their size they're more easily able to escape after attacking, and they're not asked to fight all out, only to land one or two stings on a few people.

He also made a point from the start that the normal contract only lasts for a brief period after which the creature regains full autonomy. The fact that the animals don't attack him then or fly in terror would further maintain the suggestion he made that it's communicative, as they afterward don't see him as a prey or enemy that overpowered them but just someone they know and did a favor for. Hard to say if they'd be so friendly if he forced them to do things they really didn't want to do like, say, risk their lives fighting monsters.
Old 2022-10-12, 09:17   Link #33
grecefar

he can tame the "ultimate beast" but can't tame lesser species?, he tame the dragon woman in the opening, so he can tame dragons and the twin girls seems they are full spirits and not beasts and are ultimates too, so yeah... he can tame anything. If it's for the consent of the beast then there is that, but still it doesn't make sense that he can tame the ultimate dragon and ultimate cat and then he can't tame the king lizard or the tiger.

I believe the more poweful he becomes he can make the beast fight for him without consent or the beasts are willing to fight for him, but he isn't that kind of guy. I already think he is strong enough even before the contract with kanade.

my problem with him is that he doesn't try, he only made a contract with kanade because she told him too, it didn't even cross his mind. Maybe he isn't confident or something like that.

Last edited by grecefar; 2022-10-12 at 09:35.
Old 2022-10-12, 10:18   Link #34
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
he can tame the "ultimate beast" but can't tame lesser species?, he tame the dragon woman in the opening, so he can tame dragons and the twin girls seems they are full spirits and not beasts and are ultimates too, so yeah... he can tame anything. If it's for the consent of the beast then there is that, but still it doesn't make sense that he can tame the ultimate dragon and ultimate cat and then he can't tame the king lizard or the tiger.

I believe the more poweful he becomes he can make the beast fight for him without consent or the beasts are willing to fight for him, but he isn't that kind of guy. I already think he is strong enough even before the contract with kanade.

my problem with him is that he doesn't try, he only made a contract with kanade because she told him too, it didn't even cross his mind. Maybe he isn't confident or something like that.
First off, there's still possibly a difference between "animal/ultimate species" and "monster". Might not be, could just be "monster" means "powerful beast" or "hostile beast". I seem to recall him saying something about monsters in the manga, back when he first met Kanade. In any case, there's also the fact that some kinds apparently require some manner of training or understanding, as he needed to train to be able to tame insects for example. Could be monster tamer is another subclass (though if it is then yes I'm sure he'll be capable of attaining it, no denying that the hero is OP within his field). That said, there's absolutely no indication that Rein can or would make beasts fight for him against their will. You may be right, but so far it's just what you think.

Could indeed be that he isn't that confident though. Although I don't think that lack of confidence is the main reason he didn't try to tame Kanade. Again, the permanent contract is clearly established as a consensual bond, so he couldn't do it without her willing consent to be bound to him forever. On top of that, Kanade herself said that it's extremely rare for a beast tamer to be strong enough to tame an ultimate species, and they seem to be kind of legendary beings (cat spirits for instance keep away from humans), so it seems unlikely that he'd really have any experience with them or know of that as a reasonable possibility for an "average" tamer like himself.
Old 2022-10-12, 13:52   Link #35
Magewolf

Where is everybody getting this "The beasts have to consent peacefully" from? The show itself said he learnt unarmed combat to be able to subdue beasts he was trying to tame without harming them.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-12, 14:25   Link #36
Rasty

^ Nobody said peacefully, just consent and subduing wasn't directly mentioned, so it still can be just persuasion while avoiding getting injured. Though even getting beaten till it consents is consent. But since it's only temporary and we don't know how strong the orders/suggestions are this can be a pretty terrible idea or plainly pretty much useless (if the animal just understands, but isn't forced to do anything).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-12, 14:58   Link #37
Greenish Growth

It's like that thing that was noticed from 22 years ago - the first girl to appear in the ren'ai game anime adaption is almost guaranteed to be the ending girl.

The characters that put down and insult the main character during an adventurer party expulsion story are rarely going to be redeemed characters. At worst it has to go in a safer direction like this:

Party Leader: "Ariake, you're useless and contribute nothing to this party! We're expelling you!"

Ariake: "Why? Can I ask the reason?"

Party Leader: "You only do what anyone else can do! You can't fight either! We have to waste our time defending you! We can easily get someone better!"

Ariake: " But I contribute this and that!"

Party Leader: "Don't exaggerate! We can't even tell what you're doing because we're naive and you haven't demonstrated your full abilities in front of us!"

Party Leader: "Arisa! This useless guy is your childhood friend! Don't you agree that this weak crap should go?"

Arisa: "...Un, Ariake, you shouldn't be here. You should leave."

(Ariake runs away crying)
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-12, 18:03   Link #38
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Where is everybody getting this "The beasts have to consent peacefully" from? The show itself said he learnt unarmed combat to be able to subdue beasts he was trying to tame without harming them.
That doesn’t necessarily change things. Doesn’t even necessarily mean he’s beating them into submission. Sometimes people you want to talk would rather attack you. In such cases you need to be able to fight and win just to be able to open negotiations. Yu can still negotiate after getting him to stop attacking. And in any case it doesn’t change that it won’t be long before the beast is free to act as it wants, which could include violence if it didn’t agree with things that happened.
Old 2022-10-15, 12:38   Link #39
Frontier

Don't you just love innkeepers who can't help but put an obvious couple into one room together? Of course Rein is too much of a wimp to go along with it, Kanade doesn't mind one bit .

Kanade wouldn't have just settled with anyone, she's had plenty of bad experience with humans before, but she can tell that Rein is genuinely kind and compassionate, and that's why she chose him. And she wants to make him happy and heal his pain from being abandoned. It's rather sweet .

So not only have they gone up a rank and gotten more money, but now they're getting assigned all the more difficult jobs! Kind of feels like Natalie has Rein wrapped around her fingers, even if she means well .

Nobody told these two they'd be fighting a dragon! And not just a dragon, but a Dragonoid girl! And she's hot! Just look at her with that bust, those thighs, that long flaming red hair, and she fights in heels! Tania is definitely bringing in the sex appeal, on-top of being very entertaining with her flamboyance and drive to fight a good challenger .

Tania wasn't just boasting about her strength, she can handle Rein and Kanade pretty easily by herself and ward off all their attacks. Kanade is about even with her as a fellow Ultimate Beast, but despite their brawling and Rein trying to sneak attack her, neither of them can get a good hit in .

Of course in the end Reins' true strength is as a Beast Tamer and he uses a flock of birds to poison Tania and weaken her. I wonder if that's going to be how Rein keeps solving the problems on this show instead of having his Harem just steamroll stuff ?

Tania was resigned to Rein doing whatever he wanted with her, but she seemed to start falling for him for his genuine kindness and concern, just like Kanade did .

I see they're just writing Tania off as a dragon cosplayer, even if she's still looking for a fight and more than ready to tell everyone in earshot that she's a dragonoid. And she's already throwing herself at Rein and fully ready to make a contract with him (probably in more ways than one). Kanade's none too happy about it, but her and Tania's competing with each other seems like it'll be pretty fun. Rein's lucky he's got two beauties to himself now and can sleep through their arguments .

The Hero's Party is still trash and realize they need Rein again, to the point where they're planning to lead him on again and then ditch him after he helps them through the forest. Boy are they in for a rude awakening. I'm already imagining Tania wrecking each of them .
Old 2022-10-15, 13:49   Link #40
grecefar

I liked this chapter, kanade vs tania was fun.

For the title of the next chapter, indeed it seems that tania is going to kick their asses. They are too late, if he was alone then maybe because he is that nice but now...

I'm here hoping but I think the black mage of the hero's party is a tsundere and she likes rein. She is the most vocal about him.