AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-05-08, 13:49   Link #21
Mazryonh

Episode 6:

So Black Cape's identity is revealed, but not to a whole lot of surprise. There's still a lot of questions about who sent Black Cape after Klara, why Klara is so valuable, etc.

We get to see the boy that White Cape rescued earlier in the series, but we don't know why he was rescued exactly. There was a nice ballet sequence around 5 minutes in. I wonder who they hired to motion capture that one.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-08, 21:10   Link #22
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well more of the mystery of Klara is revealed and it seem that Valery kind of involved in what happened to her

Leyla is really flexible
Old 2020-05-15, 13:55   Link #23
Ernietheracefan

Episode 7 is hilariously funny.. And Reiji is dead (again)..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-15, 20:51   Link #24
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a fun episode everyone following Sakura family date

Sunglasses are the perfect disguise
Old 2020-05-15, 21:48   Link #25
Mazryonh

This felt like another filler episode. I wish we could have gotten to the main plot sooner, which the next episode preview is promising to do. Not much has happened in this series so far.
Old 2020-05-16, 16:11   Link #26
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
This felt like another filler episode. I wish we could have gotten to the main plot sooner, which the next episode preview is promising to do. Not much has happened in this series so far.
I haven't watched the episode yet, but given what I've seen and heard, something tells me that this is more like a "fan service" episode to those who've played the video game, given the lightheartedness and the appearances of Itsuki and Hiromi.

As for not much happening in the show, two things to say here.

1. With Sakura Wars, the first half intends to be more focused on the characters, with the plot taking center stage in the second half.

2. Slowly but surely, we do have a basic idea of what's going on in the main plot: Clara has some sort of power that, while it has beneficial aspects (i.e. bringing life to an old Sakura tree, strengthening Claris' magic abilities), is also resulting in demons being attracted to her and the Moscow Revue wanting her to point of sending robots to abduct her.
Old 2020-05-16, 19:52   Link #27
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
I haven't watched the episode yet, but given what I've seen and heard, something tells me that this is more like a "fan service" episode to those who've played the video game, given the lightheartedness and the appearances of Itsuki and Hiromi.

As for not much happening in the show, two things to say here.

1. With Sakura Wars, the first half intends to be more focused on the characters, with the plot taking center stage in the second half.

2. Slowly but surely, we do have a basic idea of what's going on in the main plot: Clara has some sort of power that, while it has beneficial aspects (i.e. bringing life to an old Sakura tree, strengthening Claris' magic abilities), is also resulting in demons being attracted to her and the Moscow Revue wanting her to point of sending robots to abduct her.
Fanservice for the game's players is all well and good, but I like some more connections to the main storyline every now and then to keep me invested.

Yes, Itsuki and Hiromi are side characters. Seeing them in this episode was good, but they should have been present earlier in the series. I have a feeling this might be the only time we see them in the anime series.

Come to think of it, where are the Shanghai Combat Revue members? Did they leave their restaurant HQ behind in Tokyo and go join up with WLOF on a permanent basis? What about Lancelot and Elise, whom we haven't seen since the first episode?

I hope that the last four episodes are all focused on the main plotline. This series has not been very good at making its writing attention-grabbing. The fact that it can't really afford to focus on any one heroine (because the player might have chosen differently during the game) also doesn't help matters either.
Old 2020-05-22, 10:59   Link #28
Ernietheracefan

Man, that escalates quickly.. Klara is an angel, while Leyla is a demon..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.

Last edited by Ernietheracefan; 2020-05-22 at 12:39.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 16:25   Link #29
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernietheracefan View Post
Man, that escalates quickly.. Klara is an angel, while Leyla is a demon..
We knew there was something not-quite-human about these two. Now we know that Leyla was the harpy-like monster we saw at the beginning of the series who tried to kidnap Klara away from White Cape and WLOF.

What really stood out to me this time were the apparent budget cuts to this episode. We see next to none of Hatsuho and Leyla dancing. We saw more of Leyla dancing in a previous episode when she was dancing a pas de deux with Kaminski.

I would actually like to have seen Leyla participate in the bread race/obstacle course against Azami. Of course it would have been inelegant of Leyla, but actually seeing the two of them do that kind of race in the platforms Azami usually wears and the platform high heels Leyla wears would actually be kind of interesting.

Sakura surviving that fall without being caught was a complete Deus Ex Machina (though it was foreshadowed in the opening sequence). That would have been a good opportunity for White Cape to catch her instead.

I also think it's a waste to show Elise and Margarethe in a cameo without giving them spoken lines. Their voice actresses are two of the most famous around. Maybe it was a budget decision?

Last edited by Mazryonh; 2020-05-22 at 18:03.
Old 2020-05-22, 21:09   Link #30
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So Klara and Leyla both have wings

Aww no bread eat obstacle race
Old 2020-05-23, 01:39   Link #31
charles883

Klara and Leyla is obviously same type as Aya-Me
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-23, 01:46   Link #32
zztop

Quote:
Fanservice for the game's players is all well and good, but I like some more connections to the main storyline every now and then to keep me invested.

Yes, Itsuki and Hiromi are side characters. Seeing them in this episode was good, but they should have been present earlier in the series. I have a feeling this might be the only time we see them in the anime series.

Come to think of it, where are the Shanghai Combat Revue members? Did they leave their restaurant HQ behind in Tokyo and go join up with WLOF on a permanent basis? What about Lancelot and Elise, whom we haven't seen since the first episode?

I hope that the last four episodes are all focused on the main plotline. This series has not been very good at making its writing attention-grabbing. The fact that it can't really afford to focus on any one heroine (because the player might have chosen differently during the game) also doesn't help matters either.
The latest episode implies (but not confirm) the foreign combat revues likely went back to their home countries. Given the Tokyo Revue was able to prove their worth by source game's end, I assume the Shanghai members went back to their home city.

Most likely the final episodes will focus more on the plot. The story formula in the franchise often saves the serious plot and action for last, with earlier content being focused on the character interactions + fluff.

I understand the franchise's prime appeal in Japan is the fanservice, the characters easygoing bonding/interacting amidst the villain of the week content. Word is the anime was much better received with the local Japanese fanbase compared to the game (some were furious at how Shin wrote out the previous casts from Games 1-5). The 2ndary appeal was the focus on its alt-era Taisho period; the nostalgia of "early 20th century Japan that could've been".
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-23, 11:48   Link #33
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
The latest episode implies (but not confirm) the foreign combat revues likely went back to their home countries. Given the Tokyo Revue was able to prove their worth by source game's end, I assume the Shanghai members went back to their home city.
That seems to be what happened with the Shanghai team at least. But with regards to the London and Berlin teams, we saw Lancelot and Elise working with Kamiyama (who was working with WLOF at the time) right at the first episode of the series. That implies that they were also working with WLOF, not just chilling back at home.

Quote:
Most likely the final episodes will focus more on the plot. The story formula in the franchise often saves the serious plot and action for last, with earlier content being focused on the character interactions + fluff.
Does the fluff really sell BDs? Or keep TV viewers coming back for more if the main plotline isn't at least teased on a regular basis? This isn't a slice of life show (or at least I don't think it's supposed to be one), there is a main conflict that is supposed to be getting attention regularly.

Quote:
I understand the franchise's prime appeal in Japan is the fanservice, the characters easygoing bonding/interacting amidst the villain of the week content. Word is the anime was much better received with the local Japanese fanbase compared to the game (some were furious at how Shin wrote out the previous casts from Games 1-5). The 2ndary appeal was the focus on its alt-era Taisho period; the nostalgia of "early 20th century Japan that could've been".
Would you happen to know just why the anime was better received than the game was? The old combat revues are still gone, with the exception of Sumire. As for the alternate history, it's not just Japan that's changed; clearly there have been no communist revolutions in China and Russia, and it's possible that the German Empire is still around too.
Old 2020-05-23, 12:51   Link #34
zztop

Quote:
Does the fluff really sell BDs? Or keep TV viewers coming back for more if the main plotline isn't at least teased on a regular basis? This isn't a slice of life show (or at least I don't think it's supposed to be one), there is a main conflict that is supposed to be getting attention regularly.

Would you happen to know just why the anime was better received than the game was? The old combat revues are still gone, with the exception of Sumire. As for the alternate history, it's not just Japan that's changed; clearly there have been no communist revolutions in China and Russia, and it's possible that the German Empire is still around too.
To your 1st question; yes, I think the fluff can sell BDs for this franchise. (Just look at how well some "cute girls/boys doing cute things" animanga can sell among Japanese anifans.)
Nearly all* Sakura Wars anime media were written as direct tie-ins/spinoffs of the game that are more character-focused (esp. on the female team members). It assumes the BD buyers are diehard fans willing to spend money to see the further adventures/fluff of the Sakura Wars cast. The plot is important, but it's always been somewhat of a 2ndary feature in the story.

(*except the 2000 TV anime, which was purposely written as a darker, more serious, alt-universe version of the 1st Sakura Wars game).

Someone on a Sakura Wars Discord channel said it was because of the diehard fans' poor initial reception to the game when it first came out in Japan - they were pissed the pre-established cast of the previous games were written out to justify the new game putting in a new cast. Apparently SW's veteran writer, Ishii Jirou, got a lot of internet harassment/death threats over the story.
I'm not too clear on actual details; perhaps you could join the discord to get more indepth answers.
https://discord.com/channels/5764578...23801839927308

As for political situations:
Spoiler for Political situations:
Old 2020-05-23, 13:38   Link #35
Mazryonh

Quote:
To your 1st question; yes, I think the fluff can sell BDs for this franchise. (Just look at how well some "cute girls/boys doing cute things" animanga can sell among Japanese anifans.)
Nearly all* Sakura Wars anime media were written as direct tie-ins/spinoffs of the game that are more character-focused (esp. on the female team members). It assumes the BD buyers are diehard fans willing to spend money to see the further adventures/fluff of the Sakura Wars cast. The plot is important, but it's always been somewhat of a 2ndary feature in the story.
Yeah, but this show is no K-ON! or similar moeblob show depicting moeblob characters doing moeblob things. There's a war (or at least a violent conflict) going on, and from the way the characters go about it, it's like the war isn't much of a concern at all. Fluff has a place, but those who are more interested in the story and how the characters deal with it are going to be looking for the substance.

Quote:
Someone on a Sakura Wars Discord channel said it was because of the diehard fans' poor initial reception to the game when it first came out in Japan - they were pissed the pre-established cast of the previous games were written out to justify the new game putting in a new cast. Apparently SW's veteran writer, Ishii Jirou, got a lot of internet harassment/death threats over the story.
I'm not too clear on actual details; perhaps you could join the discord to get more indepth answers.
https://discord.com/channels/5764578...23801839927308
If they're this pissed at the original combat revues being written out, then I wonder what their reaction was when it was announced that longtime series character designer Fujishima Kosuke was not returning to design characters for Shin Sakura Taisen.

Quote:
As for political situations:
Spoiler for Political situations:
The political situations could have fooled me regarding what is on display in the new game and the series.
Spoiler for Discussion of Spoilers:
Old 2020-05-23, 23:57   Link #36
zztop

Quote:
Y
The political situations could have fooled me regarding what is on display in the new game and the series.
Spoiler for Discussion of Spoilers:
I wouldn't take the political situations too seriously for this kind of franchise; it's less about the historical accuracy and how brightly eye-catching you can make the designs while still loosely reflecting the country's cultures. Otherwise, you'd have to ask the artists themselves why they chose those type of designs.
Old 2020-05-24, 10:31   Link #37
Mazryonh

Quote:
I wouldn't take the political situations too seriously for this kind of franchise; it's less about the historical accuracy and how brightly eye-catching you can make the designs while still loosely reflecting the country's cultures. Otherwise, you'd have to ask the artists themselves why they chose those type of designs.
I suppose you're right. But I also appreciate self-consistent worldbuilding, which as you say isn't the priority of this series. I'd certainly like to ask Yukiko Horiguchi (the designer for Yui and Xiaolong, along with the characters of K-ON! and Tamako Market) whether or not her design for Yui was inspired by Sakura Kinomoto of Cardcaptor Sakura and whether or not her design for Xiaolong was inspired by Duo Maxwell of Gundam Wing.
Old 2020-05-29, 11:05   Link #38
Mazryonh

Episode 9: Well, it seems they were saving at least some of the budget for the fights in this episode. We get to see the Flower Division go all-out against the Moscow Revue's Koubu, and even get to see White Cape and Leyla (without her mech, for some reason) join in on the action.

Thanks to Kamiyama's investigation in Russia, Klara's and Leyla's true natures are revealed, just like the title of this episode says. Kaminski unleashes some of his floating fortress' full power on the Flower Division, which is a sight to behold. It looks like Kamiyama might not actually make it back in time for the rest of the series, unfortunately, and it doesn't look like we'll see more of the other Combat Revues' members either.

Sakura's old Koubu is shown in the next episode preview. It was shown to be disabled at some point in the game, but now it looks like it will make another appearance.
Old 2020-05-29, 20:48   Link #39
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well everything is about Klara and Layla revealed and finely Hakushu showed her true face to the gang
Old 2020-05-30, 10:19   Link #40
zztop

Chibi artwork depicting the current conflict:
Spoiler for Current conflict:

Quote:

Thanks to Kamiyama's investigation in Russia, Klara's and Leyla's true natures are revealed, just like the title of this episode says. Kaminski unleashes some of his floating fortress' full power on the Flower Division, which is a sight to behold. It looks like Kamiyama might not actually make it back in time for the rest of the series, unfortunately, and it doesn't look like we'll see more of the other Combat Revues' members either.
Likely not, it's tradition for Sakura Wars anime spinoffs to focus on the girls and bench the playable male lead (ie. the games focus on Kamiyama, the anime focus on the girls and others). Except Game 5's OVA, but that was because the developers couldn't fit its story into the game on time (so they kept it for OVA).

I found the anime's lore expansion on kouma-human relations (esp. peaceful humanoid ones like Naoya and their allies like Murasame) quite interesting, esp. since (iirc) previous games only summed up kouma as feral darkness creatures to be destroyed all the time and never expanded beyond that. Makes you wonder if future game instalment stories will take this into account as well.

Tags
adaptation, alternate history