Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-13, 08:28   Link #21
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
I haven't watched this series yet, but I want to ask.

What is this Mom like, is she something like "Megumin", or rather normal?

Unless she isn't on the level of Souji's Mom crazy from Ore Twintail series, I'm not thinking of watching it.
Frankly she feels more like the mother from MM. One of a type of character I really dislike, who never picks up that she's annoying someone, never picks up that she's going too far, completely misses the most obvious points anytime they go against her personal wishes. And on top of that she obliviously says and does stuff that she's supposed to think are signs of love and affection that instead are guaranteed to make the MC feel incredibly pathetic, like wiping out two whole armies with pathetic ease and then acting crazy impressed that the MC was able to knock down one small harmless-looking bird when he was trying to take out the entire army. Usually in stories if this sort of character is supposed to be a main heroine she's given limits and traits designed to temper them, but so far I'm seeing none of that, just an overprotective, overly-affectionate mother who doesn't get her son's feelings and how she's hurting him even when he makes it painfully obvious. True, Makoto went too far at the end. but one can't forget that he'd been pushed to that point.

Not to mention she's ruined his beloved games. A gamer generally wants to become an awesome character. They may be willing to be a secondary fighter or support or something, part of a team rather than the one great hero. But there's no fun being a party member with someone who clearly makes you completely meaningless, just a decoration that has no effect on the battle. And the last thing they want is to have this discovery of how pointless it is to be together with that person be followed with empty praise for trying hard.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 10:24   Link #22
rladls2121

MM's, that's rather one dimensional.
Well, thanks for the info, made me convinced to watch it though.
Because I want to see the MC reactions of those.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 11:14   Link #23
grecefar

I understand mc being rebel and annoyed by her mom, everyone has that phase but to tell her mother he will disown her is like tell her that you are dead to her, my brother did the same thing to my mom and trust me it wasn't pretty, you don't tell that to your own mother no matter what.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 11:43   Link #24
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Mamako (is that really a name? Mama-ko? lol!) looks more like his big sister than his mother. I saw no husband/mention of a father so she might have gotten him very young with the father bailing as quickly as possible (what an idiot).
I actually looked to try and see if she was wearing a wedding ring and couldn't find one, although I doubt they'll go into it.
Old 2019-07-13, 13:00   Link #25
arkhangelsk

It is an interesting premise, but I am completely unable to believe that was a Mom (there goes that premise), and I agree with BWTraveller as to how annoying she is.

And the allocations ... I mean I know I've just beefed at another thread over this, and it is a rare choice to give any female this allocation where a male is involved. But still... really? Because it isn't funny.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 18:22   Link #26
rladls2121

Looking at the title, it feels to me that the series itself is basically asking the readers and watchers to hate the mom in a way, weird.
Old 2019-07-13, 23:38   Link #27
ramlaen

The show is a vehicle to consume Pochi MILF material, anything more is overthinking it.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 00:00   Link #28
rladls2121

This so called Ma-kun's attitude towards his mother made me thought about it.
It's supposed to be his fun experience of tasting how playing a game inside is and somehow his mother just had to tag along and invading his personal space at every moment, well that is what teenage boys usually do, playing game alone, right?
If I'm right, then damn it.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2019-07-14 at 01:03.
Old 2019-07-14, 06:46   Link #29
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Stop overthinking it, the mom IS the selling point of the show/LN, right down in the title. If you wanted to see Generic Brown Haired Light Novel Protag having a wish-fulfillment experience, you are watching the wrong show.
I mean, the starter town is literally called MOM.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 07:54   Link #30
arkhangelsk

I think OP Mom is a great concept. I just wish the Mom was more sympathizable.
Old 2019-07-14, 08:09   Link #31
Ultragunner

LOL, the ED literally starts with "Ara ara mama, Ufufu mama..." genius
Old 2019-07-14, 10:38   Link #32
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

The third and last isekai series this season huh.

If "clueless mom becomes the strongest hero" is the one trick they'll go with until the end then I can't see how this will be more interesting than the usual isekai.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 10:48   Link #33
zztop

Iida Pochi started being a virtual Youtuber this year. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC22...z75NU6Q/videos

She does drawing sessions, game videos (Minecraft, Monster Hunter) and chatting sessions. However, they are all in Japanese with no subtitles.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 11:54   Link #34
rladls2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I think OP Mom is a great concept. I just wish the Mom was more sympathizable.
I have a feeling she'll be more sympathizable than we all think.

And Shirase and Shirarase will be a thing to Masato and Mamako everytime they are going through things for the first time.
She is not going to stop with the thing everytime she opens her mouth does she?
Old 2019-07-14, 13:01   Link #35
Tenzen12

I doubt we will ever see Shirase and Shirarase again, they were probably only one time characters. I am looking forward to meet Shirararase and Shirarararase though.
Old 2019-07-15, 23:18   Link #36
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Looking at the title, it feels to me that the series itself is basically asking the readers and watchers to hate the mom in a way, weird.
Not all. If anything, the guy is kind of a jerk. He doesn't deserve such an adorable mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
If "clueless mom becomes the strongest hero" is the one trick they'll go with until the end then I can't see how this will be more interesting than the usual isekai.
That makes it more interesting. How many times do you see a mom being the strongest hero? It's pretty fucking rare. That's why it's a good concept.
Old 2019-07-15, 23:23   Link #37
arkhangelsk

Said Mom in her mannerisms resembled an older sister (at least an anime version) more than a Mom. They should have called this Tsujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de 2-kai Kougeki no Oneesan wa Suki desu ka?

It still wouldn't make that female character likeable. Male was a typical male - brusque but within limits. "Mom" was too perky and annoying to even be a good sister.
Old 2019-07-15, 23:30   Link #38
Applehell

Personally I felt that Mamako is waay too much like a mom (what it is perceived to be one role) than actual character who happens to be one if you ask me. Hopefully she expand instead of just partially being a running gag.

I can totally get where Ma-kun is coming from including going a bit too far and saying something you don't mean to your parent out of frustration at that age. I can't think of many teenagers who play these kind of games with their parents, especially since the point is to escape from everything in their IRL, your nagging and overbearing parents most of all.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-15, 23:37   Link #39
Kazu-kun

The guy having his wish-fillfilment fantasy ruined by his mom tagging along and being stronger then him is kinda the point of the show. Those who can't get into that probably shouldn't watch it.
Old 2019-07-15, 23:40   Link #40
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I doubt we will ever see Shirase and Shirarase again, they were probably only one time characters. I am looking forward to meet Shirararase and Shirarararase though.
Who I imagine will all do their best to inform our heroes of things .

Tags
mom protagonist, virtual reality