AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-02-12, 14:45   Link #21
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
People calm down,even if this new adaptation is bad this wont make the previous anime burn into nonexistence.
Of course not, and there already various unrelated adaptations out there (oh, Takarazuka <3). For me it's just that... when it comes to anime adaptations, these are characters we've been "together" with for 110 episodes = ~2700 hours (a lot more if you count the gaidens), they're like old friends and acquaintances in a story that's pretty much perfect. It's going to be pretty difficult to accept a new adaptation with new designs* and even more importantly, a new voice cast (which is absolutely inevitable).

*Unless they're based on the manga, in which case I won't be too happy but eh, I'm already familiar with those designs. (My twin stars are prettier in the manga than in the anime, though, so I wouldn't complain too much. XD)

It doesn't help that they did something like this way back, with the Golden Wings OVA - an unrelated anime adaptation of a side story, with different chara designs (based on the manga), a different voice cast and all, and it was just really bad and I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

I'm not saying it can't be good, it's just that, I don't see the point, and besides, why mess with perfection.

Quote:
and who knows if this new adaptation is successful it might lead to a new Arslan Senki adaptation.
An Arslan anime reboot would be probably based on the Arakawa manga, though. :/ *pessimist*

Quote:
Really,what about Space Batlleship Yamato 2199? That was an intelligent and great space opera.And it was financially successful.
Yamato and LoGH are apples and oranges, though... And you can't do any justice to LoGH in 26 episodes (or a movie or whatever). Just can't.

In any case, if they do it I demand the following:
1) awesome uniforms
2) awesome and fitting voice cast (no typecasting plz, also no Koyasu Takehito anywhere near the Imperial side) - actually if they cast it right this could be a very nice experience for seiyuu and viewers alike
3) no messing with my favorite characters
Old 2014-02-12, 16:31   Link #22
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

110 episodes (and the price) is what stopped LoGH from coming over to the United States. It was tried. It just didn't work.

A new version of it might work because they can get in from the start. Or just a sequel would be fine. What happened afterwards with the Empire.

Several of the original voice actors are quite dead now. Others who started there are around though. Wakamoto is large in voice as always.
Old 2014-02-12, 18:09   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Nah, unless they want to diverge a lot from the novel they wouldn't add more characters (oh my god, even more characters XD), and it's a pretty tight story with not much room for original material (except for the same extent as the OVAs). And I don't see them turning Reinhard into a girl, people would kill them. (Also, no, no genderswitch for Reuenthal! How about Müller instead? Or Rubinsky, he's already a woman in the manga.)
When I said "add more girls", I was actually thinking of genderswapping some of the original cast. It definitely wouldn't make sense for them to add more characters. Turning existing men into women though -- that's totally doable. And I think they will do it if they want those otaku bucks, unless they decide to tap into another market.
Old 2014-02-12, 18:12   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Rather than being affronted at remaking a classic for its own sake - the original isn't going anywhere no matter what happens - what bothers me more than anything is that there's so much great stuff that's never been adapted at all or never adapted properly (YKK, anyone?) - why remake something they got right the first time?
Old 2014-02-12, 19:36   Link #25
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
what bothers me more than anything is that there's so much great stuff that's never been adapted at all or never adapted properly (YKK, anyone?) - why remake something they got right the first time?
Eh, LoGH is sort of an institution, and by now they've pretty much covered all kinds of adaptations short of a live-action movie/TV drama (and thank god for that). Clearly they still want some more milk from the cow, and an anime is a logical choice - the only choice, really, since there's a manga adaptation still being published.

By the way, as for the original not going anywhere - of course it doesn't. But there's also what's going on with Arslan senki. After having imprinted on Amano Yoshitaka's beautiful artwork for the novels, the anime's gorgeous settings and character designs, and a general "air" from both the novel and the anime, I'm still having trouble recognizing Arakawa's Arslan as "Arslan". Her art and style of storytelling just doesn't mesh with the Arslan I know. (I'll never understand why they picked her, of all mangaka, to do the adaptation... I'd kill for a new Arslan anime, but not one based on Arakawa's designs.) With anime LoGH, there's 26 years of history of the existing character & world designs, voices (mostly), and the general style of the OVAs. Rebooting it at this point is a bit like rebooting say, (UC) Gundam, with different character, mecha and world designs. Sure, it's plenty possible, and it wouldn't necessarily be bad, but... why mess with something that already passed into iconic? (<- rhetorical question)

But as I said, for all my wariness I'm curious. As long as they cast it well, don't try to "modernize" it by trying to appeal to mainstream/otaku tastes (no genderswitch, please no genderswitch, okay they can genderswitch Rubinsky and maybe some Rosenritters, but that's that XD), or dumb it down, it might even turn out to be pretty good. In any case, the new production has giant shoes to fill, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Several of the original voice actors are quite dead now. Others who started there are around though. Wakamoto is large in voice as always.
The old cast wouldn't be right for a new anime, reboot or no reboot. Their voices are not the same anymore, they picked up mannerisms, etc. (And as for Wakamoto, Reuenthal doesn't need a large voice, and just as well Wakamoto didn't use the stereotypical "Wakamoto voice" for him...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
When I said "add more girls", I was actually thinking of genderswapping some of the original cast. It definitely wouldn't make sense for them to add more characters. Turning existing men into women though -- that's totally doable. And I think they will do it if they want those otaku bucks, unless they decide to tap into another market.
They might do that (I rather hope they won't), but tbh I think if they don't want to be ridiculed they wouldn't try to go the otaku way, though. This is not a franchise that was ever meant to appeal to that audience.
Old 2014-02-12, 19:38   Link #26
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

The Free Planets Alliance anthem still stirs my heart :P

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2014-02-12, 20:31   Link #27
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
(YKK, anyone?)
The problem with THAT is the series is ridiculously mono no aware (really, everything is either dying, in a state of decay, or passing into the sunset), even more than ARIA (and that's saying a whole lot, given how relaxed ARIA is in general).

Though yes, puzzling, especially since LoGH isn't the type of show that's guaranteed to sell for the "modern" otaku market.
Old 2014-02-12, 21:46   Link #28
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am optimistic. If only because what is being tried is clearly something that isn't easy, and as such it is being done by people who would take it seriously.
As for length, it should not be difficult to separate the saga into TV episode cour lengths. It was originally a series of books right? So there should be story arcs that can conclude with some closure without needing hundreds of episodes.
Old 2014-02-12, 23:59   Link #29
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
With anime LoGH, there's 26 years of history of the existing character & world designs, voices (mostly), and the general style of the OVAs. Rebooting it at this point is a bit like rebooting say, (UC) Gundam, with different character, mecha and world designs. Sure, it's plenty possible, and it wouldn't necessarily be bad, but... why mess with something that already passed into iconic? (<- rhetorical question)
Good god it's like Yamato 2199 didn't happen in the last few years or something. If you want to talk iconic, if you want to talk about an anime being an institution than Yamato is the sun to LOGH's candle and the remake turned out bloody fine.
Old 2014-02-13, 00:13   Link #30
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
.... and the remake turned out bloody fine.
The thing is, Yamato 2199 didn't start out as a TV aired series -- it first aired as a theatrical project over a span of two or so years, with significant gaps in between releases. That's why it's been able to maintain a good level of quality for its entire run.

No word on how the new LoGH will be presented, but if it's going to be a TV airing there's going to be a smaller margin for budget shenanigans, as blowing budget on one episode will definitely be noticeable for in the ones that follow.
Old 2014-02-13, 03:01   Link #31
elior

Quote:
Eh, LoGH is sort of an institution, and by now they've pretty much covered all kinds of adaptations short of a live-action movie/TV drama (and thank god for that). Clearly they still want some more milk from the cow, and an anime is a logical choice - the only choice, really, since there's a manga adaptation still being published.

By the way, as for the original not going anywhere - of course it doesn't. But there's also what's going on with Arslan senki. After having imprinted on Amano Yoshitaka's beautiful artwork for the novels, the anime's gorgeous settings and character designs, and a general "air" from both the novel and the anime, I'm still having trouble recognizing Arakawa's Arslan as "Arslan". Her art and style of storytelling just doesn't mesh with the Arslan I know. (I'll never understand why they picked her, of all mangaka, to do the adaptation... I'd kill for a new Arslan anime, but not one based on Arakawa's designs.) With anime LoGH, there's 26 years of history of the existing character & world designs, voices (mostly), and the general style of the OVAs. Rebooting it at this point is a bit like rebooting say, (UC) Gundam, with different character, mecha and world designs. Sure, it's plenty possible, and it wouldn't necessarily be bad, but... why mess with something that already passed into iconic? (<- rhetorical question)

But as I said, for all my wariness I'm curious. As long as they cast it well, don't try to "modernize" it by trying to appeal to mainstream/otaku tastes (no genderswitch, please no genderswitch, okay they can genderswitch Rubinsky and maybe some Rosenritters, but that's that XD), or dumb it down, it might even turn out to be pretty good. In any case, the new production has giant shoes to fill, though.

The old cast wouldn't be right for a new anime, reboot or no reboot. Their voices are not the same anymore, they picked up mannerisms, etc. (And as for Wakamoto, Reuenthal doesn't need a large voice, and just as well Wakamoto didn't use the stereotypical "Wakamoto voice" for him...)

They might do that (I rather hope they won't), but tbh I think if they don't want to be ridiculed they wouldn't try to go the otaku way, though. This is not a franchise that was ever meant to appeal to that audience.
it not going to be remake at all acording to the writer of the novels the new series will not be a remake, but rather, will be adapting more from the original novels.
Old 2014-02-13, 04:22   Link #32
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
As for length, it should not be difficult to separate the saga into TV episode cour lengths. It was originally a series of books right? So there should be story arcs that can conclude with some closure without needing hundreds of episodes.
Well, LoGH isn't a "series of books" as much as a 10-volume long story. It's pretty tight, and none of the climatic moments can possibly serve as a good closure point without serious rewriting - otherwise the audience will go "WHAT? they end it HERE???" So yes, technically it can be done in say, 4 x ~26 ep cours, but there would still need to be 4 cours. (Of course it wouldn't necessarily need 110 episodes, that was just the result of the original production team's choice to include all the details, dialogues and so on, add some stuff to flesh things out, etc.)

(Now as for Arslan, THAT has a perfectly good stopping point... *is shot*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Good god it's like Yamato 2199 didn't happen in the last few years or something. If you want to talk iconic, if you want to talk about an anime being an institution than Yamato is the sun to LOGH's candle and the remake turned out bloody fine.
Yes, because we're holding the "which anime is older and therefore more iconic" Olympics, that's clearly the point I was trying to make... For one, what Myssa Rei said. Two, the original source material of Yamato is an anime, with set character and world designs, and all the remake did was retouch them to make them look more contemporary. With LoGH a new anime by a new production team means completely new visual designs (well it could be based on the manga but it's more likely that they'll make them from scratch). Three, the Yamato remake has the same episode number as the original, no worries over how they can squeeze the story into fewer episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
it not going to be remake at all acording to the writer of the novels the new series will not be a remake, but rather, will be adapting more from the original novels.
The ANN article said "another anime adaptation of the original novels with a new staff" which pretty much means a reboot. (In any case as far as I'm aware there aren't more novels to be adapted, the anime adaptation was pretty thorough.)
Old 2014-02-13, 04:41   Link #33
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I would be nice if they updated the portrayed spaceship warfare a little bit to modern standards, with all those ECM, ECCM, stealth fighters, bombers or whatever you find in games like EVE. The warfare feeling a little "dated" in LoGH was about the one pet peeve I had about the original OAV. A minor tho.
Old 2014-02-13, 04:46   Link #34
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

10,000 ships minimum seems to be the order of the day.
Old 2014-02-13, 04:51   Link #35
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
10,000 ships minimum seems to be the order of the day.
The amount of casualties during Yang and Reinhart's space chess game is just a statistic.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2014-02-13, 07:02   Link #36
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
The amount of casualties during Yang and Reinhart's space chess game is just a statistic.
I remember a vaguely hilarious conversation after (or during?) a battle, that went along these lines:
"So how many have we lost?"
"[insert mindboggingly huge number]"
"Okay, we're still doing better than the enemy!"
Old 2014-02-13, 08:07   Link #37
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Sci-fi authors are infamous for their absence of sense of scale. Let's not talk about how we all take World War I & II as templates as far as death toll is concerned. Hannibal Barca himself would be floored over the duration and death toll of the Battle of Kursk.
Old 2014-02-13, 19:22   Link #38
isamu99

Been hearing nothing but amazing things about this show(original). How would you rate it against say, the best Gundam series? UC 0079, ZETA, 00, etc?
Old 2014-02-13, 20:44   Link #39
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

The political, social and human dimension blow them out of water in my opinion.

Also, Yang Wen Li and Reinhardt von Lohengramm is one of the best rivalries I have even seen in this media.
Old 2014-02-14, 01:25   Link #40
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
Been hearing nothing but amazing things about this show(original). How would you rate it against say, the best Gundam series? UC 0079, ZETA, 00, etc?
It's a saga. Technically it isn't about a war, but the career of the two protagonists in the war. Don't know how the novel was like, but the OVAs are presented like a massive war documentary with a named cast of hundreds. A popular joke is that the show practically hired every male voice actor in the industry at the time out of necessity.

This is all about the big picture of the war; not many anime does this. You can't rate it compared to modern shows because they are not the same type of things.